Menu

Encourage, Encourage, Encourage - Keep Plugging at those Applications

Sebastian (a lady)

DS has been doing the recommender shuffle too. I hope it works out.

My DS is still waiting on a recommender too. He's got more than the required number already though, so we're really not too worked up about it.

I'm much more stressed about 1st quarter grades (not looking great) and getting ds to finish his essays.

Much relief--recommender 2 replied to D, confirmed the upload to one school, asked for her to resend the invites for CA and the other school, and uploaded the letters within the hour. Recommender 1 emailed D that she uploaded hers to the last school.

Whew!

D is almost done with her final Nov 1 essay :party:

• Like 5

Much relief--recommender 2 replied to D, confirmed the upload to one school, asked for her to resend the invites for CA and the other school, and uploaded the letters within the hour. Recommender 1 emailed D that she uploaded hers to the last school.

Whew!

D is almost done with her final Nov 1 essay :party:

That's great!

I'm so glad that ds decided to apply early to the Nov 15th school and not the Nov 1st school.

• Like 3

All of DS's stuff including recommendations are finally in for Nov 1 deadline. The last letter was uploaded last night at 10.30pm ish. We realized only yesterday that they asked for proof of citizenship and I had not sent it in. Mailed out and hopefully postmarked today. Phew! Now I only have the ($%^#@@&*) CSS profile to finish for this school.

As involved as the UC application is for homeschoolers, I really am starting to appreciate how much easier it is with only one application, test scores and FAFSA. No transcripts, counselor docs or LoRs required. DS just needs to tweak 3 existing essays and write a 4th by Nov 30. Woohoo!

• Like 7

DS celebrated getting all of his Nov 1 applications done yesterday!  He was actually polishing the last one when his friends arrived for Halloween festivities.  And there was a quick switch of recommenders and a really quick submission by the new person, so that one of the important ones was able to go in under the early action deadline.  

Now a service academy app, medical exams, nomination interviews (if he gets that far) and the second wave of applications.  Not to mention all of the various scholarship applications.

Sigh.  I keep telling myself that he is a great kid with a great mind and temperament, who will do well wherever he goes.  But I'll sure be happy when a yes comes in the door.

• Like 7

Progress has been made: the boy opened his account on Common App, did a major portion of his work, invited me as counselor, and I am almost done with the school portion. My transcript has a weird formatting issue that I need to resolve, and the course description pdf is too large even though it's only 8 pages and should not be an issue - will fiddle with that tonight when I get home from work at eight. Oh, and we ordered the remaining score reports.

I am not behind, I am not behind... 

• Like 6

If a font change doesn't help, remember that 8 highly recommends smallpdf.com for just this sort of thing. Easy, quick, and free.

and the course description pdf is too large even though it's only 8 pages and should not be an issue - will fiddle with that tonight when I get home from work at eight. 

• Like 1

If a font change doesn't help, remember that 8 highly recommends smallpdf.com for just this sort of thing. Easy, quick, and free.

Thank you. I know about this, but it's only 8 pages, so has to work without.

I am already using one of the standard fonts that do not need to be specifically embedded. But I simply had DH save to pdf in word on his computer instead of on mine, and the file is now small enough.

• Like 1

I hope things are going well for everyone. DS has finished 3 of the 4 UC personal insight questions! :thumbup1: Just one left and I hope it will be his easiest one to write. Our celebratory ice cream scoops are so close I can almost taste them. :wub:

After he submits this application, we are done. Just a lot of nail biting waiting and waiting and waiting to look forward to I guess. :001_unsure:

(Ssshhh! I just found out that Prof. John McWhorter has produced more than one course with Great Courses...bank account will be lighter but I really think we deserve to take our mind off all that anxiety! :biggrinjester: ).

Edited by quark
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We got DS's early decision application done last night, almost 2 hours before the deadline. I thought I'd be relieved and relaxed once it was done. Unfortunately I'm second guessing all our decisions in my head and I'm having trouble relaxing. DS really should start to work on some essays for the other schools on his list, in case he doesn't get in to his early decision school.

Best wishes to those still working on applications.

• Like 2