Menu

How to teach a kid to use a dustpan

chilliepepper

Oh the drama! Oh the crocodile tears! I've tried to teach my boys, ages 10 and 9, how to use a dustpan off and on for several years now, and I always get the same result. They just CAAAAAANNNNN'T DOOOOOO IIIIIT! They cry. They yell. They stomp around.

What gives? They can't seem to get the broom handle braced up against their arm so that the bristles can move the dirt with enough force to get it into the dustpan, while also holding the dustpan with their other hand so that it doesn't move around.

Is there another technique? Do they just need to practice more? How does a person learn how to do this? I can't remember not knowing how, LOL!

Oh the drama! Oh the crocodile tears! I've tried to teach my boys, ages 10 and 9, how to use a dustpan off and on for several years now, and I always get the same result. They just CAAAAAANNNNN'T DOOOOOO IIIIIT! They cry. They yell. They stomp around.

What gives? They can't seem to get the broom handle braced up against their arm so that the bristles can move the dirt with enough force to get it into the dustpan, while also holding the dustpan with their other hand so that it doesn't move around.

Is there another technique? Do they just need to practice more? How does a person learn how to do this? I can't remember not knowing how, LOL!

Have you tried a whisk or hand broom instead of the long-handled broom? Also, have them practice sweeping up something other than dirt, like pom pom balls or a handful of craft sticks. Get the motion down -- two-handed, with a hand-held broom, moving larger objects -- and then increase difficulty.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 5

I use a long handled dust pan, way easier than stooping.

I've just never been able to get those to stay put as well as short handled ones, so that the edge of the dustpan is sealed against the floor. Dirt always seems to get up under the edge.

The whisk broom would help, that's true. But eventually, somehow, surely they are capable of learning to use a proper broom so that they don't need yet another tool!

• Like 1

I've just never been able to get those to stay put as well as short handled ones, so that the edge of the dustpan is sealed against the floor. Dirt always seems to get up under the edge.

The whisk broom would help, that's true. But eventually, somehow, surely they are capable of learning to use a proper broom so that they don't need yet another tool!

OK, you think of another way, other than to provide scaffolding when the jump to a skill proves harder than expected. Good luck!

• Like 2

OK, you think of another way, other than to provide scaffolding when the jump to a skill proves harder than expected. Good luck!

No, it's fine---scaffolding is great. I like your suggestion and plan to use it. Thank you. But I'm just saying---how DOES a person learn to use a long handled broom?

• Like 1

No, it's fine---scaffolding is great. I like your suggestion and plan to use it. Thank you. But I'm just saying---how DOES a person learn to use a long handled broom?

Maybe if you're using a full-size corn broom (for example), tie a colored yarn in the bristles where the child is supposed to hold it. Tie another yarn where the broom handle will hit his shoulder when he's leaning over. If he's got the motion of sweeping into a dustpan down, now it's just a matter of where to hold on to a big broom, and what to do with the long handle. So hold on "here" and the handle's on your shoulder "here."

For the other kind of broom with a plastic top, put a piece of colored tape where his hand goes.

I borrowed an idea from my children's former Montessori preschool: I used painter's tape to mark off a square and have the kids sweep everything into it, then give them a small whisk broom and dustpan to finish the job. Yes, it's another tool, but a $3 whisk broom isn't going to make or break me, and if it gets the job done (and done well!) then so be it- they can use the darn whisk until they're adults for all I care! 

• Like 3

I borrowed an idea from my children's former Montessori preschool: I used painter's tape to mark off a square and have the kids sweep everything into it, then give them a small whisk broom and dustpan to finish the job. Yes, it's another tool, but a $3 whisk broom isn't going to make or break me, and if it gets the job done (and done well!) then so be it- they can use the darn whisk until they're adults for all I care! 

What's that you say? A person can be a productive member of society without knowing how to use a long handled broom? 

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  you just blew my mind.  ;)

• Like 3

What's that you say? A person can be a productive member of society without knowing how to use a long handled broom?

My hubby rather vacuum because he would have to rinse or wet wipe the dirty broom if he uses a broom. My kids would wipe with a damp rag. My in-laws and parents prefer using a mop.

Hubby used a dollar store broom and dustpan set for our patio and gave up.

My hubby rather vacuum because he would have to rinse or wet wipe the dirty broom if he uses a broom. My kids would wipe with a damp rag. My in-laws and parents prefer using a mop.

I don't try to keep my broom clean, I use it and put it away.

• Like 4

Yeah, I get it that there is more than one way to get the job done. It's just that I want them to learn how to use a broom, darn it!  :laugh: I mean, somehow I learned to do it, so I know that it is indeed possible to learn.

(and, the main level of our house has no storage for a vacuum cleaner, so it has to be lugged up from downstairs)

Honestly, I've never even heard of somebody sweeping with a long-handled broom into a short-handled dustpan. We always use a brush, and only resort to a broom if the brush is missing (which it never is, because gosh, what a nuisance!) You're blowing my mind here.

• Like 1

Honestly, I've never even heard of somebody sweeping with a long-handled broom into a short-handled dustpan. We always use a brush, and only resort to a broom if the brush is missing (which it never is, because gosh, what a nuisance!) You're blowing my mind here.

I do it, but I usually bonk myself on the head with the broom several times. I vacuum if I can, but sometimes it's something I don't want in the vacuum or my kids' cute sweepy thing (glass, usually).

• Like 2

So do you get down on your knees or stoop over to sweep the whole room with the brush, or do that bit with a long handled broom and then switch to brush for dustpan time?

Edited by chilliepepper

Wait, people clean their brooms!?!? I would go on a cleaning strike if anyone ever tried to get me to clean a broom.

• Like 6

Cleaning a broom????

My mind is blown.

• Like 1

He buys those with the nylon looking bristles so it is easy to wash down under running water.

I understand how one would clean a broom I simply don't understand why anyone would even think to do it, no matter how easy. I hate sweeping with a passion and got a second vacuum so I could stop sweeping all together. Add cleaning the broom and I think I'd simply throw away my broom altogether so it wasn't even a possibility.

• Like 1

Yeah, I get it that there is more than one way to get the job done. It's just that I want them to learn how to use a broom, darn it! :laugh: I mean, somehow I learned to do it, so I know that it is indeed possible to learn.

(and, the main level of our house has no storage for a vacuum cleaner, so it has to be lugged up from downstairs)

I just tried doing it the way you described and I find it very awkward. I think I'd give them an option: they can figure out a way to use the big broom to get the dirt into the dustpan, whatever way they want, or they can use a hand brush. I can't think of any good reason why they need to learn to do it your way, it's obvious from this thread that people develop individual preferences when it comes to cleaning floors :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I get it that there is more than one way to get the job done. It's just that I want them to learn how to use a broom, darn it!  :laugh: I mean, somehow I learned to do it, so I know that it is indeed possible to learn.

Then again in a couple of years they may not have any trouble with it. It's probably a coordination thing or something.

• Like 1

By the way, my purpose in attempting to do it your way was to see if I could think of any ideas for teaching the skill. It just felt so awkward to me that I decided I'd rather let a kid figure out their own way.

Edited by maize

I do it.  I don't bend down though.  I sweep it into the pan, then move the pan away a bit, then sweep a bit more, etc.  There is always a tiny bit that I can't get up.

I tend more to vacuum though. 

• Like 1

I've rather enjoyed the thread, I think several of us have had our minds opened--really there are people out there who clean their broom after every use?!

So many different ways of doing things!

Now I want to know if I am the only one who has given up on mops and prefers to wipe the floor by hand with a damp cloth?

• Like 2

I just today mopped my kitchen floor for the first time in oh, I'm thinking over a year. We generally spot clean with a cloth. For some reason I am really averse to pulling out the mop, but after I did it today I was like "now what was so hard about that?"

(disclaimer: it's not that I think the once-a-year mopping plan is sufficient, lol! It is what it is in our house.)

• Like 1

I have a steam mop. 

I don't mop often.  I vacuum the floor regularly and spot wipe as needed with a cloth, but yeah I don't mop regularly.  The floor doesn't look dirty because of the pattern.  Which yes I know it is dirty, but I dunno pushing puddles of dirty water around doesn't strike me as super duper anyway so I don't worry about it much.

• Like 1

I just today mopped my kitchen floor for the first time in oh, I'm thinking over a year. We generally spot clean with a cloth. For some reason I am really averse to pulling out the mop, but after I did it today I was like "now what was so hard about that?"

(disclaimer: it's not that I think the once-a-year mopping plan is sufficient, lol! It is what it is in our house.)

LOL well see we aren't too different are we.... :laugh:

• Like 2

I'm well into my thirties and I still use a whisk broom and dustpan. Sweep the dirt into a dustpan with a tall broom? Pshaw! Do it as a child? I'd give the kid that can do it a medal!

Wow! Apparently I'm long overdue for a medal, along with my sisters and brother! Well...I can't totally vouch for my brother but we three girls definitely learned to wield a long broom and dustpan like champs! My sister remembers my dad telling us "you're not trying to kill snakes here." We have no idea what he meant.

• Like 2