Menu

Just have to tell you - I made the most AMAZING granola bars today

I've been in search of the perfect granola bar for several years and have made some bars out of granola that were really good. But these are different. They're that chewy granola bar texture AND were super easy. IHere's the recipe:

2 cups rolled oats (not instant)

3/4 cup wheat germ

3/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds

1 cup crushed peanuts (although you could use any nuts)

2/3 cup sucanate (you could use brown sugar if you don't have sucanate)

1/2 cup honey

4 T butter

1/2 t salt (I use RealSalt)

1/2 cup of dried fruit (I just used raisins, but you could use whatever you wanted)

* Crush your peanuts (Ziploc bag and heavy mallet)

* Mix oats, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, and nuts on jellyroll plan. Toast in oven at 400 for ~ 10 minutes, stirring occasionally

Meanwhile:

* Spray an 11x13 pan with Pam, line it with parchment paper, or wax paper sprayed with Pam

* Mix sucanate, honey, butter, and salt in pretty large saucespan and bring to a boil. Once it boils, take it off the burner.

*When grains/seeds/nuts are done, add them to the honey mixture, add your dried fruit, and stir it all up.

*Dump it into your prepared pan and spread it out. You can put another sheet of wax paper over the top and press down on top of it with a spatula, if you'd like.

*Let it cool a bit and then cut. But don't lift them out yet. Let them cool completely.

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting this. I've wanted a good granola bar recipe. Do you think they would be okay without the nuts or any idea of something to replace them? We can't do nuts because of allergies but I'd really like to try the recipe.

Thanks!

I can't say positively since I have never made them, but I have a ds with severe nut allergies and I use ingredients like flax seed, coconut (though he has now developed a coconut allergy), etc.

I too happened onto this almost exact recipe a few monthes ago. They were a huge hit for the whole family!!!

I never have all of the exact ingredients for anything so I mix and match alot. I used peanut butter in the "sticky" part rather than peanuts. I added coconut; flaxseeds; pumkin seeds; walnuts; pecans, whatever seems to be appropriate and they turn out very good.

Remember to take off AS SOON AS It BOILS, (don't over boil) if not your will end up with a much harder; sort of like peanut brittlish....our jaws are still sore from the last batch I made.

Oh yeah and I tripled the batch easily.

E

Remember to take off AS SOON AS It BOILS, (don't over boil) if not your will end up with a much harder; sort of like peanut brittlish....our jaws are still sore from the last batch I made.

Ooooooh! That makes sense. Ours weren't quite that hard, but they were firmer than I'd like. Thanks!

Thanks for posting this. I've wanted a good granola bar recipe. Do you think they would be okay without the nuts or any idea of something to replace them? We can't do nuts because of allergies but I'd really like to try the recipe.

I would think that as long as you make the proportions of dry to "glue" using seeds and whatever else you want, that they would come out great. If you try them let me know what you think!

They are chewy, not crunchy. I definitely agree that if the "glue" goes too long, they would be too hard. You could even stop short of boiling the honey/butter mixture and then that wouldn't be a risk, but they would still be a bar. If you spread them out thinner - on a jelly roll pan - then they would be crispier, rather than chewy. So many options!

I would think that as long as you make the proportions of dry to "glue" using seeds and whatever else you want, that they would come out great. If you try them let me know what you think!

They are chewy, not crunchy. I definitely agree that if the "glue" goes too long, they would be too hard. You could even stop short of boiling the honey/butter mixture and then that wouldn't be a risk, but they would still be a bar. If you spread them out thinner - on a jelly roll pan - then they would be crispier, rather than chewy. So many options!

I made these today and they are YUMMY!:drool5: I really, really, like them (maybe a bit too much:D). Since I had to leave out the 1cup of peanuts I increased the amounts of oats, and sunflower seeds, and added pumpkin seeds, and flax seeds. I used bake dried, unsweetened mango. I loved them. My kids seemed to be fans as well. My 2yo dd was calling it candy, so I guess it gets a definite thumbs up from her.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!