Menu

Gas shortage - ? about dual enrolled DD

AimeeM

Assuming he wasn't running a business or something but was just hoarding -- there should be some way to stop people like that.

There are some gas stations in my area limiting people to ten gallons per vehicle. I haven't heard any mentions of gas cans. I can see wanting one spare if I were in a rural area, but a truck full is hoarding - you nailed it there! 

• Like 1

There are some gas stations in my area limiting people to ten gallons per vehicle. I haven't heard any mentions of gas cans. I can see wanting one spare if I were in a rural area, but a truck full is hoarding - you nailed it there! 

In fairness it may have been a business owner with a fleet of vehicles used to service customers.  Makes it tough though as when others see that, even if he has a good reason, it often leads to more panic buying.

My sister had a flower shop for years and often went out and bought large amounts of gas before large storms just in case there were power outages that would cause disruptions at gas stations.

A bike? Her school is 30-45 minutes away, depending on traffic - driving - and off a major highway.

You said 30 min stop-and-go traffic upthread. Which would usually be about 30 min on a bicycle for a grown up (15yo is grown up). Maybe an hour if it's less stop and go than you said. Not that big a deal.

You said 30 min stop-and-go traffic upthread. Which would usually be about 30 min on a bicycle for a grown up (15yo is grown up). Maybe an hour if it's less stop and go than you said. Not that big a deal.

It's 8 miles each way. On a major, super-busy highway. I wouldn't be able to bike that, personally, and I'm in good shape - and the major highway, through construction and other obstacles, just isn't something I'm comfortable at all with. Thanks for the suggestion, though! I would imagine if we lived in a more "city" environment, biking such distances would be typical for teens, but it isn't here ;)

Edited by AimeeM

It's 8 miles each way. On a major, super-busy highway. I wouldn't be able to bike that, personally, and I'm in good shape - and the major highway, through construction and other obstacles, just isn't something I'm comfortable at all with. Thanks for the suggestion, though! I would imagine if we lived in a more "city" environment, biking such distances would be typical for teens, but it isn't here ;)

You are going to run out of gas in three days doing 32 miles a day? How small is your tank?

• Like 1

You are going to run out of gas in three days doing 32 miles a day? How small is your tank?

I'm not sure, honestly, but I don't think that it's very small - I think it's more likely that it isn't very gas-efficient and most of the time is spent idling in traffic, not actually moving (but for a minute, then stopping again). The school isn't very far, but it isn't uncommon for us to leave the house at 7 and not get her there until almost 8 (a couple times after 8). 

Right now I have almost a full tank and my monitor says I have about 190 miles left before I run out of gas. Doing the math, that means I have about 5 days worth of gas... but I know that, generally, I burn through over a half tank just picking her up in the afternoons. So, I could likely get her to and from school on that tank, but that is assuming I need to go absolutely nowhere else between trips, traffic is good (never, ever in the mornings) - and it would mean placing my money on gas being up and running again completely by Friday/Saturday, otherwise risking being stranded. 

Like I said, though, I'm not planning on her missing the week as long as we have premium still available. I didn't realize it WAS still available. I was having a bit of a freak-out when our gas station reassured us the other day that this was being blown out of proportion and that they had "plenty" of regular gas - only to show up the next day and there was no unleaded left. Now I'm hearing that some places are running out of premium. Our stations are reassuring us that "they" won't, but... well, they said the same thing about unleaded just a couple days ago :p

Again, I was freaking out a bit. Not a small amount of over-freaking because I'm admittedly worried, too, about how DH will make it back home from the airport (in a different state, that is also having a more major shortage than ours) if supplies aren't up and running soon. 

Edited by AimeeM

I'd fill a gas can up too, so I'd have some back up gas.

This is what they are telling people NOT to do and are saying is creating more shortage. If the stations that are getting gas only have people to fill up what they need for everyday life, then they say there is enough for normal transportation. But almost everybody is filling up all their vehicles and extra gas cans every time they run by a station that has gas, which is creating much higher than normal everyday gas usage. Stations are running dry much quicker because of it.

OP: Please do not worry about this. If you are worried about running out of groceries, go get a couple week's worth on the way home tomorrow while you have a full tank. If your town runs out of gas, enough people will be in your same situation to make it so students and non-essential workers have to stay home. I would go about life as normal, and if you get down to about 1/4 tank and there is no gas at any area station, then stay home in case you need to use that 1/4 tank for a medical emergency.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 4

Just read about the gas shortage in our area at a local news website. Gas sales are up 50% more than usual gas sales since Friday. That's with less than 25% of stations having gas to sale. This is from overbuying, filling gas tanks that aren't needed, and topping off every day that I mentioned above.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 3

Aimee, how is it going there? Most large stations have gas. When I calked Kroger to see if they did, the person answered, "Yes, we have gas. How can I help you?"

I bet if you call ahead, you will not have trouble finding a station with gas, midweek when you need it.

Edited by ScoutTN

Wait and see.  If stations run out entirely, you won't be the only family affected, and chances are high that schools will be cancelled.

Absolutely do not go under half a tank in these circumstances.  Stop driving if that's the case.  If it's possible to adjust your schedule to be at the library for those hours, do it.

You can also turn the engine off if idling for more than a minute in the same location.

Aimee, how is it going there? Most large stations have gas. When I calked Kroger to see if they did, the person answered, "Yes, we have gas. How can I help you?"

I bet if you call ahead, you will not have trouble finding a station with gas, midweek when you need it.

I'm not sure. I see people easily able to get premium, so far. I haven't stopped at many stations outside my "normals" to check. I'll call around tomorrow. 

I'm thinking you haven't had the "pleasure" of waiting in a line for gas. This is the second time I've done this - the first one was post hurricane twenty years ago.

I went yesterday at 2:30pm when I got off work. No wait. And as I said they only had regular and not all the pumps were working.

It may depend on the time of day. I would imagine rush hour times would be pretty busy.

I am just glad all 3 cars are full since we do need to get back and forth to work, but if it becomes a huge issue, I would assume places like schools will close until they can get the necessary gas. Most of our local schools depend on busses.

• Like 1

The good news -- In the most recent update Colonial says they anticipate having the main line back in service tomorrow.

The bad news -- They say it will still take several days to get things back to normal.

Construction, fabrication and positioning of the bypass segment around the leak site is complete. Colonial is in the process of executing a hydrostatic test of the segment, which is approximately 500 feet in length, to ensure its structural integrity.

Upon successful completion of the hydrostatic test, Colonial Pipeline will begin the process of tying the bypass segment into the main line (Line 1) and preparing for a safe restart of that line. Based on operational progress made to date and the anticipated schedule of work ahead, Colonial Pipeline now projects a Line 1 restart of tomorrow, Wednesday, September 21.

When Line 1 restarts, it will take several days for the fuel delivery supply chain to return to normal.  As such, some markets served by Colonial Pipeline may experience, or continue to experience, intermittent service interruptions.  Colonial continues to move as much gasoline, diesel and jet fuel as possible and will continue to do so until markets return to normal.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1