Menu

moral dilemma/housing situation

OK, this is a sticky situation. I'll try to give you a good picture without going into too much detail.

When my grandmother-in-law died, my in-laws kept her house in case anyone in the family needed someplace to live. Since then, a couple of various family members have lived there, and they currently rent it to a single father, who has rented it for quite a while.

Now, our home has been foreclosed upon. Right now we are staying in a spare bedroom at said in-laws' house. It is cramped and no one has any privacy, and quite frankly, I think the in-laws are missing their peace and quiet. They have been talking about kicking out their renter and having us rent the house. We resisted at first, saying that we would just wait until he moved out on his own, but we are coming to realize that that is NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. After looking for a rental house in the area, we've realized that this guy has a pretty sweet deal, because our in-laws haven't raised the rent in the past couple of years like everyone else in the area has. There is absolutely nothing else we can afford.

My question is, would you put this young man out in order to have a home for you and your family? We're really stuck on this one, because we don't feel right kicking him out, but we really don't have anywhere else to go.

I wouldn't hesitate to give him notice. Like you said, he's had a sweet deal for some time, so there's been a mutual benefit associated with his leasing the house. Nothing unethical about it, as long as removing him is per the contract.

The possibility of having to move is part of being a renter. It's unfortunate, but you need the house, too, and you're family. It's not at all uncommon to ask tenants to leave when the space is needed for a family member. Assuming they're not intending to break his lease to give you the place (i.e. assuming either he has a month to month agreement or his lease is almost up), it doesn't sound at all unethical to me.

There actually is no lease. It has been a verbal agreement only. (Small town style.) MIL said she would give him 30 days, but really, it's no big deal to us if it takes a little longer than that for him to find a place.

Sister-in-law thinks it is terrible for her parents to kick the guy out and is trying to talk them out of it. I asked her today, "But what if it were your family?" She said she would figure something else out. I'm thinking, yeah right. If it were you and your kids, you would do it in a heartbeat, even if it meant feeling bad about it.

Well, thanks for lessening my guilt load.

There actually is no lease. It has been a verbal agreement only. (Small town style.) MIL said she would give him 30 days, but really, it's no big deal to us if it takes a little longer than that for him to find a place.

Sister-in-law thinks it is terrible for her parents to kick the guy out and is trying to talk them out of it. I asked her today, "But what if it were your family?" She said she would figure something else out. I'm thinking, yeah right. If it were you and your kids, you would do it in a heartbeat, even if it meant feeling bad about it.

SIL needs a little lesson on boundaries and on what constitutes a moral issue.

Your in-laws are free in the sight of God as well as the American government to rent their property to whomever they see fit to do so. It is THEIR property, and it is THEIR personal space that is currently being compromised due to your family's being there (even though they have compromised it willingly and it is an amicable arrangement). Your in-laws can choose to delegate their property to YOU or they can choose to continue with their renter. It is NOT WRONG to do so.

It would become wrong if they broke a lease or did not give the renter adequate notice or did something blatantly illegal. Aside from that, they are under NO obligation to rent indefinitely to ANYONE--whether that be you, the current renter, SIL, or anyone else!!!

I am not sure why SIL thinks the disposal of this property is any of her business, nor do I understand why SIL thinks your in-laws have an eternal rental agreement with the renter that supercedes all other issues or obligations.

I would not discuss it with her anymore. It's none of her business, especially since she hasn't dealt with the pain of foreclosure and is NOT compromising HER space for you. Sheesh.

If he is not under contract any longer a 30 day notice should be sufficient. You are absolutely within your legal and moral ability to release this guy from your home in order for a family member (you) to take residency there. Bummer for him, but that's business--good, bad or indifferent.

Hope all goes well!

ETA: We are landlords. Having a verbal contract (typical beyond the initial year lease) is great for all--until someone opts for change. We've been on the owner's side when a tenant bails. It stinks. But, again, it's business. Nothing personal. People need to live their own lives and sometimes another person gets the proverbial boot in the process. Sounds like you're pretty easy going if it takes longer than a month. And shame on SIL for sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong. We're rooting for you!

Edited by Tracey in TX

I am not sure why SIL thinks the disposal of this property is any of her business, nor do I understand why SIL thinks your in-laws have an eternal rental agreement with the renter that supercedes all other issues or obligations.

LOL on the bolded part!!

I doubt he will be at all surprised by this. He probably knows you have lost your house and that you are living in one bedroom with the in-laws....I'd have my bags packed already if I was him. ;)

Regardless....there is nothing unethical or immoral or illegal about the situation you described.

Yes, give him 30 days. He is single, he will be able to find another place easier than if he had kids as you well know. And I would tell him the truth. A family member needs the house. Most people would see the logic of putting family first.

Tell sister in law to come live at mommy's and you would be happy to have her house to spare that poor man any inconvenience.

Yes, give him 30 days. He is single, he will be able to find another place easier than if he had kids as you well know. And I would tell him the truth. A family member needs the house. Most people would see the logic of putting family first.

Tell sister in law to come live at mommy's and you would be happy to have her house to spare that poor man any inconvenience.

Thanks for my two laughs for the day! The "eternal rental agreement" and telling SIL you'll take her house!