Menu

What has worked best for your dog allergy?

AimeeM

It's getting to the point where Zyrtec and Allegra aren't cutting it. I wasn't allergic to dogs until my third pregnancy - and didn't realize it was a dog allergy until I remembered that my only "allergy free" time had been after Luke (our late GSD) passed away, but before we got Obi (our current GSD).

Do shots really work? Any other OTC combination that I could try?

It's at the point where the Zyrtec is working half-life and I'm left itching from head to toe (literally head to toe - I thought we surely had lice or bed bugs, until I realized my itching was a rash and nobody else in the house itched), sneezing, nose running like a faucet, eyes watering, and absolutely miserable all day and night. 

Staying away from dogs.

In your shoes, I would begin looking into rehoming the dog because I can't imagine that doping yourself up with allergy meds on a constant basis is much healthier than living in a state of allergy-agitation. I suspect that taking the meds constantly will wear on you physically, mentally and on the family if the homeschooling, house-running, parent is constantly in a haze of either allergy meds or allergy symtpoms.

Have you spoken to your doctor/vet for suggestions? Its easy for me to recommend getting rid of the dog--I don't like animals, but I can appreciate that this could be a harder choice for someone that actually likes the animal in question.

• Like 2

When I did shots for other environmental allergies I noticed my cat allergy (we have 3) got better.  Even now that I've stopped the shots, I feel my cat allergy is much more manageable than it was before the shots. 

Stefanie

• Like 2

I really can't imagine living a happy life without a large dog, so there's that. I can appreciate that there are those who feel differently, but while there's something I can do medically, I feel the need to do that. If nothing (and I mean NOTHING) worked, I would consider rehoming, but only because it's getting to the point where the dog isn't getting the affection or attention he deserves because I'm incapable of handling exposure for long periods (in other words, he's crated or away from his people for incrementally longer periods of time, to the point where he's suffering and sad). So right now I'm looking for a way to tolerate the exposure. If nothing works, he deserves more (absolutely), but I have to try first. 

Edited by AimeeM

I take Zyrtec at night and use Nasonex in the am. I'd suggest a nasal steroid that has impact on your eyes, not all of them do. You can also try switching your antihistamine, sometimes they just

no longer work. Simple environmental changes may help, keep the dog out of your bedroom and limit exposure to certain rooms of the house cut allergen exposure to some degree. Hepa filters too.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

Becoming pregnant caused my dog allergy to disappear. Of course this created other long-term consequences...

This is a symptom of an over-active immune system. It's great while it lasts.

Have you tried Claritin? When I took Zyrtec, it got to where I was itching between doses and it wasn't the dog's fault. Have you tried using a neti pot?

I second keeping the dog out of the bedroom, and I have to vacuum everyday when we have doggie visitors who shed.

For our pet, we went with a bichon because of the allergy problem, and she really doesn't bother us the way other dogs do.

Alternating allergy meds every 3-4 months sometimes helps. Such as swapping thr Zyrtec with Claritin, and the back again after 3-4 months. Nasonex or similar. Benadryl if necessary.

Make your sleeping space a dog free zone. Wash and clean all bedding thoroughly and shower before bed to wash off allergens. You may have to wash your bedding more often. Keep clothing and other things that have been in contact with the dog outside of the room too.

Air filters, changing out filters regularly. Vacuuming/dusting house daily.

An H2 blocker might help with the skin itching. Zantac is an H2 blocker, you can google for others brands.

Talk to an allergist, they may have options as well. Including immunotherapy (allergy shots).

Edited by PinkyandtheBrains.

In addition to treating yourself, treat the dog --

Have him bathed regularly (by someone else in the family or by a groomer).  I list this first because it's the most important thing by far.

Have someone else in the family brush him daily or as often as possible (do it outside, of course).

Try a dander removing spray.

Put him on a good quality fish body or salmon oil supplement

Find the absolute best food (for him, whatever that is) and keep him on it

• Like 1

No pets in our bedroom. This is critical.

A HEPA filter running 24/7 in our bedroom. Also critical. 

Getting rid of all carpeting in the house. Hard floors only. Pricey, but worth it when you can do it.

Washable slipcovered couches, although I am leaning towards banning the pets from upholstered furniture at some point in the future. Leather furniture would be good. 

These steps help me live with 3 dogs and 4 cats. 

The bedroom rules were advised by my allergist as being the keys. They do indeed help immeasurably. 

• Like 1

No pets in our bedroom. This is critical.

A HEPA filter running 24/7 in our bedroom. Also critical. 

Getting rid of all carpeting in the house. Hard floors only. Pricey, but worth it when you can do it.

Washable slipcovered couches, although I am leaning towards banning the pets from upholstered furniture at some point in the future. Leather furniture would be good. 

These steps help me live with 3 dogs and 4 cats. 

The bedroom rules were advised by my allergist as being the keys. They do indeed help immeasurably. 

• Like 1

My uncle does shots, but they also researched a long time to choose a breed least likely to cause a reaction and best for them, which turned out to be a Weimaraner.

I think my in-laws do shots (or maybe just pills?) and they have a million GSDs. But it's so dependent on the person and their system.  I had a GSD mix and another big guy, and I only reacted when I did a big brush out or got extra cuddly.  (Same with my cats.) Meanwhile, I can't walk into my in-laws' house without reacting.

My husband is mildly allergic to dogs, and I am a tiny bit, too. Bathing our dog every four days completely took care of the problem. Use a high-quality, moisturizing shampoo that won't dry out your dog's skin, which could make things worse. My favorite dog shampoo is HyLyt. A hand-held sprayer in the bathtub is essential. Also, be sure to wash his bedding once a week. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

I had shots, but I am now (a few years later) getting random allergic reactions to a lot of things, including dogs--unfortunately, they involve hives and some asthma issues now rather than just sneezing and the like. My dog allergy prior to shots was very minimal compared to the many other things I was allergic to. I am getting new/additional testing to see if I can get to the bottom of it, but I think you are going to have to do some serious work to remain healthy even if your allergies remain stable (they often do not) and be open to no dog down the road--you can't always control this, and you don't want to have a life-threatening reaction. 

I think it's wise to seek shots, but that can make your allergies worse in the short-term until they start making you feel better. I definitely felt worse before I felt better when taking shots.

I really can't imagine living a happy life without a large dog, so there's that. I can appreciate that there are those who feel differently, but while there's something I can do medically, I feel the need to do that. If nothing (and I mean NOTHING) worked, I would consider rehoming, but only because it's getting to the point where the dog isn't getting the affection or attention he deserves because I'm incapable of handling exposure for long periods (in other words, he's crated or away from his people for incrementally longer periods of time, to the point where he's suffering and sad). So right now I'm looking for a way to tolerate the exposure. If nothing works, he deserves more (absolutely), but I have to try first. 

We have done allergy blood tests here, but don't have any dogs.  I bet you can get a panel that shows definitively if this is indeed your issue.  I'd want to be very sure, but if I were, the dog goes.  You've got to be there for your family. 

• Like 1

Well, if a having a dog is such an important part of your life that you don't feel you can live a happy life with just your spouse, kids, jobs, a home and your health, then does it have to be a big dog?

There are different breeds some of which are allergy friendly, which ones, I don't know, but I do recall Pres. Obama got his family a dog after winning the presidency they were on the hunt for a special breed because someone in the Obama crew is allergic too dogs. I think that PR China offered them a certain breed/type of dog, but I can't remember if their dog actually came from China.

Well, if a having a dog is such an important part of your life that you don't feel you can live a happy life with just your spouse, kids, jobs, a home and your health, then does it have to be a big dog? This feels a bit passive aggressive to me (the "with just your spouse, kids, etc). I've had large dogs my entire life. My pets in general matter to me. I made a commitment to them. If I can keep them in the only home they've known by taking some medication, I'll do it; if it doesn't get better with anything, of course I can be happy with my family, sans dog; but I wasn't being snarky when I said I can't imagine having a happy life without a large dog... because I've never really known life without one, minus a few months here and there when one dog dies of old age.

There are different breeds some of which are allergy friendly, which ones, I don't know, but I do recall Pres. Obama got his family a dog after winning the presidency they were on the hunt for a special breed because someone in the Obama crew is allergic too dogs. I think that PR China offered them a certain breed/type of dog, but I can't remember if their dog actually came from China. I generally lean towards GSDs. Obviously these are touted as usually being the WORST breed for someone with an allergy, lol. With that said, I wouldn't get rid of one dog (if I can't handle him because nothing helps the allergy) only to buy another on the chance that "this one will be different," kwim? 

I think I'll try what others have recommended RE finding an allergist, nasal sprays, and having him groomed more than generally recommended for his breed.

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 1

Well, if a having a dog is such an important part of your life that you don't feel you can live a happy life with just your spouse, kids, jobs, a home and your health, then does it have to be a big dog? This feels a bit passive aggressive to me (the "with just your spouse, kids, etc). I've had large dogs my entire life. My pets in general matter to me. I made a commitment to them. If I can keep them in the only home they've known by taking some medication, I'll do it; if it doesn't get better with anything, of course I can be happy with my family, sans dog; but I wasn't being snarky when I said I can't imagine having a happy life without a large dog... because I've never really known life without one, minus a few months here and there when one dog dies of old age.

There are different breeds some of which are allergy friendly, which ones, I don't know, but I do recall Pres. Obama got his family a dog after winning the presidency they were on the hunt for a special breed because someone in the Obama crew is allergic too dogs. I think that PR China offered them a certain breed/type of dog, but I can't remember if their dog actually came from China. I generally lean towards GSDs. Obviously these are touted as usually being the WORST breed for someone with an allergy, lol. With that said, I wouldn't get rid of one dog (if I can't handle him because nothing helps the allergy) only to buy another on the chance that "this one will be different," kwim? 

I think I'll try what others have recommended RE finding an allergist, nasal sprays, and having him groomed more than generally recommended for his breed.

It wasn't meant passive agressively, but to cast some perspective on the situation. The way you stated it seemed...weird to me. I wasn't trying to be mean, but to me, its "a dog" and just that. I can appreciate that for you its "Dogs Name" [whatever the dogs name is. My point is that you see him/her as a family member. But from the outside looking in, you are putting yourself in harms way and medical distress over a dog. You are willing to spend days in allergy induced fogs/discomfort and miss out on participating in all the other wonderful parts of your life because you are trying to keep a dog that is making you too sick to enjoy anything.

I understand that the dog is a part of your happiness, but I can't wrap my head around caring so much that you rank it up there equally to being their for yourself, your kids and your spouse. Thats just me. Its not secret that I'm not a big fan of animals, so maybe my "animal indifference" showed in my other post. Its not an attack on you and it wasn't meant passive aggressively, no matter what I do or don't think based on the tiny bit of info that you shared in this thread--If it (can) work for you and your family, then hey, just ignore me, but the current situation just seems unbalanced to me. Its lose-lose. The dog is crated/isolated regularly and you're in need of constant medication which isn't currently effective You're both miserable.

The kids have a dog that they can't play with freely and a mom that is tired and medicated or in need of medication. Your husband has an allergy-riddled wife, and a dog that agitates the allergies in his wife...so on and so forth.

My remark about the allergy friendly breeds wasn't meant as "trade him in for an allergy-friendly model" just as since you said that you would try everything you could prior to actually rehoming him with another family, if it comes to rehoming the current dog, maybe you you can't have a big dog anymore, but maybe you can have a (small/medium) dog. I do not know what GSD stands for (German Shepard Dog?) but I know that an Obama is allergic to dogs and yet the family has one. Which dog they have? I don't know, but I now that they have one.

Edited by Gil

PWDs are substantial sized dogs. Also giant schnauzers, standard poodles, and Wheaten terriers can be lower allergy triggering dogs that are good sized. I like bigger dogs too, but the symptoms you listed don't sound sustainable. I'd worry what long term damage you could be doing putting your body under such stress.

Get rid of carpet wherever dog will be and in your bedroom; keep dog off any soft furniture you sit on and out of your bedroom; frequent non-drying baths (HyLyt is great!) for the dog; avoid touching the dog and shower after you do; try a nasal allergy drug such as Flonase as well as Zyrtec (Doctor of course); keep dog out of the car as much as possible and crate him to limit dander spreading when he's going to the vet. My family member couldn't commit to weekly allergy clinic visits for shots for several reasons. She had to rehome their cats, replace furniture, scrub walls, replace carpet and padding, etc. DH has considered it for environmental allergies but hates needles and can't fit a weekly visit in his schedule either.

I hope you find a workable solution.

Edited by zoobie

PWDs are substantial sized dogs. Also giant schnauzers, standard poodles, and Wheaten terriers can be lower allergy triggering dogs that are good sized. I like bigger dogs too, but the symptoms you listed don't sound sustainable. I'd worry what long term damage you could be doing putting your body under such stress.

Get rid of carpet wherever dog will be and in your bedroom; keep dog off any soft furniture you sit on and out of your bedroom; frequent non-drying baths (HyLyt is great!) for the dog; avoid touching the dog and shower after you do; try a nasal allergy drug such as Flonase as well as Zyrtec (Doctor of course); keep dog out of the car as much as possible and crate him to limit dander spreading when he's going to the vet. My family member couldn't commit to weekly allergy clinic visits for shots for several reasons. She had to rehome their cats, replace furniture, scrub walls, replace carpet and padding, etc. DH has considered it for environmental allergies but hates needles and can't fit a weekly visit in his schedule either.

I hope you find a workable solution.

We don't even have carpet in the living area Obi is allowed in :( The entire first floor of home (the only one the dogs are allowed on) is hardwood. I sweep/vacuum/mop the hardwoods daily as it is. No dogs allowed in our bedroom either. 

I didn't realize that the allergy shots were weekly. I couldn't commit to that either (because of distance and the number of therapies and other doctor's appointments for the children). Are they always weekly or does that vary by person?

I'm not sure why this allergy happened. I freakin' hate it. I know I'm being less-than-friendly about suggestions to re-home and I'm so sorry for that. I'm just heartbroken because the "no dogs in bedroom," "vacuum carpets regularly," "don't touch the dog" suggestions are all things I'm already doing - but, still, the only time I have relief from the allergy is when I'm away from home for hours.

• Like 1

In addition to the other responses above, I have found that the quality of the air purifier also matters. The best ones I have found are from Mission Allergy.

Also, eliminate as many other allergens as possible, since they can contribute to your overall reaction. I have pollen and dust mite allergies. Casings for pillows and mattresses that are dust mite proof helped me as well. Basically, I allergy-proofed my bedroom as much as possible.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why this allergy happened. I freakin' hate it. I know I'm being less-than-friendly about suggestions to re-home and I'm so sorry for that. I'm just heartbroken because the "no dogs in bedroom," "vacuum carpets regularly," "don't touch the dog" suggestions are all things I'm already doing - but, still, the only time I have relief from the allergy is when I'm away from home for hours.

Its a tough spot to be in. You clearly love this animal. Do you have a family friend or relative who would be willing to take your dog in for several weeks? You could still see him, but you wouldn't have to live with him while you seek a sustainable solution to your problem

I guess I'm not sure why you would think I rank it up there with being there for myself, my kids, and my husband. I know I said that if I couldn't find a workable solution otherwise, I would re-home him. It's devastating to consider, but I would. To me, this definitely asserts that ultimately I prioritize caring for myself, my children, and my husband - I'm just not willing to throw the towel in if I haven't considered all other possible options.

I really do understand that it's difficult for a person who doesn't care for pets to understand. I feel similarly about cats :P

The other consideration in this situation is that we also have another dog - an elderly dog that cannot be re-homed (my husband has had her almost all of her 13 years). She is a much smaller breed, but definitely not an allergy-safe breed. We aren't willing to put down a dog who, while elderly, still seems to have a good quality of life, but whom we definitely could not easily "re-home."

Obi (Big Dog) would be easier if push came to shove, because he's under the age of 2, trained, and a wonderful, playful family dog from a strong working German Shepherd line - but the frail, aging Italian Greyhound? So what do we do? (Rhetorical question, lol) There is no easy answer here. This dog isn't just MY dog. He is loved by the children and my husband; we have raised him and loved him. There is no easy answer here. There isn't an answer that isn't going to require sacrifice on some level, from somebody (or more than one "somebody"). 

It wasn't meant passive agressively, but to cast some perspective on the situation. The way you stated it seemed...weird to me. I wasn't trying to be mean, but to me, its "a dog" and just that. I can appreciate that for you its "Dogs Name" [whatever the dogs name is. My point is that you see him/her as a family member. But from the outside looking in, you are putting yourself in harms way and medical distress over a dog. You are willing to spend days in allergy induced fogs/discomfort and miss out on participating in all the other wonderful parts of your life because you are trying to keep a dog that is making you too sick to enjoy anything.

I understand that the dog is a part of your happiness, but I can't wrap my head around caring so much that you rank it up there equally to being their for yourself, your kids and your spouse. Thats just me. Its not secret that I'm not a big fan of animals, so maybe my "animal indifference" showed in my other post. Its not an attack on you and it wasn't meant passive aggressively, no matter what I do or don't think based on the tiny bit of info that you shared in this thread--If it (can) work for you and your family, then hey, just ignore me, but the current situation just seems unbalanced to me. Its lose-lose. The dog is crated/isolated regularly and you're in need of constant medication which isn't currently effective You're both miserable.

The kids have a dog that they can't play with freely and a mom that is tired and medicated or in need of medication. Your husband has an allergy-riddled wife, and a dog that agitates the allergies in his wife...so on and so forth.

My remark about the allergy friendly breeds wasn't meant as "trade him in for an allergy-friendly model" just as since you said that you would try everything you could prior to actually rehoming him with another family, if it comes to rehoming the current dog, maybe you you can't have a big dog anymore, but maybe you can have a (small/medium) dog. I do not know what GSD stands for (German Shepard Dog?) but I know that an Obama is allergic to dogs and yet the family has one. Which dog they have? I don't know, but I now that they have one.

• Like 1

Its a tough spot to be in. You clearly love this animal. Do you have a family friend or relative who would be willing to take your dog in for several weeks? You could still see him, but you wouldn't have to live with him while you seek a sustainable solution to your problem

I wish I did! 

We are considering having him go to a trainer's GSD "boot camp." This trainer is a friend of ours and it was from him that we purchased our first GSD. The boot camp would be for several weeks, but I'm not sure what a sustainable solution is, honestly, if it's true that allergy shots require weekly allergy clinic visits. 

We don't even have carpet in the living area Obi is allowed in :( The entire first floor of home (the only one the dogs are allowed on) is hardwood. I sweep/vacuum/mop the hardwoods daily as it is. No dogs allowed in our bedroom either. 

I didn't realize that the allergy shots were weekly. I couldn't commit to that either (because of distance and the number of therapies and other doctor's appointments for the children). Are they always weekly or does that vary by person?

My son's pediatric pulmonologist offered us a different kind of allergy shots.  I can't remember the specific name, but they were daily shots, but you gave them to yourself at home.  I think he said you have to go in every few weeks (or months? I can't remember) to check dosages, but you just pick them up at the pharmacy.  I wish I remembered more, but did want to mention that there ARE other options in allergy shots than weekly.

My son's pediatric pulmonologist offered us a different kind of allergy shots.  I can't remember the specific name, but they were daily shots, but you gave them to yourself at home.  I think he said you have to go in every few weeks (or months? I can't remember) to check dosages, but you just pick them up at the pharmacy.  I wish I remembered more, but did want to mention that there ARE other options in allergy shots than weekly.

Well that would be wonderful. I can commit to going in every few weeks or months! I'm supposed to start seeing a new GP week after next, so I can ask him about it.

Although, if it's available through a regular allergy clinic, I could just call and make an appointment for formal testing and go through the allergy clinic. My insurance doesn't require a referral, so unless the clinic itself does, it could certainly move the process along more quickly.

If it were me, I'd make the dog live outside. If that wasn't an option, I'd try allergy shots, air purification, limit areas of the house where the doggie can go, vacuum everyday, and wash hands anytime they come into contact with the dog or other things that have had contact with him.

I have very bad dog dander and saliva allergies. I have always had hypoallergenic dogs with hair and not fur. Alaskan Malamutes are large and wonderful dogs that have hair instead of fur. They are not easy to train but if you put in the time, you won't regret it. Standard poodles make great pets and they are large, too.

I had roommates in college that had dogs I was allergic to. I kept my allergic reactions to a minimum by vacuuming daily, keeping an air purifier in my room and never letting the dogs in my room. I couldn't really enjoy the communal areas of the house because of all the dog fur.

They are 7 - 10 days until you are built up to a certain point and then you can be trained for home injection and you can do it yourself.

Stefanie

Did the allergy start after you moved? Could it be something in your new house instead of Obi? Or is it obviously worse when you're around him? It's possible you are allergic to GSDs and not whatever breed the older doggie is, unless of course that make it worse too. You obviously love your dogs very much. :(