Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW42: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Robin M

My husband used to joke that he was happy I maxed out library cards rather than credit cards; I was known to max out my, his, and our daughter's card.  My current library has no library hold request limit so far as I can tell; I currently have 102 items on hold.  It does, however, have a Saved Searches limit of 100; I have 96 such searches saved on my card and 99 on his.  I may need to start working on my daughter's card again ....

Regards,

Kareni

I need a t-shirt: I had children so I could get more library cards.

• Like 15

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished a Star Trek novel ~ Elusive Salvation (Star Trek: The Original Series)  by Dayton Ward; it was a quick and pleasant read, but it's definitely not a book I'll re-read. 

"The Arctic Circle, 1845: Escaping the tyranny under which their people have lived for generations, aliens from a distant planet crash land on Earth’s inhospitable frozen wastes. Surviving the harsh conditions will pose a challenge, but over time the aliens will migrate to more populated areas, with decades passing as they work to conceal their presence from their former oppressors, who continue to hunt them at any cost.

San Francisco, 2283: When a mysterious craft is detected entering the solar system, Admiral James Kirk is dispatched by Starfleet to confront the vessel. He meets with an emissary from the Iramahl, a previously unknown alien race who have come in search of their brothers and sisters thought to have gone missing in this area of space centuries earlier. Having recently thrown off the last chains of subjugation by another species, the Ptaen, they now believe their lost people hold the key to saving their entire race from eventual extinction.

New York, 1970: Roberta Lincoln, young protégé of the mysterious agent Gary Seven, is shocked when she receives the oddest request for help—from the future…"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 14

I just watched the most recent Poldark tonight. Are you on Series 2? I have the books someplace. Very dusty.

Glad to hear there are some other EZ fans here. Does not surprise me. I wish we all lived near each other. We would have so much fun!

Yes, I've been watching series 2 with my dds and I've just started listening to the second book in the series, Demelza. 

We would have a great time, for sure! Reading, knitting, add some chocolate and it's a  party! :)

eta - just finished reading the thread and think a BaW conference there sounds awesome! I'll bring my knitting!

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 11

#102: I read The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart to my boys (bedtime story).  It was so good!  It was a freebie I got almost two years ago.  It was so good that I got the second book and started reading it to them last night.  It's smart, sometimes funny, sometimes exciting.  All three of us loved it.

This was Aly's favorite series a couple of years ago.  We read it for her Book Club and we all loved it!  Aly loved all of them.

I had to read "Frankenstein" again since it's October. .

☺

What did you think?

I was surprised by the story because I some preconceived ideas about it from various films I had seen over the years and those were shot all to heck.

I had never really seen any of the films but I still had preconceived notions!!  This book totally surprised me (read it in January as part of a world view course).  I found Dr. Frankenstein despicable.  

Assuming I can find any time to read the next two weeks. It's Tech for dd's play, and since they are performing at two different venues two weeks in a row, we have to do two weeks of tech, back to back.  And I just found out last night that my duties apparently include running lights for the show - I've never touched a light board in my life, and I am not happy knowing I have the power to screw up the entire show at my fingertips.  This is one of those volunteer gigs that keeps growing . . . and GROWING . . . and GROWING!  At this point I can't wait till the show will be over.  :eek:

Aly is in theater (Singing in the Rain this year) and last year (our first year) I was shocked at how much was expected of me!!!  They practice the whole year August to April with performances the end of April.  It's very intense.  I volunteered quickly to help with ticket sales  :lol:  I figured I couldn't screw that up ;)

• Like 14

Some book-ish posts ~

In honor of this week's theme:

18 FRANKENSTEIN Covers From Around the World  by Jamie Canaves  (some of these are downright curious!)

and more covers ~

The Creepiest Book Covers  by Alison Nastasi  (one featured is by Shirley Jackson)

Last week I finished:

1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Enchanting tale. I read somewhere that the actress Julia Roberts highly recommends it.

Ethel, you might enjoy this post which mentions Coelho's book; it's the first in what will be a series of posts from the Frankfurt Book Fair.

Book tips from travel bloggers

Black History Month anthology seeks to broaden scope of African literature

"Digital-only publisher Bahati Books will release an anthology showcasing the “best in contemporary African writing†to mark Black History Month at the end of the month.

Throughout October the press is releasing one story each day, specifically written for the occasion, covering topics such as the Black Lives Matter movement, the power of stereotypes and the politics of hairstyles. At the end of October, Bahati Books will assemble the stories into an anthology which it will distribute for free."

Evidently yesterday was World Dictionary Day.  Here's a link to a three minute spelling challenge.  I scored 93%.  How about you?

Dictionary Day 2016: Missing Letters

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

I do read fast, but I also read instead of socializing, when I can't sleep, etc.   :001_rolleyes: Also I read a ton of plays this year and more than a usual number of YA books - reading things dd suggested or that I wanted to preview. And I listen to a lot of audiobooks while driving, so it's not all traditional "reading."  But I'm actually kind of serious when I say I think I read too much. I probably should make more of an effort to socialize with humans outside of my own family.  Or you guys.  ;)  :D

I make myself (at times) out my book away and go talk to people. Today at lunch I was sitting in my car reading Shirley Jackson, and then felt I was being a bit rude to my friends by not talking to them. So I put my book down and headed out to talk to live people. 

• Like 15

Tip of the hat to you theater moms! I always was so happy that I could just play in the pit orchestra and not have to volunteer for green room duty, for instance.

Assuming I can find any time to read the next two weeks. It's Tech for dd's play, and since they are performing at two different venues two weeks in a row, we have to do two weeks of tech, back to back.  And I just found out last night that my duties apparently include running lights for the show - I've never touched a light board in my life, and I am not happy knowing I have the power to screw up the entire show at my fingertips.  This is one of those volunteer gigs that keeps growing . . . and GROWING . . . and GROWING!  At this point I can't wait till the show will be over.  :eek:

2 tech weeks is rough, but you'll be fine running lights! I love being in the tech booth. You just hit the "go" button, and there should be a script in there with each "go" marked. And there should be a stage manager calling the show, too, so you won't be alone! But why don't they have students running tech? It's how my ds got his start -- the ds who is now a professional lighting guy -- loves to design the lights and program the board. The person who runs the board in professional theater is the "Master Electrician" -- you can smugly call yourself that! 

Aly is in theater (Singing in the Rain this year) and last year (our first year) I was shocked at how much was expected of me!!!  They practice the whole year August to April with performances the end of April.  It's very intense.  I volunteered quickly to help with ticket sales  :lol:  I figured I couldn't screw that up ;)

I've played that show -- it's a really fun one. But what a long, long run of rehearsals. My kids always had just 6 weeks, including tech, for each production. 

I closed a show a week ago Sunday after a 6 week run, then went into tech on Tuesday for another show, but it is only a 2 weekend run. It is an outdoor amphitheater, though, and it has been soooo cold in the pit!! I've been going to rehearsals and shows with 2 sweaters, fingerless gloves and a shawl to put over my lap just in case.  One of the key board players was bringing an electric blanket!

• Like 15

I have decided not to read The Passage right now. I'm not into giving it my all for 700 or so pages (plus two sequels).

I have started a collection of short stories: Vampire Stories, ed. by Richard Dalby.

744724.jpg

So far, I've read stories by Ivan Turgenev, Bram Stoker, E. Nesbit, & M.R. James. I'm not a huge fan of short stories in general, but it's kind of interesting to see the variety of 'vampire' tales from different authors & time periods. So far (no surprise, imo), Stoker's stands above the rest -- he just sets the standard for eerie, blood- & spine-tingling vampire tales.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 14

Tip of the hat to you theater moms! I always was so happy that I could just play in the pit orchestra and not have to volunteer for green room duty, for instance.

2 tech weeks is rough, but you'll be fine running lights! I love being in the tech booth. You just hit the "go" button, and there should be a script in there with each "go" marked. And there should be a stage manager calling the show, too, so you won't be alone! But why don't they have students running tech? It's how my ds got his start -- the ds who is now a professional lighting guy -- loves to design the lights and program the board. The person who runs the board in professional theater is the "Master Electrician" -- you can smugly call yourself that! 

I've played that show -- it's a really fun one. But what a long, long run of rehearsals. My kids always had just 6 weeks, including tech, for each production. 

I closed a show a week ago Sunday after a 6 week run, then went into tech on Tuesday for another show, but it is only a 2 weekend run. It is an outdoor amphitheater, though, and it has been soooo cold in the pit!! I've been going to rehearsals and shows with 2 sweaters, fingerless gloves and a shawl to put over my lap just in case.  One of the key board players was bringing an electric blanket!

Yep, green room is definitely the hardest job. Especially when your kids are little and the green room is full of . . . teenagers!  I've gotten a lot more comfortable with that as my kids have gotten older. 

The original idea was to have students running tech, but this particular show just didn't have enough kids come out to fill all the roles - it is a teen ensemble show, and it's about zombies, and there is a lot of colorful language and blood and guts, and I think some people sat it out for that reason, and others because auditions were during the first week of school in September and people were really overwhelmed. Anyway, they had offered Morgan the tech/stage manager role, and she really wanted to do it, but was too freaked out by the zombies. So when she bailed I stepped in to help out, and it's kind of one of those Godfather things - they keep pulling you in for more and more, because you're a warm, reasonably competent body and they need the help. So I'm supposedly stage managing and running lights, and a teenager is running sound.  We're running the teen ensemble show concurrently with an adult version of the show in the same space, directed by the same guy, and so it's all unusually chaotic.  And then after two shows in that space, we move to a different theater in a different town and do 5 shows there.  So it's an unusual show all the way around. 

Now that I got lights down, I realize I was being a little whiny - it really is as easy as you describe. It will be fine.  The main peril now is that one kid doesn't have his lines for the whole second act down.  And we only have two more rehearsals till we open!!!!!!   So that we're all freaking out about, a bit.

Morgan is auditioning for the next show, the musical Elf, as we speak. Shannon's going to sit this one out, and do Tech instead of performing. She's exhausted and burned out and still not well, so she needs to take a break.  I'm going to volunteer to sell tickets or something easy this time!!!  

• Like 14

Mumto2, They are doing some Hallmark movies about Aurora but the mainstream TV show is going to be based off of Midnight Crossroad. I want to say NBC is airing it?

I am waiting for some Shirley Jackson too. Hopefully the library will text my husband soon saying that it is in.

Jane, I love the photos! Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Oh man, I hope my kids are theatre kids. I loved being part of the theatre with a passion when I was a child and I'll admit, I felt more than one twinge of envy when I went to see Hamilton in Chicago a few weeks ago. I wanted to be the one on the stage, darnit! Ah, if only I had time to actually be a part of the theatre world again! I will have to settle for watching and hoping that my kids will want to be a part of it too.

• Like 12

... So I put my book down and headed out to talk to live people. 

I can tell that Halloween is getting closer since my first thought on reading this was to wonder what other kind of people you might talk to.  Dead people?  Zombies!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 15

A quick thank you to all of you who raved about The Plover since it made me seek out the book and read it.  Just finished it and loved the journey. Loved the ending, the birds, the ocean and the characters. Kept humming the snippets of music, trying to figure out if I recognized the tune (I didn't) and now see in the ending acknowledgements that it is a song by a Hawaiian singer. 

• Like 11

A couple more photos for you:

On Orcas Island, my husband did an eight mile hike to the top of Mount Constitution and down again. I had heard that there was a rocky descent so I opted for a four mile loop around a mountain lake. When my walk was finished, our group was bused to the top of Mount Constitution so we too could climb the observation tower for the view:

30396579965_995b4d0757.jpg

The sun does shine in the Pacific Northwest! That is the ever present Mount Baker in the distance. It was our view the following night too as we enjoyed s'mores around a bonfire on Sucia Island.

30280343222_b25bb77d88.jpg

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 22

Mumto2, They are doing some Hallmark movies about Aurora but the mainstream TV show is going to be based off of Midnight Crossroad. I want to say NBC is airing it?

I am waiting for some Shirley Jackson too. Hopefully the library will text my husband soon saying that it is in.

Jane, I love the photos! Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Oh man, I hope my kids are theatre kids. I loved being part of the theatre with a passion when I was a child and I'll admit, I felt more than one twinge of envy when I went to see Hamilton in Chicago a few weeks ago. I wanted to be the one on the stage, darnit! Ah, if only I had time to actually be a part of the theatre world again! I will have to settle for watching and hoping that my kids will want to be a part of it too.

The only series of hers I don't particularly enjoy. :lol: I did join a list for the second book. Never finished.

• Like 8

A couple more photos for you:

On Orcas Island, my husband did an eight mile hike to the top of Mount Constitution and down again. I had heard that there was a rocky descent so I opted for a four mile loop around a mountain lake. When my walk was finished, our group was bused to the top of Mount Constitution so we too could climb the observation tower for the view:

30396579965_995b4d0757.jpg

The sun does shine in the Pacific Northwest! That is the ever present Mount Baker in the distance. It was our view the following night too as we enjoyed s'mores around a bonfire on Sucia Island.

30280343222_b25bb77d88.jpg

Jane, I'm so enjoying your photos and descriptions of your trip. We did just the same thing! On the day dh decided to climb Mt Constitution, the girls and I did the Mountain Lake loop.

It looks like you had lovely weather. We did too, in August. I've always wondered what Fall is like there, gorgeous it looks like.  What was the temperature?

• Like 13

Jane, I'm so enjoying your photos and descriptions of your trip. We did just the same thing! On the day dh decided to climb Mt Constitution, the girls and I did the Mountain Lake loop.

It looks like you had lovely weather. We did too, in August. I've always wondered what Fall is like there, gorgeous it looks like.  What was the temperature?

About 60 during the day, mid 50s at night.  Being on the water, we often needed to don a rain coat for wind protection.

On the Mountain Lake loop, we found a sunny spot for our picnic lunch.  There I removed my fleece, only to put it back on when we returned to the trail which is almost exclusively in the shade, as you know. 

I'm really glad I invested in waterproof gloves for paddling.  The kayak skirts kept us dry and my feet never felt cold while paddling.  But I think my hands would have been chilled without gloves!

The weather turned on Thursday.  We were supposed to go to Port Stewart that day but instead the boat went into the protected marina at Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. My husband has not posted pictures yet from San Juan Island but I am hoping to include something from the Whale Museum.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 15

Yesterday I read the new adult romance #Nerd (Hashtag Series Book 1)  by Cambria Hebert; it was a pleasant read but probably not a book I'll re-read.  (Adult content)

"Two people from completely different worlds are about to be thrown together...

In more ways than one.

She wants to keep her scholarship. He wants to stay on the team. An awkward alliance doesn't even begin to cover Rimmel and Romeo's relationship.

But that's about to change.

It starts with a dare. An initiation. A challenge.

Quickly, it turns into more. But when you're a victim of your status, there is no room for anything real. The rules are clear and simple.

Stick to your circle.

And never fall in love with anyone on the outside."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

A currently free audio book

FREE: The Dispatcher  by John Scalzi and Zachary Quinto

The Dispatcher is free until November 2, 2016.

"Zachary Quinto - best known for his role as the Nimoy-approved Spock in the recent Star Trek reboot and the menacing, power-stealing serial killer, Sylar, in Heroes - brings his well-earned sci-fi credentials and simmering intensity to this audio-exclusive novella from master storyteller John Scalzi.

One day, not long from now, it becomes almost impossible to murder anyone - 999 times out of a thousand, anyone who is intentionally killed comes back. How? We don't know. But it changes everything: war, crime, daily life.

Tony Valdez is a Dispatcher - a licensed, bonded professional whose job is to humanely dispatch those whose circumstances put them in death's crosshairs, so they can have a second chance to avoid the reaper. But when a fellow Dispatcher and former friend is apparently kidnapped, Tony learns that there are some things that are worse than death and that some people are ready to do almost anything to avenge a supposed wrong.

It's a race against time for Valdez to find his friend before it's too late...before not even a Dispatcher can save him."

There's a recommended review at the Dear Author site here.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Feeling like I ought to develop some taste for the Lost Generation, I read Steinbeck's Cannery Row. The uplifting sentiment of Community and the light humor were entertaining and a welcome change from the only Steinbeck I'd previously read (the two usual high school warhorses). But I was glad he kept it short, as I was pretty much at my limit of the Whorehouse Madam with a Heart of Gold, and the Drunken Layabouts with Hearts of Gold, and the Chinese Immigrant Storekeeper with a Heart of Gold, and the displaced Cultured Stand-In For the Author with a Heart of Gold. 

Anyway. I thought I'd finish out October with one more spooky read, having done Ambrose Bierce's gothic ghost stories and Dracula, so I borrowed Great Girl's copy of Lovecraft's The Dream-Quest of Something Something. (Dh read all the Lovecraft oeuvre in high school and I thought maybe I should read something of his.) So I read the first paragraph--

Three times Randolph Carter dreamed of the marvellous city, and three times was he snatched away while still he paused on the high terrace above it. All golden and lovely it blazed in the sunset, with walls, temples, colonnades, and arched bridges of veined marble, silver-basined fountains of prismatic spray in broad squares and perfumed gardens, and wide streets marching between delicate trees and blossom-laden urns and ivory statues in gleaming rows; while on steep northward slopes climbed tiers of red roofs and old peaked gables harbouring little lanes of grassy cobbles. It was a fever of the gods; a fanfare of supernal trumpets and a clash of immortal cymbals. Mystery hung about it as clouds about a fabulous unvisited mountain; and as Carter stood breathless and expectant on that balustraded parapet there swept up to him the poignancy and suspense of almost-vanished memory, the pain of lost things, and the maddening need to place again what once had been an awesome and momentous place.

--and I thought to myself, Violet, you have already read Bulwer-Lytton. And I put it away. So instead I'm reading Ryunosuke Akutagawa's Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories, and getting in some non-Western literature for a change.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 13

Currently free to Kindle readers.  (I'm fairly certain that I read and enjoyed this some years ago.)

The Stargazer: The Arboretti Family Saga by Michele Jaffe

"Combines historical context with lush sensuality and nuanced wit." — Publisher's Weekly

"Jaffe...develops a sensual, exciting, and amusing tale, richly embellished with details of Renaissance life." â€” Library Journal

"Jaffe's characters are intriguing, and the plot's many twists and turns are wonderfully entertaining." â€” Booklist

"Bianca Salva's love of science has led her to defy the conventions of her day and illicitly practice medicine among the poor of Venice. She's managed to keep her pass time a secret—until she is discovered over the lifeless body of a young courtesan, by the last person she'd ever want to see.

Ian Foscari, Conte d'Aosto, is known for being rich, handsome...and heartless. Finding Bianca over the dead body, he concludes she's the murderer. Yet for reasons he cannot explain, her protests move him. He offers to give her one week to prove her innocence, but she'll have to move into his house and be his prisoner. Her other option: the authorities and certain death.

Bianca has no choice but to agree to his maddening terms. She's furious at having to cede her hard won freedom, and unprepared for the effect of his presence on her, for the longings he awakes in parts of her body she's only studied in books. As Bianca struggles to focus on finding the killer, Ian fights his own battle between the undeniable attraction he feels for her and the painful scars of his past. 

When their mutual attraction blazes to life, they are both dazzled by it's force. Passion burns through their reserves, teaching them both to trust again. Love again. But this fragile alliance is soon tested. Lured into a web of scheming and betrayal, Bianca and Ian find themselves in a race against the clock to save their lives, their hearts, and the city of Venice itself."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 10

But I was glad he kept it short, as I was pretty much at my limit of the Whorehouse Madam with a Heart of Gold, and the Drunken Layabouts with Hearts of Gold, and the Chinese Immigrant Storekeeper with a Heart of Gold, and the displaced Cultured Stand-In For the Author with a Heart of Gold. 

I think this should be included in the Cliff Notes version. :lol:

so I borrowed Great Girl's copy of Lovecraft's The Dream-Quest of Something Something. (Dh read all the Lovecraft oeuvre in high school and I thought maybe I should read something of his.) So I read the first paragraph--

--and I thought to myself, Violet, you have already read Bulwer-Lytton. And I put it away. So instead I'm reading Ryunosuke Akutagawa's Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories, and getting in some non-Western literature for a change.

I also (briefly) started The Dream-Quest of Something Something. And, there are lots of words & places & creatures that are things that are hard to remember. I decided that when/if I read the entire thing, I'm just going to have to skim along & not stop & try to remember all this stuff. :tongue_smilie:

Looking forward to your comments on Rashomon.

Stacia, I was delighted to find a little something in the mail today. :) I'm actually expecting a code violation citation in the mail any day (don't ask...), so it was a pleasant surprise!

Yay. And uh-oh. Hope it's nothing terrible. :grouphug:

• Like 12

I finished listening to Bonfire of the Vanities.  Wow, what a sprawling mess of a story. I probably wouldn't have read the whole thing, but I really enjoyed the audio version, the reader did all the different NY accents, from WASP patrician to Bronx Jew/Italian/Irish/Black/Puerto Rican very well. It was always clear which character was speaking.  And Tom Wolfe gets the distinction of having written a huge book without a single sympathetic or likable character, but which manages to make you occasionally sympathize anyway. The ending felt abrupt - it was like the agent said, "Ok, Tom, the publisher absolutely will not print another page" and so he stopped the story and wrapped things up in an epilogue. But it was a story that made you think about all sides, without actually taking a side, if you know what I mean. That's quite skillful writing.

I started listening to The Secret History, and I'm liking it very much so far. It's read by the author, which can be really wonderful. Donna Tartt has a slightly odd but interesting accent.

I also finished Underground Airlines. That was a tough book to read and a tough book to like. It's really disturbing to look at this alternative world and compare it to our own and see the parallels, and wonder if such major path diversions really could be caused by a single act affecting the leadership of a country at a critical time . . . There was a reveal near the end that I didn't like, I didn't think it fit, and the ending seemed a bit like it was designed to set up a sequel rather than end this story, and a lot of the whole extended ending sequence was really, really farfetched. I mean, even for an alternate history story.  I think that the author had a great idea and mostly executed it extremely well, but I definitely had some quibbles with some of his choices. This is an author I will continue to keep an eye on, he definitely does fresh and unique things, particularly in his visions of the future.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 15

I finished listening to Bonfire of the Vanities.  Wow, what a sprawling mess of a story.

I've never read a Tom Wolfe book, even though I've always felt like I *should* read him.

I started listening to The Secret History, and I'm liking it very much so far. It's read by the author, which can be really wonderful. Donna Tartt has a slightly odd but interesting accent.

I remember loving that book, but I read it when it first came out. So far, I've loved all three of her books (though many people weren't keen on her second book) & love that she produces only one book about every dozen years or so. Lol.

I also finished Underground Airlines. That was a tough book to read and a tough book to like. It's really disturbing to look at this alternative world and compare it to our own and see the parallels, and wonder if such major path diversions really could be caused by a single act affecting the leadership of a country at a critical time . . . There was a reveal near the end that I didn't like, I didn't think it fit, and the ending seemed a bit like it was designed to set up a sequel rather than end this story, and a lot of the whole extended ending sequence was really, really farfetched. I mean, even for an alternate history story.  I think that the author had a great idea and mostly executed it extremely well, but I definitely had some quibbles with some of his choices. This is an author I will continue to keep an eye on, he definitely does fresh and unique things, particularly in his visions of the future.

I'm glad to read your comments. I agree that some of the things in the second half were more far-fetched, but I was willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of the story. And, I'm not sure I've ever read a different alternative history, so I have no idea how far (or not) authors tend to go w/ those, kwim?

I agree with you that it felt like the ending left plenty of room for a sequel. Personally, I hate that in stories, I guess because I'm not a sequel person.

Still, overall, I thought it was well-done & very thought-provoking. Would be a good book club read.

• Like 13

I finished The Haunting of Hill House. It was okay, but it had essence of The Turn of the Screw, which I hadn't really cared for.

Hmmm.

After loving We Have Always Lived in the Castle, I had briefly considered The Haunting of Hill House. Interesting that you compare it to The Turn of the Screw. I liked The Turn of the Screw (but didn't love it) & still prefer vampires over ghosts &/or crazy governesses. Lol.

• Like 13

Lurker popping to to say thanks for the LONG AGO book recommendations of Code Name Verity (which I could hardly put down!), and Heyer's The Grand Sophy (pretty much had a smile on my face the whole book).  

I always enjoy reading this thread.

Hi to lurker Karen A! :seeya:

Hope you continue to pop in & post more often. :)

• Like 11

I definitely liked We Have Always Lived at the Castle more than The Haunting of Hill House.  They aren't even similar, really.  

The comparison to Turn of the Screw is interesting - I guess I don't see it so much but then I like TotS a lot.  Hill House made me think more of a Steven King novel, though far less graphic. But a similar feel.  I think partly because I had read Rose Red previously and even though Hill House came first, they were so similar that it felt already done.  Not fair to Shirley Jackson!  But just a very different style of narrator and story than Castle.

• Like 12

I definitely liked We Have Always Lived at the Castle more than The Haunting of Hill House. They aren't even similar, really.

The comparison to Turn of the Screw is interesting - I guess I don't see it so much but then I like TotS a lot. Hill House made me think more of a Steven King novel, though far less graphic. But a similar feel. I think partly because I had read Rose Red previously and even though Hill House came first, they were so similar that it felt already done. Not fair to Shirley Jackson! But just a very different style of narrator and story than Castle.

The similarities I saw were the neurotic female element and the inability of the reader to confidently assess what actually happened because of contradictions in the story. Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 14

Me!  Yes, the McGonagall story was excellent.  JK's thoughts I think really made the books.  I loved them.

I loved the backstory for her.  It was just wonderful and bittersweet and totally believable. 

51gllUJtd1L.jpg

This one - it's the Kindle version. I ordered the paperback for my aunt because as I was reading it, all I could think of is that my aunt would love this book. :-)

That appears to be a low budget cover but nothing out and out silly like ...

9780812533415-us.jpg

LOL!

:svengo: what a wonderful problem to have!

I read this after reading Imprudent Lady that you sent me.  I didn't really enjoy it half as much.  Imprudent Lady was great.  Strange Capers was a bit strange. 

Thanks!  And give Flavia a try.  I guess you could skip #7 but I enjoyed it.  It was different but I think it gave us some more insight into Flavia herself.  Though I agree with mum2, you would not be totally confused if you skip #7.

I read two more Joan Smith's this week that were just okay.  Her books are either delightful or completely miss the mark.  I think the worst are the ones with a mystery.  That was not her strength. 

My favorites of hers have been:

Imprudent Lady

Cousin Cecilia

Escapade

Winter Wedding

A Country Wooing

Tea ans Scandal

Lady Hathaway's House Party

Talk of the Town

It appears that I might be the first BaWer to finish Robb's Apprentice in Death https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28186363-apprentice-in-death. I can't figure out how I managed to read it before Robin and Teacherzee. I enjoyed it. It's amazing how this series keeps staying enjoyable.

I don't think I ever mentioned that I listened to another Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody. A few weeks ago the narrator and voices were discussed for this series. They are irritating but at that point I didn't mind overly. The Lion in the Valley was boring and the narrator didn't help. I join the pretty tired of Ramses group and hope that I manage to find another series to listen to the next time I need an audio book.

We might have discussed this before but my memory is not so good ... the narrator for The Cat Who series is great (I know you're planning on rereading them anyway), the Brother Cadfael narrator is awesome, ditto the Inspector Rutledge series which is at best semi-cozy, Inspector Gamache narrator is fantastic.  Some of the Agatha Christie stories are narrated by David Suchet or Hugh Fraser.  :001_tt1:

I also read Awkward by Svetlana Chmakova because of Amy's glowing recommendation here. I loved it! My teen and preteen dds loved it! Thank you, Amy!! Looking forward to a sequel.

Yay!  That makes me so happy.

30371496005_b6796bb90c.jpg

Looks like a splendid adventure. 

I have exceeded my library hold requests...

We have that problem here too.  We can check out as many as we want but can only have 25 holds at once.  Luckily they get our books in fast so I just have to make a lot of trips to the library.  "Reader Family Problems"

• Like 15

I finished listening to Bonfire of the Vanities. Wow, what a sprawling mess of a story. I probably wouldn't have read the whole thing, but I really enjoyed the audio version, the reader did all the different NY accents, from WASP patrician to Bronx Jew/Italian/Irish/Black/Puerto Rican very well. It was always clear which character was speaking. And Tom Wolfe gets the distinction of having written a huge book without a single sympathetic or likable character, but which manages to make you occasionally sympathize anyway. The ending felt abrupt - it was like the agent said, "Ok, Tom, the publisher absolutely will not print another page" and so he stopped the story and wrapped things up in an epilogue. But it was a story that made you think about all sides, without actually taking a side, if you know what I mean.

Bonfire encapsulates everything I hated about the 80's. As you stated (and I accidentally erased), the writing is skillful.

• Like 11

I just finished You Say Potato: The Story of English Accents, which I picked up in England last summer. I also read (quick, wonderful reads!) Lord Berners' memoirs (I knew him only as Lord Merlin in Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love). I am now reading Martin Short's memoir I Must Say – funny and sweet. (It is worth it just for the story of the "colonoscopy parties" he says he has every few years with his buddies Tom H and Steve M :lol: ) Still listening to Bill Bryson read his book One Summer: America, 1927 on our infrequent long drives. Thanks for the updates, everyone!

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 10

Since I wasn't sure if the newest Flavia really counted for Spooky October, I went ahead and finished World War Z by Max Brooks (plus it helped me get another book done since I was over half-way through it).  I'll have to ponder what I'll rate this.  I was expecting it to be like the movie.  It wasn't.  The only thing from the book that was in the movie was the Israeli "10th Man."  I was so disappointed.  Because it was a far cry from what I was expecting, I can't really decide if I liked the book on its own or not.

• Like 12

Lurker popping to to say thanks for the LONG AGO book recommendations of Code Name Verity (which I could hardly put down!), and Heyer's The Grand Sophy (pretty much had a smile on my face the whole book).  

Welcome, Karen!  Please continue to chime in.  

Regards,

Kareni (who is always predisposed to like someone whose name starts with the same five letters as mine)

• Like 10

I saw that!  Santa brings each of my kids a book every year and I'm thinking that would be really fun for Fritz.

What books have you given in the past and loved?  I do that too.  Our absolute favorites have been:

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Holly and Ivy

So happy you enjoyed The Grand Sophy.  Have you read any other Georgette Heyer books?  If you want to try another one my second favorite is Cotillion. 

• Like 13

Finished:

A Nun in the Closet by Dorothy Gilman - I almost gave up on this about fifty pages in but it just felt too silly.  I'm glad I didn't because it ended up being an entertaining story.  Nuns.  Hippies.  Suits.  A mystery.  An over-the-top unbelievable ending.  It's by the same author as the Mrs. Polifax books so I suspect if you like those you'd enjoy this.

If anyone wants this book let me know and I'll send it your way otherwise it's getting donated to the library.  I'm willing to mail over the Pond also.

• Like 12

Kareni - I don't know if I've told you this before but I really appreciate all the cool links you post.  You seem to find the most interesting things!  Thanks for taking the time to share them here. 

• Like 9