Menu

AP exam locations - planning ahead - UPDATE post #15 and 31

We are starting to make some tentative decisions about classes dd might take next year.  We have some concerns about access to AP exams which might be a factor in course selection.  We are very geographically isolated and rural in addition to having local school districts that are traditionally hostile toward homeschoolers. Traveling for exams is not out of the question but is just another factor in her/our decisions.  

Would it be inappropriate for me to contact our local schools a whole year in advance to find out if they would even consider helping us out?  I know that there are no guarantees but a general idea of how open they might or might not be to helping us, would be helpful.  It is very possible that we will be the first local homeschoolers to even ask about AP exam access so I would like to give them as much heads up as possible if they are even remotely willing to work with us.  Plus, there are several districts in our area and it would be good to identify which ones slam the door immediately and which ones don't.

Thoughts?  Any advice would be welcome.

Edited by skimomma
  • Like 2

I wouldn't hesitate to call now and get a preliminary feel for who offers what. It might be helpful if you had an idea of the APs you'd be interested in taking. Some schools will only offer exams for courses they have at the high school while others may be more flexible. I was pleasantly surprised by our local school district. They have been very nice to work with and the alternative high school will proctor any AP exam in addition to the ones they normally administer. However, many on these boards have not been so lucky with local schools.

The AP Course Ledger can help you get an idea of which courses are offered at which schools.

• Like 4

Yes, I would contact them.  I, too, was pleasantly surprised by how easy my district was to work with.  It's good to have a name.  As well, the guidance counsellor invited ds to the college info meetings, college fair, financial aid meeting, etc and offered to be of help with the college process. Yay!  This is not what I expected.  My district tends to act difficult and strict on paper, but is actually a teddy bear in practice. So weird.  How I wish that the College Board Tests (except the SAT) were not handled at the whim of the school districts.

The AP Course Ledger can help you get an idea of which courses are offered at which schools.

Thanks!  I could not find this on my own on the site (which means I did not recognize that "ledger" was what I was looking for).

A quick search found that the closest school that offers the subject we are looking for is 8 hours away!  And that of all of my local (within two hours) school districts, only two offer AP anything.  Wow.  Let's hope one is cooperative!

Thanks!  I could not find this on my own on the site (which means I did not recognize that "ledger" was what I was looking for).

A quick search found that the closest school that offers the subject we are looking for is 8 hours away!  And that of all of my local (within two hours) school districts, only two offer AP anything.  Wow.  Let's hope one is cooperative!

Be careful you may get shut out from taking the actual AP exam. Some home schooling folks have experienced that.

You may consider dual enrollment online at an in-state CC if you are really that far from any urban area (assuming you have decent internet access).

I prefer the AP route for many courses such as English and History but you don't have many places to take the actual exam.

Edited by MarkT

I wouldn't hesitate to call now and get a preliminary feel for who offers what. It might be helpful if you had an idea of the APs you'd be interested in taking. Some schools will only offer exams for courses they have at the high school while others may be more flexible. I was pleasantly surprised by our local school district. They have been very nice to work with and the alternative high school will proctor any AP exam in addition to the ones they normally administer. However, many on these boards have not been so lucky with local schools.

I agree. You have to start early. You can get an idea pretty quickly what their attitude is in a phone call. 

And BTW, the Ledger is just a list of courses that MIGHT be offered because they have an approved syllabus.

When I was trying to find a place for a Latin AP in 2014, I was shocked at how many schools listed AP Latin and then didn't actually offer the class.

Don't assume anything!

• Like 1

Also check private schools in your area if there are any on the course ledger. Sometimes they are more amenable to proctoring a single exam for a fee.

I certainly would do so if we had any private schools as I suspect you are right in that they might be more cooperative.

I agree. You have to start early. You can get an idea pretty quickly what their attitude is in a phone call. 

And BTW, the Ledger is just a list of courses that MIGHT be offered because they have an approved syllabus.

When I was trying to find a place for a Latin AP in 2014, I was shocked at how many schools listed AP Latin and then didn't actually offer the class.

Don't assume anything!

That is the class I'm looking for and there are so few that are even approved, I know I am likely going to have to find a school that will help us even if they do not offer it.  I was hoping one of our local(ish) schools would at least offer a class that has an exam on the same day, but that is not looking like a possibility either.  I do so wish there were some independent testing centers that were not tied to schools.

• Like 1

I certainly would do so if we had any private schools as I suspect you are right in that they might be more cooperative.

Just FYI, I have found our local public schools to be more receptive than the private ones, so YMMV.  I would just begin with the schools closest to you and then go from there.  

• Like 1

Just FYI, I have found our local public schools to be more receptive than the private ones, so YMMV.  I would just begin with the schools closest to you and then go from there.  

Fingers crossed.  I have left messages with the guidance counselors at the two local schools that offer AP classes. 

Fingers crossed.  I have left messages with the guidance counselors at the two local schools that offer AP classes. 

I have also had good luck emailing the AP instructors directly.  They usually aren't the ones making the decisions about gets to take it, but they do forward my email to the admin who is in charge.   

• Like 3

According to the AP course ledger, none of my district high schools host the AP Physics C exam and only one host the AP Chem exam even though both high schools offer. 

UCScout has many AP Physics exams but no AP Chem. I do have a private center near enough offering AP Chem exam if my kids ever want to take that, they just charge outsiders more than their own students.

Well.  That did not go well.  I got responses from both schools today.  One simply said "We only offer testing to our own students.  Sorry." The other was not so nice....."If you have rejected our local schools, don't expect us to help you with testing."  Wow.  I knew to expect little help but did not expect judgmental rudeness.  I have forwarded that response to the superintendent as I feel it was inappropriate.  

Am I missing any options here?  The only thing I can think to do is start contacting schools in more populated areas where we have family we could stay with. 

Are there any test sites not affiliated with school districts?  

Private schools and my area happened to have a state university extension office that would proctor AP exams as well as other universities online classes exams.

Since you are rural do you have any state universities extension offices nearby showing up on the AP course ledger?

Private schools and my area happened to have a state university extension office that would proctor AP exams as well as other universities online classes exams.

Since you are rural do you have any state universities extension offices nearby showing up on the AP course ledger?

I just searched through all of the listings for my state but do not see anything other than high schools listed.  Would an extension office be listed in the ledger or would the schools that the kids come from be listed?

Our local university (that I teach at) has a testing center.  Is there a way for me to make this happen on my own?  Can I have the testing proctored there somehow?  

Well.  That did not go well.  I got responses from both schools today.  One simply said "We only offer testing to our own students.  Sorry." The other was not so nice....."If you have rejected our local schools, don't expect us to help you with testing."  Wow.  I knew to expect little help but did not expect judgmental rudeness.  I have forwarded that response to the superintendent as I feel it was inappropriate.  

Am I missing any options here?  The only thing I can think to do is start contacting schools in more populated areas where we have family we could stay with. 

Wow, that is rude.  You know, you don't actually need to tell them you are homeschooled.  I just say that we live in the district but don't attend their high school.  You say your student is studying independently using an accredited class, and does not need accommodations.  Also mention that you are willing to pay any registration and proctoring costs.  I usually put all that into an email.  I never call.  

Public schools, private schools, after school testing centers.  I didn't bother with the College Board list, I just started emailing AP teachers at local schools.  

Bleah, I hate it when people are rude.  I have a hard time shaking it off.  

• Like 1

Wow, that is rude.  You know, you don't actually need to tell them you are homeschooled.  I just say that we live in the district but don't attend their high school.  You say your student is studying independently using an accredited class, and does not need accommodations.  Also mention that you are willing to pay any registration and proctoring costs.  I usually put all that into an email.  I never call.  

Public schools, private schools, after school testing centers.  I didn't bother with the College Board list, I just started emailing AP teachers at local schools.  

Bleah, I hate it when people are rude.  I have a hard time shaking it off.  

I wish I had thought of not using the word "homeschool" in my inquiry.  I am pretty mad right now.  There is a very small chance that dd will attend school here at some point but that would mean dealing with the guidance counselor that sent that message.  Somehow, I don't think that will be a pleasant experience...... 

Blech - I hate rudeness.

We have a local public high school who has been very willing to work with us - even saying that they'll give tests they don't typically administer and accommodations. I hope you can work things out. I'd suggest contacting schools in other districts and seeing what you can do.

Our local counselor says that she has to sign an agreement to be an AP testing center that they will test anyone. I KNOW that so many don't do this but it made me wonder last year when she told me she has to sign this agreement.

Good luck....

• Like 1

Our local counselor says that she has to sign an agreement to be an AP testing center that they will test anyone. I KNOW that so many don't do this but it made me wonder last year when she told me she has to sign this agreement.

Hmmm.  Anyone know if this is true?  If so, how can schools decline to test outside of their own students?

I just searched through all of the listings for my state but do not see anything other than high schools listed.  Would an extension office be listed in the ledger or would the schools that the kids come from be listed?

Our local university (that I teach at) has a testing center.  Is there a way for me to make this happen on my own?  Can I have the testing proctored there somehow?  

The office is listed on the ledger. They have an admin that does the proctoring arrangements as part of her job and the office earns a decent proctoring fee for the exams they are willing to proctor.  

Your university might become a testing center. However I don't know how willing they will be. Instructions in link on how to become a testing center.

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/start_grow_ap/start_ap/232581.html

As for AP testing center having to test anyone, I do know my local high school is stretched on space.  When my kid took the ACT there, the tables were close enough for kids to be able to see another kid's bubble sheet. I don't know if they are obliged to open up more classrooms and pay for more staff to come in to proctor especially when the AP exams are on a school day. My neighbors high school kids still go to school during AP exam season.

I wonder if a community college or university testing center could give the AP exams, if they do other college board exams? The ones here have a long list of tests they give and do other tests by appointment. When the college board screwed up my PRAXIS (they were supposed to hand score the test book per my 504, but it got sent with the rest from that test site to be shredded), the college testing center proctored a special re-test between test dates. And I will say that in dealing with the CC recently, I've found them unfailingly polite.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 1

The office is listed on the ledger. They have an admin that does the proctoring arrangements as part of her job and the office earns a decent proctoring fee for the exams they are willing to proctor.  

Your university might become a testing center. However I don't know how willing they will be. Instructions in link on how to become a testing center.

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/start_grow_ap/start_ap/232581.html

As for AP testing center having to test anyone, I do know my local high school is stretched on space.  When my kid took the ACT there, the tables were close enough for kids to be able to see another kid's bubble sheet. I don't know if they are obliged to open up more classrooms and pay for more staff to come in to proctor especially when the AP exams are on a school day. My neighbors high school kids still go to school during AP exam season.

I can at least start the conversation.  

There is zero reason for our local schools to deny outside students.  We are talking very very small schools.  They have a handful of AP students annually.  All but two of our local schools (within two hours drive) do not even offer AP because their enrollment numbers do not warrant it.  This is not a space issue.  This is either due to not knowing how to handle it or just sheer hostility towards homeschoolers.  

• Like 3

Personally I would not risk it if you really need the "outside" grade -  how about DE via an online provider?  

It sounds like small school districts are less accommodating.

You could easily be shut-out of taking any exams.  In this respect (AP exams) the CB needs to improve.

Edited by MarkT

We have had to search far afield for AP exams.  A couple of our courses were less common (Latin, European History and Comparative Government).

For one exam, we had to test on the other side of a large county.  We had hotel arrangements for the night before in order to avoid a couple hour morning commute.

Don't feel that you have to limit yourself to only your local schools.  Expand around your local area.  Call and ask at private schools.  Ask for referrals.

It might be a solution to stay with family and take exams near to them.  My emergency fall back was to do this.  You might be able to combine it with a college visit or two in the area.

I'm glad that you wrote to the Superintendent.  You might refer the district officials to the College Board AP Equity and Access Policy (on the first page of the AP Coordinator's Manual and the first page of every AP Course Description) and ask if a blanket policy on not permitting homeschoolers to test meets the spirit of equity and access.

Having said that, I would not choose to test at the school that was unkind.  It is too easy to change markings or lose paperwork.  

ETA:  CB Policy on Home-Schooled Students.  

"Because parents and students cannot order exams directly, the AP Program encourages schools to assist home-schooled students and students whose schools do not offer AP courses and exams.

These students will be using their own school’s code or the state home-school code, and their exam scores will not be included with your school’s score reports."

It says to contact coordinators no later than Mar 1, but that is very late.  You might contact CB now to get a list of coordinators for your area so you can go farther afield.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 2

We have had to search far afield for AP exams.  A couple of our courses were less common (Latin, European History and Comparative Government).

For one exam, we had to test on the other side of a large county.  We had hotel arrangements for the night before in order to avoid a couple hour morning commute.

Don't feel that you have to limit yourself to only your local schools.  Expand around your local area.  Call and ask at private schools.  Ask for referrals.

It might be a solution to stay with family and take exams near to them.  My emergency fall back was to do this.  You might be able to combine it with a college visit or two in the area.

I'm glad that you wrote to the Superintendent.  You might refer the district officials to the College Board AP Equity and Access Policy (on the first page of the AP Coordinator's Manual and the first page of every AP Course Description) and ask if a blanket policy on not permitting homeschoolers to test meets the spirit of equity and access.

Having said that, I would not choose to test at the school that was unkind.  It is too easy to change markings or lose paperwork.  

ETA:  CB Policy on Home-Schooled Students.  

"Because parents and students cannot order exams directly, the AP Program encourages schools to assist home-schooled students and students whose schools do not offer AP courses and exams.

These students will be using their own school’s code or the state home-school code, and their exam scores will not be included with your school’s score reports."

It says to contact coordinators no later than Mar 1, but that is very late.  You might contact CB now to get a list of coordinators for your area so you can go farther afield.

Thanks for this.  I did get a response from the superintendent and in my response to her response, I will include that link and wording.  She apologized for the rudeness of the response but did say it was school policy to not allow homeschoolers access to the tests.  

I did contact CB first to ask for coordinators but they said they would not be available until January 1.  But, with our local schools, they are so small I was able to find out who the coordinators were by asking around.  I will be casting the net further as I continue to search for a solution.

Thanks for this.  I did get a response from the superintendent and in my response to her response, I will include that link and wording.  She apologized for the rudeness of the response but did say it was school policy to not allow homeschoolers access to the tests.  

I did contact CB first to ask for coordinators but they said they would not be available until January 1.  But, with our local schools, they are so small I was able to find out who the coordinators were by asking around.  I will be casting the net further as I continue to search for a solution.

Good luck by consider a plan B - dual enrollment

Good luck by consider a plan B - dual enrollment

DE is very much part of dd's high school plan.  Given the difficulties of test access, she might not take another AP class at all.  But dd has been with a specific online provider of the subject at hand for going on three years and would like to complete the sequence for the final (AP) year, which I support even if she cannot take the exam and still chooses to continue with that provider.  My efforts to find a place to take the test is to give dd all of the information before she chooses whether to register for the fourth year.  I do not see a DE alternative for this particular subject at this time.

• Like 1

Another update. After I-don't-know-how-many phone calls, I found one! There is a public school district two hours from my house that says they will be happy to work with us even thought they don't offer the class in question. Phew.

I am so glad to hear you found a solution. I dread going through that when our time arrives.

Another update.  After I-don't-know-how-many phone calls, I found one!  There is a public school district two hours from my house that says they will be happy to work with us even thought they don't offer the class in question.  Phew.  

So happy for you!!!  I just read through this thread and I can not believe how rude your local district has been to you.  And just because your dd does not attend school there does not mean you do not support the school with your taxes.  IMO, it should be mandatory for them to provide testing (at least for the classes they offer, especially if space is not an issue).  I agree with others that I would not want to use them, but I would take this issue to the school board.  Even if you do not directly benefit, you can pave the way for others to have access to AP tests.

Our local school has been amazing to work with.  My ds took 10 AP tests at our local high school, including AP Latin and both AP Physics C exams (the school did not offer these 3 classes but were more than happy to proctor the exams).  Dd took the AP Human Geography exam last year (again the school proctored because they did not offer the class).  They never charge me an additional fee for proctoring the exams they do not offer.

Again, I am so happy you have found a place to take the exams!  Especially Latin!  Every school my ds looked at gave SO much credit for a good score on the Latin exam.  At UA the kids are required to have a humanities sequence of at least 9 credits and Latin counted for that requirement!! 

• Like 3

I'm so happy for OP too. Inspired by this thread, I started calling around my local schools and am so glad that I did. Apparently the districts closest to us have a non-outside student AP policy! :glare: Wow. Imagine if I had waited till February to find this out. So my warmest thanks OP!

(edited)

ETA: Local private school said Yes! Relief!

Edited by quark
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So happy for you!!!  I just read through this thread and I can not believe how rude your local district has been to you.  And just because your dd does not attend school there does not mean you do not support the school with your taxes.  IMO, it should be mandatory for them to provide testing (at least for the classes they offer, especially if space is not an issue).  I agree with others that I would not want to use them, but I would take this issue to the school board.  Even if you do not directly benefit, you can pave the way for others to have access to AP tests.

Our local school has been amazing to work with.  My ds took 10 AP tests at our local high school, including AP Latin and both AP Physics C exams (the school did not offer these 3 classes but were more than happy to proctor the exams).  Dd took the AP Human Geography exam last year (again the school proctored because they did not offer the class).  They never charge me an additional fee for proctoring the exams they do not offer.

Again, I am so happy you have found a place to take the exams!  Especially Latin!  Every school my ds looked at gave SO much credit for a good score on the Latin exam.  At UA the kids are required to have a humanities sequence of at least 9 credits and Latin counted for that requirement!! 

When they proctor a test they don't offer, is it on the specified day (like you have to take AP Human Geo test on the Geo day). I ask b/c I know of a school helpful for the PSAT but they offer few AP courses of their own (Eng, Calc & Physics). And I need to find Comp Sci & Human Geo. Can they proctor these exams same day as other tests - or is it a completely separate day and your dc sit to take it alone?

Our district is notoriously unhelpful, so I'll begin wading through other possibilities this week... (Was waiting for PSATs to conclude, as usually the same administrator does both)

When they proctor a test they don't offer, is it on the specified day (like you have to take AP Human Geo test on the Geo day). I ask b/c I know of a school helpful for the PSAT but they offer few AP courses of their own (Eng, Calc & Physics). And I need to find Comp Sci & Human Geo. Can they proctor these exams same day as other tests - or is it a completely separate day and your dc sit to take it alone?

Our district is notoriously unhelpful, so I'll begin wading through other possibilities this week... (Was waiting for PSATs to conclude, as usually the same administrator does both)

I think it has to be given on the national date and time. It causes problems if the test questions are released early or late.

My son has to sit alone for all his tests as he needs accommodations.

• Like 1

Glad you worked it out.

This is why we wound up not doing any APs for ds. He's DEing instead.

Our district doesn't offer ANY APs & other local ones, including the private school, only offer 1-2 & no outside students or no ordering of tests different than what they already give.

Very glad I called around before deciding to do AP!

• Like 1

Yes, mirabillis, the exams were proctored on the same date as the national exams. One time the school forgot to order an exam and ds had to take it a week or so later on the national make-up exam date (it is not the same exam as the one on the national test date, of course 😄).