Menu

Mystery Science

Hello,

Anyone use mysteryscience.com?  If so, how did it go or is going? 

I was told that it may have some similar discovery elements to BFSU.  I really like the concept of BFSU, but sadly it is not getting done in my household, so I'm hoping so. 

What are your thoughts?  Was there much preparation?

This looks fun, and I'm am going to try the free trial. 

Thanks. 

It looks really neat... but I wish they had the option to pay monthly. It's risky (IMO) to spend that much on a membership to an online site (and a program that is so new). You can return books that don't work out, but it doesn't really work that way with most online memberships. I'd like the option of trying it for a few months to see if we like it before committing to buying it outright.

• Like 1

I just signed up for a free trial which gets you the first unit of each module. There also is a monthly fee option - $10.75/month.

Under FAQS "can I pay monthly," it says that there isn't an option for that currently. The 10.75 is just the breakdown of what the total charge would be monthly.

Glad to hear there's a free trial, though! What do the modules look like? I'm interested in something like this or similar that I can match up to the BFSU chapters.

Following as someone recently recommended this to me. Problem is, how do you all plan to use it? I can't quite "see" how it would fit into our day although I've checked out the lessons. Or maybe I'm just leary of science on the computer, idk. Curious to hear what is appealing to you.

• Like 1

I’m planning on using Mystery Science during our next school year (my daughters will be in 1st and 3rd grade). I have only viewed a few mysteries, so I haven’t used it for an entire school year. But, here’s what I know so far:

• There are currently 12 units available, each unit having anywhere from 3 to 6 mysteries, so there are a total of 48 mysteries available.
  • 5 additional units are listed on their website as “upcoming†and I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that they try and add new stuff every 6 weeks.
  • The units build on each other, so they recommend going in order. However, I think you could skip around with the units, depending on what you’re interested in (the mysteries in each unit need to go in order though).
  • There are age ranges recommended for each unit, but my 5 year old watched a mystery recommended for ages 7-10 and understood everything.
  • There is a free trial going on right now through June 30th.
  • The yearly membership price for homeschoolers is typically $129, but you can get it through Homeschool Buyers Co-op right now for $89 (expires 5/31). After I signed up for the free trial, the price was $99, so you may see a discounted price after you sign up for the free trial.

For each mystery:

• There is an Exploration Video, Activity/Experiment, and Extras
  • Before you start the video, a list of supplies is given so that you can have everything ready. The supplies needed seem like simple, everyday supplies (e.g. paper towel, paper plate, lunch bag, aluminum foil, string, rubber band).  
  • There are also worksheets for the Activity/Experiment provided, so you can print those before you start.
  • The Extras include End of Mystery Assessment questions, additional readings (via readworks.org), and additional activity suggestions.

We do school 4 days per week, but I don’t think we’ll do Science everyday.  So, I plan on doing 1 mystery per week, something like this:

• Day 1 - Watch exploration video and do activity/experiment
  • Day 2 - Go thru assessment (if needed), read through additional readings, and do any additional activities
  • Day 3 - I would like to do some sort of lapbooking/notebooking and checkout library books on the topic

I’m really excited about using it because it seems so much more engaging than just reading textbooks. The other part that intrigues me is how we can expand on each mystery by doing additional experiments, getting library books, and lapbooking. I’m not very good at coming up with stuff myself, so having the lessons/experiments planned out for me is so nice. That way I can concentrate on the extra stuff we might want to do. 

The only thing I'm disappointed about is, as of right now, they won’t have enough mysteries to last us another year.  Hopefully they’ll continue to add material so that we can continue using this curriculum. 

• Like 4

Following as someone recently recommended this to me. Problem is, how do you all plan to use it? I can't quite "see" how it would fit into our day although I've checked out the lessons. Or maybe I'm just leary of science on the computer, idk. Curious to hear what is appealing to you.

I'm interested to know how it compares to BFSU.  The idea appeals to me because I just play the video and there are a set of questions.  However, I don't think I'll get this right now unless someone believes that this is just like BFSU, just on video.

I started RSO chemistry back up along with other materials and happy with that. 

For $89, I'm going to get Teaching the Classics.  :)  Perhaps then I can use this line of thinking across the board.  I could be wrong though. 

I’m planning on using Mystery Science during our next school year (my daughters will be in 1st and 3rd grade). I have only viewed a few mysteries, so I haven’t used it for an entire school year. But, here’s what I know so far:

• There are currently 12 units available, each unit having anywhere from 3 to 6 mysteries, so there are a total of 48 mysteries available.
  • 5 additional units are listed on their website as “upcoming†and I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that they try and add new stuff every 6 weeks.
  • The units build on each other, so they recommend going in order. However, I think you could skip around with the units, depending on what you’re interested in (the mysteries in each unit need to go in order though).
  • There are age ranges recommended for each unit, but my 5 year old watched a mystery recommended for ages 7-10 and understood everything.
  • The yearly membership price for homeschoolers is typically $129, but you can get it through Homeschool Buyers Co-op right now for $89 (expires 5/31). After I signed up for the free trial, the price was $99, so you may see a discounted price after you sign up for the free trial.
  • There is a free trial going on right now through June 30th.

For each mystery:

• There is an Exploration Video, Activity/Experiment, and Extras
  • Before you start the video, a list of supplies is given so that you can have everything ready. The supplies needed seem like simple, everyday supplies (e.g. paper towel, paper plate, lunch bag, aluminum foil, string, rubber band).  
  • There are also worksheets for the Activity/Experiment provided, so you can print those before you start.
  • The Extras include End of Mystery Assessment questions, additional readings (via readworks.org), and additional activity suggestions.

We do school 4 days per week, but I don’t think we’ll do Science everyday.  So, I plan on doing 1 mystery per week, something like this:

• Day 1 - Watch exploration video and do activity/experiment
  • Day 2 - Go thru assessment (if needed), read through additional readings, and do any additional activities
  • Day 3 - I would like to do some sort of lapbooking/notebooking and checkout library books on the topic

I’m really excited about using it because it seems so much more engaging than just reading textbooks. The other part that intrigues me is how we can expand on each mystery by doing additional experiments, getting library books, and lapbooking. I’m not very good at coming up with stuff myself, so having the lessons/experiments planned out for me is so nice. That way I can concentrate on the extra stuff we might want to do. 

The only thing I'm disappointed about is, as of right now, they won’t have enough mysteries to last us another year.  Hopefully they’ll continue to add material so that we can continue using this curriculum. 

Ah, I stand corrected then.  The free trial isn't for 6 months.  I signed up earlier this year and knew that my trial ended in 6/30, so I assumed that the free trial was for 6 months. 

I just haven't used it, but someone recently brought it to my attention.  Hence, the thread. 

Thank you Vintage for the detailed information. 

I think, if I subscribe, that I was just going to do it in one setting (or what is it called?  One mystery at a time?).  This is for fun, so I'm not that adamant about getting things done correctly. 

I just went through an entire Mystery, and wow-I'm impressed. The video clips, enthusiastic narration, pictures and overall quality really surprised me. I LOVE how he talks to the child. I just learned a whole lot about pollination that I may have...forgotten (or never really learned?)

So I could see sitting all of my kids down to watch the very engaging lesson, and doing the experiments together. I'm not sure I would do both on the same day though-I might even have them watch it twice to really cement it. Then doing extra reading, activities on the other days as time allows. I don't know, I'm pretty darn excited about this. Of course, it saddens me that it's new and looks like it would only last a year. I would probably adore it and then have to stop, but I did email and ask their long-term plans. I've been searching for science forever and this seems fresh and engaging. I'm happy!

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that my middle child is a visual learner.  Very visual.  She can remember lots of things from tv shows and brainpop Jr. 

And as much as I love science, it's takes a lot for me to prepare what I have to say (this is why BFSU is not working out for me).  I just don't know how to express myself verbally.  She would benefit from a video greatly. 

Although, I just watched a free video from thehappyscientist.com and I loved that.  I'll have to look more into it though.  Like are there any experiments?  I love the question he asked in the end of the video. 

*sigh* I'm hopeless. 

I just went through an entire Mystery, and wow-I'm impressed. The video clips, enthusiastic narration, pictures and overall quality really surprised me. I LOVE how he talks to the child. I just learned a whole lot about pollination that I may have...forgotten (or never really learned?)

So I could see sitting all of my kids down to watch the very engaging lesson, and doing the experiments together. I'm not sure I would do both on the same day though-I might even have them watch it twice to really cement it. Then doing extra reading, activities on the other days as time allows. I don't know, I'm pretty darn excited about this. Of course, it saddens me that it's new and looks like it would only last a year. I would probably adore it and then have to stop, but I did email and ask their long-term plans. I've been searching for science forever and this seems fresh and engaging. I'm happy!

Ah, this is good to know.  I'm happy that you are happy!  Thanks for your post.  :) 

It seems that other people are signing up except for me.  lol 

Okay, I confess I haven't gone through a whole entire mystery yet.  I will tonight and I hope I'm as excited about it as you are! 

Would you mind sharing what you find out regarding their long-term plans?  I'm so excited to go through all of the mysteries, so I'm curious to know if there's a chance that enough material will be added for us to continue using this curriculum. 

Ah, this is good to know.  I'm happy that you are happy!  Thanks for your post.  :)

It seems that other people are signing up except for me.  lol 

Okay, I confess I haven't gone through a whole entire mystery yet.  I will tonight and I hope I'm as excited about it as you are! 

The first mystery my kids and I went through was "Where do clouds come from?" - it was a big hit, so just a suggestion.  :001_smile:

• Like 2

Would you mind sharing what you find out regarding their long-term plans?  I'm so excited to go through all of the mysteries, so I'm curious to know if there's a chance that enough material will be added for us to continue using this curriculum. 

I will absolutely report back. I'm sitting here all giddy because I thought it was THAT good! Science for next year-check. What a relief!

• Like 1

Yes, there are experiments.  I have not had any trouble coming up with the supplies so far (paper towels, paper plates, cup, ice water, etc.) except for grass seed.  We had to do that experiment a little late because it wasn't yet grass planting season at Home Depot.  LOL

My 9 year old loves this science program.  I admit that I have not watched much of it at all because I am busy with my other kids, but I think it is good...

I think I will have my daughter give me a presentation about what she has learned after each lesson.  That way I will keep up with her learning a bit.

• Like 2

Yeah, I just watched a lesson the other night, and decided to use it this summer while we're taking a break from Veritas. I'll be sure to update the thread after we've gone through a few lessons. My 8yo is VERY visual and we've been pretty lax on science this year so far. I'm looking forward to having a bit more focus using these lessons.

• Like 2

I just went through one entire Unit (4 mysteries) on the free trial, and it was enough for me to decide to pay for it for next year.  

Here are my thoughts on why I bought it:

• The cost works for me because I can have 3 young kids watching the video.  current price = $90/3 kids = bargain for science for our family!
  • My prep is very low.  Usually just the night before for 15 min max.
  • It gets done!  (probably because of the video aspect and the super low prep required by me.)
  • I REALLY like how it sets up a fictional, real-life scenario and sets up the kids in that story to solve a problem using scientifc ideas that have just been introduced.  (I recently learned that some research somewhere shows that kids learn better when these type of problems are set in a context.)  It's not just spewing facts onto the kid or just telling a story like Magic School bus.  It requires the kids to think.  And it promotes problem solving.
  • All the extra, optional stuff is linked from within the mystery --- so it makes it super easy .... sorta like the Right hand side of YouTube.  :P

I don't have super high expectations for elementary science, so take my advice with a grain of salt.  But I think that it did promote scientific thinking in a fun, low-prep kind of way.

• Like 6

Reporting back with the response from Mystery Science:

"We plan to add new content continuously to address all Next Generation Science Standards. Right now, we are focusing on 2-5, but will begin to add K-1 in the upcoming year. After that, we'll move on to middle school, but we don't have a set timeline for this yet. We add a new unit roughly every 6 weeks, so you and your kids will continue to see new content."

Kind of wish they'd head right to middle school as that's the direction we're heading....oh well.

• Like 4

We've been using Mystery Science for 2.5ish months through the free trial and just signed up for next year.  We've done the first 3 Units (10 Mysteries) and my kids LOVE it!  They asked to do MS on spring break.  It's easily their favorite subject right now.  My boys are 8, 6, and 4.  I've got one auditory learner, one who is very, very visual, and one who needs to do to learn.  They are all three engaged and excited through the entirety of the lessons.  One of my boys is dysgraphic, and the program has worked well even for him because there is minimal writing required.

So far Mystery Science has stuck with the production schedule they have listed.  In the time since I signed up, they've added 2 Units.  

We tried for months to do BFSU, but it just never got done in our house.  I love the idea of BFSU and still think it's a beautifully written program, if you can pull it off (which I couldn't).  A lot of the MS units line up with stuff in BFSU1.  I do think that MS would compliment BFSU nicely.  We're giving up on BFSU though; MS is enough.

How we use MS:

- We do one Mystery per week.  On one day we watch the Mystery and do the Exploration.  Later in the week we do do anywhere from one to all of the Extras (readings, outside videos to watch, other activities, etc.), except for the assessments.  We don't do the assessments.

- The night before doing a Mystery, I check the "activity prep" page and print the 1 or 3 pages (per kid) needed.  I usually have all the supplies, but I do sometimes have to run to the store for something -- so far just styrofoam cups and candy (actually, I had to buy the candy twice... because I ate it all the first time).  We somehow did have grass seed already, lol.

-  On Mystery Science day, the kids gather around a table in the living room and I use Chromecast to play the MS video on the TV.  We watch the video, discussing the questions together and following the directions given on screen.

That's it!  It's so easy.  It's so open-and go.  It's so fun.  It's so freaking awesome!

• Like 7

"We plan to add new content continuously to address all Next Generation Science Standards. Right now, we are focusing on 2-5, but will begin to add K-1 in the upcoming year. After that, we'll move on to middle school, but we don't have a set timeline for this yet. We add a new unit roughly every 6 weeks, so you and your kids will continue to see new content."

Kind of wish they'd head right to middle school as that's the direction we're heading....oh well.

Thanks for reporting back!

I completed BFSU volume 1 with all of my kids, including having them write up and illustrate the science principles we were learning. I thought it was an excellent program, but honestly I didn't see a great deal of retention. I even did review, but somehow it wasn't engaging enough, at least the way I presented it.

I don't know if Mystery Science is similar in style or complete in scope and sequence, but at least it is engaging and memorable. As long as my daughter is learning something in 3rd and 4th grade, I think that will be adequate preparation for more substantive science courses in middle school (which are BJU 6, 7, and 8 at my house).

• Like 2

You ladies have almost got me sold!  :)

I just watch mystery 1 on the cloud topic, and I thought it was very good.  I do like the fact that it has the child think about why such and such will happen.  Critical thinking in my book.  I also watched mystery 2 of the same topic and thought it was alright. 

I'm going to make an effort and utilize this free trial which expires on 6/30 and then make a decision. 

I'm going to be honest and say that I will most likely subscribe to it.  :)

Like a Meadowlark wrote science for next year - check!  :)

Thank you all for your inputs! 

I completed BFSU volume 1 with all of my kids, including having them write up and illustrate the science principles we were learning. I thought it was an excellent program, but honestly I didn't see a great deal of retention. I even did review, but somehow it wasn't engaging enough, at least the way I presented it.

I don't know if Mystery Science is similar in style or complete in scope and sequence, but at least it is engaging and memorable. As long as my daughter is learning something in 3rd and 4th grade, I think that will be adequate preparation for more substantive science courses in middle school (which are BJU 6, 7, and 8 at my house).

I agree.  I want this to be fun, engaging and memorable too. 

- The night before doing a Mystery, I check the "activity prep" page and print the 1 or 3 pages (per kid) needed.  I usually have all the supplies, but I do sometimes have to run to the store for something -- so far just styrofoam cups and candy (actually, I had to buy the candy twice... because I ate it all the first time).  We somehow did have grass seed already, lol.

haha!  Yes- we didn't have styrofoam cups or candy either.  Since it was late at night when i was prepping, I ended up making mittens out of styrofoam plates & really scrounging the back of my pantry for candy (since we don't eat those candies).  We melted candy eyeballs!  and apparently Organic gummy rabbits don't melt like regular gummies.  :D

But in the end, I think it all served to make the lesson more memorable!  "Mom didn't have styrofoam cups so we had these stapled styrofoam plates on our hands!"  *roll eyes*   ha ha!

• Like 2

I agree ... I wish they'd go to middle school next. 

Maybe if enough of us make our opinions known to them?!?  They are just going to lose customers as the kids complete the mysteries ....

• Like 5

We've been using Mystery Science for 2.5ish months through the free trial and just signed up for next year.  We've done the first 3 Units (10 Mysteries) and my kids LOVE it!  They asked to do MS on spring break.  It's easily their favorite subject right now.  My boys are 8, 6, and 4.  I've got one auditory learner, one who is very, very visual, and one who needs to do to learn.  They are all three engaged and excited through the entirety of the lessons.  One of my boys is dysgraphic, and the program has worked well even for him because there is minimal writing required.

So far Mystery Science has stuck with the production schedule they have listed.  In the time since I signed up, they've added 2 Units.  

We tried for months to do BFSU, but it just never got done in our house.  I love the idea of BFSU and still think it's a beautifully written program, if you can pull it off (which I couldn't).  A lot of the MS units line up with stuff in BFSU1.  I do think that MS would compliment BFSU nicely.  We're giving up on BFSU though; MS is enough.

How we use MS:

- We do one Mystery per week.  On one day we watch the Mystery and do the Exploration.  Later in the week we do do anywhere from one to all of the Extras (readings, outside videos to watch, other activities, etc.), except for the assessments.  We don't do the assessments.

-  On Mystery Science day, the kids gather around a table in the living room and I use Chromecast to play the MS video on the TV.  We watch the video, discussing the questions together and following the directions given on screen.

That's it!  It's so easy.  It's so open-and go.  It's so fun.  It's so freaking awesome!

:rofl:

haha!  Yes- we didn't have styrofoam cups or candy either.  Since it was late at night when i was prepping, I ended up making mittens out of styrofoam plates & really scrounging the back of my pantry for candy (since we don't eat those candies).  We melted candy eyeballs!  and apparently Organic gummy rabbits don't melt like regular gummies.   :D

But in the end, I think it all served to make the lesson more memorable!  "Mom didn't have styrofoam cups so we had these stapled styrofoam plates on our hands!"  *roll eyes*   ha ha!

What a genius!  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I just watched a lesson the other night, and decided to use it this summer while we're taking a break from Veritas. I'll be sure to update the thread after we've gone through a few lessons. My 8yo is VERY visual and we've been pretty lax on science this year so far. I'm looking forward to having a bit more focus using these lessons.

Hey, greyseal:

Do you have an update for us on Mystery Science?

For those of you who have been working through MS, would you say it was good for a 7 year old going into 2nd grade? She finished BFSU Vol. 1 but I want a year off from it before we move onto Vol. 2.

Edited by bwdiaz

For those of you who have been working through MS, would you say it was good for a 7 year old going into 2nd grade? She finished BFSU Vol. 1 but I want a year off from it before we move onto Vol. 2.

My daughter had Mystery Science as part of her public school 2nd grade classroom.  She loved it.  I heard about the the program she did (clouds) so much that I got tired of all the cloud talk, haha.  It was a favorite, definitely age appropriate.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anyone care to update almost two years later? 

We got it not long after it came out and when it was for DD age.  It is supposed to be just for fun for us.  My science loving DD found it boring although some videos were ok.  DS has used it a few times for MST3K experiences.  Honestly, I feel if you had a k-2 maybe 3 it would be ok but I wouldn't pay much for it.

They have some new videos out for younger kids, so I've signed up for the free trial for my four year old. I'll report back once we've had a chance to use it.

It's worth noting that the price seems to have gone down to $69 per year. That's $5.75 per month. That seems pretty reasonable.