Menu

My little carb problem

Tiramisu

If I exercise and eat very healthy without overdoing carbs during the day, night will come and I will gorge on cereal. If I don't exercise, I don't have this problem, and I am not a nighttime snacker generally.

Unless I learn to manage it, I will never get beyond this plateau.

If I don't eat as well, with a good amount of carbs, I won't gorge at night.

Either way, I'm usually around my calorie goal, but overdoing it before bed isn't good, is it? It doesn't feel good but somehow I really feel like need it at the time.

I've been counting calories for 115 days and lost 13.6 pounds. Usually I stagnate for a few weeks and then woosh! I lose over two pounds in a day.

I have a history of hypoglycemia. I've been better since exercising but I can still get a little funky.

Hmmm...I started exercising lately and have been craaaaaving cereal at night. And have been eating it, too. And lately it's been Cookie Crisp! Oh, how I love Cookie Crisp! I'm also not usually a nighttime snacker. But I'm reading this with a graham cracker smothered in peanut butter in hand and thinking, "Wow, this late night snack thing is fun!" The only reason I'm not eating cereal now is that I ran out of it.

I don't know the answer. I hadn't put the two together (exercise, cereal, carbs.). I think for me, I need to head to bed earlier, before I get the munchies, or else keep something like carrots nearby to munch on, though they're not nearly as fun as cereal.

• Like 1

for me - when exercising led to carb cravings, it was becasue my workout was too intense for my fitness level.  I didn't stop, just reduced the intensity.

eta: i agree, protein doesn't bring the highs and lows of carbs. I liked peanut butter on celery -but I felt better staying away from breads.  (I can eat pasta fine.

refined cereals are some of the worst things for me.  I have to avoid them.  I do add raw rolled oats to my greek yogurt and berries.

oh - I would add pureed pineapple, and coconut to unsweetened greek yogurt.  gave me a sweet - and the protein in the yogurt. ( don't eat regular commercial yogurt because it's loaded with sugars.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I have the same problem. I recently cut out grain and sugar to help control my PCOS. I'm okay during the day, but at night I find myself pacing around the kitchen like a caged animal looking desperately for some carbs. The only thing that seems to help is a spoonful of peanut butter and a glass of milk. And yes, I know there's some sugar in the PB, but it's better than driving to the nearest gas station and buying out the pastry case. ;)

• Like 3

I embrace my nighttime cereal indulgence. I loves me some Lucky Charms at midnight! I've hit the age where my appetite has dropped. I moved the big meal to twoish and I'm just not hungry for dinner half the time. On those nights I get a little snacky before bedtime and that's when I eat the cereal. I can't blame the family. My teens and DH don't even like sugary cereals . . . buncha weirdos.

• Like 2

On days that you exercise do you eat just a bit more during the day? Maybe have a slightly larger dinner? When I'm hungry at night I can almost always attribute it to not consuming enough calories during the day. I know lots of people like to save some for an evening snack, but that's a recipe for disaster for me. Once I start eating in the evening I have a hard time stopping. If I consume those extra calories as a mid or late afternoon snack or by having a little bit more at dinner then I'm usually okay at night.

• Like 2

Is there a low carb snack that you enjoy and can look forward too? Maybe you can plan to have that at night when the cravings come. I heard that dry wines are low carb. I would definitely prefer a glass of wine over a sugary cereal, lol. (I honestly don't know if wine is truly low carb but maybe there is another low carb treat you can use.)

• Like 1

I'd try to add protein to your nighttime carbs. An apple with cheese, toast with peanut butter, etc. Also, I almost think a small amount of ice cream would be better than cereal. Cereal is nothing more than sugar. At least with ice cream you'd have protein and fat.

• Like 1

I'd definitely try adding a little more fat and protein.  As suggested above, a spoonful of peanut butter (or sun butter) might do the trick.  Or a handful of nuts.  (Just be careful, as I think a little goes a long way with nuts - when I eat too many, well, not good.)  Follow with a big glass of water.

There is something to exercise making people hungrier.  Check out The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, which is all about carbs and exercise.  (I've been meaning to re-read this for weeks but it's still sitting there in my pile.)

• Like 1

Are you actually hungry or is this just a bad habit? If you are hungry, eat some protein or nuts.

If you aren't hungry, maybe you just need to make an effort to stop? You know it is bad for you, you don't want to eat it and you have full control over your hands. I know it isn't fun but it really isn't hard.

• Like 2

Are you actually hungry or is this just a bad habit? If you are hungry, eat some protein or nuts.

If you aren't hungry, maybe you just need to make an effort to stop? You know it is bad for you, you don't want to eat it and you have full control over your hands. I know it isn't fun but it really isn't hard.

I've never been a night time eater, and I almost always under my calorie goal. But it's that combination of a hard work out and careful eating, that will throw me over the edge. And it's not especially sugary cereal. But the urge got it can be really intense. I think if I would eat more fats earlier in the day that might give me enough to withstand the urge. I'm also better if I workout at night because there's less time to hit that ravenous point.

I have hypoglycemia. I have done none and low carb and what helps the night time hunger most for me is to limit my carbs to dinner, and that does not mean to eat a ton of carbs.

If I am hungry at n8ght, I eat nuts. I always have a variety of raw and roasted on hand.

I used to eat s lot of nuts and when my hypoglycemia was bad, I'd even carry them in my purse. But since counting calories, I haven't been eating nuts at all. :(

I'd definitely try adding a little more fat and protein. As suggested above, a spoonful of peanut butter (or sun butter) might do the trick. Or a handful of nuts. (Just be careful, as I think a little goes a long way with nuts - when I eat too many, well, not good.) Follow with a big glass of water.

There is something to exercise making people hungrier. Check out The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, which is all about carbs and exercise. (I've been meaning to re-read this for weeks but it's still sitting there in my pile.)

Thanks for the link. I was always curious about that.

Is there a low carb snack that you enjoy and can look forward too? Maybe you can plan to have that at night when the cravings come. I heard that dry wines are low carb. I would definitely prefer a glass of wine over a sugary cereal, lol. (I honestly don't know if wine is truly low carb but maybe there is another low carb treat you can use.)

I was doing very well for a long time with unsweetened Greek yogurt as a snack when I needed something. Then it started making me itchy, but I wasn't sure if it was the yogurt or the berries I added. That was my go-to and losing that option was depressing.

Cereal is my kryptonite. I can not.start. would steel cut oats or some quinoa with nuts or yogurt or fruit serve the same purpose with much less gorge potential?

Gorge potential is a great concept. Cereal has it.

There's milk left in the bowl, so I'll just add a little more cereal....

I just got some quinoa and lentils today, actually. So maybe I'll cook them and have them handy to avoid things with gorge potential.