Menu

What car do we want?

MASHomeschooler

We'll be replacing my husband's car sometime soon, and we are having trouble finding something we can agree on.

My requirements:

< ~$30,000 (possibly into 30's for a hybrid)

Able to comfortably seat the family, including 3 kids who will be teenagers before this car's time is done

Able to take a good Costco load in addition to the people

Reasonable gas mileage

Good safety and other ratings

Probably AWD or 4WD as we will be moving to a place with snow and he has very little experience driving in snow

My husband's requirements:

Fun to drive (seems to mean good acceleration and handling)

Cool (seems to mean has something unique about it; pickups and convertibles are both cool to him, but the small SUVs/crossovers I've suggested are not)

Manual transmission (may be able to get him to agree to automatic if it seems fun and cool)

We don't do regular hauling or anything, and my car is a minivan, which has been able to haul anything we needed to haul so far. His current car is a Hyundai Elantra, which he hates. Partly because it's boring, but it has also had a number of issues. He drives my minivan when I don't need it because he prefers it to his car, but he does not want another minivan, and says a large SUV would be the same as getting a minivan, so also out.

I love my Toyota Sequoia.  It's a fabulous V8, not really beefy enough for towing much, but great in the snow and ice.  I get low 20s MPG.  We regularly have all eight seats full and make monthly Costco runs.

But, I always recommend this website when people are car shopping.  Once you find the make/model you like, it's worth a check on here to make sure there aren't any weird issues:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/

• Like 1

Kids are currently 7, 9, and 11. It does come up often enough that my car is unavailable (I've taken it or it is in the shop or seats are out because we're hauling stuff, etc.) and all 3 kids are in the back of his car. Usually stuff is also involved (Costco run being common and descriptive; not talking about big items but Costco groceries). This is currently squishy with 2 backless boosters and oldest in the middle, and leg room is barely OK for them now. Since they will be teenagers before we get rid of the new car, more room will be needed. It is not the most common way we use his car, but not being able to use it this way would be a big inconvenience.

I love my Toyota Sequoia.  It's a fabulous V8, not really beefy enough for towing much, but great in the snow and ice.  I get low 20s MPG.  We regularly have all eight seats full and make monthly Costco runs.

But, I always recommend this website when people are car shopping.  Once you find the make/model you like, it's worth a check on here to make sure there aren't any weird issues:

Thanks! I am bookmarking that now; we definitely need that kind of info.

• Like 1

We love ours too but we get about 17mpg.  It is a 2004 and runs really well still.

But we commute and run around town in a smaller car.

The Sequoia is probably bigger than we'll go, although it looks and sounds great. Just to show you how illogical my husband's criteria are, when I suggested the RAV4, he said, "But we already have a Toyota. We can't have 2 Toyotas."  :confused1:  We are very happy with my Sienna. We have noted before that we've not had more than one car by any car company, but I don't have any idea why it would be a negative to do so.

Volkswagen Jetta? Big interior, humongous trunk space (although, alas, ours is not a hatchback), fantastic gas mileage. DH regularly gets well over 40mph, even in winter. He appreciates the Turbo, which I guess might up the fun to drive factor? The hatchbacks are cool (imo), especially in a nice colour. Plus, it's well, well below your budget so you could add features like a moonroof if you wanted.

The only thing it doesn't have on your list (I think) is AWD. For that, you might consider a Subaru (which imo fit your every need. I loooove my Subaru).

• Like 1

Volkswagen Jetta? Big interior, humongous trunk space (although, alas, ours is not a hatchback), fantastic gas mileage. DH regularly gets well over 40mph, even in winter. He appreciates the Turbo, which I guess might up the fun to drive factor? The hatchbacks are cool (imo), especially in a nice colour. Plus, it's well, well below your budget so you could add features like a moonroof if you wanted.

The only thing it doesn't have on your list (I think) is AWD. For that, you might consider a Subaru (which imo fit your every need. I loooove my Subaru).

Thanks! I'll check that out. I don't think either of us thought of VW for some reason. I think Turbo would definitely meet the fun to drive criteria, and under budget would be great.

I grew up and learned to drive in the mountains and love Subaru, too. We actually had a Forester before the Sienna and I liked it. I think the room in the back was a bit skimpy, but I think they may have redesigned it since then, and there's other models to check out. I'll have to see if they're "cool" to my husband (who knows?) but other than that I think you're right.

• Like 1

We have a Ford Flex (only two seats in the second row) because the kids and everyone who rides in the back seat says it is the most comfortable ride. I do not think it is fun to drive. It can handle a decent Cosctco run. 

Interesting. I used to know someone who had a Mazda 5, I think, with 3 rows of 2 seats each. I thought we might like that, but when I searched it looks like they don't make it anymore. I'll check that out, but our one experience with a Ford (his car in college) was not a good one so it might be a hard sell even if it meets the other criteria.

Edited by MASHomeschooler

Mazda 5s are pretty easy to find used though, for definitely less than 30K. (We got our 2010 a couple weeks ago for 9K in a *very* HCOL area) I wouldn't say they're particularly cool or fun to drive, however.  I guess that depends on what you're comparing them to! ;) They do have good pick-up and acceleration, turn radius is pretty good for a car that size/body shape so ease of driving is there. The gas mileage is pretty good for a larger car as well. We had one before leaving the States and came back, bought another one. If you google something like good value 3-row car, you'll get all kinds of lists. The Mazda5 tops a few of them. ;)

Mazda 5s are pretty easy to find used though, for definitely less than 30K. (We got our 2010 a couple weeks ago for 9K in a *very* HCOL area) I wouldn't say they're particularly cool or fun to drive, however.  I guess that depends on what you're comparing them to! ;) They do have good pick-up and acceleration, turn radius is pretty good for a car that size/body shape so ease of driving is there. The gas mileage is pretty good for a larger car as well. We had one before leaving the States and came back, bought another one. If you google something like good value 3-row car, you'll get all kinds of lists. The Mazda5 tops a few of them. ;)

Good to know; thanks. Yeah, I wasn't sure about it meeting dh's criteria, but I was going to check it out and was surprised I couldn't find it. But maybe I'll run it by him if used ones are easy to come by.

We just bought a Subaru Forester and while it is probably fine your kids now, it won't be as they get older.

Mine are 19,17 and 15 and if we all want to go somewhere, we fit, but it is not comfy for anything longer than 45 minutes.

That said, you can get in as a manual transmission,  it is AWD, has good mileage (26 in town/30+ on the highway), has good storage, and it is fun to drive (compared to my 2001 Honda Odyssey)

• Like 2

I love my Toyota Sequoia. It's a fabulous V8, not really beefy enough for towing much, but great in the snow and ice. I get low 20s MPG. We regularly have all eight seats full and make monthly Costco runs.

But, I always recommend this website when people are car shopping. Once you find the make/model you like, it's worth a check on here to make sure there aren't any weird issues:

Wow! How do you get that gas mileage? I test drove a Sequoia before buying my Yukon XL, and the gas mileage on the Sequoia range was around 15 mph, and possibly less in town. I know someone that has one and she said it's awful on gas mileage. I mean she loves the vehicle, and I did too, but she said the gas mileage was terrible.

subaru outback!

My answer before I even scanned the other responds. 😉

My husband will be buying one this fall, and he is a huge (and super picky) car geek. We are hoping to find something used, but they hold their value so well. They are super practical and I think the looks have improved from what they once were.

• Like 3

We have a Subaru Outback, manual (of course :laugh:  ), and LOVE it. Yes, it's a little cosy with 5 adults :) but we usually only have 3 or 4 of us on long trips, and we love AWD. We use this car for snow trips (Sierra Mountains) in the winter. (Even when my husband tried to make it slip on the ice, it wouldn't!)

It is over 15 years old now and still going strong.

ETA: I just looked at your list of requirements :) and I think an Outback is "cool" if by cool you mean outdoorsy-cool. When we go to the mountains, it is definitely the most popular type of car. Skiers and backpackers and mountain men and such types have Subarus. Around here, if a car has skis on the roof, it is probably a Subaru. And I can't tell you how many minivans and SUVs we have seen churning their wheels in the snow or slipping on the ice ... while we sail serenely by ...

We did get a 'bubble' to put on top for long car trips, to hold luggage, boots, equipment, etc. The trunk is roomy, but not enough for four people's stuff, esp. if there is sports equipment going along.

Edited by Laura in CA