Menu

Bake sale questions

Storygirl

Tomorrow DS11's class is hosting a bake sale at school to raise funds for a field trip they are taking. This is our first year enrolled in school, so I haven't participated in a bake sale before.

The teacher asked for contributions but didn't give any guidelines for how to package things up. So if I make cookies, do I just send all the cookies on one big platter, or do I need to package them individually somehow? What do you think would be expected?

You'll need to ask someone at the school. It's been awhile since I've seen a bake sale but there have been a couple different ways they've wanted items packaged. Most times they asked for individual serving-sized packages for the kids to purchase. But I've also seen sales where the whole dessert--pie, cake, 2 doz cookies, etc--was packaged as one item for the parent to purchase to take home.

• Like 1

Yes, I'd ask.

We do bake sales at church for our mission trippers.

Dd makes snickerdoodles. She packages them 5 in a baggie; she cuts off the zippy part and ties the top with ribbon.

It's all in the presentation!

And, a tip for next time--don't price anything. Let people donate. You will get far, far more $$.

This is only if kids are not buying, which they probably are if it's a school sale.

In my experience (limited), we were asked to package cookies individually in ziplock-type bags, 2-3 cookies per bag depending on size.  We were also asked to provide a list of ingredients so people could check for allergens.

But I would ask the school what they want to be sure.

When we've done them for our homeschool support group, we get the best results when we ask people to package things in portions that would sell for fifty cents, which is usually one decently sized brownie or smaller cupcake or a couple of cookies. Makes it very easy for the person running the table if everything is the same price. At any rate, I would package things.

I usually coordinate these things, and yes, packaged is preferred.

Bars/Bar Cookies are best packaged in a snack-sized ziplock baggie (sized to fit)

Cookies can be packaged in a little baggie with ribbon, a clear solo-cup with plastic wrap/ribbon (if small)

Cupcakes in a clear solo-cup with plastic wrap/ribbon.

Use the best size so the bag/baggie is "full" -- 3 little 2 1/2" cookies floating around in a sandwich sized baggie don't look pretty...and presentation is everything.  

Thanks everyone! I'll try to ask the classroom teacher who had the idea to do it. They didn't give us any instructions at all but just asked for contributions. This is a private school, and the bake sale is not an event with a person or a committee other than the teacher overseeing it. The teacher just had this idea and asked parents to help.

Tomorrow is Grandparent's Day at the school, and they just added the bake sale on as something extra at the last minute.