Menu

What are you currently reading aloud with your family?

He does not like to wait on me.

That's kind of a problem here, and with my DH's odd schedule, it's hard for us to sit down at once sometimes.

We're trying Peter Pan and will probably finish up Farmer Boy as well this summer.

I am glad someone mentioned Little Britches--that might be a great next read for us. My husband read it solo, and he loved it.

With my dd13, I'm reading aloud The Voyage of the Beagle and Homeric Moments and we're about to start listening to The Odyssey.

With dd10, we started Shakespeare Stealer before her week of camp, but didn't get very far into it. I'll have to see if she is interested enough to pick it back up.  

I'm kind of sad that we don't do bedtime reads any more - we dropped the habit this year as they were in multiple plays with night practice. I miss it, but at the same time, I do like to be able to declare myself "done" at some point in the afternoon and devote my evenings to my own reading.

• Like 1

I'm reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas with Ds13, and Bridge to Terabithia with Ds11. I didn't plan this well because it's super depressing on my end. Ds6 and I are buddy-reading Pippi Longstocking, which has always been a hit in our house. 

Dh is reading Grandpa's Great Escape with Ds11 & Ds6, and it's getting some pretty loud laughs from all three of them. 

Just this past week we read The Hundred Dresses and Sarah Whitcher's Story.  Before that we finished D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths.  We're in the middle of CHOW.  I really want to get D'Aulaire's Norse Myths, but are waiting on a trilogy from the library Youngest Templar Book 1-3:  Keeper of the Grail, Trail of Fate, Orphan of Destiny.  This past year we loved, loved, loved The Terrestria Chronicles (7 books) and Kingdom Tales from Terrestria (5 books) all by Ed Dunlop.  I highly recommend those series if you like Christian allegory.

• Like 1

We are finishing a serie of books about Pippi Longstocking and planning to start Mary Poppins. After that I have an order for more series of Astrid Lindgren: Karlson on the roof and Emil's adventures.

Edited by rushhush08
  • Like 1

We are going through several right now. Mouse and the Motorcycle, Pinocchio (unabridged), A Little Princess, Paddle to the Sea, Catherine Vos Story Bible. My girls are 7.5 and 5.5.

Edited by calihil
  • Like 1

We are finishing a serie of books about Pippi Longstocking and planning to start Mary Poppins. After that I have an order for more series of Astrid Lindgren: Karlson on the roof and Emil's adventures.

I recently found Emil's Pranks at a thrift store.  I am excited to read this series because Pippi is and was a favorite of mine.

We are reading The Hiding Place aloud together.  I am reading Keeping a Nature Journal by Clare WAlker Leslie and Charles E. Roth and showing them bits and pieces of it so we can try it together.  And I am reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families and then recapping it once a week in a family meeting and discussing it and doing its projects with the whole family. Lots of good reading this summer. :)

• Like 1

With my dd13, I'm reading aloud The Voyage of the Beagle and Homeric Moments and we're about to start listening to The Odyssey.

With dd10, we started Shakespeare Stealer before her week of camp, but didn't get very far into it. I'll have to see if she is interested enough to pick it back up.  

I'm kind of sad that we don't do bedtime reads any more - we dropped the habit this year as they were in multiple plays with night practice. I miss it, but at the same time, I do like to be able to declare myself "done" at some point in the afternoon and devote my evenings to my own reading.

When bedtime reading went by the wayside here a few years ago I just assigned myself more reading during the day.  I didn't want to lose reading aloud altogether, so we switched to reading at lunch.  Now I have a two year old again, so bedtime reading is back. :) But right now I have daddy do it.  After reading aloud with the big girls all day and to her at nap, I am pretty much done by bedtime too.

• Like 2

I'm reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas with Ds13, and Bridge to Terabithia with Ds11. I didn't plan this well because it's super depressing on my end. Ds6 and I are buddy-reading Pippi Longstocking, which has always been a hit in our house.

Dh is reading Grandpa's Great Escape with Ds11 & Ds6, and it's getting some pretty loud laughs from all three of them.

Lol about the depressing part! Sounds like something I would do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today we started Spirit Animals by Brandon Mull. 

We just finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I asked DD if she wanted to go on to the third but she knows I'm going to slow her down after 4 so she is trying to pace herself rather than a long break. We waited about 6 months between 1 and 2. I think after 4 I'll have her go back and read them herself (we're listening to Jim Dale this run-through) and then she can move to 5 when she's ready.