Menu

How hard is it to learn to breathe for freestyle..doing first tri

grantmeawish

So I'm going to do my first sprint tri in 2 months. I was thinking, "how hard can it be to swim..I can run for miles". Well, it's hard and I don't know what I'm doing and can't breathe properly. And I do know how to swim. Im not going to drown. I have never swam laps or learned technique. A neighbor teen who swims year round has offered lessons. I guess it's worth a try and hopefully she knows how to teach. Ugh, I'm a little discouraged! Anyone else learn to swim properly later in life?

Also it's an open water swim which is a whole another variable to through in there but I need to start with basics

• Like 2

I had to learn to swim for my first tri at the age of 45. I learned using the Total Immersion method. I ended up with a great stroke, great balance, and able to breath on both sides for freestyle in a pool.

But...

...open water swims are a whole 'nuther animal! Even the experienced swimmers have to deal with panic sometimes, especially at the start of the swim.

I ended up doing breast stroke or side stroke for the triathlon. I rarely used my beautiful, newly-learned freestyle stroke. When you're in the tri, you'll see all kinds of weird strokes. Some people are just trying to get the swim over. You'll see back stroke, side stroke, dog paddle, and some good freestyle. Do what works for you. 

I think it's a good idea to practice and learn from your neighbor teen. Also, do a few open water practice swims if possible, to counteract the potential panic.

You can do this!!!! It was a challenge for me to learn to swim and to complete the triathlon, but it was a blast and I loved it.

• Like 4

My father improved his freestyle for triathlons. He would try to get to the local pool at lunch for practice. It took him some time. In the first few triathlons he fell back on his sidestroke or breaststroke as necessary. They used to start everyone at once and he would let most of the athletes into the water before him to give himself some breathing room. He would catch up on the bike and run. Now many triathlons use chips and a staggered start. That does make it easier.

• Like 1

I learned to swim freestyle as an adult.  I took adult improver classes in my thirties.  The coach took my strokes apart and retaught me, based on current sports knowledge.  I can now swim freestyle without my breathing feeling panicky.  I'm still not very fast, but I'm solid.

Total Immersion is a great approach. You need to learn to roll not lift your head or twist your neck. There are a variety of side balance and rolling drills that the teen neighbor can teach you. As you get good at the drills you can incorporate them into your stroke.

I assume you are doing pool for sprint triathlon. If you do open water the big thing is spending a lot of time in water to develop comfort and practice your panic response. As in you get kicked or swallow water, what do you do? Start with rolling onto you back to collect yourself. Or switching to breast stroke until comfortable again. This shows you down briefly, but you aren't out of the race. I've seen people in the elite heat pulled from the water because something made them panic. It's too bad and a sign that the athlete is great on the bike and run and mastered just enough to get through the swim, but didn't learn to be comfortable.

• Like 1

DS does triathlons, and heartily confirms that the open water swims are a totally different beast. Definitely practice if you can, and also take into consideration water temps if that's an issue in your area. He's done some tris that have ocean swims and some kids have a hard time with how cold it is.

In the tris he's done, there has been a huge range in swimming styles and strokes used. Knowing adults who also compete, I'm thinking it isn't different for adults.

Congratulations and good luck!!! :)

• Like 1

My first thought is that it's a very bold move you're doing. Why have you never learned to swim is my second - do you have a fear of the water? This will effect your capacity to do this kind of swim race. Do you know the water conditions you'll be expected to swim in the tri (e.g., pool, river, lake, deep, shallow)? If it's deep water, then you need to be confident swimming in deep water.If it's a river or lake, then you need to be able to swim in a river or lake, and these are much different than swimming in a pool. Lakes and rivers are cold, are usually not clear, may have strong currents, and may have weeds and other gunk in them. Even the shoreline can be rocky, slippery, etc. You should find out exactly where the swim will start and finish. 

There are biathlons for running and biking, if the swimming doesn't work out. As much as learning to swim would be a wonderful achievement, swimming in triathlon race conditions are not the average swim environment. They are a completely different beast.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

My first thought is that it's a very bold move you're doing. Why have you never learned to swim is my second - do you have a fear of the water? This will effect your capacity to do this kind of swim race. Do you know the water conditions you'll be expected to swim in the tri (e.g., pool, river, lake, deep, shallow)? If it's deep water, then you need to be confident swimming in deep water.If it's a river or lake, then you need to be able to swim in a river or lake, and these are much different than swimming in a pool. Lakes and rivers are cold, are usually not clear, may have strong currents, and may have weeds and other gunk in them. Even the shoreline can be rocky, slippery, etc. You should find out exactly where the swim will start and finish.

There are biathlons for running and biking, if the swimming doesn't work out. As much as learning to swim would be a wonderful achievement, swimming in triathlon race conditions are not the average swim environment. They are a completely different beast.

I do know how to swim and have been doing laps the best I can. Learning to swim efficiently and properly including breathing technique is something I have never learned.

Edited by grantmeawish
  • Like 1

I do triathlons.  I am a very strong swimmer and swim laps several times a week.  In your shoes, knowing you will have an open water swim for the race, I would work on breaststroke.  And DO get open swim practices in.  It really helps to work on your panic before the actual race. Despite being a very strong swimmer, I cannot do freestyle in the open water.  The lakes that my races are in are COLD, deep, weedy, and sometimes quite choppy.  Even in my practice swims with no one kicking me, I can only do a few strokes of freestyle before I panic.  So, I set my sights on improving my breaststoke.  It is calming for me, I can see where I am going, and I actually have faster times because I am not getting off course or spending precious energy on panic.  Like others have said, I have seen it all.....like semi-pro athletes doing the doggy paddle.  The goal of the swim is to finish and not die.  

• Like 4

Technically, I "learned" to swim in ninth grade. At least I learned how to mostly not sink and to get around. I grew up in a time and place with little to no swimming available.

So I went back and took lessons as an adult. Five lessons made all the difference in the world. I can actually do a decent stroke now and keep breathing. 1-1 lessons as an adult meant I wasn't embarrassed (too much). I went to a local gym, but the Y offers cheap lessons too.

I had to learn to swim for my first tri at the age of 45. I learned using the Total Immersion method. I ended up with a great stroke, great balance, and able to breath on both sides for freestyle in a pool.

But...

...open water swims are a whole 'nuther animal! Even the experienced swimmers have to deal with panic sometimes, especially at the start of the swim.

I ended up doing breast stroke or side stroke for the triathlon. I rarely used my beautiful, newly-learned freestyle stroke. When you're in the tri, you'll see all kinds of weird strokes. Some people are just trying to get the swim over. You'll see back stroke, side stroke, dog paddle, and some good freestyle. Do what works for you. 

I think it's a good idea to practice and learn from your neighbor teen. Also, do a few open water practice swims if possible, to counteract the potential panic.

You can do this!!!! It was a challenge for me to learn to swim and to complete the triathlon, but it was a blast and I loved it.

I learned to swim later in life. I could swim before and not drown, but I didn't learn to really swim until after the age of 50. Swimming laps or with a masters group is one thing, open water swimming is another. I highly recommend doing a bunch of trial swims in the same type of swimming conditions you're going to encounter for the swim leg of your triathlon. A wet suit with arms free is better than a full wetsuit. My first open water swim I did all breaststroke. I didn't want to put my head in the water after I saw that I was swimming in a duck pond that is usually not open to swimmers. 

Well this was interesting to me--the pool v open water part. I have a decent freestyle in the pool, but always end up doing sidestroke in the ocean ...and maybe now I understand that subconscious reason better. :0)

Well this was interesting to me--the pool v open water part. I have a decent freestyle in the pool, but always end up doing sidestroke in the ocean ...and maybe now I understand that subconscious reason better. :0)

I have a beautiful pool crawl, but I am a breast stroker in the ocean. Now I understand why. (Not that I am triathlon material!)

I do know how to swim and have been doing laps the best I can. Learning to swim efficiently and properly including breathing technique is something I have never learned.

How are you defining "know how to swim?" Seems to me that doing laps of several different kinds of strokes, including front crawl with some kind of breathing, is a requirement for most swimming lessons beyond learning to float and glide (and I've been a swimming instructor for decades). What is your strongest, most reliable stroke? Focus on learning to do this one in the specific environment you'll be racing. Private lessons with an experienced swimming instructor (water safety) and who knows a little about triathlons would probably be a very good thing to invest in. 

Edited by wintermom

Wow ok I think my goal is to just make it through the swim. Think I will hang to the very back. This will be interesting!

Don't let us scare you away from the triathlon. :crying:  

My tri swim was rough, but it's the part I'm most proud of. I trained and learned a new skill (though admittedly I didn't use the freestyle in the tri), I pushed past my fear of open water, and I finished. The camaraderie was awesome - it was an all-women triathlon.

The kayak-race-monitors will let you hang on to the kayaks to regroup if you panic or need to rest. You're only DQ'd if the kayaks take you in the boat or tow you. The bike and run part were really, really fun after conquering the swim.

By the way, you may feel absolutely exhausted/disoriented after the swim, but you'll recover on the bike, and you'll do just fine. For your first tri, just enjoy the event and don't worry about your time. 

Really, this will be a great event for you! You'll have a blast, and you'll be a triathlete!

• Like 2

I'm a sidestroker. After years of using a nose-closing mask for scuba, I just completely lost the ability to coordinate breathing for freestyle swimming. Goofy but true.

Anyway, someone once consoled me by reminding me that marines with full packs swim sidestroke. I haven't had a marine verify that for me, but I've given up worrying about what anyone thinks of my sidestroke habit!