Menu

5th Grade Writing?

MEVmom

I'm struggling to find a good fit for my rising 5th grader. He is very strong when it comes to all things LA, and reading is his passion! He wants to be an author. My husband is the one teaching writing. He didn't like WWE, so we are looking for something else...

I love IEW! If he's strong in LA, you might consider SWI-B, but SWI-A is intended for 3rd-5th graders. IEW's TWSS, which teaches you how to teach writing, revolutionized my world. I have a math degree and teaching writing was one of my biggest concerns. Learning the IEW method showed me that I could teach writing and enjoy it. 

• Like 1

We just always followed the recommendations in WTM. We did dictation. In 5th grade we were using Classical House of Learning Literature, and she included dictation in her guides, so we did it there. We did Rod and Staff English and all composition exercises.  We had done narrations for grammar stage with SOTW and had started 5th doing logic stage history writing: lots of outlining and written summaries. And we had pen pals.

What skills are you trying to teach?

I would say IEW is more focused for kids who don't love writing. WWS is also very parts to whole, but my boys are OK with it.

I will tell you though, if you want to teach an essay (5 paragraph style), Thinking in Threes has been marvelous in our home and it's perfect that age group. I am running my DS11 through it now (won't take us more than 3 weeks) before his WWS2 class kicks in. I feel WWS really needs to be paired with a whole to parts program to work for us. We also have MCT Essay Voyage to read over the year.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys! For writing so far we have done narrations of course, and also R&S 6. Plus he's done WWE as I mentioned. A lot of programs you all mentioned are ones I've not heard of, so this gives me some good research options.

Can anyone tell me more about the writing instruction provided by MCT?

What skills are you trying to teach?

I would say IEW is more focused for kids who don't love writing. WWS is also very parts to whole, but my boys are OK with it.

I will tell you though, if you want to teach an essay (5 paragraph style), Thinking in Threes has been marvelous in our home and it's perfect that age group. I am running my DS11 through it now (won't take us more than 3 weeks) before his WWS2 class kicks in. I feel WWS really needs to be paired with a whole to parts program to work for us. We also have MCT Essay Voyage to read over the year.

:iagree:  and  :iagree: