Menu

Once again - electrolysis OR laser!

sheryl

This is driving me nuts and is time consuming to decide.

Should I make a poll! LOL

I understand laser is "not" permanent but is "reducing" as it was told to me. In time, the hair may grow back

but it is less!?????!!!??

Electrolysis IS permanent and more expensive.

Oy, which way to go?!?!?!!!!!!

Edited by sheryl

Both require multiple treatments.

Laser works better on larger areas of dense, dark hair.

Electrolysis works better on thinner, lighter hairs as well as smaller areas.

So, legs and underarms do well with laser, while upper lips and chins do better with electrolysis, generally speaking.

• Like 2

Both require multiple treatments.

Laser works better on larger areas of dense, dark hair.

Electrolysis works better on thinner, lighter hairs as well as smaller areas.

So, legs and underarms do well with laser, while upper lips and chins do better with electrolysis, generally speaking.

But what about dark hair on chins?

But what about dark hair on chins?

I was told that a laser can sometimes make chin hair worse - as in, more comes in.  A friend of mine was told the same at another laser place.  A third friend has a sister who had it done on her chin and said the hair did indeed come back worse. 

I know it sounds silly, but that is what I have heard/heard of.

• Like 1

I was told that a laser can sometimes make chin hair worse - as in, more comes in.  A friend of mine was told the same at another laser place.  A third friend has a sister who had it done on her chin and said the hair did indeed come back worse. 

I know it sounds silly, but that is what I have heard/heard of.

I've heard the same thing about plucking and shaving. I tend to think it is probably more an artifact of the hair problem increasing as time goes on, and would have happened regardless. 

• Like 3

I've been doing electrolysis on my chin for a year now. It works. I tried laser, because it's much less painful, but the hair on my sideburns got more dense, not less. Laser is cheaper but, imnsho, it's less effective. I go every week for a 2-4 hr. session (it was longer in the beginning, shorter now). My electrologist provides numb cream which takes the edge off. It's painful, not gonna lie, but it's made a huge difference for me. My dr. prescribed tretinoin (retin a cream) that I alternate w/an Rx- grade exfoliating gel. My chin is sooooo much better. I probably have another 6 mos. before I can declare victory and I don't even care. It costs me $88/week (x 50+ weeks) and I'm still not complaining.Full disclosure, I have PCOS w/ dark, thick, curly hairs that get ingrown. I also take spironolactone to reduce androgen reception in the hair follicles.

Edited by Sneezyone

Has anyone had their mustache done?  DD has really dark mustache hair that she nairs right now, but is getting hypersensitive to the nair.  She doesn't like the idea of having to shave for laser.  Do you have to shave first for electrolysis?

I had to shave for my underarms and ahem, other regions, for the laser.  I never had to shave my lip to have that done.  I only did mine one time though, because my laser place would not use their laser if you had been in the sun recently (and since my kids were young I was always outside with them except in the dead of winter so I never got to do it again).

• Like 1

I just finished getting my stache lasered. I think I had 9 treatments. Each one takes about 5 minutes and the whole process cost $300. I have a few that need plucked but that's it. Shaving-check out the Tinkle razors on Amazon.

• Like 1

ok, I had a consultation today at a laser center.

she said that while they can not guarantee a permanent factor, it comes pretty close to it. there are different types of lasers and not all are created equal. so, i'm guessing if someone went to a facility and their hair is growing back the facility may not have used a

good laser - maybe? one that gets to the blood supply and zaps it. that's when hair stops growing out.

she did say laser works better on darker hair and will not work on blonde or gray/silver hair but in those circumstances to go to an

electrolysis.

• Like 1