Menu

Encourage, Encourage, Encourage - Keep Plugging at those Applications

Sebastian (a lady)

Woohoo for both of you!!!

I am finally done with my part!  I submitted everything, and DD has submitted two applications so far. :)

I have pretty much finalized my documents.  Took forever to get the course descriptions right, because I kept finding big errors after I'd printed a bunch of copies.  I had to correct and reprint pages and insert them into the stack in the right place.

I've sent out a couple packets already.  Uploaded my portion for a couple schools.  I have just the homeschool notes to write for Common App.

• Like 1

While many are nearly done with their documentation and applications, there are probably some of you lurking in the wings, panicking about where you are in the process.

Don't panic.  For many schools, regular decision deadlines range from Dec. 15th to Feb. 15th.

Just please be sure you are working on the apps a bit every day. Trust me, it's way easier than waiting until the last moment.  If you don't know where to start or the next step to take, ask here.

If there is a "stupid" question to be asked, it's likely I asked it last year, so don't be shy. :D

• Like 4

While many are nearly done with their documentation and applications, there are probably some of you lurking in the wings, panicking about where you are in the process.

Don't panic.  For many schools, regular decision deadlines range from Dec. 15th to Feb. 15th.

Just please be sure you are working on the apps a bit every day. Trust me, it's way easier than waiting until the last moment.  If you don't know where to start or the next step to take, ask here.

If there is a "stupid" question to be asked, it's likely I asked it last year, so don't be shy. :D

I will confess to panicking about where I am in the process. OK maybe panic is an overstatement. DS is planning to apply ED to one school with a deadline of Nov 15, so the pressure is on. I really need to work on course descriptions, and I keep thinking about things to add/change to the counselor letter. Now I'm worried that the counselor letter is too long so I'm trying to remove things from it.

• Like 3

I am the queen of overthinking :rolleyes:

I finally uploaded the transcript, course descriptions, and the school profile this afternoon. The counselor recommendation is done; I'm just not ready.

Tomorrow one of dd's scholarship applications must be submitted. We're waiting on a recommendation. Still.

• Like 5

I am the queen of overthinking :rolleyes:

I finally uploaded the transcript, course descriptions, and the school profile this afternoon. The counselor recommendation is done; I'm just not ready.

Tomorrow one of dd's scholarship applications must be submitted. We're waiting on a recommendation. Still.

:D I can so relate to the bold. If there is a way to do something, anything, better I will figure it out, given enough time.

I prefer "overthinking."  It sounds so much better than "analysis paralysis" or "the flat squirrel on the highway of life."

I'll be thinking of you and your dd over the next couple of months. I am so excited to see where she decides to go.

• Like 2

We just received some feedback that a few of DS's essays for an EA application are strong! Just hearing the words strong essays made my very worried mama heart feel so much better. He has a couple more to work on. Had to push our Oct 15 self imposed deadline to Oct 21.

Edited by quark
  • Like 8

We are working toward a Nov 1st goal. 

DD started her apps, but if you saw my thread a few weeks ago regarding "evil pre-calc instructor" we have been in the middle of drama trying to decide if she will withdraw from this class.  This would change transcripts as well as a few other things.  She finally decided last night, yes, she is withdrawing.  Now I'm wondering if and how I should address that this class was dropped, or just ignore it and let it show up on the college transcript and see if they ask about it????

And..just found out I will be having to travel out of town next week due to aging parent needs.  I will be staying at my parents house WHICH DOES NOT HAVE INTERNET.  I will be there all week. :(

Just wanted to update that we've decided that he won't apply to any Common App schools. On the one hand, I am very relieved that it is less one deadline that was at a very, very busy time in his life (college final exams, international travel, family drama etc). On the other, nervous about shortening an already short list. It feels like the right decision though.

Onward.

• Like 3

Wow, I'm seriously envying those short college lists. DS currently has 13 on his list. The trouble is that a number of those are highly selective, so he also has several that are not as highly selective, and then a couple of "safety" schools. He's currently planning to apply early decision though, so it's possible he'll only end up applying to one.

I'm planning to set aside a couple of hours this weekend to get the counselor stuff finalized and uploaded. I think it will make me feel better when my part is done. Then I just need to keep harassing ds...

• Like 2

DD started her apps, but if you saw my thread a few weeks ago regarding "evil pre-calc instructor" we have been in the middle of drama trying to decide if she will withdraw from this class.  This would change transcripts as well as a few other things.  She finally decided last night, yes, she is withdrawing.  Now I'm wondering if and how I should address that this class was dropped, or just ignore it and let it show up on the college transcript and see if they ask about it????

And..just found out I will be having to travel out of town next week due to aging parent needs.  I will be staying at my parents house WHICH DOES NOT HAVE INTERNET.  I will be there all week. :(

Good luck, Goldberry. It sounds very stressful.

:grouphug: I saw some reassuring answers to the post you started about the evil instructor and about withdrawing.

I really hope it all somehow falls into place. :grouphug:

Sailor Dude dropped Lukion's Advanced Writing class about a month before it ended in the spring. I addressed this on the additional report, but he had already submitted all applications. It's still in the course description, but not on the final transcript. 

Sailor Dude dropped Lukion's Advanced Writing class about a month before it ended in the spring. I addressed this on the additional report, but he had already submitted all applications. It's still in the course description, but not on the final transcript.

I had to do something similar. There was a schedule conflict between calc 2 and chem 2 at the cc. Ds took stats instead of calc 2. I changed the transcript and with the midyear report I uploaded the new transcript with a description of the new course. There was room for a brief explanation on the counselor comments section.

• Like 2

So, I found out tonight that my daughter wants to apply to some schools using the common app. This is news to me. The last I knew she wanted to apply to only one school and it had its own app. That one is done. It didn't need anything other than a transcript.

I have a transcript. I know I will need course descriptions, but what are they really. She took most classes with online with outside providers. I didn't teach them at all. I can look up the details on the classes, but what do I need to put there? And a counselor letter? And a school profile? She is a class of one and she is an intense kid. We homeschooled in large part because of her anxiety and intensity and giving her space to learn to be a person. I am not entirely sure I can say a bunch of happy glowing things about how she would be a great asset to the school. She might not be. She is hard to figure out.

Silent screaming going on here.

I have a transcript. I know I will need course descriptions, but what are they really. She took most classes with online with outside providers. I didn't teach them at all. I can look up the details on the classes, but what do I need to put there? And a counselor letter? And a school profile?

I hope this helps somewhat:

Course Descriptions: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/626236-what-goes-in-a-course-description/

School Profile: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/434548-school-profile-for-common-app/

and some posts on counselor letters.

• Like 1

Jennein, I think some of the positive effects of intensity are focus and passion. I wouldn't mention the anxiety part, say something about being focused, put in a bit about what she is passionate about, and then fill in with any accomplishments and interests, academic and otherwise. You can say something very general about homeschooling allowing your daughter to pursue her passions to answer the question about why you homeschool. In the school profile, describe the outside sources you used, how your day was structured, and how you graded and assigned credit. In the course descriptions, you can quote the advertising for the outside courses and add in something saying where the quote came from.

Nan

• Like 2

First application is submitted, to DS' first choice. I mailed (yes, snail mailed) the school package on Friday, and he hit the submit button last night. 

Now on to the others. Backup (state system flagship) won't be a big deal, but one of his reaches wants the CA... arrgh

Tell me getting one in by the end of October is good. We're not "slow". We're not "behind".

Can it be over already?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I am considering removing the weighting after speaking to my very experienced and much respected counselor.

I felt like the weighting went against my goals. Made me think yucky things about our homeschooling. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Local "war" on weighted GPA, from Palo Alto Daily Post

"The University of Oregon, however, is an exception to this rule. The university will only use the GPA on an applicantĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s official transcript, and offers several merit scholarships with specific GPA cutoffs.

Taly Katz, the mother of a Paly senior applying to the University of Oregon, told the board at its Sept. 27 meeting that her daughterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s unweighted GPA is at the schoolĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s threshold for a four-year, $36,000 scholarship for out-of-state students. She urged the board to discuss the issue now, rather than later in the year, in the hopes that any change could help current seniors." http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2016/10/18/should-palo-altos-high-schools-report-weighted-grades

We are glad we did some unofficial college tours last week. The Canada ones were friendly to "pointy" kids but acceptance rates to certain schools are rather selective too.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Tell me getting one in by the end of October is good. We're not "slow". We're not "behind".

Can it be over already?

We don't have even one turned in yet.  DS keeps changing his mind about top choice so we are a bit stalled  :banghead:

Not going to freak out, not going to freak out, not going to freak out....

• Like 3

Local "war" on weighted GPA, from Palo Alto Daily Post...

Thank you for the info! I had assumed most high schools had always weighted GPAs.

I will try not to freak out (DS and I have already submitted the info so it's too late now anyway). What gives me relief is talking to parents whose kids were successfully accepted to this university without giving a weighted GPA. And if he is rejected so be it. We will just move on.

I think we are now at that stage where we just want to get this behind us and focus on the rest of life lol. It's funny how when we are most stressed that life has a way of throwing lots more at us. So done now (one more to go though) and I now need to get all the various medical appointments/ vet appointments/ normal life curve-ball stuff addressed.

Edited by quark
  • Like 1

If it helps, a few families I know with very motivated students are just starting out identifying good college matches for regular decision applications. They have a 2-month deadline from about now. And I think they don't mind doing it slowly (or at least more slowly than we are) because their kids write quickly and well even while juggling tight schedules. I have no doubt that they will get everything in on time. Mine needed 2 weeks to hammer out one essay (and that too just 100-250 words) for this one early action school. He finds it very hard to write about himself. He doesn't find something like abstract algebra hard. He finds writing a polished 250 word piece (about his accomplishments -- but not about other things, thankfully) excruciatingly difficult. Things have always been upside down for him that way.

Edited by quark

If it helps, a few families I know with very motivated students are just starting out identifying good college matches for regular decision applications. They have a 2-month deadline from about now. And I think they don't mind doing it slowly (or at least more slowly than we are) because their kids write quickly and well even while juggling tight schedules. I have no doubt that they will get everything in on time. Mine needed 2 weeks to hammer out one essay (and that too just 100-250 words) for this one early action school. He finds it very hard to write about himself. He doesn't find something like abstract algebra hard. He finds writing a polished 250 word piece (about his accomplishments -- but not about other things, thankfully) excruciatingly difficult. Things have always been upside down for him that way.

No upside down - perfectly sensible. What geeky student WANTS to write about him or her self? As my youngest said, it is ironic that an application to a tech school is going to be read and judged by the admissions officers, who are inevitably going to be liberal artsy people. The typical essay boast-about-yourself essay is a pretty stupid excersize, in my opinion. There are better ways to find out about a student and a student's writing ability. Your son's inability to spill his guts to strangers is not a bad thing at all, in my opinion. : ) My son had to look behind the question for its purpose and then rephrase and narrow it like a problem to be solved before he could get anywhere.

Nan

• Like 2

No upside down - perfectly sensible. What geeky student WANTS to write about him or her self? As my youngest said, it is ironic that an application to a tech school is going to be read and judged by the admissions officers, who are inevitably going to be liberal artsy people. The typical essay boast-about-yourself essay is a pretty stupid excersize, in my opinion. There are better ways to find out about a student and a student's writing ability. Your son's inability to spill his guts to strangers is not a bad thing at all, in my opinion. : ) My son had to look behind the question for its purpose and then rephrase and narrow it like a problem to be solved before he could get anywhere.

Nan

Agreeing with Nan, except I'd delete the "geeky" part. :D

I believe Sailor Dude answered a prompt that is similar or the same as this year's prompt #1:

"Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story."

He wrote about his ever-expanding fascination with politics and included family dinners with Jon Stewart and arguing about trade agreements with some delightful German college students outside a club in Madrid.  This was his third attempt with the personal essay and it was the one that finally gave a view into the unique character my son possesses. It also made perfect sense for someone hoping to study foreign policy and/or security sector reform.

I was fairly thrilled that at least two crazy-busy admissions officers addressed what he wrote in their acceptance letters.  

• Like 4

Nan

:grouphug: :001_wub: :001_wub: Thank you Nan!

• Like 1

Dd got another app done today! It was annoying--only had room for FOUR science courses and FOUR music! Really????

Was it one of those self-reporting academic records with the little annyoying drop down menus? I absolutely detest those applications. For one school, Dd contacted admissions about how to fill it out bc her transcript didn't work with their format at all.

I think schools using SRARs are using them as pre-screening. I think they are using course input, grades, and test scores to create an applicant indexing system before apps are read. I think they need to be approached carefully.

My dd is struggling to write anything of relevance with a historical reference. It is her opinion that she should not do any research for college application essays; they really only want to know about her and thus she only wants to write about that which she already knows. This stance is making it hard to write about a conversation with a historical person or respond to a historical quote. This weekend she finally pumped out the historical quote essay which may or may not be on topic (we both acknowledged that fact) but it was the best she was going to do within her parameters.

By the way, she would gladly trade essays with anyone who is having troubles writing about him or herself and their experiences. She is currently bubbling with fun, quirky stories to tell. The problem is how to adapt an historical prompt to tell those stories.

• Like 1

[ #1:

"Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story."

He wrote about his ever-expanding fascination with politics and included family dinners with Jon Stewart and arguing about trade agreements with some delightful German college students outside a club in Madrid. This was his third attempt with the personal essay and it was the one that finally gave a view into the unique character my son possesses. It also made perfect sense for someone hoping to study foreign policy and/or security sector reform.

I was fairly thrilled that at least two crazy-busy admissions officers addressed what he wrote in their acceptance letters.

My daughter just finished her first application early action and after polishing her 650 word essay, "found out" about the two extra 250 word prompts. She almost wrote about about her love for John Oliver and Jon Stewart and our dinner time political discussions! Instead, since she had already written about politics and media in her other prompt, we convinced her to write about her Marine Corps dad being her role model. But she said she felt like a sell out. :-)

Incidentally - I've seen that your son is going to American and that is one of her top choices. (We live near DC). You'll have to keep us updated on how he's enjoying school there!

• Like 1

This week's frustration is trying to wrangle the last recommendations.  Even with Common App covering a dozen schools, there are still a few non Common App schools, three service academy nominations, the service academy app itself and a ROTC scholarship that all need recommendations.  I counted last year and DS1 had to get recommendations submitted through 10 different systems (including scanning and uploading himself - which was not ideal).

For DS2, one of his CC instructors said he'd do recommendations, but has now begged off based on how many there are.  Now ds is trying to get one of his other math teachers to do the last one (which of course is for a full ride program and has to have a math teacher).

And don't get me started on how many documents one of the scholarship programs has lost or not connected with ds's application.  Grr.

• Like 1

This week's frustration is trying to wrangle the last recommendations.  Even with Common App covering a dozen schools, there are still a few non Common App schools, three service academy nominations, the service academy app itself and a ROTC scholarship that all need recommendations.  I counted last year and DS1 had to get recommendations submitted through 10 different systems (including scanning and uploading himself - which was not ideal).

For DS2, one of his CC instructors said he'd do recommendations, but has now begged off based on how many there are.  Now ds is trying to get one of his other math teachers to do the last one (which of course is for a full ride program and has to have a math teacher).

And don't get me started on how many documents one of the scholarship programs has lost or not connected with ds's application.  Grr.

:grouphug: I'm sorry it's been so frustrating. Hang in there. You know it will be worth it in the end.

Sending good thoughts to all who are embroiled in the college application process ....

I have a transcript. I know I will need course descriptions, but what are they really. She took most classes with online with outside providers. I didn't teach them at all. I can look up the details on the classes, but what do I need to put there? And a counselor letter? And a school profile?

I'd be happy to share the school profile and course description documents that I prepared for my daughter.  If interested, simply send me a personal message with your email address.

Regards,

Kareni

Oh for goodness sakes. First the math recommender says he wont do more recommendations becausr they take up too much time. Then the last one he sends in had no comments at all, only boxes checked.

Now the ROTC application will not go in. Ds has tried to submit in multiple computers and browsera and talked to multiple website tech people. No one can even figure out what is going wrong, let alone fix it.

Meanwhile deadlines loom.

Sebastian, I am so sorry and also very angry on your behalf. I called one college yesterday to check if they received DS's transcripts and they said that as long as the application was in, they were lenient with recommendations arriving later. Could that be the case with some of the colleges? Sorry about the ROTC tech issues too.

• Like 1

Oh for goodness sakes. First the math recommender says he wont do more recommendations becausr they take up too much time. Then the last one he sends in had no comments at all, only boxes checked.

Now the ROTC application will not go in. Ds has tried to submit in multiple computers and browsera and talked to multiple website tech people. No one can even figure out what is going wrong, let alone fix it.

Meanwhile deadlines loom.

Hallelujah he got the ROTC app go submit.  There was one field that he'd formatted incorrectly, and in a way that not only was incorrect, but evidently kept making the whole form shut down.

Still playing the waiting game with a couple recommenders.

He did get writing supplements done for two colleges last night.

• Like 5

common app is super slow and i hope one of you can help me.  under the gpa tab, it asks for beginning and ending dates.  

our debate is whether it should be may of 2016 (from grades reported) or may of 2017 (when she graduates).

hopefully,

ann

common app is super slow and i hope one of you can help me.  under the gpa tab, it asks for beginning and ending dates.  

our debate is whether it should be may of 2016 (from grades reported) or may of 2017 (when she graduates).

hopefully,

ann

I remember being confused by the question. I'm pretty sure I put June 2016 (grades reported) not June 2017.

Ugh. Found a problem while double checking my documents.

I just realized that I'm saying in my school profile that college courses 4 credits and up are 1 high school credit, and below that are 1/2 credit.  But she has English Comp this year which is 3 credits, and I HAVE to call that 1 high school credit.  Is it okay to just say college courses are 1 credit?  But she also has an Interpersonal Communication class for 3 credits that I was only counting for 1/2, because it's not a core class.  Have I screwed up here?

Ugh. Found a problem while double checking my documents.

I just realized that I'm saying in my school profile that college courses 4 credits and up are 1 high school credit, and below that are 1/2 credit. But she has English Comp this year which is 3 credits, and I HAVE to call that 1 high school credit. Is it okay to just say college courses are 1 credit? But she also has an Interpersonal Communication class for 3 credits that I was only counting for 1/2, because it's not a core class. Have I screwed up here?

If it is not too late to changed, I would just make it 1 to 1. Schools are going to do what they want with the info anyway. If it is too late and you have already submitted it, I wouldn't stress over it. The entire DE to high school conversion is probably not standard anywhere and these issues come up.

• Like 2

Recommendations are still missing. One school says teacher 2 has submitted, but teacher 2's recs are missing from the other schools and the CA schools. Mind you, teacher 1 submitted to all schools and CA with the exception of that first school (she's emailed teacher 1 to check).

D emailed teacher 2 a reminder *again*. She needs two recs for a non-CA school as a homeschooler. She's giving him until 3pm to reply. If he does not or us unable to do the rec, she'll have to call the school to see if she can switch to a different person (who is her "other" recommender). She is hyperventilating at the thought and has lost all focus to work on the single essay remaining for the Nov 1 schools/scholarships/programs.

• Like 1

Recommendations are still missing. One school says teacher 2 has submitted, but teacher 2's recs are missing from the other schools and the CA schools. Mind you, teacher 1 submitted to all schools and CA with the exception of that first school (she's emailed teacher 1 to check).

D emailed teacher 2 a reminder *again*. She needs two recs for a non-CA school as a homeschooler. She's giving him until 3pm to reply. If he does not or us unable to do the rec, she'll have to call the school to see if she can switch to a different person (who is her "other" recommender). She is hyperventilating at the thought and has lost all focus to work on the single essay remaining for the Nov 1 schools/scholarships/programs.

DS has been doing the recommender shuffle too. I hope it works out.

• Like 1