Menu

Nothing says HAPPY HALLOWEEN better than...

mamiof5

Alive, disgusting creatures creeping in our cereal!

Eeeeewww, eeeeewww, yuk, disgusting, gross, eeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Ugh, sorry. Feel better now. Kids have been watching for my reaction, and because one of our dds was seriously developing a fear of bugs when she was younger I just had to keep my cool when she calmly suggested she thought there were worms in her cereal. It was a whole grain mix, so it really looked like grain shells or something... I even ate one trying to figure out what was going on. I think I might puke (I hate bugs, just pretend I don't for my dd). We saw them alive in the cereal bag, also some in my 2yr old cereal bowl. Seriously, I might just puke. Eeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!

Now...this weekend I found some in a very old pancake mix, so I thought it was normal. But now the cereal box?? It was opened yesterday! Please tell me our pantry is not infested with alive squirmy worms! The thought just makes my shiver...I can't handle it.

Ughhh!! Just venting. I'm literally grossed out :(

Those are really gross,  Since we had a problem once with brand new, just opened flour once, I have since then taken to putting all our flour into the fridge or freezer (for extras),  Seems like the moth eggs sometimes are in grain products and it is not considered a contaminant because there really is no way around it in processing.  Cold doesn't let the egg develop.

• Like 2

Pantry moths.

They're mostly harmless, but they spread. You'll want to put all your dried goods in the freezer - throw out any in open containers - and wash down your shelves. In the future, put anything you purchase in the freezer for a few days before you put it away, and then decant it all into jars or other closed containers.

• Like 5

Pantry moths.

They're mostly harmless, but they spread. You'll want to put all your dried goods in the freezer - throw out any in open containers - and wash down your shelves. In the future, put anything you purchase in the freezer for a few days before you put it away, and then decant it all into jars or other closed containers.

Exactly this. They may be harmless but what a nuisance! I have my freezer full just because during the summer months I can hardly store anything in the cupboard.

• Like 2

Thank you all for making me feel better. I had not reacted to bugs like this ever! I have never been too fond of them, but for my kids' sake I handle the topic somewhat ok.

Seeing them in our cereal, the one my kids were eating, was more than what I could handle. Fought anxiety all morning :( I did try to be positive and think about the extra protein, but the yuckiness of it took over.

• Like 1

*runs through the house screaming "ew! Ew! EW!!!"*

There I did it for you! ;)

Good job keeping your cool!!

I concur. It would've looked like this in our house:  :scared:  :willy_nilly:  :zombiechase:  :crying:

You handled that like a champ. 

*runs through the house screaming "ew! Ew! EW!!!"*

There I did it for you! ;)

Good job keeping your cool!!

I concur. It would've looked like this in our house:  :scared:  :willy_nilly:  :zombiechase:  :crying:

You handled that like a champ.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! You both made me laugh and I needef this badly. I literally got teary eyed a couple times, fought anxiety all morning (feeling bugs creeping on me and inside me), couldn't get anywhere near the pantry for a few hours...just major, silly anxiety :( But I really had to hide it. 12yr old dd was hyperventilating once years ago when she saw a tiny moth, and since I have changed my reaction to bugs. It's hard to believe she's the one who had them in her bowl of cereal and she handled it so well :)

Thanks for the chuckle!! Very much needed. Imagining both of you running around the house for me just made my day 🙌

• Like 2

I'm grossing out for you just reading about that. Also spent 5 minutes re-checking trying to find a sick face emoji... turns out I'm going to have to embed

bd72b28b49d4ec65c382239ff8a3330b.png

Love emojis! My feeling exactly, all morning wanting to puke 😷 I'm still a little queazy, and haven't been much around the pantry. Waiting for dh so we can check more stuff (flour, cereal etc) 😫😫😫 Edited by mamiof5

Our latest round of moths came from the grocery store in a bag of rice. I actually avoided an infestation because I caught it right away. As in, brought rice home, opened to make food, found moths, popped the whole thing in a zip bag and drove straight back to the store. I just wanted an exchange, not realizing that nearly all the rice bags had moths in them! I notified the management and eventually all the rice was cleared out.

We did have a Very Bad Case years ago where I thought I'd gotten rid of them but they came back. After tearing apart *everything* in the pantry I'd discovered they'd laid eggs in the bottom rims of canned goods and unopened boxes of zip bags. :svengo:   I ended up bombing my pantry and that finally took care of the nasty beasts.

• Like 1

You know, if you have a persistent infestation of any sort of insect, you should definitely invest in some IGR. That doesn't kill them, but it DOES keep them from reproducing... and it's safer in your kitchen than bombs. (Plus, with many bugs, bombs just encourage them to burrow deeper into cracks and crevices. IGRs don't do that.)

• Like 1

I agree with some sort of pantry moth. We found little cocoons in corners in the kitchen (including ceiling) once we realised what was going on. When I recently had a problem with flour I read that it can be worse with organic products. After that I started popping the flour into the freezer overnight before opening it.

• Like 1