Menu

Europe road trip advice

Amira

So after much dithering and schedule changes, it looks like we'll be in Europe in July for a couple of weeks. That's not when I'd prefer to be there, but it's better than being in Saudi Arabia in July for any longer than necessary.

Because of flight routes that are expensive and irritating to change, we'll fly in and out of Paris. We want to rent a car and just go. My favorite kind of vacation is when we don't plan out every stop and every hotel and I'm assuming that will work in Europe.

If you've done a Europe road trip like this, any advice? Can we find places to stay in July without advance reservations? We like to stay in basic, inexpensive places.

Also, I've never been to Europe, although dh has. If you had two weeks and a car, where would you go?

Edited by Amira

Amira, what kinds of things appeal to you? Do you want a mix of everything, a good bit of time at the beach, or long hikes in the mountains? Do you like to flit among different places or do you like a good stretch in one area?

We're open to anything except relaxing in one place for a while.  We'd also like to avoid crowds and hot, humid weather, although that may not be possible at that time of year. 

Also, what's your petrol budget? Do you like driving?

Personally, with an unlimited gas budget and knowing that we love long road trips and would want to see as much as we reasonably could....I would do a loop to southern France, hit northern Italy, go up through western Austria into southern Germany, and then back through France.  I love finding small towns along the way, hitting bakeries and grocery stores for scenic picnic lunches, and hitting a few big cities.

I could also just as easily just do the whole two weeks in France, knowing I've seen most of the rest of Europe and not wanting to drive as much. 

• Like 3

If you dont mind a drive, how do you feel about Denmark? One of the most cool, wide open summer experiences I had was spending time at the beach and touring along Jutland in July. You could go through Belgium and the Netherlands on your way up and Germany on your way back for different travel experiences without going too far out of your way. 

• Like 2

You'd be hitting summer vacation in July. Most European countries only have a 5 or 6-week summer break, so everyone goes on vacation at the same time. That might cause accommodation to be sold out.

I know most Dutch people go to Spanish beaches for vacation. Some Germans go to Dutch beaches (why???). I'm not sure where others like to go. But if you want to avoid crowds, and not set on a beach holiday, I would head North or to the Alps.

• Like 2

Scandinavia might be a nice road trip!  You could see some of both Denmark and Sweden.  There is a nice and easy ferry crossing from Helsingor, Denmark to Helsingborg, Sweden.  (You can take your car on the ferry.)  You could begin in Copenhagen and end up in Stockholm.

• Like 4

You'd be hitting summer vacation in July. Most European countries only have a 5 or 6-week summer break, so everyone goes on vacation at the same time. That might cause accommodation to be sold out.

I know most Dutch people go to Spanish beaches for vacation. Some Germans go to Dutch beaches (why???).

Right. It can be VERY difficult to just find a place to stay. We traveled that way when I was a kid, but it's totally different now. I highly recommend booking ahead.

Why Dutch beaches? Because they are STUNNING! Huge, white sands, terrific boardwalks, and the water is fantastic for swimming.

• Like 1

We generally stay in B and B Hotels in France (these are also in other countries) when we want something inexpensivehttp://www.hotel-bb.com/en/home.htm. The four person rooms have a queen size bed downstairs and two singles up in the loft. It works well, the dc's set up dvds upstairs. ;) The rooms are a tight fit and the bathroom is small but we generally spend about 50 euro on them. Generally thet are located slightly off the main drag but by a hypermarket so it is really easy to buy a breakfast of fresh baked goods to eat in the room. The desk clerks we have encountered are not overly bilingual so if you don't speak French have a phase book. Only staffed until 7 pm I think then you check in using a machine that looks rather like a bank fast teller. We normally have reservations so we get four person room but we know people who commonly use them without.

• Like 1

Right. It can be VERY difficult to just find a place to stay. We traveled that way when I was a kid, but it's totally different now. I highly recommend booking ahead.

Why Dutch beaches? Because they are STUNNING! Huge, white sands, terrific boardwalks, and the water is fantastic for swimming.

Dutch beaches are on the North Sea. The North Sea is cold. The water is cold. The sand is cold. The wind is cold. The rocks are cold. You wrap up in your towel, and your towel gets cold and full of cold sand. 

The dunes are nice I guess. And the tulip fields if they're in the area.

I think I've been spoiled by swimming in the Mediterranean and off the coast of Florida. And I hate being cold. I really hate being cold.

• Like 1

Dutch beaches are on the North Sea. The North Sea is cold. The water is cold. The sand is cold. The wind is cold. The rocks are cold. You wrap up in your towel, and your towel gets cold and full of cold sand.

The dunes are nice I guess. And the tulip fields if they're in the area.

I think I've been spoiled by swimming in the Mediterranean and off the coast of Florida. And I hate being cold. I really hate being cold.

Yep! :)

But I'm in Maine, and I'm from northern California, so the water in the North Sea is plenty comfortable to me--much warmer than where I live. We loved playing in it in early May--here we are lucky to swim by July. And back home not at all.

Then again, there is zero appeal in the Mediterranean or Florida beaches to me. Hot, sticky, crowded...no thanks.

Regardless, it's not inconceivable that people are drawn to northern beaches. For sure there's a different appeal.

• Like 3

You can get delicious baguettes and cheese at the truck stops in France. I don't know if they are really that much better than anything anywhere else in France, but they are so much better than anything that you would find in a similar place in the States, that I was completely blown away!

Anne

• Like 1

You can get delicious baguettes and cheese at the truck stops in France. I don't know if they are really that much better than anything anywhere else in France, but they are so much better than anything that you would find in a similar place in the States, that I was completely blown away!

Anne

I had some of the best cappuccinos I've ever had at truck stops in Jordan!

• Like 1

We're more interested in an adventure than a vacation so I don't think we'd be trying stay in places where lots of tourists will be thronging, hopefully. And if it turns out a place we crowded, we can just move on.

We are finding absolutely amazing places to stay on AirBnB. But the cheapest places do seem to go fast - we're booking for December and some cities / areas are already showing "only 10% of properties remaining" for our price range.

• Like 2

This was our road trip June 2014, as I recall it. We try not to drive more than six hours daily. We only stayed one or two nights in most places, but stayed 7 nights in Tossa de Mar and 4 nights in Barcelona. The total trip was three weeks long. There were five of us: two parents, two adult children, and one teen.

Denmark to Leiden NL

Leiden NL to Paris

Paris to Carcassonne France

Carcassonne France to Tossa De Mar Spain (stayed here a full week)

Tossa de Mar to Barcelona (four nights)

Barcelona to Uzes France (Pont du Gard and Haribo factory outlet/museum!)

Uzes to Luxembourg City

Luxembourg City to Bremen Germany

Bremen to Denmark

If there is anything useful in there, let me know. I love European trip planning :)

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

My sister who lives in the UK bought an old VW camper van to travel Europe.  It was cheaper than renting and she bought comprehensive roadside assistance insurance.  She and her teenage kids did a 5-week trip last July/August.  Her husband joined them for the last 10 days.  

They did the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy and Germany and had a brilliant time.  

They stayed at camp-sites along the way as well as motorhome stopovers which were free in many cases.

• Like 2

We love camping, but since this is in the middle of an international move, it's not really possible for us to take even the most basic camping supplies with us.

I'll have to look into the cost of renting camping equipment.

You can also look into staying in hostels.  Many are family friendly nowadays, and they can be far cheaper than tourist hotels.  But as others have said, summer months are busy and you would probably want to book most of them in advance, if possible.

• Like 2