Menu

Picture Study or other art suggestions?

I am looking for a website or blog with some picture studies, and not finding much yet, even when I looked for threads here...

I am on Simply Charlotte Mason, see picture study packets for sale. That's not what I want... In the mean time I will read their instructions and try one out from a sample they have provided...but if it comes to buying something at this point I'll be making my own and doing the lesson background myself if I have to...

Does anyone have suggestions for picture study lessons online? Or refer me to threads here?

I'm open to any other suggestions on how you "do art," or guidance on how to choose a piece of art or artist to study from among the millions of options?

DD7 doing ancients.

Thanks! -GG

Edited by Shred Betty

I am not a picture study expert, by any stretch of the imagination.  And I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for either, but enrichmentstudies.com has pre-made, digital packets on different artists or different themes.

This year, we are casually going through one of the "Come Look With Me" books and Laurie Bluedorn's free (on Kindle) "What do you see?"

A fun option might be "Art Fraud Detective" and the subsequent books.

Are you looking for art appreciation or artist study or developing observational skills/attention to details or different styles of art?

You could tie your picture study to your history study, but IMO ancients is less interesting than other history cycles.  You could also tie your picture study to any nature studies you are doing.  But really, it doesn't have to be tied to anything.  To me, the essence of picture study is "simply" enjoying/reveling in beauty.  

ETA:  Here's another resource that I've been eyeing, but I haven't done it ... http://artcuratorforkids.com/

Edited by domestic_engineer
  • Like 2

Homeschool Freebie has a link to Meet The Masters for free.  There are art appreciation lessons for each age group.

We're doing art study with Artistic Pursuits.  The elementary book one has a focus in the last half on chronological art, so we alternate lessons from each half to go with what we're doing in history.  We also grabbed the book Tell Me A Picture from the library, which goes through artists alphabetically.  Our week is something like this:

Focus on art/artist from AP.  We have art cards as well, so one thing we might look for is similarities between the current artist and others we've studied.  Does he paint things from real life?  Is it something imaginary?  What colors does he use?  Does her picture show motion or is it very still?  Is it trying to tell a story?  What is happening?  We've covered several techniques, so we look to see how the artist might have created the piece.  We spend the entire week on it, breaking up the AP lesson into at least 2, finding other things by the same artist, trying our hand at the same technique.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 4

You're welcome to print what I have at my website. I have a PDF file of art study instructions and even a few artist study collection files, which you can also print.

Here: Resources: The Arts

If you are looking for art particular to a time period, then you may have to hunt around a bit on my website. If you look under Resources: Year One, you'll see a couple of picture study suggestions. Year One, using A Child's History of the World, has a focus on the study of the ancients. If you need more picture study suggestions for the ancient time period, then you may have to look under Resources, Years Five (The Book of the Ancient World), Resources, Year Eight (The Book of the Ancient Greeks) and Resources, Year Nine (The Book of the Ancient Romans).

Here: Resources: Year One

:)

Edited by Kfamily
  • Like 2

Can you outline exactly what you're looking for? And then we can see if we know something that does that for you.

In the meanwhile, last year we used the National Gallery of Art's (nga.gov) website (this part of the website, it's under Education, Teachers, Lesson plans

http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/education/teachers/lessons-activities.html

My kids were in 5th and 8th, so I wanted some output from them. I would glance over the lesson, print the picture, and create a little worksheet of information for them to fill out. We'd do the suggested activity, or I'd make up one of my own. We live about 2 hours from Washington DC, so last May we took a trip to DC and got to see all but 3 pieces we'd studed (36 of them) in person. It was awesome to see the art we'd studied in person.

It was a bit of work for me to create the worksheets, but not too big of a deal. A lot of times the top part of the worksheet would have some fill in the blank sentences and places to put the artist's info (dates, where s/he was from, type of art), and the bottom is where I'd have them do an art project--drawing or painting right onto the worksheet. Some projects wouldn't fit on a worksheet and some would.

Anyway--it's free. You can see for yourself the age range for the lessons. You can just read the information they give about the artist and print out the picture for yourself. If you live close enough to DC, you can see all the art in one day.

To find the art in the museum, click on the picture and see the words to the right of the picture. If it says "On View", then click on the words "On View" and it will give you a map of the museum and will show you where the picture is in the museum. The boys had a great time using maps to find all the pictures.

(ETA: I kind of think that 5th -8th grade was the perfect age to do this study. Your little one might be too small. Maybe keep this idea for a future year, or another WTMer with older kids might like this idea.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

It might not be what you are looking for, but I got a nice little picture study book at lulu.com.  It goes with the classical writing primer series, but they offer the picture study books separately, and you can download them for free.  There is one for each season.  (The primers themselves have a price but not a high one, if you are interested.)

We just use them for conventional CM style picture study.  I've used the SCM portfolios before, and love them, but they are not inexpensive.

ETA: here is the link.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

I am so new to this that honestly I don't know what I need right now! Lol...

So I need to start by doing it in a way that will also teach me. I appreciate all of the links and feedback - I'll be checking them out then will probably come back for more questions for the hive when I know more of what I want.

But basically I'm looking to provide dd7 with experiences enjoying famous or historically valuable art, helping enrich topics but most specifically building observational skills & attention to detail as well as art appreciation.

Specifically it's important to me that it not overwhelm me with detail or options, I am sure when I have time to click those links I'll have more than enough materials! Bonus points if i stumble across something that gets me encouraging her to create art more in a manner that is simple and accessible - using materials we already have on hand.

Thanks hive!!!

Edited by Shred Betty

I'm trying to do something similar to you ... and I've broken it down on my "To-Do list" as the following:

(1)  Picture Study - goal:  build observational skills

(2)  Art Appreciation - goal:  recognize "famous" works or recognize the use of certain techniques

(3)  Art Instruction - goal:  get the kid creating art

By breaking "art" into these 3 items, then I get to check more boxes off my day's list :)  and it helps me focus on what I want to accomplish under the nebulous term "art."

Again, I'm no expert or even very experienced.  This is just how my brain works and the baby steps that i'm trying to take in order to avoid pushing art off in favor of the 3Rs.  Maybe it can help you too.

• Like 2

I'm trying to do something similar to you ... and I've broken it down on my "To-Do list" as the following:

(1) Picture Study - goal: build observational skills

(2) Art Appreciation - goal: recognize "famous" works or recognize the use of certain techniques

(3) Art Instruction - goal: get the kid creating art

By breaking "art" into these 3 items, then I get to check more boxes off my day's list :) and it helps me focus on what I want to accomplish under the nebulous term "art."

Again, I'm no expert or even very experienced. This is just how my brain works and the baby steps that i'm trying to take in order to avoid pushing art off in favor of the 3Rs. Maybe it can help you too.

Thanks for sharing! Yes I think what I need is to narrow the options to start with and focus my thinking/goals. This will help!

• Like 1

What I used when I taught a co-op class were the you tube videos of Art with Mati and Dada.  They are adorable cartoons (preview first, a couple I thought were a bit off), which teach about the famous artists and  their work.  I then created an art project to go along with it.  I also used the Exploring Great Artists book as reference.

• Like 1

I clicked on this link today that I saw in someone's signature. Of course, I can't find that poster now, but maybe she'll see this post and come forward. 

HTH.

Full disclosure: I'm posting this as much for me as for you. I want to be able to find it again!  :coolgleamA:

That's me  :seeya: 

I post one new artist study each month during the school year.  This year we will be covering: 

September 

• Elisabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun 
  • Quilled paper 

October

• Gunta Stolzl
  • Woven bookmarks 

November 

• Katsushika Hokusai
  • Marker & frisket resist 

December

• Alberto Giacometti
  • Needle felted sculpture

January 

• Jackson Pollock
  • Inktense splatter painting 

February

• Anastasia (the Medieval book artist who really doesn't have a last name)
  • Embossed copper illuminated letters

March 

• Paul Cezanne
  • Inktense on cloth

April

• Alessandro Boticelli
  • Pen & ink 

May will probably be clay & a current artist, but I don't have those plans firmed up yet.

SaveSave

• Like 3

That's me  :seeya:

I post one new artist study each month during the school year.  This year we will be covering: 

September 

• Elisabeth Louise Vigee Le Brun 
  • Quilled paper 

October

• Gunta Stolzl
  • Woven bookmarks 

November 

• Katsushika Hokusai
  • Marker & frisket resist 

December

• Alberto Giacometti
  • Needle felted sculpture

January 

• Jackson Pollock
  • Inktense splatter painting 

February

• Anastasia (the Medieval book artist who really doesn't have a last name)
  • Embossed copper illuminated letters

March 

• Paul Cezanne
  • Inktense on cloth

April

• Alessandro Boticelli
  • Pen & ink 

May will probably be clay & a current artist, but I don't have those plans firmed up yet.

SaveSave

So glad you saw this!  :hurray:

Your site is beautiful. You had me at Rockwell. 

Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

Homeschool Freebie has a link to Meet The Masters for free.  There are art appreciation lessons for each age group.

HomeAgain, the link is not working for me--it says it failed to download. I tried a couple of times. Anyone else having this problem?? It seems that the host domain for the link doesn't exist anymore.

Edited by cintinative

For art instruction, there's Art With a Purpose. It's inexpensive enough that you could buy one to review and not feel like you're committed to doing it because you spent the money. :-)

It's pretty decent instruction, using a variety of media and techniques. The publisher recommends that the teacher buy an ArtPac for herself and do each project before she presents it to the children.

Rainbow Resources sells it.

• Like 1

HomeAgain, the link is not working for me--it says it failed to download. I tried a couple of times. Anyone else having this problem?? It seems that the host domain for the link doesn't exist anymore.

Hmm..it was just up a few days ago.  I re-downloaded it since my dh accidentally dumped all my files.  Maybe it's just a temporary site problem?