Menu

John McCain Suspends Campaign

asta

You know what's interesting about this section you quoted? It's alot like Gibson's interview with the follow-up question in the vein of "I"m going to ask you again...."

That's what the interviewers rarely do when they interview Sen. Obama. Have you noticed? They rarely ask a second or third Q like the ones quoted above. It's kind of striking, when the Q hasn't been answered.

I missed the Couric interview so I don't have it in context.

For the record, I agree that if an interview Q isn't answered, they should follow it up, ask it another way, whatever.

I've said before that I was unable to watch much of any tv during the primary season and over the summer, so I may have missed interviews where this occurred. I'm just speaking of the few I've seen more recently or a couple Sun. am talk shows from the spring.

It's just something I've noticed along the way. Perhaps the charm of the interviewee.....

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not according to minority leader John Beuhner in the CNN article I just read.

I think the Dems just want to make it look like they reached a bipartisan deal before McCain and Obama meet with Bush at 4p.m. Eastern.

Before he met with Sen. McCain, Beuhner said the agreement was reached and that the details were being finalized. After, not so much. So...??

Unless his first statement with the dems was a misstatement, I'm not sure what to think.

The President met around the table for 45 minutes (not counting the photo session and his statement for the press). If they hammered out a bipartisan deal in that amount of time, I'm very impressed.

ETA: Sorry, I hadn't read Mrs. Mungo's reply.

yeah,..... Palin should have answered "that's above my paygrade..."

:lol:

Perhaps.

But I think what ultimately questions that philosophers and ethicists will wrangle over for years and years to come (and contrary to his thoughtful ways, Sen. Obama is neither) are more in line for an answer of that sort than "Can you give me an example where your running mate sought tighter regulation in his twenty-six years in office" is.

But that's just me, and I didn't see Sen. Obama's answer as flip, as some others did. I saw it as honest and a way of saying, "I'm not God." It didn't even jump out at me until afterward when folks started howling about why he can't know The Answers to these life questions.

But then *I* don't know The Answers. But I know that you *do* know them, Peek, and that is what is the difference in how you and I see this response.

ETA: BTW, I didn't mean that last to be snotty. I just meant, well, Amy is SURE about these things, and I imagine she thinks it's rather odd that more of us don't see what she sees.

If the latest Palin/Couric clip is any indication, he's going to have to do some major obstructing.

That was absolutely painful to watch.

Looking at this clip certainly makes it clear why Sen. Mc Cain would be willing to adopt even desperate-looking measures to attempt to torpedo a vice-presidential debate.

The recklessness of his selection of a running mate (and the total inadequacy of that choice) is becoming ever more apparent (despite his campaign's best attempts at a near media blackout).

It scares me that Mrs Palin actually makes our current President look well-spoken and thoughtful in comparison (no easy feat).

I'm so tired of incompetent leadership, and I thought the nation-at-large was feeling the same way.

And Sen. Mc Cain's erratic moves (who "cancels" a presidential debate?) only reinforce deep questions I have about his "temperament".

Bill

Perhaps.

But I think what ultimately questions that philosophers and ethicists will wrangle over for years and years to come (and contrary to his thoughtful ways, Sen. Obama is neither) are more in line for an answer of that sort than "Can you give me an example where your running mate sought tighter regulation in his twenty-six years in office" is.

But that's just me, and I didn't see Sen. Obama's answer as flip, as some others did. I saw it as honest and a way of saying, "I'm not God." It didn't even jump out at me until afterward when folks started howling about why he can't know The Answers to these life questions.

But then *I* don't know The Answers. But I know that you *do* know them, Peek, and that is what is the difference in how you and I see this response.

ETA: BTW, I didn't mean that last to be snotty. I just meant, well, Amy is SURE about these things, and I imagine she thinks it's rather odd that more of us don't see what she sees.

I know you don't mean to be snotty :)

But the question as posed wasn't referring to philosophy or ethics, but basic science. Human Embryologists have known the answer for DECADES.

I only know the answer cuz I bothered looking it up in a few human embryology textbooks. ;)

I'm sure Obama wasn't "flip" when he answered, and Palin didn't exactly look like anymore of an idiot than Obama did --there were basic academic answers to both questions, and neither knew the answer.

At least Palin offered to look up the answer.

If you had asked Obama whether he believed in the theory of evolution, I doubt he would have relied on theology and philosophers for his answer. and if he had, the science community would have been pointing out how ridiculous that is when there is scientific evidence to support the theory. Or he might have said "that's for the scientists to answer."

but since i'm voting for neither, i guess i don't really have a horse in this race. :D

=========

I'll take a non-HFCS coke. With some caramel-drizzled fudge........

I saw it as honest and a way of saying, "I'm not God."

I did too, and it made me respect him even more. I don't agree with the guy 100% but I thought all his answers during the faith forum were very good.

so, in contrast, I'm guessing most conservatives who care would consider palin's answer an honest way of saying "I haven't remembered the details, so instead of giving you a BS answer I'll find out the facts first"- which would make some respect HER more.

it goes both ways, right? ;)

so, in contrast, I'm guessing most conservatives who care would consider palin's answer an honest way of saying "I haven't remembered the details, so instead of giving you a BS answer I'll find out the facts first"- which would make some respect HER more.

it goes both ways, right? ;)

Yeah I guess, if you think that someone not being able to answer a simple question like that is qualified to lead the country. At least Obama's answer WAS an answer, albeit one you disagree with.

Yeah I guess, if you think that someone not being able to answer a simple question like that is qualified to lead the country. At least Obama's answer WAS an answer, albeit one you disagree with.

More and more what I see in these political threads is that what it comes down to is this:

If you like Obama you are going to like his answers and agree, and not be bothered by what the Obama campaign does.

If you like McCain you are going to like his answers and agree and not be bothered by what the McCain campaign does.

And Sen. Mc Cain's erratic moves (who "cancels" a presidential debate?) only reinforce deep questions I have about his "temperament".

Bill

Conservative columnist George Will echoed concerns about McCain's temperment in an editorial this week which finishes on this note:

But the more one sees of his (McCain's) impulsive, intensely personal reactions to people and events, the less confidence one has that he would select judges by calm reflection and clear principles, having neither patience nor aptitude for either.

It is arguable that, because of his inexperience, Obama is not ready for the presidency. It is arguable that McCain, because of his boiling moralism and bottomless reservoir of certitudes, is not suited to the presidency. Unreadiness can be corrected, although perhaps at great cost, by experience. Can a dismaying temperament be fixed?

You can read the entire piece here.

Jane

More and more what I see in these political threads is that what it comes down to is this:

If you like Obama you are going to like his answers and agree, and not be bothered by what the Obama campaign does.

If you like McCain you are going to like his answers and agree and not be bothered by what the McCain campaign does.

I don't think this is true at all. I've disagreed with Obama on this very forum. Heck, even Biden disagreed with one of the ads from the Obama campaign. I've also seen some Republicans here disagree with some of what McCain does or says.

Oh how do I disagree with the man I am voting for, let me count the ways....

He does not go nearly far enough to protect the rights of gays and lesbians. He has all but caved in to political pressure on that issue.

I do not think he is an advocate for protecting the 2nd amendment.

He needs to tell me what he is going to do for health care now that we are going to spend a trillion dollars on this bailout.

There's 3 for starters.

Just because I am voting for Obama doesn't mean I can't fly my BS flag where he is concerned too.

:001_huh:

what answer?

he basically said "I don't know."

at least Palin said she was willing to go find out.

but then again .....has she? ;)

and no, even in context JW's sermons don't make me want to scream a hearty amen.

Conservative columnist George Will echoed concerns about McCain's temperment in an editorial this week which finishes on this note:

It is arguable that, because of his inexperience, Obama is not ready for the presidency. It is arguable that McCain, because of his boiling moralism and bottomless reservoir of certitudes, is not suited to the presidency. Unreadiness can be corrected, although perhaps at great cost, by experience. Can a dismaying temperament be fixed?

Jane

this is one of my problems w/ him too.

No, he said that it is not the President or Government's job to play God. Far different from "I don't know"

nobody's "playing God" by observing life anymore than they are playing God observing the evidence for the Theory of Evolution.

One just needs to look in a microscope. Heck, you don't even need to believe in a God to figure this one out. Why do you keep bringing God into it when science has already evidenced it?

It is the gvt's job to protect the life of its citizens. It's a basic human rights issue -- you don't need to play God to recognize human rights either.

Just to return for a moment to the topic, I'm sure McCain's going to show up at the debate tomorrow. He is finding the time to do interviews on three networks tonight, so it's clear his schedule is freer and congress is managing without him better than he initially thought. Which is great, because I have big plans to order pizza and watch the debate tomorrow. I think I'm going to make a cake. That's how big of a dork I am. I thought, "I should make a special cake for the debate!"

Just to return for a moment to the topic, I'm sure McCain's going to show up at the debate tomorrow. He is finding the time to do interviews on three networks tonight, so it's clear his schedule is freer and congress is managing without him better than he initially thought. Which is great, because I have big plans to order pizza and watch the debate tomorrow. I think I'm going to make a cake. That's how big of a dork I am. I thought, "I should make a special cake for the debate!"

I'll be there at 6:00 for the preparty stuff. lol

Jen

nobody's "playing God" by observing life anymore than they are playing God observing the evidence for the Theory of Evolution.

One just needs to look in a microscope. Heck, you don't even need to believe in a God to figure this one out. Why do you keep bringing God into it when science has already evidenced it?

It is the gvt's job to protect the life of its citizens. It's a basic human rights issue -- you don't need to play God to recognize human rights either.

But I think that Obama was answering the question from the perspective of LIFE as in CONSCIOUSNESS not just what cells are alive and not. That's how most people I know would take the question. Most people who have passed 6th grade bio know that human cells are alive, that's a no brainer. Why would anyone even ask that question of a Harvard graduate?

Bugs are alive too but people squash them every day. In my house we make every effort to capture them and put them outside without harming them.

I understand you are passionate about this issue, just as I am passionate about preserving my daughter's right to have a group of living cells removed from her body if someone has raped and impregnated her and my right to terminate a pregnancy that could cause risks to my heath if I accidentally become pregnant. I do respect your right to your beliefs and your passion, though.

I don't think this is true at all. I've disagreed with Obama on this very forum. Heck, even Biden disagreed with one of the ads from the Obama campaign. I've also seen some Republicans here disagree with some of what McCain does or says.

I still stand by what I originally said BUT I should have added *with very few exeptions* this is what most of these political threads boil down to.

No bigger dork than we are. We are making red, white, and blue cookies in the shapes of elephants and donkeys (dd is doing this) and I am planning to order pizza as well.

You should see this place on election night!

No bigger dork than we are. We are making red, white, and blue cookies in the shapes of elephants and donkeys (dd is doing this) and I am planning to order pizza as well.

You should see this place on election night!

I love the cookie idea!! I may have to use it!!

We always have election night parties!!!!! :D

By the way, are we going to have an online summit on election night here or what? :D

Jen

That would be awesome!! I'd love to have an open thread for those watching the returns!! And, I could easily be posting here because my 14yo son will be glued to the TV and giving me minute-by-minute election results. (He's my politics junkie!)

But I think that Obama was answering the question from the perspective of LIFE as in CONSCIOUSNESS not just what cells are alive and not. That's how most people I know would take the question. Most people who have passed 6th grade bio know that human cells are alive, that's a no brainer. Why would anyone even ask that question of a Harvard graduate?

the hot button issue for politicians is abortion -- you don't need to be a Harvard graduate to know that the issue in question about "when does life begin" is a question that the President is actually SUPPOSED to be ready to address: the beginning of a HUMAN life.

and as I mentioned previously, this isn't about whether cells are alive or human tissue, but a developing human. Y'all are willing to defend the right to kill a human for convenience. I'm not.

I am, however, willing to kill a human in self defense --life of the mother.

and I've already shared my view --and most of society's-- that two wrongs don't make a right. But I know people want to implement that moral selectively too ;)

That is your opinion. The other side believes differently.

Jen

I do acknowledge that most people are only pro-born-human rights, not pro-Human Rights.

and Mrs. Mungo --I wasn't the one that brought up the abortion question. Go back and read through the thread and you can see it was mentioned a few times before i jumped on it. I decided a while back to not mention it unless someone ELSE mentions it. But if it's ok for someone else to talk about the pro-life viewpoint, then i guess it should be ok for me to, right?

Or should there be a double standard in place?

But the more one sees of his (McCain's) impulsive, intensely personal reactions to people and events, the less confidence one has that he would select judges by calm reflection and clear principles, having neither patience nor aptitude for either.

You can read the entire piece here.

Jane

Thanks Jane. I think George Will is directly on point.

I'd seen the Wall Street Journal editorial referred to by Mr Will saying Sen McCain's actions were "unpresidential".

I am very alarmed by Sen McCain's impulsivity. On every level.

He seems itching for a show-down with Russia (and Vladimir Putin in particular) to the point where a "hot-war" with Russia (and perhaps Iran as well) would seem more likely than not should he be elected.

We've just had 8 years of a president thinking with his "gut", I'm desperate for a leader who actually employs the cool-headed rationality of his mind.

Bill

He seems itching for a show-down with Russia (and Vladimir Putin in particular) to the point where a "hot-war" with Russia (and perhaps Iran as well) would seem more likely than not should he be elected.

This really worries me, too!!! Sarah Palin has mentioned Putin in both of the interviews she gave (the one with Charlie Gibson and the recent one with Katie Couric) and she also seems anxious to jump on them with both barrels. We're stretched to the max already - militarily speaking - and I certainly don't think it's something we should be pursuing. And don't even get me started on Iran, North Korea, and Venezuela -- more tenacious situations there, too.

We need level heads in Washington -- not folks with short fuses and quick trigger fingers, for lack of a better phrase.

We've just had 8 years of a president thinking with his "gut", I'm desperate for a leader who actually employs the cool-headed rationality of his mind.

No kidding!

Yes I agree. And the fact Palin can see Russia from her house is not going to do us a whole lot of good if McCain is somehow incapacitated. She scares me more than he does with the "go with your gut" mentality.

Did you see Biden's speech on foreign policy yesterday? I was very impressed.

That is ABSOLUTELY not true. I find that statement both ignorant and offensive.

Again, I respect your opinion and passion, but this is just way over the top IMO.

then tell me how I'm wrong --

Abortion on demand is the killing of a human for convenience.

i do find that offensive

Are you willing to outlaw abortion -the killing of a developing human- except for the limited cases of life of the mother, rape, and incest?

Or are you defending the right for any woman to get an abortion --kill a developing human-- at any time she sees fit to do so?

I am absolutely willing to be educated and clarified on where you stand, if indeed I am ignorant and/or WRONG.

and Mrs. Mungo --I wasn't the one that brought up the abortion question. Go back and read through the thread and you can see it was mentioned a few times before i jumped on it. I decided a while back to not mention it unless someone ELSE mentions it. But if it's ok for someone else to talk about the pro-life viewpoint, then i guess it should be ok for me to, right?

Or should there be a double standard in place?

YOU brought it up when you said she should have answered with a "that's above my pay grade." The fact people pointed out the absurdity of comparing the two situations doesn't mean *they* brought it up.

YOU brought it up when you said she should have answered with a "that's above my pay grade." The fact people pointed out the absurdity of comparing the two situations doesn't mean *they* brought it up.

nope.

pro-life issues were brought up in post #149 and about two others before I jumped on it.

my comparison of the two candidates not being able to answer an academic question was after that ;)

then tell me how I'm wrong --

Abortion on demand is the killing of a human for convenience.

i do find that offensive

Right. People have abortions for the sake of convienence. I suppose they all stop at McDonald's on the way home from their abortions because that's convienent too, right? :huh:

Right. People have abortions for the sake of convienence. I suppose they all stop at McDonald's on the way home from their abortions because that's convienent too, right? :huh:

Let's not get snarky. I'm sure one of these fine ladies can pull up the real stats for you but the overwhelming majority of abortions are NOT rape, incest, mother's life, etc. They ARE mostly for convenience...as in it is not "convenient" to be pregnant right now so just get an abortion.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_bi_ge/financial_meltdown

It seems the whole bailout deal is falling apart. Maybe it is a good thing that Obama and McCain went to Washington afterall since it was not a done deal like everyone thought?

How will this affect the debate now?

Well, as I said before, given that McCain found the time to give interviews on three different networks tonight, I can't see any reason why he'll have trouble making it to the debate, too.

Incest and rape account for less than 1% of abortions...get the stats...

I want a president who will stand up for his convictions and by now he should know when life starts..every one else does...it's just whether you put the rights for convenience over the right to life...

So for those 99% of women who choose NOT to consider their responsibilities at the time of passion, I have this to say.....the risk of pregnancy is one of the reasons why I never engaged in sexual relations before I met the man I married. I also avoided risk of sexually transmitted diseases, heartache, risk of cervical cancer, and having waited until my mid-20's did not harm me physically or make me feel as though I was not being 'natural' or 'human' for turning down the offers presented through my teens and early twenties...it can be done and it should be encouraged..unfortunately, you don't see a lot of praise for those who choose a life of abstinence...they say it can't be done...baloney. I have never met anyone who waited for the right person to say they regretted it, I have heard completely the opposite from many of my buds in college who bought into that line "everybody's doing it"...and EVERYONE I've known who has had an abortion is scarred for life...my stance on abortion is out of compassion for the mother as well as the unborn child.

Tara

Wanna go for coffee?

Coffee. Yes, coffee. You, me and JudoMom.

First of all, I can't believe I came back to check this thread. What was I thinking? Second of all, I can't figure out how the coffee branch of the thread got back to politics. Weren't you people paying attention? COFFEE.

I do want to say two things, though:

1) Obviously, obviously, obviously, people get emotionally attached to "their" candidates. Most people do it. It really behooves us to give some grace there.

2) People, we really, really, REALLY need to keep a sense of humor, no matter how emotionally attached we are. As long as the jokes are not more mean-spirited and vicious than funny, I will happily laugh at anyone. It really is better to just laugh - again, as long as the humor isn't meanness masquerading as humor (er, Sandra Bernhard comes to mind). (See the thing about grace, above.)

I would say more, but my 12 year old keeps coming in here, over and over and over again, to tell me more about his computer game. My ears are going to fall off, and my brain is going to melt.

No kidding!

I am sick and tired of the "that's why I never had sex until I was married" talk. Goody. It doesn't make you better than any other woman on the planet- not even one who has a different sexual partner every day of the week. Those who say women just should not have sex unless they want to get pregnant are living in fantasy land, not reality and especially not the reality of the year 2008 IMHO. No way no how will all the laws known to man against abortion or anything else ever prevent sex.

Girls and women who are not ready to have a child nor carry a child to term should have options other than going into the back ally and getting scraped with a coat hanger. I am all for promoting the choice of life. However there are ways of doing that without taking options away from other women.

No way no how should a woman who has been impregnated by rape be forced to carry that child to term. One of my good friends was raped as a teen. She was not impregnated but that experience still effects her to this day, and she is in her 40's. No woman should have to give her body unwillingly in any way. Period.

There are also women for whom a pregnancy could impose serious heath risks. I am not about to tell my daughter she might have to go without a mother for the rest of her life just so a cluster of cells has a chance to develop into an infant with so many problems my family has to revolve around them. Especially not in the name of someone's own personal flavor of their own personal religion which is FAR from the only one out there. While I respect the right to other women to make a different choice, I expect my choices and rights to be equally respected.

So throw the tomatoes, that is where I stand. I had a miscarriage a week ago tomorrow. If I ever have another pregnancy I would seriously consider termination under advisement from my doctor. That decision would be between myself, my husband, and my doctor and NO ONE else- especially not the US government. This is not an issue I take lightly, especially after my recent experience.

Now...back to our regularly scheduled programming....

I hear that the "meeting" at the White House was quite the photo op. :glare: