Menu

I want to do it all!!!! MCT, BW, WWE

I really like all of it.  Well...we've never tried MCT and while I do have BW, we never actually done it.   But I so so like what I read about it.  So far we have only done WWE and it's nice and easy and working OK. 

What should I do??  Tell me what to do!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.  We are finishing up WWE2.  We are working through AAS2.  That is all that has been done for LA so far.   We tried FLL, but couldn't deal with the repetitiveness

LOL Recently I counted. We have 7 Language Arts curricula.

We started with WWE and FLL, then added in AAS. But, like you, I liked them ALL!!

So this year we took a break from WWE but continued FLL and AAS, and added in CAP Fable, and MCT, which we've done mostly as read-alloys, not a lot of extra writing yet. We have added the sentence analysis though. And we're only partway through the whole year worth of materials.

After we finish Fable I think we might do Treasured Conversations, but skipping the grammar. I'm pretty sure the two grammar curricula we're already doing will have covered it!

BW is sitting on my shelf. It hasn't been incorporated yet. If I read it that might help!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's a sign.  You want Writing Tales, because it would be everything you liked about BW, etc., all in one.  :D

Is this really for boys ages 7 and 6?  Do they actually like to write?  Do they type?  They're doing nicely with their AAS and WWE, wow.  Do they write little narrations or jot their thoughts about things?  (letters to Santa, grocery lists, planning for camping trips, etc.)  You consider the 7 yo rising 2nd or rising 3rd?  This is still an age where simple is good and adequate.  If they LIKE doing more, they can do more.  

I like the How to Report on Books series.  Very no muss, no fuss.  It almost sounds like you feel like you'll just feel better when you see them writing.  So give them some structure where that writing comes in without it having to be overmuch and jump the gun, kwim?  It's ok to let these skills be formative and percolate.  One year I picked a science (BJU) specifically because it had nice writing assignments at the end of every chapter.  They were pretty interesting too, like make a plan for your own eco park, that kind of thing.  So a little bit of science writing, a little bit of history writing (creative or narrative) and they'd be there.  

Jot It Down from BW would be fine with ages 6/7.  Once you say 7/8, Writing Tales would bring a lot more to the table.  I'm not a huge fan of the Jungle thing from BW, but that's just me.  You'll notice though that Rosie and I are sort of saying the same thing, that some of this is just about giving them gentle, interesting excuses to write their thoughts and get something going.  So whether that is prompted by a Gravois book on creative projects or BW free writes or an interesting prompt in a science curriculum or the Unjournaling writing prompts or whatever, all the same idea.

Just as an idea for you, I had my dd do a Take 5 Minutes History Fact a Day editing program around that age.  We paired it with Writing Tales.  Anyways, I printed the slips for each day and wrote the number of errors on it.  Then, when she had found the correct number, she copied the strip correctly as copywork.  You could really max that out if you wanted.  Like if you've decided to do latin, then maybe you go ok lick and a promise on grammar, kwim?  So you could parse the sentence you're editing, discuss the grammar, done.  We liked that history fact editing, but of course IEW has their Fix It program to do something similar.  I just like simple, trim things.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the ideas!!

All this would be for my 7, almost 8 yr old, rising 3rd grader.  I *think* he likes to write, he started his own journal  a little while ago.   I was looking at BW Arrow and I really liked the book selection and I liked that it incorporated grammar as well.  And of course MCT looks soooo good as well......

When I was a kid, I was a very good writer (in my native country) but I don't remember anyone ever teaching us how to do it.   And after we moved to US and I could finally put two sentences together, I was also told that I am good.   But I always thought it was one of those things - you either have it or you don't. 

My kid also wants to take a writing class come Sept.    So I am seriously trying to figure out my plan for LA for next year.   We really haven't done any science or history over the last year so I really really have to make sure it gets done and yet, I am sitting here, trying to fit 10 different LA curricula........

I do manage to fit both MCT and BW in, using only 30 minutes/day, 5 days/week. It's not *all* of BraveWriter, but we regularly do Arrows and a bit of the writing projects in that time. (DD enjoys writing and writes on her own, so I don't stress over the writing projects.) It is all of MCT. Island fit into this timeframe quite nicely, though I'm thinking Town might take us over a year.

Just sayin', it's entirely possible.

I do manage to fit both MCT and BW in, using only 30 minutes/day, 5 days/week. It's not *all* of BraveWriter, but we regularly do Arrows and a bit of the writing projects in that time. (DD enjoys writing and writes on her own, so I don't stress over the writing projects.) It is all of MCT. Island fit into this timeframe quite nicely, though I'm thinking Town might take us over a year.

Just sayin', it's entirely possible.

Hmmm.....so may be I am not as crazy as I thought ..... :)

It's not a crazy idea...I'm right there with ya'.  I find that my oldest DD (rising 3rd) gets bored with any one language arts curriculum and I get tired with things we've been doing around about February. So it's nice to have something else (even something new) to pull out when the doldrums hit. During the year I typically blend several curricula anyway to keep up interest.

Last year I used BJU English as my spine (grammar part) and added in Sentence FamiIy (cheap, digital and fun available on Currclick), Easy Grammar and the free Core Knowledge Skills material. I started a little bit of "formal" writing instruction with IEW (I have lots of the books from teaching my now 12 year old).

This year I will continue with Sentence Family (big hit) and try blending MCT Grammar Island with First Language Lessons and, for something "new," Classical Academic Press's new grammar program Well Ordered Language https://classicalacademicpress.com/product/well-ordered-language-level-1a-teachers-edition/. Any unnecessary repetition and/or overlaps I will weed out. Just having different books available holds and stimulates DD interest though. For writing I will continue using IEW materials, try some WWE (NOT a good fit for my son so I'll see how thus goes) and introduce CAP Fable. If it takes more than a year for things I won't sweat it.

Try homeschoolclassifieds.com for used (cheaper) copies of all the MCT curriculum; postage typically is included and the books come from the USA. You could also try Ebay and Amazon. I always run everything by Bookfinder.com in case I miss a vendor.

At the moment we do a BW free writing session once a week and WWE the rest of the days.

I kinda want to do MCT too, but it's rather an investment to pay international postage to have a squizz at something.

If you come by my way you're welcome for a coffee and a gander!

• Like 1

I really like all of it.  Well...we've never tried MCT and while I do have BW, we never actually done it.   But I so so like what I read about it.  So far we have only done WWE and it's nice and easy and working OK. 

What should I do??  Tell me what to do!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.  We are finishing up WWE2.  We are working through AAS2.  That is all that has been done for LA so far.   We tried FLL, but couldn't deal with the repetitiveness

Yeah, so I'm not crazy.  We seem to be on a similar path. :) 

We (ds 7 1/2) do/will do a lot of different LA curricula as well.

We school year round, but it looks similar to this.

We are doing JID once a month.  I will do 2 - 3 projects from PW starting in the fall.  About 3 arrows a year.  Freewrite whenever I remember.  MCT 4x a week (Although we haven't touched it since the pool opened.  :D).  WWE once a week.  I want to do CAP Fables soon.  There's a convention at the end of the month, and I'm going to take a look at it.  AAS 4x a week.  Cursive 2x a week.  Will start teaching the classics once every 2 months starting in the fall.  Not in a big hurry for this. 

I am using WWE loosely.  We don't do the copywork and dictation, just the narration exercises.  I'm going to have him do copywork from Sotw and dictation from AAS is fine with me at this age. 

Then of course there's memorization of poems.   

I think that's it.  LOL 

It works because BW is a lifestyle, not something we have to do every day.  I hope this helps and is encouraging. 

We are doing JID once a month.  I will do 2 - 3 projects from PW starting in the fall.  About 3 arrows a year.  Freewrite whenever I remember.  MCT 4x a week (Although we haven't touched it since the pool opened.  :D).  WWE once a week.  I want to do CAP Fables soon.  There's a convention at the end of the month, and I'm going to take a look at it.  AAS 4x a week.  Cursive 2x a week.  Will start teaching the classics once every 2 months starting in the fall.  Not in a big hurry for this. 

I am using WWE loosely.  We don't do the copywork and dictation, just the narration exercises.  I'm going to have him do copywork from Sotw and dictation from AAS is fine with me at this age. 

I think that's it.  LOL 

It works because BW is a lifestyle, not something we have to do every day.  I hope this helps and is encouraging. 

We school year round too and we might "seem" like we are on a similar path - but I told you before - you guys get sooooo much more done!!!  I want to be you when I grow up :)

What is your plan for starting to teach classics?  And would you mind telling me again (I can't find the previous post) what you guys doing from MCT.  Thanks!!

• Like 1

It works because BW is a lifestyle, not something we have to do every day. I hope this helps and is encouraging.

This. I often describe my schooling as "rigorous academics with a Brave Writer attitude". I will push my daughter as far as her personal limits allow, but when we need a break, there's a break. When there's something that will just need time, we take time. When there's a gorgeous day, we enjoy the gorgeous day.

This attitude and mission allowed my daughter to sail through MCT Island in less time than ascribed despite being young. This attitude doesn't care at all if Town takes 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, or never gets finished. We will take from it what we want.

This attitude says my daughter can verbalized amazingly intricate stories and write very simplistic ones, and that's ok.

This attitude says when she wants to move forward, we move forward. And when she doesn't care, and it's not impeding other things she wants, we stay still.

I have the luxury of buying at least a good portion of what I want, and then synthesizing it. It works for us much better than any one program ever would.

• Like 2

LOL  Well, we will see if I'm still sane in a year.  :) 

Regarding TTC, I ordered the K-2 level.  I'm trying to work this with all 3 children.  I have to watch the DVD.  But so far this is what I'm thinking.  The first book is titled "Harriett, You Drive Me Wild".  It's pretty simple.  I plan on using the dry erase board on my wall along with using Ziggy the Zebra from AAR.  My younger 2 loves Ziggy.  I'm hoping to make it lively and fun.  For me, the main point for the next couple of years is not if they can answer the questions correctly.  It is to show them how I got the answer and how much fun dissecting a book can be.  I'll probably pose the question to Ziggy and have Ziggy answer.  :)  My older 2 liked FIAR, so I'm guessing they won't be opposed to this.  I also have to be careful because my oldest child can be competitive.  Then perhaps after 2 years have them teach me starting with "Harriett, You Drive Me Wild".  :)  Who knows still a work in progress.  :) 

With regard to MCT, we are almost done with Island.  I believe there are 5 books (Building Language, Sentence Island, Practice Island, Grammar Island and Music of the Hemisphere).  (We will not be moving forward with the writing section).  We have Practice Island (2/3 left) and Music of the Hemisphere left to do.  Now that I think about it, I may not have much to do from MCT because I'm not in a hurry with this program either.  A lot depends on finances and what CAP is like.  Now I'm wondering if I need to do Town level before CAP Fables?  Well, I will look at CAP at the convention and find out.  :) 

I'm glad you asked because it got me thinking about these.  I just thought of Ziggy, so thanks!  :)  It helps to "talk" this out sometimes.  kwim? 

This. I often describe my schooling as "rigorous academics with a Brave Writer attitude". I will push my daughter as far as her personal limits allow, but when we need a break, there's a break. When there's something that will just need time, we take time. When there's a gorgeous day, we enjoy the gorgeous day.

This attitude and mission allowed my daughter to sail through MCT Island in less time than ascribed despite being young. This attitude doesn't care at all if Town takes 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, or never gets finished. We will take from it what we want.

This attitude says my daughter can verbalized amazingly intricate stories and write very simplistic ones, and that's ok.

This attitude says when she wants to move forward, we move forward. And when she doesn't care, and it's not impeding other things she wants, we stay still.

I have the luxury of buying at least a good portion of what I want, and then synthesizing it. It works for us much better than any one program ever would.

Yes, I'm trying to maintain this attitude as well.  That's why we are unschool-ish.  :) 

We school year round too and we might "seem" like we are on a similar path - but I told you before - you guys get sooooo much more done!!!  I want to be you when I grow up :)

What is your plan for starting to teach classics?  And would you mind telling me again (I can't find the previous post) what you guys doing from MCT.  Thanks!!

FWIW, math and science took a back burner this past year.  Not really happy about that.  But what can one do with so many wonderful options out there.  :)

ETA:  Well I guess we just did nature science and nothing wrong with that.  :) 

To me, BW is the "big picture" of what a literary home looks like.  I have many BW products, but I don't actually use them all that much.  But I always go back to Julie Bogart for inspiration when trying to build a LOVE for literature and writing... and not for the how-to.  

After that, just plug in any writing programs you with, any lit programs you wish... but teach them through the BW lens.  

• Like 1

I think that's it.  LOL 

We will be doing something sort of similar. 

For DS 9 We will do Caesar's English I & II in the fall, and then Level 4 (Literature level) in the spring. We do lots of BW lifestyle stuff, (I love The Writer's Jungle!) and probably a BW online class.  MCT is more grammar, BW is more writing.  MCT does have writing exercises but we never did them in Island and Town. I might mix in some Boomerang stuff but I'm not entirely sure yet.  Trying to keep it relaxed here.

DD & DS 6 will be doing Jot it Down.  I'll probably start Island with them next year.

If your kids are as young as your signature says, I'd take a break on WWE after you finish 2 and do BW for a while.

MCT would be easy to add.  We did it in a cuddle on the couch kind of way, with me reading aloud.  We did the practice book on the couch too, with me writing.  We never did any of the writing assignments in MCT, but the grammar was great.

• Like 1

We bought the ibook versions. Admittedly we haven't really done much with it, but it saves on postage ...

Then doesn't get read...

I love being able to buy student pages as ebooks. I wish I'd realised there was an ebook of WWE (duh, why didn't I check?) but ebook doesn't really work for snuggle on the couch reading.

Desertflower - did you guys do anything for social studies? What are you doing next year? I am having heck of a time finding something...

At this point in time my oldest is listening to sotw 2. I want to finish american history with my ker and then start with sotw 1 with her. Having 2 different history rotation is probably not going to work. I'm still thinking about it.

Some people believe that teaching boys and girls separately would be better for them. There's this free audio from circe institute titled boys rather be playing with forts or something like that. And it talks about how different boys and girls are. Still looking and pondering about this.

If you have done MCT and have multiple children - what exactly did you purchase?

I've only done MCT with 1 child so far.  I bought all the teacher's manual except for the Practice Island.  I bought the student manual for that one.  I asked a question similar to this before.  Here's the link.  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/561920-mct-la/  

At this point in time my oldest is listening to sotw 2. I want to finish american history with my ker and then start with sotw 1 with her. Having 2 different history rotation is probably not going to work. I'm still thinking about it.

Some people believe that teaching boys and girls separately would be better for them. There's this free audio from circe institute titled boys rather be playing with forts or something like that. And it talks about how different boys and girls are. Still looking and pondering about this.

If I separated my boy and girl twins, my son would be like three grade levels ahead and my daughter would be off making pom pom creatures with googly eyes all day.  It's fear of being left behind that provides any motivation for her to work industriously!  

• Like 1

I bought the basic homeschool package I think... actually I don't think they had the packages when I first bought island. I bought the teacher books for everything and a student book of grammar island (not necessary) and practice island. Everything except practice island is non consumable and I have reused with the next kid. I picked up another practice book when I ordered the next level for older kid.

• Like 1

Thanks Desertflower and everyone else.

We just finished testing this week, next week is the Bday week and then we'll start muddleing through 3rd grade.  There is about 99.99% chance I will be buying BW this week.....my fingers are just way too itchy.....

• Like 1