Menu

Florida families, are you okay with the storm?

3 ladybugs

We have friends and extended family in Tallahassee who are without power but otherwise fine. Both universities up there as well as the public schools, are closed today. 

Today is wetter and windier than yesterday. We spent much of the day in Orlando yesterday and were expecting to be dodging rainstorms while there, but we only hit a little rain on the way home. 

On the "what type of weather do you like thread" I (and I think Katie too) said sunshine is a must. We've had 4 days now of barely seeing the sun. I'm over it. Way over it. 

I'm dying with the gloomy weather. I honestly was so tired and ready to go back to sleep, and was at the point of scheduling lab work to see if I'm anemic again when I realized it was just the gloomy weather. Ugh. Hoping for sun soon!

• Like 1

For various reasons, we decided to head up to visit my parents instead of staying in Tallahassee. We can tell our power is out (we have a nest thermostat and can't connect to it); looks like pretty much the whole city is without power. Lots of roads blocked due to downed trees.

DH's parents went by our house and said part of our fence is down, but otherwise things look fine, just lots of debris. We had five trees removed just a couple weeks ago - so very glad we did!

• Like 5

We got a foot of water inside dh's office building and our shop. Power was back on when the water receded this afternoon. Tomorrow we start the clean up in earnest.

I'm sorry. Hope clean up goes quickly and insurance too. 

So far, we have only lost the screen on the cage. I needed to replace it anyway, but was hoping the $6000 would just magically appear in my hand first.

We are getting that pesky southern arm of the storm. So, we will have heavy showers and wind all weekend.

My RV, on the other hand, is most likely flooded. I keep it in a flood zone near where I work so I do not have to drive all the way home after long shifts. I have been told the road is no longer passable by vehicle. Hopefully, by Monday I will be able to get to it.

These things are minor compared to what Louisiana just got. So sad for those who lost so much.

What kind of screen and cage? I can't imagine what kind would cost $6k.

We got a foot of water inside dh's office building and our shop. Power was back on when the water receded this afternoon. Tomorrow we start the clean up in earnest.

Bummer!  I hope it goes well and insurance assists without any issues.  I also hope you can regain the business lost from missing out on a Holiday weekend.

Take care.   :grouphug:

What kind of screen and cage? I can't imagine what kind would cost $6k.

That terminology wasn't used when we lived in FL (not in our circles anyway - perhaps elsewhere), but I'm assuming a screened in porch or patio - sometimes with a pool inside too.  Those were very common in the area and it could easily take 6K to replace one.  Time will tell if my assumption is correct - or not.  If not, then I'm curious too!  (A T-Rex cage? Nah, that would take more than 6K...   :lol: )

• Like 3

My mom had a attic fan that came apart and let water into her house, and ruined her 80 inch TV. She also had a branch come down on a tree that she had over her house. 

I am told that my family in Crystal River is fine but I don't know that that means. Tried to call yesterday and they were out. 

I am sorry for those without power. Ugg! Bird cage damage too! Not good! Bad storm!

I am preparing for the storm to hit us tomorrow. We will see. It seems we, more often then not, get storms this weekend. We purchased our house at the end of August 2008 and we opted to have flood insurance (don't needed it, just opted for it) so it is due around now. I think this is the 2nd or 3 time when we had a storm threaten us when that was due. Odd!

That terminology wasn't used when we lived in FL (not in our circles anyway - perhaps elsewhere), but I'm assuming a screened in porch or patio - sometimes with a pool inside too.  Those were very common in the area and it could easily take 6K to replace one.  Time will tell if my assumption is correct - or not.  If not, then I'm curious too!  (A T-Rex cage? Nah, that would take more than 6K...   :lol: )

I've never heard it either and I haven't left Florida (well, just for 5 years in the late 70s early 80s). It's possibly regional within the state.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Bummer!  I hope it goes well and insurance assists without any issues.  I also hope you can regain the business lost from missing out on a Holiday weekend.

Take care.   :grouphug:

Yes, it typically means a screened in lanai. They are often over pools to keep insects and leaves and whatnot out of the pool area, so they are also called pool cages.

• Like 2

Yes, cages are massive metal frames covered in screens that extend from the lanai. The lanai is the part of the outdoor space covered by a real roof that extends from the main part of the house. The cage then is just a big metal frame that covers the remainder of the outdoor space, but gets sun. In my opinion, they are great because one can sit outside all night in Florida without getting bit by a mosquito. Unfortunately, the $6000 will only cover new screen. It does not replace the frame which is starting to rust and probably needs replacing, too.

Good news, though. I made it to my RV and the water did not get inside! I was greeted by a massive snake, however, when I woke up this afternoon. I suspect he came in with the flood.

• Like 2

Yes, cages are massive metal frames covered in screens that extend from the lanai. The lanai is the part of the outdoor space covered by a real roof that extends from the main part of the house. The cage then is just a big metal frame that covers the remainder of the outdoor space, but gets sun. In my opinion, they are great because one can sit outside all night in Florida without getting bit by a mosquito. Unfortunately, the $6000 will only cover new screen. It does not replace the frame which is starting to rust and probably needs replacing, too.

Good news, though. I made it to my RV and the water did not get inside! I was greeted by a massive snake, however, when I woke up this afternoon. I suspect he came in with the flood.

Thanks for explaining the cage. We don't have such things up here!

What kind of snake was it? Where was it?

Well, I was going to "like" your thread, but then you mentioned the snake...

Glad your RV didn't flood!

Lanai is also a word that made it there since we left.  I was only familiar with it in HI prior to this thread, and in HI it can be a balcony or deck as well as a section on the ground.  When we were in FL, we called them those ground areas patios.  My grandma had a screened in patio that my sister and I loved.  It was larger than any room in her house.

Well, I was going to "like" your thread, but then you mentioned the snake...

Glad your RV didn't flood!

Lanai is also a word that made it there since we left.  I was only familiar with it in HI prior to this thread, and in HI it can be a balcony or deck as well as a section on the ground.  When we were in FL, we called them those ground areas patios.  My grandma had a screened in patio that my sister and I loved.  It was larger than any room in her house.

I've lived in FL all my life, and only know the word lanai because it was used on Golden Girls a lot :)

• Like 4