Menu

Are introspective, analytical people naturally more prone to depression?

J-rap

In my experience, they are.  So are they doomed to a life of semi-depression then?

Most (but not all) very introspective/analytical type people that I personally know do seem to be more prone to depression or mood cycles, even ones who have a strong faith.

I've always been intrigued by personality-types, and I guess I happen to be involved with people like this so I think about it a lot.  It does make sense that people who wonder a lot about a precise meaning of life and trying to make sense of it all would also be more serious and possibly heavy-hearted.

• Like 5

I don't know a lot about clinical depression.

I do think the introspective people I know seek meaning and are more likely to go through moods and gloom, than those who are basically superficial in their thoughts and moods. That is a generalization and I think most people have parts of both in them, but as a whole, looking at averages, if we are talking about non-clinical depression, I think so.

However, I'm not sure if this transfers to the "my whole body hurts and I can't move out of bed, I literally can't make my brain tell my legs to do that" depression that I have seen in clinical depression of relatives.

• Like 5

Could be. "Deep thinkers" grapple more with life's issues, inconsistencies and struggles. But true depression is not an inevitable result. I would describe myself as introverted and more analytical than not. Faith does help me, so does knowing not to let my thought patterns slip into "all or nothing" or plain negative thinking.

• Like 1

Rumination - turning things over and over in the mind - has a negative effect.

I don't know that introspection and being analytical are quite the same things as rumination.

I can see that rumination as in not finding a solution or even a path on which to start - incrementally if not an outright solution - would add to a feeling of hopelessness and being out of control and this typically sparks anxiety.

• Like 3

I agree with Tsuga. Maybe they are broodier, but only in comparison with the chipper Zumba leader next door, lol

I think it's also possible to be introspective and yet extroverted or introspective and optimistic. I've known and am close to some of both types. I actually am one of those types. But you wouldn't necessarily peg me as such unless you were very, very close to me. I think the dark, broody, introspective introverted types stick out more because we expect that. Kind of like how people have stories about the weird homeschoolers but don't know any normal ones (because they blend in too well)

• Like 9

Faith helps me a lot. You can't analyze faith, or it wouldn't be faith, so it is a place I can let go. Many of the introverts I know have much smaller communities when compared to the extroverts - not lesser communities, but just fewer actual people/events/physical size. I think that can contribute to depression as well. It is easier to get stuck in the gloom once it takes hold with fewer nudges out.

• Like 3

I consider myself analytical, but not often introspective; it's just not my personality. I don't think the two necessarily go together. I also don't think the fact that I'm not introspective means I'm superficial. I feel things deeply, read widely and often, and do my best to consider my actions carefully, but once I've made a decision, I don't dwell on the "what ifs". I've found it doesn't do much good and only leads to discontent.

I think Sadie's point on rumination is correct for depressive episodes. 

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 1

Maybe?

I've suffered from depression a few times - serious depression runs in my family, and brooding over things was something that was related for me.  I would go so far as to say learning how to "brood better" is a major reason I'm much more stable now.  So, if a person doesn't manage to learn that for some reason, I can see that could be an ongoing problem.  On the other hand, I can see people who ruminate might over time be more likely to learn to manage brooding thoughts than someone who tended not to examine the inner self.

I also think as someone mentioned above, it may be that introverts in some situations will be less likely to have robust support systems.  If, say, they've had to move away from family or a circle of close friends developed over time, and the new community is not that easy to build relationships in - and that is a very common situation these days.  It can take us longer to build up a new network even under good conditions, and that network is a major factor in depression.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

Faith helps me a lot. You can't analyze faith, or it wouldn't be faith, 

Sure you can! (lol) You can agonize over the correct balance of faith/ works and wonder if you're sinning and not knowing it. So fun! I'm sort of joking, but yes, I am quite the introspective, analytical prone-to-depression introvert. I get INFJ on the personality tests.

What helped me about faith (I became a Christian as an adult) is not being surprised about things in the world being so far from what they're supposed to be. Understanding that we live in a fallen world has helped me. 

• Like 4

Not in my experience. The very introspective analytical introverts in my life are more emotionally stable than the outgoing, emotional, extroverts.

Depression as an illness can hit the most upbeat, extroverted, on the surface easygoing and happy-appearing, person.

And sometimes becoming more introspective and analytical can be the deciding element of the therapy that helps the person get well.

ETA: It is important not to mistake a withdrawn, quiet, moody personality for depression - and in turn not to assume that a smiling, outgoing person who seems happy is not suffering from depression. The latter is a dangerous misconception.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I can see that rumination as in not finding a solution or even a path on which to start - incrementally if not an outright solution - would add to a feeling of hopelessness and being out of control and this typically sparks anxiety.

I agree.

For some, rumination also involves thinking about every choice, decision, or action before, during and after the choice, decision, or action was made.  It involves thinking about all other possible or probable outcomes, how things could have/ should have/ would have been if only...it involves rethinking an analyzing decisions from 10, 15, or 20 years ago.  Rumination keeps one living in the past.

I agree that it's a mistake to conflate rumination with "introspection" or "analysis". However, rumination is a symptom of an illness, not a personality trait (that might precede the illness) so I'm not sure how that answers your question at all.

I'm introspective and tend to be self aware -- so I know that I have both positive and unhelpful personal traits. If I should happen to disclose one of my 'flaws' it doesn't actually mean that I'm down on myself... but such a comment might be confused in a social context as an expression of depression. I also analyze my own actions with a view towards self-improvement, but without beating myself up. (I'm aware enough to know that people beating themselves up has an extremely low probability of accomplishing their actual goals.)

Similarly, in my analytical (dispassionate) way I can be well aware that the world is filled with unmet needs, personal catastrophe, widespread illness, death, crime, malice, prejudice, war and all kinds of horrible things. In that way, I can also sound (maybe?) hopeless (?) or negative (?) or down (?) about life in general... But to me, that's not me saying, "There's more bad than good in the world, and I hate being here." It's me accurately assessing how the world *is* -- and what it tends to experience on an ongoing basis. It's the reason that the 'latest greatest' catastrophe in the news (or in my social circle) rarely phases me or grieves me in a personal way.

So, perhaps, the social cues of introspective or analytical people are mis-cuing others in their social circles: leading bystanders to believe we are experiencing 'negative emotions' (that lead to our comments) instead of a less emotional process that leads to those comments by a different path.

My MIL often tries to offer me comfort about my 'worries'. I honestly can't remember the last time I felt the emotion called 'worry'. I don't feel distress when I forecast the future, imagine possible problems, and make plans to take the best available path to avoid them. I'm not worrying, I'm planning. I'm not 'worried that my kids will grow up with bad eating habits'... I'm just aware that there are good and bad practices, and that I can make good habits more likely by making good choices during their childhoods. I'm not worried about my car: I just take care of it. I'm not worried about public schools, I just think homeschooling is a superior choice in some circumstances... etc.

But I can see how people might project a negative inner life onto me. I'm working on my communication style to try and give a better impression, but, for the most part people are likely to assume that all 'others' inner lives are much like one's own. (They think more about how they would feel than about what I'm telling them about my feelings.)

I have two "ruminators" in my home and yes I think they are prone to depression.  I also think that the introspective people I've known are more prone to drug and alcohol abuse.  I can't quote the study, but I read that a major indicator for depression is a lack of community involvement.  It's also true for people in AA- a big reason it works for some people is because it provides a system of behavior as well as a group of supportive people to reinforce the behavior.  I think a church or social group can provide a similar system for those not suffering form alcoholism.

My husband and son both need lots of alone time, but I do go out of my way to make sure that they have resources outside of themselves for dealing with their big questions and issues. 

The book The Child Whisperer was enormously helpful to me in understanding different "types".

IMO, people who use their analytical skills introspectively ruminating over what has already happened in the past or what might happen in the future are more prone to depression than people who can live in the present without assigning a great deal of judgment to events are happier in general.