Menu

Online English courses that haven't started yet?

We recently moved (3 weeks ago today!) and I've dropped the ball with my 9th grader.  I lost an entire box of books that were to be used for her English course this year, and it's overwhelming to think of trying to piecemeal together something for her while we're still living from boxes.  Any suggestions for writing instruction and literature discussion that have a later start date?

Thanks in advance. 

Thanks.  I've looked at Bravewriter, but am having a hard time with spending so much on one course.  I should add that we are already outsourcing Latin and Geometry, so my last minute decision to have my daughter do an online class should be a less expensive option.  Now, to get something challenging that fits the budget...

Doing a little searching and I'm looking at K12 Lit. Analysis & Comp. and BYU as options.  K12 is expensive, but we've used one of their courses years ago with decent success.  I'm curious what feedback that the teacher-led BYU 9th grade English course entails.  Anyone have experience with it?

I thought of another option - Home2Teach.  They have I think 6 or 8 week sessions throughout the year, and each session is $85 (so, much cheaper than Bravewriter)  

They do have a very strict policy of having your kid send in a writing sample (one they do to certain parameters just for the purposes of placing into their program), and then they tell you what class (or classes) your kid can start with.  Then after a class is taken, they tell you which class or classes your kid can take next (sometimes they recommend a second go at the same class, and modify the assignments the second time through).

I find it a bit annoying that I can't just decide which class I want my kid to take in what order, but I do have to say that I had my youngest dd take a couple of classes from them a few years back - I think in 5th grade? (they did have her take the class twice), and I did think it was well organized and well done.  

• Like 2

Shmoop also has English courses.

I signed up for Schmoop with a teacher account, but am wondering if I could make it work for my daughter without paying again for a separate student account.  Admittedly, I haven't gone back and looked too deeply into it just yet, but I'm planning to look at the website more in depth this weekend.

Wow, super affordable at $50 per class!  Thanks.   :)

If you use this option please give feedback to the forum.  SVHS is very new. Their courses do not appear to be honors level.

BYU has been providing distance learning for decades. But I have only seen their math courses.

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 3

If you use this option please give feedback to the forum.  SVHS is very new. Their courses do not appear to be honors level.

BYU has been providing distance learning for decades. But I have only seen their math courses.

My daughter took 8th grade English using BYU independent study.  It was okay, but I wasn't impressed and wouldn't use them again.  

Edited by Erica H
  • Like 1

From my experience, SVHS is just an aggregate of other video-based content around the Web, links to outside places. There is little, sometimes no, in-house created curriculum. I experienced this firsthand with Span, and I have seen another poster here taking World History, happy for a self-paced, independent video-based program, but be aware it is just a compilation of content from outside sources, with multiple choice quizzes, tests, etc.

• Like 1

My daughter took 8th grade English using BYU independent study.  It was okay, but I wasn't impressed and wouldn't use them again.  

What were the issues with it?

I ended up choosing BYU as a 'get 'er done' option, mainly because I'm feeling antsy about DD getting something done.  I accelerated the end date so that she finishes in a much shorter period of time, plus I plan to heavily supplement the literature.  It's better than nothing, I suppose, but we'll see.

• Like 2

Are there any honors level asynchronous English options available?  I want to bookmark them for later.

From my experience, SVHS is just an aggregate of other video-based content around the Web, links to outside places. There is little, sometimes no, in-house created curriculum. I experienced this firsthand with Span, and I have seen another poster here taking World History, happy for a self-paced, independent video-based program, but be aware it is just a compilation of content from outside sources, with multiple choice quizzes, tests, etc.

http://www.svhs.co/TeachingMethods.aspx

How does this work for English?

[They only offer English for 9th grade.]

What were the issues with it?

I ended up choosing BYU as a 'get 'er done' option, mainly because I'm feeling antsy about DD getting something done.  I accelerated the end date so that she finishes in a much shorter period of time, plus I plan to heavily supplement the literature.  It's better than nothing, I suppose, but we'll see.

My biggest issue was that there wasn't any feedback.  My dd would write an essay and it would be graded with 100% on it with a "Great job" or whatever, but nothing on how to improve.  Other than that, I felt that the course wasn't challenging enough and took a long time to get any questions about the course answered.  It was definitely fine for a 'get 'er done' option, though.  My dd did like it (probably because it was easy for her!).  

Edited by Erica H

Landry Academy has semester long classes in writing and literature.  The classes are more affordable if you buy generic semesters either from Landry well in advance or from anyone who is willing to sell their generic semesters.  The generic semesters are transferable.  Landry, also, offers specials fairly often.

Another option ~  pick up a copy of The Lively Art of Writing by  Lucile Vaughan Payne (less than $7.00) and have your daughter work through that until you find your missing box of resources. 

It's not an online option, but I recall that Hewitt Homeschooling had a grading option for their Lightning Literature courses; you might see if they still offer it.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1