Menu

s/o things you love about your house

4ofus

Something I wonder...our current house has been good for us, but it has never felt like "the house." 

I had all kinds of ideas about what our next house would be like, but the one we picked isn't exactly it. Instead, when we walked in, it just "felt" right. The house had this soothing, amazing energy. I have never felt anything like it before. So, that's the new (to us) house. 

I worried later that it was just a fluke, but I returned a couple of weeks later & stayed for 3 hours during the home inspection, & the energy was still there. It just feels right. Warts & all. 

Can anyone relate? How weird is this? Care to share a story? 

Edited by 4ofus

You mean the "wow" factor?

DH has taken me on many a housing adventure over the years. I have lived in everything from a Class B RV (150 sq. ft) to 6000 sq. ft. home that came with a housekeeper and groundskeeper. We have lived in the woods, on the ocean, on golf courses, and on nature preserves.

What makes a home feel right to me is its connection to the outdoors. Big windows, outdoor living spaces, balconies, landscaping, pools, etc. supersede everything else about the house.

Yes.

Although for us with this house it's more the physical setting I think than the house itself.

This is our (slightly) downsized/retirement house, so we were in no big hurry to move and wanted to make sure we got it right.  We looked for two years and during the time also very seriously contemplated building on land we already own.  But when we saw the exterior of this house and the neighborhood we instantly knew it was right.  It felt like home almost as soon as we turned onto the street. It's peaceful with well kept houses and lots of green space.  The exterior of the house looks very neat and homey and inviting, with a deep front porch running the length of it that makes you want to sit and relax.  I think the interior of the house would have had to have been really bad (it's not, although there are things we'll eventually change) for us not to have bought it.

Edited by Pawz4me

Every house we've bought we knew almost instantly that it was our house because it just felt right. We've loved every house we've owned although none were what I'd call perfect. They all had flaws but they all felt like home. Other houses we toured lacked that feeling even if they had all the boxes checked.

Edited by UCF612

Yes, when we moved here I only had 3 days to house hunt, my mom and I looked at some 25 places in those three days and our house was like the first or second one. There was just something about it, the exterior was not at all what I wanted, the interior is mixed, it's a flip so some things are perfect and others not so much. But I love it, I feel completely at home here.

My experience is with short term. When we bought our current house, it felt wonderful. It was the place I wanted to be for that season of my life, to finish raising my kids. It's a charming house, but I knew when we bought it, that it wasn't our forever home. We have at least one more move to do but neither of us feels we're anywhere near moving. When our house no longer feels right, I hope my DH will agree it's time to move. I don't have many requirements for our next house except it has to be a ranch with no steps.

Yes.

We live in a very high demand area and had limited options when we bought. It came down to two houses for us and while both were awesome in different ways, I knew right away this one was "the one". I could have been easily talked into the other, but this one had the right energy.

That's not to say it's a forever home--we'll want to downsize more when DS leaves for uni--but it's perfect for this season in our lives.

Something I wonder...our current house has been good for us, but it has never felt like "the house." 

I had all kinds of ideas about what our next house would be like, but the one we picked isn't exactly it. Instead, when we walked in, it just "felt" right. The house had this soothing, amazing energy. I have never felt anything like it before. So, that's the new (to us) house. 

I worried later that it was just a fluke, but I returned a couple of weeks later & stayed for 3 hours during the home inspection, & the energy was still there. It just feels right. Warts & all. 

Can anyone relate? How weird is this? Care to share a story? 

I had this feeling too. We came the first time and then again for the inspection.  When we walked in the first time, I just had this feeling like this is where I was supposed to be.  It was overwhelming and I really think God was leading us here.  I'll never forget that feeling that came over me when we walked in this home.  
  • Like 1

I didn't feel it exactly with our soon to be new house. I more felt it walking into the same model that we're buying that went under contract before we were quite ready to put an offer on it. I could see DD coming down the stairs in her wedding dress someday (no pressure and that's at least 20 years away). I think the difference was that the first one we saw was lived in whereas the one we're buying is an empty foreclosure. I can see our family life in our new house though. I can't wait to come down the back staircase to the kitchen to make coffee and have some quiet time before the kids get up. And to go right out the sliding doors from the kitchen to eat meals on the deck.

Our current house I was honestly kind of depressed moving into. We bought out of desperation to be close to DH's work in a really difficult economy. In retrospect I'm grateful. We bought at nearly the bottom of the market and we're actually making money on our sale. We ended up in a nice school (so accommodating for my kids to come in for music, etc) and church area that we're planning to come back to even when living on the other side of town.

Yes.

Although for us with this house it's more the physical setting I think than the house itself.

This is our (slightly) downsized/retirement house, so we were in no big hurry to move and wanted to make sure we got it right.  We looked for two years and during the time also very seriously contemplated building on land we already own.  But when we saw the exterior of this house and the neighborhood we instantly knew it was right.  It felt like home almost as soon as we turned onto the street. It's peaceful with well kept houses and lots of green space.  The exterior of the house looks very neat and homey and inviting, with a deep front porch running the length of it that makes you want to sit and relax.  I think the interior of the house would have had to have been really bad (it's not, although there are things we'll eventually change) for us not to have bought it.

This describes how it went down almost exactly. I knew if the inside was in decent shape, it was the house. 

It's really not a "wow" house, but it felt so right. Many of today's homes have open floor plans, large shared spaces, or just large spaces. This one is traditional & it has a few needs but I love it. Add to the love...it was under budget (yay!!). 

I don't really expect this to be our final home purchase, but I do expect to finish raising my kids here. We live in a university town, so if the kids wish to attend the local uni & stay home, we will continue to stay. Once the kids are launched, I expect we'll shop for something smaller with a master bedroom on the main level. But, who knows. Life has a way of turning out different than you plan :).

• Like 1

I had this feeling too. We came the first time and then again for the inspection.  When we walked in the first time, I just had this feeling like this is where I was supposed to be.  It was overwhelming and I really think God was leading us here.  I'll never forget that feeling that came over me when we walked in this home.  

This. We were shopping for 1 more bedroom than we got, but it felt like this house chose us. It was such a strange sensation.

I've definitely had that experience. The first apartment we rented in New York State just felt like home. The house we later bought there also just felt right and it was just perfect after we made a few modifications. None of the houses I've lived in in our current state (3 of them, 2 rentals, 1 purchased) have had that perfect feeling, but they felt fine. I've also turned down houses that "should" have been right but felt all wrong.