Menu

UGH! I HATE MLM companies, and my feelings are a bit hurt

ktgrok

You look fantastic! Congratulations!

I wouldn't pay any mind to your friend, but if it's bothering you that much I would send her a message explaining exactly how her rude remark hurt you and then I would unfriend her. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have unfollowed certain skin care and pink drink selling friends because they post sales non-stop on their personal page. That's no longer a personal page. That's someone trying to skirt the fb rules and sell on their personal page. And it's annoying.

Ugh... yes. 

So set up a website with lots of tags to your local area, or put up an advertisement on a local noticeboard, or, as the PP mentioned, put it on your bumper.  There's your shopfront.  Then if I want to buy something similar, I'll find you.

My colleague sells Avon.  She was handing over a package to another colleague and said, 'I sell Avon.  Let me know if you want a catalogue.'  That's all she's said in nine months of our working together.  That's just fine: it was natural and one time only.

That's about all I do to sell Avon.  It's mostly family and friends and they may pass around a catalogue, or if someone asks who sells Avon anymore, I'll mention that I do.  For doing zero advertising and next to zero talking about it, I get decent sales.  People who like the products will look for a rep.  I dislike being schmoozed by MLM reps posing as "friends" every time I turn around, and I refuse to employ that tactic as a matter of principle.

On a related note:  My big pet peeve of late is people "inviting" people to "parties" when it's really just a sales pitch for a product line.  Amway and Pampered Chef are awful for those things.  For a tiny town, it's ridiculous the number of "parties" held. 

• Like 2

So set up a website with lots of tags to your local area, or put up an advertisement on a local noticeboard, or, as the PP mentioned, put it on your bumper.  There's your shopfront.  Then if I want to buy something similar, I'll find you.

Fb really does make it easy to not annoy people. I have a fb business page. I've posted about it on my personal wall once or twice in two years so that if anyone wants to shop they can like that page and get updates. 

Exactly. It's neither difficult nor expensive to advertise in today's connected world. And just because a restaurant is in a building doesn't mean customers will find you. There's a great little mom and pop restaurant here that is not on a main drag for most people. Like most people, I don't have business in the area or even drive past it on my way to other places. Dh and I, as well as many other now regular customers found out about it on a local facebook page. Many cities have several types of facebook pages (not run by the city) where people talk about local goings on, including discussions about business.

If your city doesn't have one you can start one. I started one for my city where people can ask for or make recommendations about local businesses, doctors, etc. The best part is if you create the page you can make the rules. If you make the rules, you can allow yourself to advertise your product as much as you want. I don't sell anything so I don't do that on my page, but I'm just pointing out that one can do it. I've allowed small business owners to advertise within reason (no more than twice a month unless they get permission to make extra posts). If someone asks about a service however, say roofing for example, a business owner can respond with their info in the comments.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 3

One of my choir friends has repeatedly tried to get me to purchase the products she sells... which I have repeatedly told her I have don't use or want to use ...in a nice way but seriously ... lady, I love you. I love singing with you and you are my sister in Christ but STOP!!!

That's about all I do to sell Avon.  It's mostly family and friends and they may pass around a catalogue, or if someone asks who sells Avon anymore, I'll mention that I do.  For doing zero advertising and next to zero talking about it, I get decent sales.  People who like the products will look for a rep.  I dislike being schmoozed by MLM reps posing as "friends" every time I turn around, and I refuse to employ that tactic as a matter of principle.

On a related note:  My big pet peeve of late is people "inviting" people to "parties" when it's really just a sales pitch for a product line.  Amway and Pampered Chef are awful for those things.  For a tiny town, it's ridiculous the number of "parties" held. 

Don't even get me started on Amway. I once had someone frame an Amway/Quickstar sales pitch as an "interview" during a time I was very much seeking work. He was so dishonest about it, anything to get me sitting in a chair across a table from him. I will never ever buy a single product from that company again.

• Like 1

+1

When I was a kid we had friends who were into Amway big time. I was never sure if those deep into it were a cult or if they were so socially inept that they couldn't see how they were behaving.  Amway and the other MLMs seem to attract a specific type of person I am better off avoiding.

Part of the difference is that MLMers like to think of themselves as business owners, when in reality Amway reps and the like are basically telemarketers in person.

Usually a combination of both.  It depends on the product, but from my experience most of them are not quite as bright as they think they are, so they easily fall for whatever their MLM/Amway masters shovel at them.

I think the OP had every right to feel insulted.

I am not involved in MLM and do not intend to be.

However, there are board members who are MLM. Even if some of us would not participate in that industry, what was written by this poster was a personal insult towards them, and as such, was unfair and unkind.

• Like 1

I think the OP had every right to feel insulted.

I am not involved in MLM and do not intend to be.

However, there are board members who are MLM. Even if some of us would not participate in that industry, what was written by this poster was a personal insult towards them, and as such, was unfair and unkind.

What I wrote isn't an insult to anyone, rather it is the simple truth about an industry which has scammed thousands of people.

• Like 4

Don't even get me started on Amway. I once had someone frame an Amway/Quickstar sales pitch as an "interview" during a time I was very much seeking work. He was so dishonest about it, anything to get me sitting in a chair across a table from him. I will never ever buy a single product from that company again.

That is so egregiously exploitative!!  I'm appalled for you!!!  What a rotten little predator he was! 

• Like 4

I think it's really nifty how your arms and face have tightened up :)

I had someone who was doing one of the electricity MLM things -- he was a friend from college and he wanted to 'meet me' but didn't want to tell me what for. I finally figured out what it was and told him I wasn't interested, and he wanted to argue with me over facebook. That really had me ticked off.

• Like 1

Normally I just ignore, or unfollow. But back before Facebook a woman asked to meet me for coffee. I was convinced she was going to ask me to be in a cult, and was actually fascinated by the whole thing. (not that I wanted to join a cult, but I was a comparative religion major and find them interesting from an academic point of view). I was SO disappointed when she just wanted to sell me Arbonne stuff!!! Or rather, wanted ME to sell Arbonne. Sigh. 

Until this incident that was my big MLM story. 

But again, I have friends that sell MLM stuff that are not jerks. Lovely, intelligent women. But they are with larger, more established companies that have been around a long time...Avon, Pampered Chef, Tupperware, etc. Things where the product speaks for itself. It's these Johnny Come Lately ones, and yes, mainly the appearance/fitness ones, that seem to have this over aggressive marketing strategy that preys on people's insecurities. 

• Like 3