Menu

UGH! I HATE MLM companies, and my feelings are a bit hurt

ktgrok

I posted my before and current photos on Facebook today, with my weight loss. I do this maybe every few months, not often. I was feeling good about how far I've come since surgery. I felt empowered. And then I got a message from a "friend"...I taught her dog obedience years ago, and she friended me. Anyway, she has started selling "It Works" and she messaged me saying, basically, "hey, I know you feel better now that you've lost weight, but I know that means you have loos skin, and I think you should buy the wraps I sell to try to tighten it up."

Maybe it's PMS, but it just seemed like a really not cool thing to do. I KNOW she sells the wraps, she's always posting about it. If I want one I'll buy one. Don't message me and basically tell me I NEED one!

Anyone got a good come back? I'm feeling petty. 

• Like 9

Ugh. I hate that crap. I unfriend people like that. Also, I unfriend people or refuse their friend request if I feel like the only reason they are on FB is to hawk their MLM crap. And boy do they get Unfriended if they invite me to a bunch of crap or add me to a group without asking first.

Just rude. And unprofessional imo. Even if I wanted it - I wouldn't buy from someone who sells like that.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 8

I hate them too - they are everywhere!!!

I always think of clever comebacks days late....not helpful.  :)   What I'd love to say in that instance?  "Wow, I was feeling pretty good about myself until you suggested I use wraps to look better....."    Harsh, but geez....

• Like 4

Oh don't let her total cluelessness get you down about your amazing accomplishments!!!!

Delete her comment. No words required. She will see that you deleted it and hopefully realize it's inappropriate. No comeback required. Don't sully your timeline with a debate, because no matter what you say - even if it's brilliant - she'll probably have a response. Just don't even turn down that road. If she persists, delete her comments, unfriend and block her.

Some folks are total rocks. Once they focus on sales, their emotional/compassionate/empathetic switches flip to off. You have come too far to let such a person slow you down now.

• Like 12

We have dropped numerous friends over MLM's. I hate them. People get so crazed over it, and these companies teach their "downstream" to act this way.

We also have people from our previous church that stopped talking to us long before we ever left because she was into some sort of home party thing and issued invites constantly - I do not appreciate all of these "come to my party and buy overpriced stuff so I can get free things" events - and though I was polite in declining, they were livid that I didn't buy something from them always showing up on Sunday trying to shove a catalog under my nose. It got so bad dh said something to the woman's dh, and then bam, they would not even acknowledge our existence after that even if we said good morning directly to them.

Block the person and move on, and CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishment! Don't let such a person get you down.

• Like 4

No witty comebacks, I'm usually more snarky. I would be hurt too. I was just talking to my mom today about a relative that is all thick into some *health* related MLM. She was telling me at Thanksgiving about how I needed to use her products to solve all my thyroid and related issues. I hesitate to post anything health related b/c I don't want to hear any crap about their miracle cures. My snarky side keeps thinking about preemptively commenting about how MLM'ers who only want to be my friend for the purpose of selling me crap can save their breath BUT I do have enough restraint to keep that to myself.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

Forgot to say, something similar happened to me, thankfully pre fb era. I deal with some prominent scarring which has been something I've struggled with both physically and emotionally over the years. A family member joined one of these MLMs and sent me an email telling me all about her miracle products, and how they could surely fix my obvious issue. I wasn't the only recipient of the email. I wanted to shout back (a whole bunch of things but mostly this), "What makes you think I'm not already aware of the problem? What makes you think I've not already investigated every possible avenue of treatment?"

My feelings were hurt. In the end I let it go with no reply. I would be dishonest if I denied there was a bit of me satisfied when her business venture crashed and burned.

The worst part of those MLMs is that once someone joins, one can never escape feeling that the main reason for a continued relationship is that one is now a potential customer. That's no way to esteem a relationship.

• Like 3

DH's aunt is totally into stuff like that. She has been completely blocked from our lives when she approached my mom at my dad's funeral luncheon and made some comment about how the stress of my dad's cancer had obviously caused my mom to gain weight and my mom should try this (whatever crap product she was currently selling). So incredibly thoughtless and rude!

I lost a friend over MLM behavior.  I was *done* (after putting up with a lot) when this person said, seriously, "The 9-11 terrorists would not have done what they did had they been using (this product.)"  This was within days of the attack....when most of us were *speechless.*  That was the last straw.

I really hate that kind of obsession with a *product.*  

Use things, love people.  Not the other way around.  

DH's aunt is totally into stuff like that. She has been completely blocked from our lives when she approached my mom at my dad's funeral luncheon and made some comment about how the stress of my dad's cancer had obviously caused my mom to gain weight and my mom should try this (whatever crap product she was currently selling). So incredibly thoughtless and rude!

:svengo:  :svengo: :svengo:  

And yet it is considered uncivilized to smack such a person on the back of the head!

And at a funeral, to the grieving widow....... :smash:

• Like 8

dh's cousin told me there's an unwritten code that those in MLM are supposed to work on contacting friends beyond just saying "buy my product". And the person who only contacts for purposes of sale should be unfriended. 

Whatever. 

Thankfully, I have only one friend who does MLM. She does post on FB, but she's never badgered me to buy. For a long time she did jewelry and I like to look at jewelry, but I never wear it, so I never bought. Now, she doing clothing. I may look at the line when she has a web based sale. The thing is she does communicate with me outside of her sales program. 

• Like 1

:grouphug:  Congrats on your weight loss. :grouphug:

Thanks!

And I should clarify this was a private message from her, so at least it wasn't embarrassing me in public. Sigh. I think I'm going to ignore it. Or tell her my husband has a fetish for loose skin. Or tell her I have amazing genetics and no loose skin at all. Or that I'm having an affair with a plastic surgeon who is going to fix me up for free. 

• Like 18

Ugh, I have a cousin that sells Advocare. Years ago my daughter was hospitalized with severe electrolyte issues and renal failure, secondary to a congenital condition she has. I got a Facebook message from my cousin, while we were in the hospital, suggesting that her Advocare product would help my daughter. Seriously? I gave it all the consideration it deserved and deleted it.

My girlfriend says I should tell her "I'm saving my loose skin to donate to burn victims." 

Not sure I have the guts :)

That's an awesome comeback.

I just wanted to say sorry that an MLM company ate your friend. :( Whatever insensitivity and cruelty is out there, we can deal with it, but when it comes from a friend, it hurts.

I think the affair with a plastic surgeon is a hilarious comeback but it could come back to bite you later... I wouldn't try it with someone who's obviously not employing 100% of her social skills at the moment.

• Like 3

That's an awesome comeback.

I just wanted to say sorry that an MLM company ate your friend. :( Whatever insensitivity and cruelty is out there, we can deal with it, but when it comes from a friend, it hurts.

I think the affair with a plastic surgeon is a hilarious comeback but it could come back to bite you later... I wouldn't try it with someone who's obviously not employing 100% of her social skills at the moment.

Ha! Okay, that made me laugh. So true. 

I think, in all honesty, I'm going to just say, "I'm actually really happy with where I'm at right now, so going to pass."

How does that sound?

• Like 8

I get cranky with the whole Plexus push. "It's all natural!" Um. Like hell it is. Not at all. I hate the MLM crap as it is, but at least keep the bs false statement out.

I have five friends selling plexus and I had to block them or unfriend them bc of it.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 2

That's so bitchy. "Hey, guess what I'm selling? Cement Tea. It's really good for people who run off at the mouth. Would you like a free sample? It works so well!"

• Like 18

If  I wanted to be petty - I'd ask if she used them regularly on herself and how many inches she's lost. . . .

I'd probably just unfriend her - unless you actually want to befriends with her.  it sounds like she just see's you as a potential customer.

• Like 1

No way!!!! No she didn't!! Sorry. Congratulations on your weight loss!!! (Insert dancing emojis). I'd be so upset! Probably as someone mentioned, I'd take advantage of April fool's and reply something like "that was a cruel April fool's comment. Can't fathom the possibility of you being serious about it. I did not find it funny." (Or something along those lines)... and I'd just defriend her. She's putting business first than people and I am not OK with that.

• Like 2

Just say no thank you and then unfirend her.

I am sure she did not mean to be rude. These companies teach them to prey on fears about how we look.

Regardless of what the company teaches, she should still put common sense and other people's feelings first. That was rude :(
  • Like 4

I hate that stuff. I have so many fb friends who started selling it and that's all they post about. Recently I had a friend message me to tell me she'd selected me for one of her challenge groups for her weight loss crap. Oh, how kind of you to select me to buy stuff from you. I've also selected you for unfriending. Have a nice day.

• Like 13

Sometimes direct selling is TOO direct. I agree with you, as a regular poster of her wrap biz on facebook, if you wanted one you know she sells them. Why reach out and make you feel like you need one. 

I don't unfriend people but I have learned to unfollow ( I would suggest doing that) so I don't have to see them in my news feed. I am not sure I would respond back to her, it might be better just to delete the pvt message from her. 

:grouphug: Btw, I love reading your journey on your blog don't let people bring you down!

I hate that stuff. I have so many fb friends who started selling it and that's all they post about. Recently I had a friend message me to tell me she'd selected me for one of her challenge groups for her weight loss crap. Oh, how kind of you to select me to buy stuff from you. I've also selected you for unfriending. Have a nice day.

Wow! I select you to be bullied by me to buy stuff you don't want in order to enrich my pocketbook while I act like I am doing you a favor.

Yah....special kind of obnoxious, and definitely worth unfriending without another thought.

• Like 2

Sometimes direct selling is TOO direct. I agree with you, as a regular poster of her wrap biz on facebook, if you wanted one you know she sells them. Why reach out and make you feel like you need one.

I don't unfriend people but I have learned to unfollow ( I would suggest doing that) so I don't have to see them in my news feed. I am not sure I would respond back to her, it might be better just to delete the pvt message from her.

:grouphug: Btw, I love reading your journey on your blog don't let people bring you down!

But if you only unfollow them, they can keep bugging you with messages. I like to have these people gone. Ime, they've lost the social awareness to understand subtlety and will keep bugging you if they can.

• Like 2

The follow up, for these people, is to post on FB that women should be proud and happy to see other women succeeding in their careers. That basically, if you aren't happy for their MLM success and eager to be targeted through social media by people whom you thought were your friends, you're unsupportive and anti-woman.

• Like 3

The follow up, for these people, is to post on FB that women should be proud and happy to see other women succeeding in their careers. That basically, if you aren't happy for their MLM success and eager to be targeted through social media by people whom you thought were your friends, you're unsupportive and anti-woman.

Yes! I've seen that, too. And if I see one more "inspirational" meme about how everyone not using beach body or fit team or whatever is scared to succeed, I'm gonna lose my mind. Being happy with my body does not mean I shun success and living my life. Ffs.

• Like 8

… I think, in all honesty, I'm going to just say, "I'm actually really happy with where I'm at right now, so going to pass."

How does that sound?

This is a fantastic response - it shows what a classy, mature  woman you are!

Congratulations on your hard work - it shows.  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: