Menu

Physics for a 5th grader without a curriculum

JRmommy

My son wants to study physics this year.  I've considered buying a curriculum for it, but none of the curricula I've researched seems to be the fit I'm wanting.  Has anyone done anything like this with just using a few books as the spine and some supplies?  If it makes any difference, my degree is in Mechanical Engineering and physics was a favorite of mine.  So, I'm not afraid to tackle this on my own. I'm just looking for the best resources.  Thanks!

We enjoyed the Physics Discovery kit from Thames & Kosmos this past year when DD was in 6th grade. They have several other physics kits available too. I would think that something like that combined with a good spine would be worthwhile. We like World of Science from MFW as a good physical science spine.

• Like 1

What have you researched and ruled out?

Ruled out - RSO Physics, Apologia Chem & Phys, Christian Kids Explore

Considering - NOEO, Elemental Science (Both of these seem the best I've come across. I like NOEO better but the Young Scientists Club kits don't have the best reviews.)

I would get The Way Things Work book. IIRC, Coursera has a course that goes along with it you can probably utilize, too.

This is definitely the direction I'm considering. I have The New Way Things Work book and started looking over it. Maybe along with some K'Nex kits, this might be a winner!

We did Noeo Physics II.  The YSC kits are terrible.  They're demonstration-only kits, not labs, and they tell you exactly what you will see in the directions.  My kid was disappointed.  We ended up ditching the kits and doing Thames & Kosmos kits instead, supplemented with Lakeshore Learning tubs.  It was more expensive by a long shot, but better for both of our sanity.

You might consider Mystery Science.  Oh, and another great supplement would be the Science Of Imagineering videos.  They're helpful to see applied physics.

• Like 1

We enjoyed the Physics Discovery kit from Thames & Kosmos this past year when DD was in 6th grade. They have several other physics kits available too. I would think that something like that combined with a good spine would be worthwhile. We like World of Science from MFW as a good physical science spine.

Thanks for the reminder about the T & K kits. I'm sure they would go great with a spine. I'll have to check into World of Science. Thank you!

• Like 1

I'm with you and we've tried diy this year but it hasn't worked that well. Good quality kids physics books that go beyond the very basics seem few and far between. One thing we had fun with though it's not in depth conceptually is "roller coaster physics" where you build a cardboard marble run then explore various physics principles with it.

I think part of the problem is you really need higher level math ability beyond basics and my science lover is still struggling with grade level math.

Novare science and math has a teacher book that covers basic physics concepts. Basically you would educate yourself and then include it in whatever you do with your children. He taught high school for 15 years and had 36 graduate hours in physics and realized elementary teachers had no idea what should be covered at an earlier age. Thus this text for teachers and parents to get them up to speed.

http://novarescienceandmath.com/catalog/set-v1/

Hope you find something that fits.

Missy

My 5th grader loves the Secrets of the Universe series by Paul Fleisher.

Liquids and Gases: Principles of Fluid Mechanics

Objects in Motion: Principles of Classical Mechanics

Matter and Energy: Principles of Matter and Thermodynamics

Waves: Principles of Light, Electricity, and Magnetism

Relativity and Quantum Mechanics: Principles of Modern Physics

We just borrow the books from the library.

• Like 1

Is it so

For 5th grade? I thought that was a high school text.

If you can find an inexpensive copy, it might be worth it to check it out. If you hate it, send me a pm and I'll buy it off you. ;)

I used Conceptual Chemistry this year to teach 9th graders. It's a college text for non-majors, but it was very basic. It seemed basic, even for a high school course. I'll be using it with my 7th grader this year. Even if you can't hand it off to your ds to read, you could use it as a spine for discussion and projects.