Menu

Well, that was exciting

Terabith

At 4 am this morning, an old man walked into our house yelling, "Help! Help!" Apparently the door hadn't been completely shut all the way. It was quickly evident that he was suffering from dementia. I called the police, who were awesome. But it made for an exciting morning.

Kids were freaked out, and the cat has been agitated about the stinky old man smell in the house. Hopefully everyone will recover.

• Like 4

Oh my goodness!  A couple years ago, a 70-year-oldish woman walked into our house about midnight.  Several of us were still awake and lounging in the living room off the front hall.  She just walked right in the door and stood in the front hall with our dog barking at her and all of us momentarily speechless.  She just confusedly said she must have walked in the wrong house, and she turned around and left.  She got in her car and drove away.

Honestly, I should have been scared, but I wasn't. I was confused. He had a story about someone having robbed him, and at first I thought he was just traumatized, but within a couple minutes I realized he was demented. I'm super glad he wound up in our house instead of some of our neighbor's. And the snarky part of me kept thinking, "Sure glad everyone involved is white." But the police were rock stars and the worst part was wandering around in front of police officers in my mid thigh nightgown and no bra.

• Like 1

Thank you for taking care of this man. My dad has dementia and I hope that if he were ever in a similar situation someone like you would be there for him.

Before everyone gets up in arms, know that my dad is well taken care of and well supervised. We have done everything we know to do to make sure that he is safe.

• Like 5

Thank you for taking care of this man. My dad has dementia and I hope that if he were ever in a similar situation someone like you would be there for him.

Before everyone gets up in arms, know that my dad is well taken care of and well supervised. We have done everything we know to do to make sure that he is safe.

Yes to this. My mother eloped from her adult family home several times in a short period before we could move her to a secure facility. It's pretty hard to contain a confused adult who is looking to leave 24 hours a day. One time she knocked on a door and someone gave her a ride to my house (the address was on her ID) and dropped her off without getting out of the car themselves, before I could thank them. They probably never knew the police were looking for her.

My experience with the police and elderly people with dementia has been fantastic. Every police interaction we had (there were several, across different departments) was handled beautifully by them.

Thank you so much for helping that man. I'm sure his family is relieved.

• Like 2

WOW!! That is scary!

When I had babies we had a lady start banging on our door in the middle of the night.  She was absolutely terrified.  She was banging and screaming, "Let me in!  They are chasing me with guns!"

It was absolutely terrifying.  I did not let her in, because I was worried about the people with guns attacking our family.  But husband called police, and went to the door to tell her the police were on the way.  

Then, she yelled, "Why!  Why did you call the police?  They never make the people go away.  The people just go to my attic."  She ran away, and the police later found her hiding in some bushes.

Oh my.

The police were quite good that night. They knew who the lady was and contacted her family and handled everything quickly and they were quite nice to the lady with issues.

I'm glad that your adventure turned out okay also.