Menu

Invasive much? Can't believe this letter I got!

TranquilMind

You know what irks me to no end is the fact they send my claims to my husband and list my claims under his account on-line.  I can sign up to have the claims show in my separate account, but they still show up in his account.  I'm not his property.  I'm not a child.  I don't think this should be allowed.  Now I don't care if he knows or sees them, but what if I did?  I have every right to keep my medical stuff private. 

It's not that I care if my dh sees what I'm having done, but I can see where it could be an issue.  I've never had this happen with Blue Cross.  We each have our own user id/password.  He can't see mine, and I can't see his.  Curious.

It's not that I care if my dh sees what I'm having done, but I can see where it could be an issue.  I've never had this happen with Blue Cross.  We each have our own user id/password.  He can't see mine, and I can't see his.  Curious.

So do you each have your own insurance, or is one person held accountable for both accounts?

I am trying to wrap my mind around how it can work if one person is financially responsible for the bill but is not allowed to see what the bill is for.

• Like 1

But how are they supposed to bill him?

"Please pay xyz amount. We cannot tell you what for and cannot let you check whether this is a claim for the correct patient of procedure. Just trust us and pay up."???

Computers are stupid. We had plenty of that. It was horrible when we switched the kids to my insurance form DH's.. took them years to get that straight.

These are not bills.  I paid my portion up front. He is not responsible for paying my bills even if the insurance is through him.  If there is a portion I still owe the bills have always been sent to me.  It's not the doctor's offices that are invading my privacy.  It is the insurance company.

If it is a matter of him needing to know if, for example, a deductible was met or whatever, they could easily show that information without details such as which procedure I had. 

• Like 1

That's an interesting point about the privacy of other covered persons on the policy.

I think the EOB would need to go to the policy holder because he needs to know where he is as far as annual deductible, lifelong out of pocket limit etc.  Each of these is going to affect that.

But yeah, that could actually endanger an abused wife, or could cause problems in cases where a couple is separated but still both on the same insurance.

Same with older dependent kids who, for example, might have gone in for a VD test or some drug counseling.

How would that issue be best addressed?

• Like 1

Years ago when I was pregnant with my first kid I got something in the mail from the hospital that had my husband's name on it.  It was one of these explanation of services and a notice that they will bill the insurance company.  It was highly detailed.  Every diagnosis and procedure was clearly on there.  I called them up and tore them a new one.  They never did that again.

• Like 1

Well, I went to a Dr here that had my name in their system.  I lived out here 11 years ago, but never saw a Dr in this practice.  It was weird I was in their system.  Same with my daughter.  She had never lived out here(born on east coast).  Why was her info in a medical practice system when she had never seen a Dr in this state???  Something is connected.  And it's very creepy. 

Years ago, I remember my uncle (a podiatrist) railing against the government's insistence that all doctors "computerize."  He felt it was slippery slope stuff and pretty soon everything about everybody would be available to the government, like it or not.  I remember thinking he was being a little extreme ....

• Like 2

So do you each have your own insurance, or is one person held accountable for both accounts?

I am trying to wrap my mind around how it can work if one person is financially responsible for the bill but is not allowed to see what the bill is for.

This was insurance we bought through the exchange; we both had the same policy, and our premium notice was billed together, not separately.  I had my own online account where I could view my EOB, and he had his (didn't show mine).  We each received printed EOBs separately.  Our premium was deducted directly from our checking account.  This was for 2014 and part of 2015.  We've had policies though different companies since May of last year due to a job change for dh so my memory is a little hazy.  But no, he would not see my medical procedures unless I showed him or if he opened mail addressed to me.  I honestly don't know if there was a primary on the account.  I tend to think we each had our own individual policy (same policy/same company), but our premium was deducted in one lump sum from our account.  I'm not altogether clear on how it all works when buying insurance off the exchange.

Did you purchase it off the exchange? or through your dh's employer?  I think maybe this is the difference.  We got our policy through the exchange.

Blue Cross is a brand; there are different companies with the name "Blue Cross" attached to them but they can be different.   Independence, Highmark, Anthem, Horizon are all Blue Cross companies I have heard of.  There are more.  One Blue Cross is not going to be exactly the same as all others.

• Like 1

Blue Cross is a brand; there are different companies with the name "Blue Cross" attached to them but they can be different.   Independence, Highmark, Anthem, Horizon are all Blue Cross companies I have heard of.  There are more.  One Blue Cross is not going to be exactly the same as all others.

Yes that is true.  We have BCBS of Texas even though we live in New York.  (It causes a lot of confusion.)

I assume ultimately I am responsible for my own bills.  Can they really come after my spouse for a charge I incurred?  I doubt that.  I think it is fine to share amounts if we are talking about stuff like deductibles (although none of the services I've used were subject to a deductible so that wasn't necessary either).

The state I live in - yes.  I am responsible for debts my dh incurs.  If he buys a car, signs the contract, and doesn't pay, they could come after me.  I live in a community property state, though.  

The state I live in - yes.  I am responsible for debts my dh incurs.  If he buys a car, signs the contract, and doesn't pay, they could come after me.  I live in a community property state, though.  

Weird.  That isn't like that here.  My car is in my husband's name and I will not be responsible for it if he dies or does not pay.  If my name is on it then yes.  (smart huh?  LOL_)  Actually we have insurance that came with the loan from a credit union that it is paid off if he dies because it would be sucky to not have a car.

Weird.  That isn't like that here.  My car is in my husband's name and I will not be responsible for it if he dies or does not pay.  If my name is on it then yes.  (smart huh?  LOL_)  Actually we have insurance that came with the loan from a credit union that it is paid off if he dies because it would be sucky to not have a car.

Well, I've never been in a situation where I was faced with this, but that is my understanding.  Any debt incurred by my spouse during our marriage is also my responsibility.  I think I'm in a minority state though; most aren't set up this way.

I just looked it up, and there are nine community property states.  New York isn't one.

Well, I've never been in a situation where I was faced with this, but that is my understanding.  Any debt incurred by my spouse during our marriage is also my responsibility.  I think I'm in a minority state though; most aren't set up this way.

I just looked it up, and there are nine community property states.  New York isn't one.

Huh..interesting.  For some stuff I think that's ok (a house for example because one can't generally argue that it isn't shared in a marriage).  Cars are not necessarily shared.  I have never driven my husband's car.  He almost never uses my car.  He wanted to try it out when I first got it (ya know...fun new car), but nope he never uses it.

I take control of my own health and don't need reminders as if I were in junior high.  

The invasiveness stems from the fact that they use my information obtained from a surgery years ago to peddle more services.  I don't consent to the use of my information ever. 

Fat lot of good it does me, but it is the principle of the thing.  

If you choose not to consent, then you must refuse to give them your data.

They have the right to refuse service to those who do not provide data.

That is how for-profit health care works.

I'm sorry reminders are so bothersome to you. I love them, personally. Quite frankly if someone e-mailed me reminding me that I'm getting my period I seriously would not mind. That would be a plus.

I guess I'm a junior-high level planner.

I assume ultimately I am responsible for my own bills.  Can they really come after my spouse for a charge I incurred?  I doubt that.  I think it is fine to share amounts if we are talking about stuff like deductibles (although none of the services I've used were subject to a deductible so that wasn't necessary either).

Yes, because he is the primary policy holder he is generally considered the guarantor. It's often listed that way on medical forms. Basically, the buck stops with him because it is his policy. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry reminders are so bothersome to you. I love them, personally. Quite frankly if someone e-mailed me reminding me that I'm getting my period I seriously would not mind. That would be a plus.

You can't opt out here. Oh you can opt out of having an account for yourself to see your records, but you cannot opt out of them logging any and all data on you that they want to. EPIC is what is used here for medical data management. And every single hospital here uses the same system, so good luck doing without medical care for the duration of living here.

They can't refuse you service in the ER of course but they are under no legal obligation currently to honor your desire to not be entered into the EPIC system.

And it's about as secure as the lock on my bathroom door IMO.

Believe me, I give as little data as possible, just enough to accomplish my goal. 

Laughing at the thought of an email to remind you you are getting your period.  Would you not be aware otherwise?  ;)

Edited by TranquilMind

You can't opt out here. Oh you can opt out of having an account for yourself to see your records, but you cannot opt out of them logging any and all data on you that they want to. EPIC is what is used here for medical data management. And every single hospital here uses the same system, so good luck doing without medical care for the duration of living here.

They can't refuse you service in the ER of course but they are under no legal obligation currently to honor your desire to not be entered into the EPIC system.

And it's about as secure as the lock on my bathroom door IMO.

Right. 

Makes me feel so confident.  I mean, when has this information ever been hacked.  Oh, wait...

Believe me, I give as little data as possible, just enough to accomplish my goal.

Laughing at the thought of an email to remind you you are getting your period. Would you not be aware otherwise? ;)

I have to look at the moon to know when it is coming, because the dates change.

• Like 1

Yes, it does. The amount it costs to send automated computer generated letters, even if mailed through the USPS, in absolutely negligible compared to the amount it costs to treat a case of late stage breast cancer.

What you find so terribly annoying might possibly save another woman's life - a woman who is not so on top of things as you are and appreciates the reminder. Sorry for the inconvenience.

You're correct but you've missed (I think) the motivation of the hospital.

Sending thousands of letters costs them maybe hundreds of dollars.  If they get a 1% response rate they make all that $ back and much more on just the mammograms, then they make $ on the further treatment (as the patient is reconnected to their hospital and will hopefully get further care there).

• Like 1

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that was one of the provisions of Obamacare.  The whole "integrated medical records" thing.  I remember my doctor's office having a hard time with it because it was really costly for them to upgrade their computer system on top of having to input all medical information about every patient they had ever had in the computer.

Hot Lava Mama

Yep.  And the government now has access to your private medical records if necessary "to ensure your compliance" with paying the fine if you did not acquire insurance.  They say they can't get details.  Right.  A hacker can get details any day of the week, if motivated. 

It's all out there now.  Bye bye, privacy. 

Car places send out notices telling you you are due for an oil change. It's the same thing. Maybe you already got an oil change elsewhere, maybe you do it yourself, but it's worth a try. 

I don't like that, but at least I did that kind of business with them before, so it makes sense. 

My letter is entirely different.  I only had emergency surgery there once, years ago.  I don't do any normal business there. 

I don't like that, but at least I did that kind of business with them before, so it makes sense. 

My letter is entirely different.  I only had emergency surgery there once, years ago.  I don't do any normal business there. 

But the computer program doesn't know it  was emergency surgery,  years ago.  It just knows that someone in their system, of the right sex and the right age group, hasn't had a mammogram there, and they want you to know that you can come on in and have one.  

You could call the hospital and ask to be removed from their mailing list.  I don't know if you've mentioned that you've done that or are doing that. 

ETA: I get oil change reminders from places I've never done business with.  Of course they're just guessing that I have a car, and that it might need oil.  No idea how I got on their list.  But it's like getting the Victoria's Secret catalog - I've never shopped there, but every now and then the catalog shows up. I know it seems like it should be more private because it's medical stuff, but it really is the same thing. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

But the computer program doesn't know it  was emergency surgery,  years ago.  It just knows that someone in their system, of the right sex and the right age group, hasn't had a mammogram there, and they want you to know that you can come on in and have one.  

You could call the hospital and ask to be removed from their mailing list.  I don't know if you've mentioned that you've done that or are doing that. 

ETA: I get oil change reminders from places I've never done business with.  Of course they're just guessing that I have a car, and that it might need oil.  No idea how I got on their list.  But it's like getting the Victoria's Secret catalog - I've never shopped there, but every now and then the catalog shows up. I know it seems like it should be more private because it's medical stuff, but it really is the same thing. 

No, it is not the same thing at all as getting reminders to change your oil, or a catalog!

Sure the computer/person operating knows exactly why I was there.  It/the staff know everything about me on my very first entry into that building!  Did you see the part about how I came in to the ER for the very first time, and they needed no personal information on me or my husband, just confirmation that I was who I said I was?  They had it ALL. 

Edited by TranquilMind

We have Tricare and my husband does not get my EOB nor my check for reimbursement.  Neither do we get those for our adult daughter, even though we are paying the doctor. We just have her deposit the check and then we transfer the money to our account. But I am surprised that any insurance sends procedure information to the primary insurance holder. 

No, it is not the same thing at all as getting reminders to change your oil, or a catalog!

Sure the computer/person operating knows exactly why I was there.  It/the staff know everything about me on my very first entry into that building!  Did you see the part about how I came in to the ER for the very first time, and they needed no personal information on me or my husband, just confirmation that I was who I said I was?  They had it ALL. 

Yes, that's true. What I meant was... The computer is not looking at individuals. It is looking for people of the right sex and age group to market mammograms to.  There may be a man who was in there years ago for an ingrown toenail and now is getting invitations to come in for a prostate exam. It's just targeted advertising.

• Like 2

Sure the computer/person operating knows exactly why I was there. It/the staff know everything about me on my very first entry into that building! Did you see the part about how I came in to the ER for the very first time, and they needed no personal information on me or my husband, just confirmation that I was who I said I was? They had it ALL.

There are laws about who can access the information. My mil worked in a major hospital and they were regularly checking to make sure that the people who were looking at patient records had a valid reason to do so.

And there will never be 100% privacy, even if we went back to paper files. Someone staples those papers together, files them, dusts them, etc.

• Like 1

There are laws about who can access the information. My mil worked in a major hospital and they were regularly checking to make sure that the people who were looking at patient records had a valid reason to do so.

And there will never be 100% privacy, even if we went back to paper files. Someone staples those papers together, files them, dusts them, etc.

Paper files were safer.  Only a person physically present could access them. Now everyone and his hacker brother can see them, disseminate them, steal them, etc. 

• Like 1

I had far more issues with this going to a local practice than I've ever had from computerized deals.  I had no plans to tell students at school about my brain tumor when I found out about it, yet the first day I went to school after the local office was updated with the news, the very first student I saw came up and gave me a hug telling me they'd all be there for me.

How in the world did that get around and travel so quickly???  Well... the local doctor had just found out and I teach locally so am fairly well known... coupled with it being an out of the ordinary issue.  Somebody said something.  It's human nature.

Such is life.  I rolled with it (though it took a day or two to get over my plans being modified).  I ended up letting our anatomy teacher use my stuff as teaching moments in his classes and now I can use the BT/radiation as an excuse for any mistake I make.   :coolgleamA:   I know some of them are due to it, so I don't feel guilty using it as an excuse.

And that first student...  I understand now why he couldn't keep the info to himself.  His mom died last year from her own BT - a different (and much worse) type than mine, of course.  His reaction was totally understandable.  We talked about life periodically.

At the moment I don't go to that local practice any longer and it does feel more private when people have to ask me how I'm doing, so it is something for privacy lovers to think about.  Even if it hadn't been someone in the office itself spreading the news, the rooms they have are hardly soundproof at most practices I've been to.  I can always tell you what's wrong with the person in the room next to mine - sometimes very specifically.  It's a good thing I didn't know any of them, but again, I'm more well known locally due to my position at school.

I have no problems getting mailers or e-mail suggestions.  I don't consider that an invasion of anything.  But I really dislike talking about what my issues are specifically when I've just heard the woes of the person before me and know whoever is next gets to hear mine.

Yep. And the government now has access to your private medical records if necessary "to ensure your compliance" with paying the fine if you did not acquire insurance. They say they can't get details. Right. A hacker can get details any day of the week, if motivated.

It's all out there now. Bye bye, privacy.

How does my insurance company providing me proof of coverage (which is what I need to avoid the fine) give the government access to my medical records?

If you argument is that it is because the government can hack them, well...lol.

If your complaint is that the electronic records exits then, well...lol.

How does my insurance company providing me proof of coverage (which is what I need to avoid the fine) give the government access to my medical records?

If you argument is that it is because the government can hack them, well...lol.

If your complaint is that the electronic records exits then, well...lol.

You - and almost all of those who passed it - have not read the entire legislation. 

Remember Nancy Pelosi's famous comment, that they had to pass it find out what's in it?  

Page 72-73  

Protected health information (PHI) may be shared with virtually any government agency under an HHS ruling in 2013, for the ostensible reason of ensuring one receives "essential benefits"  and is compliant, of course (and any other reason it wants, basically).  Right now, that overt permission is limited to people expressing interest in the state exchanges. 

That won't last long.

So, for those seeking exchange insurance, the government may access PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION (not just aggregate or anonymized, as they originally contended) in order to see you are compliant, or are getting whatever benefits it determines that you need and freely share said information with other government agencies. 

Big Brother knows best.