Menu

Help! Legal advice needed.....

Liberty

My ex and I share joint legal custody of our kids.  I have physical custody of our daughter who desperately wants to attend a particular private school.  Because we have joint legal custody he must agree to her going, which he has done in a round-about manner via a signed letter which states:  "I don't agree with [daughter's name] attending [school name].  I think it will give her a narrowed and skewed world view.  But if you are willing to assume all cost related to her attending, I will not fight you on that decision." 

I am willing to take on the entire cost of the school, but am worried this letter might not be strong enough permission.  I would consult my lawyer but he is on vacation and won't be back for a couple of  weeks and the enrollment form needs to be turned in right away.

Does anyone on the board have experience in these type of matters and could offer their advice?

Thanks so much!

No legal advice, but I think it would help to take the words "I don't agree" out and replace with something more along the lines of "I don't like" would be best.  It sounds like he's trying to keep the school from coming after him if you don't pay the fees.  Maybe the school has a form or waiver that will reassure him that he is not responsible? You can also talk to admin and explain that "this" is all you have until you talk to your lawyer and get the ex to rewrite the letter. It may be enough to hold them over until you can get a better version.

• Like 1

Not to be construed as actual legal advice, but that sounds like a passive aggressive permission to me. At this point, what I would do is send a letter or email (something trackable!) confirming that he has given consent via letter dated X to enroll the daughter in X school, and therefore you are proceeding with enrollment which is due X date with X contractual monies to be paid by you. Then the ball is in his court to OBJECT to your enrollment in writing before you incur the contractual costs.

• Like 5

Laughing at the wording of his letter, which basically says that his values don't matter if someone else is footing the bill.

Anyway, email him an appropriate letter which you write. "I hereby consent for my daughter (name) to enroll in (name)." Signature.

He does not get to object on this letter. If he objects, he can talk to you about it.  Make this clear to him. 

Yes, the school can decline her if it reasonably interprets that it does not have consent.  It may well decline her. 

• Like 3

If you need to enroll her now (before you get more firm permission and legal advice from an attorney familiar with the case) what will you lose if you have to un-enroll her?

If you just lose some money that you can afford to lose, and that is a better option than waiting and not getting in, I would consider doing that.

• Like 2

In general, I don't think "will not fight" is equal to "consent" -- therefore I would seek a better letter.

I would reply something to the effect of 'I completely understand your mixed feelings, and I am going to be completely responsible for the costs. Therefore I now need a simple letter of your consent for her enrolment.'

• Like 1

Sounds to me like he agreed in that letter. However, that agreement isn't binding permanently. If he now (or later) changes his mind, that will matter.

So, if he's really on board, then, cool, write back, telling him that you do and will assume all financial responsibility for the private school. 

Your lawyer surely has someone who can/will take care of this for you while s/he is away, OR (and) his/her secretary can and will get hold of him/her to answer your issues. My mom was a lawyer, and so I knew plenty of lawyers. Trust me when I say NONE of them can ever be away from their jobs w/o back up and/or being on call. It's just part of the ethical duty. 

I'd definitely want to get the lawyer's instruction if there is any chance your ex will have a change of heart later. So, my advice is to get hold of your lawyer. Period.

Laughing at the wording of his letter, which basically says that his values don't matter if someone else is footing the bill.

Anyway, email him an appropriate letter which you write. "I hereby consent for my daughter (name) to enroll in (name)." Signature.

He does not get to object on this letter. If he objects, he can talk to you about it.  Make this clear to him. 

Yes, the school can decline her if it reasonably interprets that it does not have consent.  It may well decline her. 

Awww, well, I don't know that this is fair. 

It may be much more of, "I think it's a stupid idea (like I think lots of your ideas were, and that's probably something to do with why we are exes) . . . My reasons are x/y/z. But, I'm caving to your whim because I'm trying to be a good guy and let you have your way. That said, I don't plan to pay for your stupid idea, so it's on you."

He may be an ass, but he may also just be trying to defer to his kid's mom while setting some boundaries as to how much he has to pay for her choices. 

• Like 3

I'm going to ditto consulting your lawyer. If he is in a firm, you can call them and another attorney in the firm who does this type of work may be able to answer your question. There are a lot of variables that mean that really you need someone who can look at your actual orders who is familiar with the jurisdiction to advise you.

Awww, well, I don't know that this is fair. 

It may be much more of, "I think it's a stupid idea (like I think lots of your ideas were, and that's probably something to do with why we are exes) . . . My reasons are x/y/z. But, I'm caving to your whim because I'm trying to be a good guy and let you have your way. That said, I don't plan to pay for your stupid idea, so it's on you."

He may be an ass, but he may also just be trying to defer to his kid's mom while setting some boundaries as to how much he has to pay for her choices. 

This is an inappropriate venue to do that. 

Leave the school out of your squabbles.  Give consent if you are going to give consent.

I don't think the school will care. I unenrolled DD 11 from public school and enrolled her in a private school all by myself. I am her stepmother. No one at the school, either school, blinked an eye or asked to see any legal paperwork allowing me to do so.

• Like 3

This is an inappropriate venue to do that. 

Leave the school out of your squabbles.  Give consent if you are going to give consent.

I don't understand. Is "this . . . venue" referring to the email/message or to the WTM forums? And what does "that" refer to?

My post was suggesting a reinterpretation of the ex-husband's message to his ex-wife. I was just suggesting an alternative interpretation of the reasoning of the ex-h's reluctant assent to his ex-w's desire to place the child in a school he didn't like. 

I agree to leave the school out of squabbles. 

• Like 2

I don't understand. Is "this . . . venue" referring to the email/message or to the WTM forums? And what does "that" refer to?

My post was suggesting a reinterpretation of the ex-husband's message to his ex-wife. I was just suggesting an alternative interpretation of the reasoning of the ex-h's reluctant assent to his ex-w's desire to place the child in a school he didn't like.

I agree to leave the school out of squabbles.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. This consent letter to the school is not the place to air grievances, I meant.

• Like 2

When my dd was attending a private school, both my ex h and I had to jointly sign many documents, including all field trip permission slips, or consent for attendance or participation was not allowed. This is something to consider since it sounds like he is not cooperative with this process and decision.

When my dd was attending a private school, both my ex h and I had to jointly sign many documents, including all field trip permission slips, or consent for attendance or participation was not allowed. This is something to consider since it sounds like he is not cooperative with this process and decision.

wow, I've never heard of that! My ex lives nearly 4 hours away, there is no way he could sign everyday paperwork! Not without  a lot of hassle, scanning or faxing, etc. I've never had to deal with it, ever, at any public school. I assumed private was similar. 

Joint custody is different. Some doctors will not treat children without both parents signing for every single, bingle thing every time.

We have joint custody..pretty sure that is the norm. Legally, anyway. In reality he's here more, just because of the drive, but for years we did live closer. I've never ever had anyone ask for both parent signatures.