Menu

Learning how to read music

The air harp app is a fun way to learn note lengths. Not so much for notes, but might help a bit. My husband was really impressed with the kids until he found out he could do it too and that they were just touching the dots, lol. He is very unmusical, so was not convinced when I said they were learning a few things. They were 4 and 7 when we got it.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

Do you have a piano? My children aren't old enough yet, but I plan on using Hoffman Academy. (I think they are launching an app soon?) I think the method there is to have a child learn a song by ear and then to come behind and teach them the music theory in the song. The videos are free, then you can pay extra for supplemental material. 

If you play piano at all, just start teaching them until you find another teacher.

I like to teach the note values first.  You can do a lot with a child who only knows the note values.  Jot down 4 beat measure patterns on 3x5 cards.  Have the kids pick a card and pick an "instrument" and see how long they can keep the pattern going together.  ("Instruments" = oatmeal container, spoons, squeeky toy, whatever...)  Lather, rinse, repeat with 3 beat measure patterns.

When I start teaching notes on the staff, I stick to quarter notes for a while until they gain some confidence.  Play it, sing it.  Can you sing it before playing it?

Once they start bonafide piano lessons, keep them singing what they play.  Can you sing the melody line?  Can you sing the harmony?

I have some sight-singing books that would work for teaching note reading, but they are as dry as bones.  Look for a book of real nursery songs instead.  For older kids who are too mature for such nursery nonense, encourage them to write parodies for the lyrics to keep it fun.  Look for Kodaly inspired material b/c those will build up in skill gradually using real songs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I used a program called "Little Musician" from Brillkids.com. It is meant for children under the age of 5, but it is fun and I, for one, learned a lot of music theory.

There is also  ​Keyboard Capers: Music Theory for Children b​y Rebecca Doyle Stout which is available from Rainbow Resource. You need a keyboard, but a $100 one from a big box store will do for over 90% of the exercises. Other choices are Progressive Music Theory for Young Beginners by Peter Gelling and Voggy's ABC of Music by Martina Holtz, which uses well-known children's songs to teach music theory as well. 

There is also a series called Just the Facts which has workbooks from kindergarten until 12th grade.

• Like 1