Menu

No more AAS....spelling recommendations

jackson'smama

As much as I'd love to love it, AAS isn't working for us. Not that it isn't great, I just don't think my kids need all the letter tile and card stuff. I desperately need a solid straightforward program. I have a k, 3rd, and 5th grader.

Fwiw, we are on level 3... I started later with my oldest and I combine the oldest two.

Help!

• Like 1

I wouldn't do any spelling with the K kiddo.

I use this with my 9yo.  I refomatted the old Essentials of Spelling to make it.  I have Grade 3 done too.  (Grade 4 is coming soon...we are trial running it now.)

You can use the review word sections as a placement test to see where they need to start.  Use what you've learned from AAS to teach these words. The bolded words are the new words, and there are about 2 new words a day. You can put the old original on a kindle and just do lessons in a spiral notebook and have spelling done for 17 cents.  I added to the lessons in the books I reformatted, combining cursive handwriting with spelling lessons.  That may or may not work for you.

Either way, I love the way the words are broken into short lists with several sentence dictations for review as you go along.

• Like 1

4blessingmom,

I can't seem to get the link of samples to work. How long do the spelling lessons take daily? Are they built around spelling rules? Easy to use with multiple kids/larger family? Thank you for sharing this info, it seems like it might be wonderful for us.

Homeschooling mama of 4... Preschool 3, preschool 4, 1st, and 2nd:)

Edited by sunshineslp

Sequential Spelling! Bonus you can get the dvd and they can type OR write the words.

Spelling workout did not work for us (even with adding in Spelling City website with custom lists) as it seemed too much like busy work, whereas SS (Sequential Spelling) JUST focuses on the word patterns/spellings.

I have seen marked improvement in spelling OUTSIDE of spelling, iykwim.

Although my kids are not always fans of the sentences they use with the words (neither am I really). :lol:

• Like 1

4blessingmom,

I can't seem to get the link of samples to work. How long do the spelling lessons take daily? Are they built around spelling rules? Easy to use with multiple kids/larger family? Thank you for sharing this info, it seems like it might be wonderful for us.

Homeschooling mama of 4... Preschool 3, preschool 4, 1st, and 2nd:)

The lessons are 15-20min. Each lesson requires teacher attention, but no planning. So it's easy in the sense that it's all there, open & go, 15min and it's done.

They are not built around the spelling rules like AAS or Spalding.  

Grade 2 focuses on 3 main things; cursive, visualization techniques vital for successful spelling, and logically using the phonograms.  The phonogram work is isolated purposefully to help the student decide which phonogram makes what sound.  Ex. I avoid having a 2nd grader choose between 'ou' and 'ow' in the word lists where they spell independently.  Knowing which phonogram is used for the /ow/ sound is a skill for visual memory. When spelling independently, they might choose between ee, er, ai and ay.  They can learn that ai and ay say the same sound, but ay is found at the end of the word and ai is in the middle.  

So there are rules in there from the start, but the rules are not the focus.

Grade 3 focuses on learning to break words up into sounds (phonograms) and morphemes (bits of meaning). We keep cursive fresh, but it isn't the focus.  Visualization is still a main focus.  Reviewing past words through sentence dictation is half of the lesson.  Grade 3 stretches the ability to write a sentence from dictation. Grade 3 takes the supplementary words given throughout the original grade 2 & 3 to use as practice for alphabetizing.  Homophones are thrown into the mix on alphabetizing days, and used for sentence composing. I think that's the best way to learn bare from bear and flower from flour, etc...and we are stretching kids to compose a sentence, but with given words to make the creative bit less daunting.

Grade 4 will shift again, and this time we are building a spelling notebook complete with an appendix for rules and patterns. I've been using this and tweaking at home recently.  I want to keep this stage a bit more open-ended as far as word lists go.  We'll keep the "essential" words, but add space for words from the child's other work to use as needed.  I expect to have a complete Grade 4 up this summer.

The links at the bottom of this blog post work.  You have to type 0 in for the price to "purchase" the samples. hth.

I don't use the cards or tiles for AAS either and my DD's are both doing fine (older one is on level 7 and younger one is on level 2). We just skip those parts and do them orally or on paper or just by looking at the teacher's manual together. Just in case you don't want to buy another program and want to modify what you have. :)

• Like 1

We use AAS and so far I really like it. It's almost exactly what I'm looking for. I also have HTTS and like it for extra practice, hold us over till we get another level, etc. I like AAS better and it can be used without all the extra parts. HTTS doesn't have as "kid friendly/fun" explanations that I enjoy as do my kids.

(How do you do AAS without the tiles and the cards? I can't wrap my brain around it.)

I second Rod and Staff. We needed something that wasn't teacher intensive.

DS and I sit across the table from each other. He has a small whiteboard in front of him, and whenever the guide says to build a word with tiles, I just write it on the whiteboard. He is amused by the fact that I can write upside down...but if I couldn't, I could sit beside him or write it right side up and then turn it around for him. The only reason I don't sit beside him is that I don't want him to peek at the guide, lol!

If it says to have the student build a word with tiles, he writes it on the whiteboard. Added advantage: he enjoys wiping the board clean after writing. :)

When it has a list of words/phrases/sentences to write, he writes them on paper. And I require good penmanship for this. Not necessarily for other things, but for this.

I do pull out the cards when it says to read or review a key card (is that what they are called?) or may use them when new phonograms are introduced, but the cards don't bother me as much as the tiles. I hated the tiles and so did my kid!

I agree though about the teacher-intensiveness of it. That I do not like, but it seems to be working ok so I'm sticking with it at least for now.

• Like 2

DS and I sit across the table from each other. He has a small whiteboard in front of him, and whenever the guide says to build a word with tiles, I just write it on the whiteboard. He is amused by the fact that I can write upside down...but if I couldn't, I could sit beside him or write it right side up and then turn it around for him. The only reason I don't sit beside him is that I don't want him to peek at the guide, lol!

If it says to have the student build a word with tiles, he writes it on the whiteboard. Added advantage: he enjoys wiping the board clean after writing. :)

When it has a list of words/phrases/sentences to write, he writes them on paper. And I require good penmanship for this. Not necessarily for other things, but for this.

I do pull out the cards when it says to read or review a key card (is that what they are called?) or may use them when new phonograms are introduced, but the cards don't bother me as much as the tiles. I hated the tiles and so did my kid!

I agree though about the teacher-intensiveness of it. That I do not like, but it seems to be working ok so I'm sticking with it at least for now.

Thanks! My toddler was obsessed with the tiles, so spelling didn't get done frequently enough.

(How do you do AAS without the tiles and the cards? I can't wrap my brain around it.)

I second Rod and Staff. We needed something that wasn't teacher intensive.

We just use paper and pencil. Sometimes I have them look at the teacher's guide with me to illustrate a concept with the tiles. We do use the cards with my youngest in level 2, but just for a few minutes of daily review. And never in any of the levels have I used the green word cards, just the yellow phonogram and red sound and blue key cards.

We use Sequential Spelling. It's quick, to the point, & works well for my VPD/SSS kids.

We used AAS for a while, & the rules are great, but my eldest VPD boy said he needed more words for practice so I ended up, for a while, combining some rules of AAS with SS lessons..

Now we just do SS straight up.