Menu

Need Co-Op Ideas Middle Grades

Sooooooooooooo... long story short, I'm in a "fun/supplemental" co-op and one of the responsibilities of it being a TRUE co-op is that we have to propose a class for each level that our children are in.  

There are LOTS of moms with younger children, but the co-op is looking for more options for the older children.  Pretty much, since I have two older children next term, whatever I propose has a REALLY good chance of being picked.  

That said, I want it to be something that I would GREATLY enjoy teaching.  This term, I'm teaching fingerpainting.....

Another long story, but I'm the only option that hour, and I only signed my youngest up for it so he could do it without me having to supervise.  

God laughed.  Now I supervise him and 4 peers.  

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo... The co-op is 9 weeks long and you have an hour per period.  So it can't be something really in depth or time consuming.  Per my above statement, I'm not looking to torture myself with something super messy.  I mean, I'm responsible for keeping the room we rent in one piece!  

This term they are doing an Intro to Shakespeare and a middle school level Anatomy overview class.  

I'm considering proposing Narnia but I need another class to propose too, since I have two children in the age range assigned by the co-op.  

What have you seen done that worked?  What have you taught in a similar setting?  What would you like to see offered if you were a member of our co-op?  

Well how about something science? If they currently have Shakespeare and Anatomy, you could propose Narnia and some science topic. Maybe you could use something from Ellen McHenry - like Brain or the Cells? 

I'll look into that resource.  It doesn't have to be science, that is just what was proposed by the nurse in our co-op. :) 

In a one hour co-op setting, I've done Lego building challenges and "literature" for 9-12yos. The kids ended up preferring the literature. I prepared thematic activities for each book and then we discussed the book while the kids did the activities. For the The 39 Clues, we did code breaking. For Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, we did some basic psychological experiments, to experience what it was like being a rat in a laboratory. For The Island of the Blue Dolphins, we built small weaponry to fight the "devilfish" (I brought in a stuffed octopus). For Diary of a Wimpy Kid, I made a slice of nasty-looking cheese out of a post-it note, and we had fun giving everyone the Cheese Touch. Not everyone was able to finish the books in time for class, but they all loved the class anyway. At the end of the fall semester, when given an anonymous vote, the kids unanimously voted to continue into the spring semester with literature. I highly recommend using books that the local library has multiple copies of, since book budgets vary by family.

Ruth

• Like 1

In a one hour co-op setting, I've done Lego building challenges and "literature" for 9-12yos. The kids ended up preferring the literature. I prepared thematic activities for each book and then we discussed the book while the kids did the activities. For the The 39 Clues, we did code breaking. For Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, we did some basic psychological experiments, to experience what it was like being a rat in a laboratory. For The Island of the Blue Dolphins, we built small weaponry to fight the "devilfish" (I brought in a stuffed octopus). For Diary of a Wimpy Kid, I made a slice of nasty-looking cheese out of a post-it note, and we had fun giving everyone the Cheese Touch. Not everyone was able to finish the books in time for class, but they all loved the class anyway. At the end of the fall semester, when given an anonymous vote, the kids unanimously voted to continue into the spring semester with literature. I highly recommend using books that the local library has multiple copies of, since book budgets vary by family.

Ruth

Neat!  We have a Legos and K'nex class for the age right underneath my target age.  I was THRILLED to not be co-teaching that.  It was sensory overload for me but my boys live, sleep, eat, breathe legos and they loved it.  We had one little girl decide that singing was more her speed.  But that class is pretty boy heavy.  

In fact, now that I think about it... I think our co-op is boy heavy.  I need to look at the roster to see if my gut feeling is true.  LOL 

What do YOU love? Whatever you're passionate about tends to make the best classes. I love math and science - here's some things I've taught for middle school/high school elective co-ops:

Mystery Disease by Prufrock Press

http://www.prufrock.com/Mystery-Disease-P194.aspx

Mystery River (I like Mystery Disease better, but my background is medical)

http://www.prufrock.com/cw_Search.aspx?k=mystery+river

Mathematical Mystery Tour

http://www.prufrock.com/cw_Search.aspx?k=mathematical+mystery+tour

10 Things All Future Mathematicians and Scientists Should Know

http://www.prufrock.com/cw_Search.aspx?k=10+things

Exploring Bioethics (put out by the NIH - it has 6 three week units)

https://science.education.nih.gov/customers/HSBioethics.html

Wacky Chemistry

based on 101 Intriguing Labs, Projects, and Activities for the Chemistry Classroom by Brian Rohrig, though I'm not sure where you can buy this book anymore

Math and Logic Fun - based on Mathcounts club materials

Other classes for this age group taught be other people have included: PE, pottery, drama, creative writing, ballroom dancing, cooking, sewing, geocaching, guitar

I tend toward more academic in my "elective" classes since I love math and science, but they are all self-contained elective classes without homework.

• Like 2

What do YOU love? Whatever you're passionate about tends to make the best classes. 

Hmmm.. not sure!  I have had so many years of just trying to get school DONE for my crew with high risk pregnancies, bedrest,  HG, OT/PT/ST for more than one child at a time, chasing dxs, cross country moves, etc that I don't really get much time to think about what I enjoy.

I do enjoy theme parks.  But I enjoy going and forgetting all the other stuff I have to deal with in my life.   Other than that I read and study for pleasure.  My most recent rabbit trail was child created.  One of the kiddos asked me the difference between Kosher (from their Bible reading) and Halaal (which we saw over and over where we used to live.)  From there I clicked an interesting link that was about "proper" Jewish burial practices and funeral planning and I learned a lot about a culture and faith I have very little experience with personally.  

I think I'm an unschooler at heart but I was raised by public school teachers.  

Thanks for the suggestions.  I hadn't seen those resources you shared until today!  I'll look through and see if anything sparks an interest for me! 

As the previous poster suggested, teach a class on a subject that you enjoy.

I have been involved in planning co-op semesters for 14 years now.  A lot of our families have been there that long too, so I have learned what the ladies enjoy and don't enjoy.  I am not going to suggest that a science loving mom teach an art class and vice versa.

You can probably take any subject and turn into a fun, supplemental class.  I also suggest that depending on your other obligations during the school year, that you maybe plan a class around something you would like to do anyway with your own children, even if they won't be in your class, or something that you are doing anyway so that you are not spending a lot of time preparing lessons in addition to what you are already doing for your own homeschool.

For example, one mom teaches at another co-op, so she teaches the same thing at ours - killing two birds with one stone.  

The classes that are being offered for that age range in our co-op this semester are:  Latin (language and culture); Mosaic Tiles (art project); Drama; Electricity; Read & Discuss (I think they read some history related and then discuss).  Other classes in the past include:  Hands On Math; Logic; Public Speaking; Sewing; Cooking; science type classes; art classes - painting, sketching, card making, pysanky eggs.

Have fun picking a class out!

Fallacy Detective or Ellen McHenry's science would be good at that age and easily work in a co-op situation.

I've had Fallacy Detective in my Amazon cart for awhile now.  I'll look into McHenry's. 

As the previous poster suggested, teach a class on a subject that you enjoy.

I have been involved in planning co-op semesters for 14 years now.  A lot of our families have been there that long too, so I have learned what the ladies enjoy and don't enjoy.  I am not going to suggest that a science loving mom teach an art class and vice versa.

You can probably take any subject and turn into a fun, supplemental class.  I also suggest that depending on your other obligations during the school year, that you maybe plan a class around something you would like to do anyway with your own children, even if they won't be in your class, or something that you are doing anyway so that you are not spending a lot of time preparing lessons in addition to what you are already doing for your own homeschool.

For example, one mom teaches at another co-op, so she teaches the same thing at ours - killing two birds with one stone.  

The classes that are being offered for that age range in our co-op this semester are:  Latin (language and culture); Mosaic Tiles (art project); Drama; Electricity; Read & Discuss (I think they read some history related and then discuss).  Other classes in the past include:  Hands On Math; Logic; Public Speaking; Sewing; Cooking; science type classes; art classes - painting, sketching, card making, pysanky eggs.

Have fun picking a class out!

Ha!  Great minds think alike!  We are doing a CS Lewis Narnia Literature next year so I'll be prepping that anyway.  Two birds, one stone! 

Mosaic Tiles sounds fun.  Are they using a guide, or kit, or is the mom naturally gifted in art?  

I thought about Electricity or Snap Circuits and put in on my short list of things to research.  

I also thought about a Current Event type class.  Where we could present something we read or followed that week.  But then I wondered if it would cause issues with divisiveness and sensitivity issues.  (Examples: War, Ethics, Refugees, etc.)  So I thought that was dicey.  So then I thought well, what if we do a Science in the News type class where we could share science or technology current events.  The underlying commonality of both of these would be the opportunity to present.... which from the conversations I've witnessed, most of the moms really feel like they are lacking in their own homeschool (and something we LOVED about Classical Conversations.) So I'll give that more thought.  I'm very much the "newbie" in this co-op and like to watch dynamics before I say too much.  

Rocketry

Paper roller coasters

Public speaking or speech/debate

Intro to logic

I don't know how I missed this one earlier!  Paper Roller Coasters?  I'm putting that on my list!  Fallacy Detectives is what is in my cart for a logic suggestion from a friend.  

Rocketry?  Hmmm... I remember making a rocket in a technology class in middle school.  That could be fun... 

My son's co-op is also "fun/supplemental" and they are doing Mystery Book Club this semester.  They read The Westing Game and they're about to start Sherlock Holmes.  They discuss the book, but also add in fun detective-types of activities. 

Forensic Science is offered and a babysitting class and 5K training.  Backyard Ballistics was done last semester and that sounded like a fun class. 

We are currently doing Art of Argument in our co-op.  I have stretched it for a whole year but you could easily do it (or most of it) in one session.

Haha.  I'm not sure everyone is interested in teaching their kids how to argue.  I'll look it over though. 

My son's co-op is also "fun/supplemental" and they are doing Mystery Book Club this semester.  They read The Westing Game and they're about to start Sherlock Holmes.  They discuss the book, but also add in fun detective-types of activities. 

Forensic Science is offered and a babysitting class and 5K training.  Backyard Ballistics was done last semester and that sounded like a fun class. 

The Mystery Book Club is interesting!  Forensic Science sounds fun.  We have a PE based class for that age, it's based on team games, so I don't think we have enough students to pull this age group out separately.  As it is, I got a call asking me if I could move some of my kids from gardening to PE.  LOL 

Backyard Ballistics?  Ooooooooooo.... 

Entrepreneurship, Logic, Learning/Study Skills, Creative Writing, Literature Analysis, Forensic Science, History

Study Skills is one that has been tossed around before.  No one wanted to teach it.  I have thought about a Personal Finance class.  

I taught co-op classes based on both Renaissance history and Treasure Island to middle grade kids a few years ago, and both worked well and seemed to be enjoyed by the kids. With nine weeks, if feel comfortable assigning some outside reading for background in history.

Those are both very interesting subjects!  

Thanks for everyone's help!  I was seriously having trouble brainstorming and didn't want to be "volun-told" for a class I don't care for again.  Lesson learned! 

Favorite co-op classes of my kids...

-Chess

-Boy's Book Club, they read a book every two weeks and discuss it. The teacher always brings snacks which the boys love. And they've read some great stuff. 

-Lego Mechanics

-Sherlock Holmes- they read a story roughly every couple of weeks and then the teacher would have them do activities in class related to the stories...code-breaking, fingerprinting, fabric analysis 

-Rocket Science- I don't remember exactly what they did but it was very popular. I think it was kind of a general physical science class but very hands-on.

-A Game class- they did math games, logic games, card games, outdoor games in good weather, etc. 

Other classes at our co-op that are popular...

-American Girl book club

-Sewing

-Cooking was VERY popular when they used to do it. 

If you decided to go for electricity or snap circuits, consider including Chibitronics in your plan! Their paper-based electrical projects went over very well with the 6th graders in our co-op. They have plans for how to use conductive tape and sticker LED lights to make projects. So cool.

How about CryptoClub? So much fun with cyphers and codes. And since the book is written for school, it would work beautifully in a co-op setting. You could pick and choose the chapters you wanted. There's a post here somewhere with how to find the workbook for free. (Sorry, on my phone and it's not easy to manage links.)

I taught a poetry writing class for middle schoolers that was very popular. I used How to Write Poetry by Paul Janeczko.

Hands-on science.  9 weeks is long enough to get through a Delta Science in a Nutshell Kit.

Cooking

Games:  chess, Settlers of Catan, Muggins, etc... or kick-ball, capture the flag, etc...

wood-working

Our co-op is doing a small motors class, and that is something my middle-schooler truly looks forward to.

Music:  Teach rhythm & notation via STOMP style instruments.  (This will depend upon the knowledge level of your kids.  It's not as fun if you have to start from the ground-up with "This is a quarter-note.")

Art: focus on drawing or sculpting or painting.  Do a 10min artist bio.

You could take a look at the activities in the Time to Invent Club guide. I think I heard about it here on the boards.

It's designed for 5th graders, but I did it with slightly older students. I picked my favorite activities out of the 16—I think we did four weeks. We usually did some creative thinking stuff to start a class, then worked on one of the activities. Materials were fairly inexpensive, often items from the recycling bin.

Erica in OR

this year our middle range kids, grades 4-8 have:

art- drawing mostly this year.  They have done art history with learning famous painters and playing with their styles in years past.

PE

Language club- 1/3 the year of beginning Spanish, 1/3 the year Latin- songs, prayers, history, and some vocab, 1/3 the year of sign language

Latin- we have First Form or Second Form classes going, whereever they fit

Home Ec

Science- they use Apologia as a guide, doing the experiments and discussions in class.  All reading and any work assigned by mom at home, no grades or tests.

Speech and Drama- this has been awesome.  They learned the 5 para essay format, and have written many speeches assigned on our State history (which is another class they have) plus lots of different forms of speeches, plus a bit of drama and debate.

State History- this has been done in class, a topic a week, covering the year, with a few big presentation nights they did projects for, lots of field trips, and boxes checked out from our state history center of artifacts and materials to use. They have done lots of hands on stuff- dress up, games, food, art, and making notebook pages on each topic to create a book as they go.

Yearbook class- putting together the yearbook

• 3 weeks later...

You could take a look at the activities in the Time to Invent Club guide. I think I heard about it here on the boards.

It's designed for 5th graders, but I did it with slightly older students. I picked my favorite activities out of the 16—I think we did four weeks. We usually did some creative thinking stuff to start a class, then worked on one of the activities. Materials were fairly inexpensive, often items from the recycling bin.

Erica in OR

This is a neat idea!

Sooooooooooooo... long story short, I'm in a "fun/supplemental" co-op and one of the responsibilities of it being a TRUE co-op is that we have to propose a class for each level that our children are in.  

There are LOTS of moms with younger children, but the co-op is looking for more options for the older children.  Pretty much, since I have two older children next term, whatever I propose has a REALLY good chance of being picked.  

That said, I want it to be something that I would GREATLY enjoy teaching.  This term, I'm teaching fingerpainting.....

Another long story, but I'm the only option that hour, and I only signed my youngest up for it so he could do it without me having to supervise.  

God laughed.  Now I supervise him and 4 peers.  

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo... The co-op is 9 weeks long and you have an hour per period.  So it can't be something really in depth or time consuming.  Per my above statement, I'm not looking to torture myself with something super messy.  I mean, I'm responsible for keeping the room we rent in one piece!  

This term they are doing an Intro to Shakespeare and a middle school level Anatomy overview class.  

I'm considering proposing Narnia but I need another class to propose too, since I have two children in the age range assigned by the co-op.  

What have you seen done that worked?  What have you taught in a similar setting?  What would you like to see offered if you were a member of our co-op?  

What are you using for Anatomy?