Menu

Music Theory

DragonFaerie

My son has absolutely no interest in learning to play an instrument. Sadly, he has a sweet singing voice, and I think he would be a really good musician. I'm thinking about including music theory in our schedule next year because I think if I teach him to read music, and maybe casually point out a note or two on the piano, he might be interested enough to learn it on his own. I can read music and play the piano, but I'd like to find a workbook or some more formal method of teaching him to read music so maybe he'll take to it better. If it's part of "school," he has to do it. If it's Mom teaching him, he won't want to. Yes, I'm being a bit sneaky here. :D So, any recommendations for a good music theory curriculum for a 5th grade beginner?

We intend to use the ABRSM books and below list (in ETA) because I am thinking of using AP music theory as a possible fine arts credit for my boys.

ETA:

Theory Prep Elementary Music Theory Book 1 by Mark Sarnecki

Theory 1 Elementary Music Theory Book 2 by Mark Sarnecki

Theory 2 Elementary Music Theory Book 3 by Mark Sarnecki

Theory 3 Elementary Music Rudiments “Basic†by Mark Sarnecki

Theory 4 Elementary Music Rudiments “Int†by Mark Sarnecki

Theory 5 Elementary Music Rudiments “Adv†by Mark Sarnecki

Theory 6A and 6B Basic Harmony by Marc Sarnecki

Theory 7 Intermediate Harmony by Marc Sarnecki

Theory 8 Advanced Harmony by Marc Sarnecki

A NOTE ABOUT ABRSM: All levels correspond to ABRSM theory levels and ABRSM concepts are covered.

AP Music

Julie Johnson’s Guide to AP Music Theory + CD, by Julie Johnson

Music for Sight Singing by Robert Ottman and Nancy Rogers

For adults and teens

Beginning Theory Fundamentals of Piano Theory, Level 1 by Keith Snell and Martha Ashleigh

Intermediate Theory Fundamentals of Piano Theory, Level 5 by Keith Snell and Martha Ashleigh

Advanced Theory Fundamentals of Piano Theory, Level 9 by Keith Snell & Martha Ashleigh

Advanced Musicianship Fundamentals of Piano Theory, Level 10 by Keith Snell & Martha Ashleigh

Edited by Arcadia

The links aren't working. :-(

Elementary music theory book 1,2 and 3 by Mark Sarnecki

Elementary music rudiments basic, int, adv by Mark Sarnecki

Basic Harmony by Mark Sarnecki

Intermediate Harmony by Mark Sarnecki

Advanced Harmony by Mark Sarnecki

Fundamentals of Piano Theory Level 1, 5, 9 and 10 by Keith Snell

Julie Johnson's Guide to AP Music Theory

Elementary music theory book 1,2 and 3 by Mark Sarnecki

Elementary music rudiments basic, int, adv by Mark Sarnecki

Basic Harmony by Mark Sarnecki

Intermediate Harmony by Mark Sarnecki

Advanced Harmony by Mark Sarnecki

Fundamentals of Piano Theory Level 1, 5, 9 and 10 by Keith Snell

Julie Johnson's Guide to AP Music Theory

Thank you! I'll check these out.

The links aren't working. :-( But thanks for the suggestions. Off to google!

Oh, does anyone know anything about this program?

Below is the one I'm using with DD. She takes voice lessons and part of the time the teacher gives her a short music theory lesson. The book is probably better for an older student, but it works for us. We are quickly going through this in order to audition for a more advanced theory class at a music school.

http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Essentials-Music-Theory-Self-Study/dp/0739036351/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364580100&sr=1-2&keywords=essentials+of+music+theory+complete

An alternative is Faber's Theory books, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Faber+music+theory. These are child-friendly, more so than the above Alfred's.

Julie Johnson theory has 10 levels that you can work through until you get to her AP book. Each books (at least the first 4 levels) does review what has been already covered. If your son has no interest in learning the instrument, AP theory makes no sense. I would just teach him reading, scales, maybe intervals. I doubt you would need to go past level 2 Johnson book if that much. It's sort of like learning how to paint without actually painting.

I think a much better option would be a good music survey course and I would highly recommend "Young People's Guide to Classical Music" by Bauer. It has everything (how to read music, instruments, music history).

My son has absolutely no interest in learning to play an instrument.

Just remembered something, my boys have no interest in formal lessons but my 8 year old has started composing his own music on the piano as well as playing "made up" accompaniment when hubby plays his piano pieces. Hubby was playing toreador song from Carmen and he just came over and did the left hand part. My 8 year old sings opera decently well but have no interest in formal choral lessons.

Maybe your son might like music composition instead?

I'm hoping that by learning to read music (he is amazing with math; reading music should not be a stretch for him), he will discover an interest in playing. He likes to play around on the piano, but he doesn't want formal lessons. I want to teach him to read music and let him learn the piano as his leisure (I hope!). Composition might be a great next step, too. Thanks for the idea!

One thing I'm planning on doing is getting a workbook for myself and doing the lessons with him. I can read music and play, but I never got too far into theory. I'm hoping by learning together, it will be more fun for him and maybe more encouraging. His sister can read music, plays clarinet, and is thrilled at the idea of learning piano, too. DS mentioned today that maybe DD would teach him. If they won't argue and DS will be cooperative, that might be an idea, too, at least informally.

This is not what you were asking for at all :) but I thought i'd pass it along since it is a fun way to learn the keys: http://www.true-piano-lessons.com/piano-notes-chart.html

My kids both learned all the notes in one afternoon, and I did too after a lifetime of just counting up or back from 'C.' :glare: (We did switch part of the story to resonate a little more.) After they learned the letter names we did a few 'find the key games' and worksheets and it cemented amazingly well.

I know that's not what you're asking for, but I thought it might be a useful precursor to a theory class.

Not sure how old your son is but here are my suggestions. Music ace software and Doctor Mozart music theory workbooks. Also google the piano guys and watch their videos... They make anyone want to play an instrument. Particularly good ones are Mission Impossible and Star Wars.