Menu

Do You Doctor-Up Jarred Spaghetti Sauce?

umsami

107 members have voted

1. 1. Do you doctor up jarred (non homemade) spaghetti sauce?

• Yes, of course, doesn't everybody?
    • Depends on the brand
    • No, Mr. Bertoli/Ragu/Prego/Newman knows what he's doing.
    • Never use jarred sauce. We're a homemade type of family.
    • We don't do pasta and/or sauce.
    • Other

We buy the healthier sauces - usually just spiced with garlic and herb - then add our own mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, and sometimes deerburger.  The tomatoes, green pepper, and deerburger come from our farm (wild deer, but on our farm).  When not in "fresh" season, the tomatoes and green peppers come from our freezer.

Hubby adds hot pepper (from our garden) to his - either fresh in season or dried out of season.

This year I started adding fresh basil (grown by youngest son) too.  He's been drying some for use later.

I add beef.

To be honest, I've been making it from scratch for a while....until recently when we were in a time-pinch, and I bought 2 jars of sauce, added beef, and called it done.  I took one bite and looked at my DH and said...."This is better than my homemade sauce, isn't it?"  His response was that they were different and both good.  To which I thought, Shoot!  I'm just buying the sauce from now on!

Which one did you buy? :)

I make my own meat sauce but when we have chicken parm I use a jarred sauce without any doctoring.  I want my family to appreciate the effort I go to when I make my own sauce so I kind of want the jarred sauce to be 'less than'. I know, I'm awful. 

• Like 5

I add beef.

To be honest, I've been making it from scratch for a while....until recently when we were in a time-pinch, and I bought 2 jars of sauce, added beef, and called it done. I took one bite and looked at my DH and said...."This is better than my homemade sauce, isn't it?" His response was that they were different and both good. To which I thought, Shoot! I'm just buying the sauce from now on!

Yeah, we don't use jarred sauce because it is quick, but because everyone likes the flavor better. The goal of spaghetti is to make something delicious and not necessarily quick. So the combo of the jarred sauce and all the add ins wins in this house, because it's not really s convenience food here.