Menu

Anyone tried raw milk? This is part of my nutrition fetish right now. I made yogurt

We drink raw milk, and eat raw yogurt and cheese.

I researched everything I could about it, and decided I would rather be safe and pasteurize everything.

What changed my mind was seeing how the milk changed once it was pasteurized. It no longer smelled sweet. It didn't taste as good, and spoiled so much more quickly.

I decided to change myself over to raw first. I did it slowly, and did have a few days of an upset tummy as my body adjusted. The kids followed suit, and none of them suffered any ill effects. In fact, my son who had to be on soy formula, and who would never have milk in any form (including ice cream) now drinks 1/2 a gallon a day.

The only drawback is that I have to remember to tell company that the milk and cheese is raw.

Yes, I drink it and love it and so does my dd. The men of the family dont like the cream that floats on top!

I never had much problem with drinking milk anyway, but I love buying my milk direct from a farmer, since i live in a city. And I love to support the raw milk movement.

Yes, I drink it and love it !

I love buying my milk direct from a farmer, since i live in a city. And I love to support the raw milk movement.

We have for 3 years now. It is nice to know the farmer that supplies your food.

when our friend had their cow. I LOVE it. In fact, I rarely drink milk if I don't have raw because pasteurizing kills so muck of the good stuff, and don't even get me started on homogenization. One thing I love about goat milk is the natural homogenization of it. The milk does get a little cream on top, but it's naturally blended so the milk is nice and white through and through.

I really miss my goats. I just have carpal tunnel too bad to milk - and I just don't really have time anymore. I do get it from my sister a couple times a month...

OK. Talk me through this...the raw milk comes with the cream on top. How does that work? Do you skim the cream off and use it separately or do you shake it up and then pour? I really want to do this.

I notice that when I take milk (store bought) out of the fridge I always shake it up before I pour it...someone asked me why I do that...I really don't know, that is just how I have always done it..my parents do that to..I was thinking that maybe that is a hold over from having the cream on top milk.

This might be of help. http://www.realmilk.com/ The site lists farms where you can buy raw milk.

Thanks Gretchen. Anj had mentioned this site to me to me once and I checked it out - there is one about 45 minutes from here I've been meaning to try - I'm really hoping to find a group that brings the milk into town so I can get a little closer to home.

I prefer to buy raw milk products, but they are hard to come by here in Texas. We were part of a raw milk co-op for almost a year which sold only milk and cheese curds.

We didn't experience any kind of tummy problems when we switched to raw milk.

Yes, you just shake up the milk before you use it. You probably do that with your store-bought milk because your parents did, and they probably did it because *their* parents did, because *their* parents bought raw milk :-)

We drink it in the summer...here in this part of NH I haven't found a conveinent place to buy it...anyone know where i can get it around the monadnock region of NH?????

We used to get ours from Sawyers Dairy on route 124 in Jaffrey. They now have that really good ice cream place -Kimball's farm, but I think you can still get raw milk. Back then it was only $1.50 a gallon LOL, I am sure it's a lot more now.

Edited by Quiver0f10