Menu

What are the do-not-miss read alouds for the Middle Ages?

Michelle T

Guest Linda in Kiwiland

Otto of the Silver Hand by Pyle is wonderful - a pleasure to read and lots to learn.

Also The Kings Shadow by Elizabeth Alder I think. It is about a boy who becomes squire to King Harrold and goes to Battle of Hastings. Warning - he gets a pretty rough start with family dying and having his tongue cut out but it is well worth it.

These 2 are the books we have read both times through this time period of history - we have also enjoyed many of the more common recommendations.

I'm probably going to skip with one in grammar stage, but One is One by Barbara Leonie Picard is an excellent read dealing with both monastic and courtly life.

There are a number of classics I'd definitely consider, such as Ivanhoe and The Black Arrow, and books by Rosemary Sutcliff and Howard Pyle. Also look at Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame). He's a medievalist who has written some engaging historical fiction, and his Medieval Lives, though nonfiction, is also engaging.

Also look at Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame). He's a medievalist who has written some engaging historical fiction, and his Medieval Lives, though nonfiction, is also engaging.

Terry Jones has done some documentaries that we adore. In my book a 5th grade boy could handle the Barbarians and Crusades set. Barbarians would be at the very beginning of Medieval Ages studies as it also deals with the fall of Rome. Crusades, well, that's obvious. (Story of One is about the history of the number One and a bit off topic here.)

imho these are must-sees but you might want other feedback. And certainly I would recommend a parent watching _with_ the student to explain some of the more emotionally difficult issues in these - esp Crusades. - Jill

Well this is actually a recommend against a book AS A READ ALOUD.

Beorn the Proud is listed on many lists for viking studies. It is a good book and interesting but IMHO, it is not suitable for reading aloud, especially to elementary age students. The chapters are very long (20 + pages) and it doesn't have natural stopping points within chapter either. The book is not a book that is easy to read aloud either. It just doesn't flow well. I hate to not finish books but we didn't finish this one. After 7 chapters, both my children were still begging me not to read it. Usually, they beg for more when I read. My son much preferred Viking Tales from the Ambleside reading list.

On the other hand, I think it a great independent read for middle school.

These are the ones that we did when DS was in fifth grade...

Shadow Spinner (S. Fletcher) - very exciting

Beorn the Proud (M. Pollard) - ditto comments by previous poster - a hard slog

Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver (Konigsberg) - worthwhile, but not too compelling

The Door in the Wall (Marguerite de Angeli) - slow start, but worth persevering

Tibaldo and the Hole in the Calendar (Shimony) - great story

The Prince and the Pauper (Twain – Abridged) - can't remember which version we read, but a great story

Don Quixote (Oxford Illustrated Classics – abridged) - excellent!

I would agree with most of the suggestions you've already been given. I just want to add Adam of the Road. It was our very favorite book, and we learned much about the Middle Ages from that book. If I had to just read one book on the Middle Ages, Adam of the Road would be it.

• 4 months later...

Moira - Can you give some more details on "One is One"? I'm considering buying it because I can't find it on ILL. It would be a read aloud for my almost 10 ds. We're doing SOTW 2 this year, and he liked Otto of the Silver hand, Sir Gawain, Beowulf, various King Arthur and Robin Hoods (simplified),and now we're half way through Beorn the Proud, and still enthralled with it (contrary to the experiences of several posters). I plan on doing Adam of the Road, and one or two more read alouds.....

I'm probably going to skip with one in grammar stage, but One is One by Barbara Leonie Picard is an excellent read dealing with both monastic and courtly life.

There are a number of classics I'd definitely consider, such as Ivanhoe and The Black Arrow, and books by Rosemary Sutcliff and Howard Pyle. Also look at Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame). He's a medievalist who has written some engaging historical fiction, and his Medieval Lives, though nonfiction, is also engaging.

If you have netflix Terry Jones' Medieval Lives DVD is available on the play now feature. I am previewing them to use next year. The first part was great.

Moira - Can you give some more details on "One is One"? I'm considering buying it because I can't find it on ILL. It would be a read aloud for my almost 10 ds.
There are some spoilers here, but it gives you an idea of the scope of the novel:

Mid 14th century England, a young, solitary boy -- mercilessly picked on by his family -- dreams of being a knight but is summarily shipped off to a monastery instead. He hates it and escapes, becomes a squire to a father figure of a knight and eventually becomes a knight himself. He's given charge on an entirely disagreeable boy for a squire, and softens towards him just in time to work out his own family problems (symbolically in a joust) and for the squire to die of smallpox. In the end he comes almost full circle, back at the monastery he started out in.

• 1 year later...

Maybe not a classic or historically accurate, but our favorite was Catherine, Called Birdy. ;)

And we loved Seamus Heaney's telling of Beowulf.

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/products/ProductDetail.jsp?productID=BK_HIGH_000257&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

LOVED Pyle's Robin Hood! And we topped it off with some fun and watched BBC's Robin Hood.

We never got to Trumpet of Krakow. Not sure if it's good as a read aloud.

http://www.amazon.com/Trumpeter-Krakow-Eric-P-Kelly/dp/0689715714/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273627422&sr=8-1

Edited by lisabees

• 1 year later...