Menu

Does your child keep on answering his own questions?

mathnerd

My 8 year old asks me questions all the time. Mostly about his favorite topics - Black Holes, Galaxy, Historical Figures, cars and basketball. I excuse myself from questions about cars and basketball as I am not even interested enough to find the answers - I redirect them to his friends or his dad. But, on the other topics, he asks me a question and when I sincerely answer them, he just talks all over my answer with his own theory or factoid and goes on and on. It is as if my answer never really happened. And he goes tangentially off into other topics while answering his own question. My DH says that when DS asks him sports or cars related questions, that he answers himself too. The questions are usually worded as if he does not understand the concepts or would like to know more. Then, he continues to answer himself and mostly they are not always based on actual facts. He feels the pressing need to talk at length on these topics (mostly, inaccurately). I have provided him with books, documentaries and I read up on these topics to be able to answer his questions. I find this behavior strange. It has been going on for 6 months now. I am trying to understand why a curious kid brimming with questions will not stop to listen to the answers and instead hypothesize by himself after someone willingly supplies the answer.

Edited by mathnerd

My oldest, also 8, does this, sometimes I think he just doesn't know how to say "I have something interesting I would like to tell you about". He will sometimes ignore factual information in favor of his theories as well. I figure immaturity plays into it a bit as well as personality, he does not like to be wrong.

• Like 1

Yes, but he does want to know the answers. Google is my BFF.

My guess is maturity will bring about a longer attentions span in regards to learning the actual facts. For now, he's probably just sorting through his thoughts. Some people process better when they hear the words out loud--my 13 yo is still like that.

FWIW: he might like Crash Course Astronomy for his space interests. DS got a subscription to Car and Driver around that age I think, and if he isn't already watching Top Gear you'll want to introduce it to feed his car interests. :)

• Like 1

Is this perhaps part of how you teach? Many teachers, as part of good teaching, ask questions to stimulate the students' thinking and then use that as a springboard into their lesson. He may be mirroring what he's seen you or others do, albeit in a less-skillful manner. 

• Like 3

Is this perhaps part of how you teach? Many teachers, as part of good teaching, ask questions to stimulate the students' thinking and then use that as a springboard into their lesson. He may be mirroring what he's seen you or others do, albeit in a less-skillful manner. 

This is a great point. And if it isn't your style, you might try it. He might get a lot out of the banter, especially as he gets older.

• Like 1

Agreeing with others...not really asking and just wants to have an audience.

In our culture, imo, it is always okay to ask a question but not always okay to just talk.

I think you can teach him that he isn't really asking questions and that it's okay to share information without posing a question first.

• Like 2

My 10yo likes to consult me about matters regarding his snake. "It's been 6 days, is it okay to feed him?" I tell him "You're the snake expert. I trust whatever you think." (And he does know more than me.) I think sometimes he just wants validation. But I know he's already got the answer in his mind and I don't think there's any point in having a conversation about it.

• Like 1

When my son was that age, he used to make up tall tales.  They would always start with some version of, "You won't believe what happened!  You weren't here, but I was sitting in the kitchen and a giant bird flew right into the window!"  or, "You weren't here, but (some other fantastic thing)"

His stories would go on and on and on.  He could easily talk for 45 minutes straight if he had a captive audience (like, in the car).  

If he couldn't think of stories to tell, he would talk about subjects he was passionate about.

If he couldn't think of anything to talk about, he would practice making up sounds.

We finally determined that he just liked to hear himself talk.  He grew out of it, and I kinda miss it, though it was tiresome at the time.

• Like 2

My 8 year old asks me questions all the time. Mostly about his favorite topics - Black Holes, Galaxy, Historical Figures, cars and basketball. I excuse myself from questions about cars and basketball as I am not even interested enough to find the answers - I redirect them to his friends or his dad. But, on the other topics, he asks me a question and when I sincerely answer them, he just talks all over my answer with his own theory or factoid and goes on and on. It is as if my answer never really happened. And he goes tangentially off into other topics while answering his own question. My DH says that when DS asks him sports or cars related questions, that he answers himself too. The questions are usually worded as if he does not understand the concepts or would like to know more. Then, he continues to answer himself and mostly they are not always based on actual facts. He feels the pressing need to talk at length on these topics (mostly, inaccurately). I have provided him with books, documentaries and I read up on these topics to be able to answer his questions. I find this behavior strange. It has been going on for 6 months now. I am trying to understand why a curious kid brimming with questions will not stop to listen to the answers and instead hypothesize by himself after someone willingly supplies the answer.

I think this is normal. I do not associate it with ASD (HF or not) or giftedness. To me, ages 6 - 8 are nonstop question and answer and jabbering sessions.

But then, I think we have established that my family is apparently one of generic non-diagnosable weirdness so that might just be us.

My six year old is currently deep in this stage. She can talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and "but then.... and if... and you know what if... and then if... and then... but if... so what is... if it is... blah blah blah blah".

I drive an hour to ski club and if I don't let her bring a mobile electronic device she will hypothesize about everything from the relative size of celestial objects, to why my partner's car is cleaner than mine (SHUT UP), for the full hour there and the full hour back. I think she breathes through her eyeballs.

• Like 1