Menu

Not liking life right now

Janeway

Thank whatever deity you worship for the brilliance of Willis Carrier.

Modify your daily activity to take advantage of the blessings he has brought to us.

LOL, Ravin. I was just about ready to post, "Thank you, Jesus, for air conditioning" when I saw this.

I do thank God often for air conditioning and for my washer and dryer.  :)

• Like 1

Thank whatever deity you worship for the brilliance of Willis Carrier.

Modify your daily activity to take advantage of the blessings he has brought to us.

actually  - you should be thanking Dr. John Gorrie (and mosquitoes).  he is the actual inventor of A/C, before Willis Carrier was even born.     he thought heat caused malaria and he developed it to treat his patients.

It's hot and humid here too, and I'm grouchy. It's probably why I'm so annoyed by those Subway fundraising cards today.

And why I'm so annoyed by an email asking me to take ownership of a booth for a ministry here in town during the town festival I'm planning. I've taken enough ownership already 😕

Kelly

I'm in the mid-atlantic. It's all kinds of humid. I love summer, but all the other people in thus house hate the heat. My house is cold year-round. My power bills are higher in the summer. If we're out and about and they're all getting cranky, I resort to Slushy Therapy. Seriously, if I get a slushy in them, they're much nicer people. I give them what they want and I go out on the patio to thaw out :-/

It's only 80 degrees outside right now. You shouldn't really need AC at 80, but here I sit in socks and a hoodie in my dry, frigid house.

I feel like the midwest is the worst. You get so hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. So there are just a few months of nice weather. Down south you have the crazy hot summers, but than the rest of the year is nice.

Oh see, and I'm the opposite. I feel like there really should be four distinct seasons. It keeps life interesting and worth living. Cold/snow = cozy fires, hot chocolate, books, movies, snuggles, snowmobiling. Hot = playing in water, popsicles, boating, lazing about in the shade. Spring/Fall = some cozy wet days, some get out and explore days - watch everything turn green & flowers bloom in spring, and see everything go dormant & the leaves turn colors in the fall.

South is boring. And depressing. And hot. And boring. Same old, same old. And yes, too much sunshine is oppressive and soul-sucking. And worst of all : more venomous creatures.

• Like 2

South is boring. And depressing. And hot. And boring. Same old, same old. And yes, too much sunshine is oppressive and soul-sucking. And worst of all : more venomous creatures. 

Ah, it's not that bad. It is hot. And humid. And lots of venomous things waiting outside the door to bite you. But I have to admit, I'd miss the song of the cicadas, the sound of the first Chuck-Wall's-Widow in spring, peepers in January, August fog forecasting February snows, those weird warm days in March, daffodils with a dusting of snow, November rain and a cup of hot tea on the porch, hummingbirds running me off the deck in July, okra, watermelon dripping down my chin, and the way a tomato smells in the warmth of a summer day.

I'll tolerate the heat for all of those things. But I sure do like my air conditioned bat cave to do it in!

• Like 2

You....you! :cursing: :laugh:

I'm thankful for clouds. They keep the sun from trying to kill me. Summer seasonal depression--it's a thing, y'all.

It definitely is. I become a complete shut in from mid to late June until mid September. I'm not kidding. Unless it's a trip to the ER, I don't go anywhere. I just can't hack it. I'm starting to go crazy.

Also, forget the winter weight gain. I gain weight in the summer from lack of activity and lose it in the fall and winter when I can stand to be out doing things.

• Like 1

Also, forget the winter weight gain. I gain weight in the summer from lack of activity and lose it in the fall and winter when I can stand to be out doing things. 

Almost the same here, but sometimes I don't eat at all, and so most of the time I stay pretty static from spring. What kills me is the lack of sleep. I can't sleep or stay asleep, but these dark curtains over the windows are helping with that quite a bit.

ETA: I can get out, though. I can go to work when I must, and I can take a trip somewhere as long as there are clouds and shade as long as I don't stay out all day. But then I've got to hole up in my dark room for a while.

Edited by Critterfixer

Down south you have the crazy hot summers, but than the rest of the year is nice.  

No, ma'am, it is not. Part of May and part of October are nice.

DH and I make rain forest jokes year-round here. After 17 years, it isn't funny any more.

We get ice storms (February), tropical storms and hurricane remnants (especially in September), tornadoes (typically March/April), and they all cause power outages (withholding my political comment on that one). Flash flood warnings year-round; I've told the weather radio not to even bother beeping over them any more. The whole month of August's forecast is usually 95F with a 60% chance of rain. January can be 80 or 28, or both, a week or so apart. I let DS wear shorts to Easter Mass because it was that outrageously hot. We have to run a dehumidifier even in the winter.

It is delightful a whopping three weeks a year, five if we're lucky.

• Like 2

I don't like the heat either (and the mosquitoes...and the sun because I burn) so I am always inside.  Between summer and winter, I figure I'm inside at least half of the year.  How can that be good for you?  Sometimes I think we should have just stayed in San Diego. 

Sometimes I think we should move to San Diego.  But then I remember the traffic and the housing prices....

No, ma'am, it is not. Part of May and part of October are nice.

DH and I make rain forest jokes year-round here. After 17 years, it isn't funny any more.

We get ice storms (February), tropical storms and hurricane remnants (especially in September), tornadoes (typically March/April), and they all cause power outages (withholding my political comment on that one). Flash flood warnings year-round; I've told the weather radio not to even bother beeping over them any more. The whole month of August's forecast is usually 95F with a 60% chance of rain. January can be 80 or 28, or both, a week or so apart. I let DS wear shorts to Easter Mass because it was that outrageously hot. We have to run a dehumidifier even in the winter.

It is delightful a whopping three weeks a year, five if we're lucky.

Ha ha.

I so hear you.  We are outside about this much as well in the lovely midwest.  What's the point?  WHY DO I LIVE HERE, I ask myself every year.  But I have a kid who was just admitted to an awesome school with many opportunities, so I guess we are waiting that out and dreaming of sunny beaches and cool breezes...

It definitely is. I become a complete shut in from mid to late June until mid September. I'm not kidding. Unless it's a trip to the ER, I don't go anywhere. I just can't hack it. I'm starting to go crazy.

I wish you were near me.  We could drive our air-conditioned cars to the nearest air-conditioned coffee shop and commiserate.  ;)

We had some horrible heat and humidity earlier this summer. Like 85-89 degrees, in a place there nobody has air conditioning, and humidity near raining. It was awful and annoying. Now we are sitting in the 59-65 degree zone with intermittent showers and I love it. This is my favorite Alaska weather when it comes to livability, because the heat is intolerable. The same temperatures never bothered me in California but it was SO much more dry and everything was air conditioned.

I spent 50 years living in Texas, with only a couple of years in Louisiana which is not much better weather wise.

I've been in Northern California for almost a month now. It is 74 and sunny with a breeze right now. I really never realized how depressing and oppressive the heat was.

I think I'll just plan on spending the next 50 years here.

Welcome to the Bermuda Triangle. You will never be able to escape this place. Every year your will will grow weaker and weaker. Every year your ability to handle heat, cold and bugs will decrease to the point that the thought of living anywhere else will be out of the question. And if you raise kids here, they will be like boomerangs, will attemp to go explore somewhere else, but always bounce back home. Yes, there have been successful escapes, but we suspect those people are just being held against their will somewhere where no one wants to go. Long live northern CA! 😂

• Like 1

Oh see, and I'm the opposite. I feel like there really should be four distinct seasons. It keeps life interesting and worth living. Cold/snow = cozy fires, hot chocolate, books, movies, snuggles, snowmobiling. Hot = playing in water, popsicles, boating, lazing about in the shade. Spring/Fall = some cozy wet days, some get out and explore days - watch everything turn green & flowers bloom in spring, and see everything go dormant & the leaves turn colors in the fall.

The sun hurts my skin. When I go outside, I can feel the pain on my skin.