Menu

Need Some Help with Gov Asst.

mommybee

Ok so I am in CA and have never needed to use help like food stamps or anything like that.

I am so damn baffled by the information. How the heck am I supposed to figure out if I meet the qualifications?

My ex is screwing me royally in the money dept and it's all of a sudden so I am seriously not going to make it. I do have a lawyer but with their stupid computer calculations it just isn't enough for me to make it on and I can't get a roommate or work my second job until the money is settled or they'll use it against me.

Any help deciphering the minimun requirements.

TIA

I may not be back on right away to respond. I'm sort of having a minor melt down at the moment about all this. Just cause it will be better to be divorce doesn't mean I am prepared for how broke I am. And I can't sell the house yet. Not until we agree on it and he is being an ass at the moment. 

I had to call, I never could figure it out online. 

Sending you some virtual chocolate while you deal with all of it. 

I once needed some information and called the phone number on the bottom of the file they sent me. They answered and wondered why I called that number. I was supposed to call the 800 number at the top of the page. They seriously wanted me to hang up and dial the 800 number which would throw me into some phone system and I'd be forced to leave a message. I asked them why they published the number on the form if they didn't want anyone to use it. I didn't have to call back after I asked about their logic. 

So, yeah, more chocolate and a sense of humor should be requirements to apply. It helps though, it does. I hope you qualify and get the help that you need. 

The formula for who qualifies for food assistance is unknowable by mere mortals. You can use all the online calculators and still be completely wrong. The only way to find out is to apply. We went through it all when dd was little, and it's a red tape nightmare but worth it if you qualify.

• Like 1

The formula for who qualifies for food assistance is unknowable by mere mortals. You can use all the online calculators and still be completely wrong. The only way to find out is to apply. We went through it all when dd was little, and it's a red tape nightmare but worth it if you qualify.

Sorry but gotta disagree with you. Most screeners will catch about 90% or so of applicants that are eligible. If you have something odd or complicated, then it tends to mess up and it's worth double checking by applying. 

Now the AMOUNT of food assistance you will get - yeah that formula is hard to figure out. 

• Like 1

Our state has an online portal you have to apply through.  The tough part is that the wording often makes no sense for what they want to know and if you answer wrong it's absolutely horribly to try to fix later.  However, if you don't at least have a case with them, they won't really give you any information over the phone and just tell you to apply and then they will work you through the system.  It's pretty much sucks all around but once you get through the red tape, it can be a real life saver in the end. I hope you are able to work through the mess.  Oh and our state does have an emergency clause for getting food stamps within 3 days (instead of the normal 2-4 weeks) so perhaps your state has something that could get you help faster if you qualify.

Hugs.

I agree check out various food banks and go ahead and make an appointment and apply for assistance. Hopefully you will get something to tide you over until you can get through your divorce settled and get other things going such as the roommate and a second job. Just take it a moment at a time if you have to, remind yourself that this too, shall pass and you are moving on to a better life.

Sorry but gotta disagree with you. Most screeners will catch about 90% or so of applicants that are eligible. If you have something odd or complicated, then it tends to mess up and it's worth double checking by applying. 

Now the AMOUNT of food assistance you will get - yeah that formula is hard to figure out. 

Nah, it's pretty simple to figure out how much you will receive if you have all the necessary information.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility

The tricky part is figuring out what your state does with vehicles.  In Iowa, we are allowed two vehicles per household before they start counting them as assets.  In my opinion, I think food stamp calculation was a lot harder back when they wanted to know every single bill you owed.  Now the deduction process is simplified.  People might get a bit less, but because of the simplified manner, it's easier to get all the required information they need.  We had to provide proof of rent and proof of income.  They didn't ask for birth certificates or social security cards, just the numbers.  We don't even see someone when we get evaluated every six months (or is it a year), just a phone call.  Every state is different, though, so it's probably easiest to call in to your state agency to get information.  If your state has an online application, they will most likely direct you to fill it out.

Thanks everybody. I have some savings until I figure this out but this divorce is not going as easy as it should have.

I just can never figure out if I'm making too much money for assistance.

I need to go back and reread every thread on cheap eating.

Shannon, are you in cruising range of Silicon Valley?  I'm on the board of a hunger nonprofit here.

You can get the food you need.  

We are supposed to stick to particular zip codes for regulars but always have some extra for drop ins even if they are from out of the immediate vicinity.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

I'm sorry you're going through this.

In my state, there's just one online place where you'd apply for everything -- food stamps, free lunch, WIC, medical assistance, etc.  You just plug in the information they ask for (income, household, etc.), and they'll figure out what you qualify for.  I think they tell people that if you're not sure (because there are housing deductions and whatnot), just apply.