Menu

Need snack ideas for ds

whitestavern

My ds is very thin. He eats "enough" meaning three meals a day (though he doesn't eat a lot at a sitting) and likes to snack. I have little to no junk in the house but that is where is tastes lie. He loves processed carbs and sweets. Again, I don't have much of that in the house. He's also somewhat lazy in that he doesn't want to exert any effort in making himself something to eat. Usually he will eat a plain piece of wheat bread (eww) crackers, dry cereal, a Lara bar if I have them, yogurt. He's in cross country and hockey and is thin so he can definitely eat more high calorie foods. Here's what I'm looking for:

healthy (high quality fats are ok in my book; good carbs, protein)

budget friendly

easy to prepare or just grab out of a container (or something I can prepare ahead and freeze or refrigerate so it's easy for him)

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Edited by whitestavern

Yeah, it sounds like the trick will be in making easy to grab snacks available to him. Otherwise, he'll decide it is "too much trouble" to actually prepare a snack. 

• Buy large tubs of yogurt and divide them up into smaller snack-size containers (adding fruit or other topping of his choice)?
  • Nuts can get expensive but are a very convenient, nutrient dense, snack.
  • Deviled eggs. You can cook a dozen at a time and have them ready to go in the fridge.
  • Not very economical but if actually slicing cheese from a larger block is too much effort, the Baby Bel cheeses are convenient.
  • Doesn't sound like your son needs to be low carb so I'd also look at making fully cooked containers of steel cut oats ready. He can heat for a few seconds in the microwave.
  • Homemade granola.
  • Frozen fruit smoothies.

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 1

Most teen boys I know don't want to put a lot of effort into making food, especially for snacks. IMO, snacks should be fast and easy.

If I could afford to, I'd try to keep stocked up on the healthy snacks he does like, especially when he's in season or training. FWIW, I did find when my teens hit that point where they were very busy and very active I had to make some adjustments to the types of foods I kept on hand. Their nutritional needs, varying schedules, and individual preferences just didn't all gel with my ideals of menu and budget. 

If he drinks milk, I might look around for a healthy alternative to Carnation Instant Breakfast. 

If he likes leftovers, I'd make extra on purpose to keep in the fridge.

string cheese (or other grab-and-go cheese). 

homemade muffins, kept in the freezer

granola

frozen and/or toaster waffle

popcorn

frozen slices of pizza

Edited by Pippen

We are using a lot of Amy's organic frozen pizza right now. It is not very economical, but at least reasonably healthy and easy.  Also, tortilla topped with pepper jack cheese and put in the oven to melt the cheese as an easy open-face quesadilla. And again not so economical but also easy and relatively healthy, frozen fish with breading so they become pick up and go snacks.  If these are put in oven in morning, my ds will then eat them later as cold pizza, or cold the other things--though not, it turns out, if they have been wrapped in wax paper and the cheese or toppings get mushed.  

If you made up a box with a variety of snacks at the beginning of the week, would he choose out of that box? I'm thinking of something like this.

box in the refrigerator with: 

string cheese

individual size yogurt

sandwich wraps (make ahead)

carrots (individual servings in bags)

cut celery (individual servings in bags)

sliced green pepper (individual servings in bags)

individual serving cream cheese for bagels (available in stores or you can make your own with small containers)

pre-sliced cheese for crackers (divided into individual serving sizes in zip lock bags)

a countertop box with: 

fruit

granola bars 

protein bars

nuts (divided into servings)

trail mix (divided into individual servings in zip lock bags)

measured cereal portions in zip lock bags

whole wheat bagels (individual serving cream cheese in fridge box)

whole wheat crackers (individual serving in zip lock bags)

individual serving peanut butter (available in stores or you can divide your own w/small containers)

Here's a link to some "make ahead" snacks: 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sallytamarkin/insanely-good-snacks-you-can-make-ahead?utm_term=.gaVOOVYYOq#.qnXwwAvvwj

Thank you so much, all, for these great ideas! There are quite a few good ones I hadn't thought of. I especially like TechWife's suggestion of a box in the fridge and a box in the pantry; he will love how easy that is for him. I do have to be careful because I have a dd that struggles with weight, but I guess if most everything in there is healthy I won't concern myself too much with that.

• Like 1