Menu

Pulling middle dd out of PS tomorrow...

For those of you not familiar with my saga this dd has some 'issues' due to her thyroid not working (similar to being bi-polar). She has attended PS since 6th grade--now in 10th. While at PS she has been an honors student but she has maintained a HIGH amount of personal stress---lots of counseling/therapy. She was asking to be homeschooled again and until the day before school started we thought she would be--but she changed her mind (I think DH may have pushed her a bit). She completed a month of summer band and 3 weeks of school. Her grades are all high A's but her stress level is near 'suicidal' once again. I prefer to have my dd alive--so she is coming home for the rest of high school. I'll be checking her out for good in the morning.

Luckily I have/had a 'plan' in place for her academics. Let me know if you have any ideas/suggestions. My older dd has some learning differences--and her education is NOT college prep--but this dd is very gifted and is leaning towards going 'Pre-Med' in college.

Math: Lial Intermediate Algebra (because I have it and it is good)

Science: Honors Chemistry (purchased through Kolbe)

Spanish: OSU (even though DH and I graduated from OU:tongue_smilie:)

World History SUGGESTIONS PLEASE (must be secular for this dd)

Literature (Lightning Lit American)

Writing and Grammar (review) I have several programs here at home.

Vocabulary (she needs a good program as it is a weak area)---SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

She is an avid bike-rider and jogger so PE is not a problem

We do not have access to a homeschool band--or any co-ops (life in the boonies...) but she will keep up with her clarinet and wants to start piano lessons back up. She has a hobby of composing music and shows promise!

I'll have her start an SAT prep program in the spring...

She will be able to take classes at the 'local' (45 minute drive) community college next fall.

Youngest dd will most likely stay in PS this year--great teacher and I like the program. Next year is questionable...

prayers for you and for your dd. For World History (secular), I can't think of anything better than Spielvogel's World History: A Human Odyssey. It's a bit out-of-date, since the last text I found was published in 1999. You could also try his more advanced Western Civilization text and supplement the reading with books and materials on other civilizations not directly covered in Western Civilization, such as South America, Africa, and the Far East.

For vocabulary, I would recommend either Vocabulary from the Classical Roots or Wordly Wise. We did both; one book of VCR in the fall, and one book of Wordly Wise in the spring. Both are secular. Or, you might try Vocabulary for the College Bound Student. Many on these boards have used this book with great success.

Best wishes and :grouphug: to you and your dd.

First hugs to you and your dd, and extra kudos for doing the right thing. Sometimes the right thing is the hardest thing so I applaud your courage.

Now, onto academics. First, for history my dd is using A History of World Societies (by McKay, Hill, Buckler & Ebrey). She is in her second year of this book (taking the online class via Scholar's Online). I really like this book and it's definitely secular. Another option: go to the College AP website and see what books are being used for the AP classes in World History. Those, too, will be challenging and she doesn't have to take the AP test afterwards (perhaps shoot for the SAT-World History?)

For vocabulary, we've used Vocabulary from Classical Roots (on our third year now - dd will be finishing it this year). I've really liked this series. Its easily done by the student with little or no help from you. From here, I plan on having my use Vocabulary for the High School Student, followed by Vocabulary for the College Bound Student. I haven't used either of these, but they come highly recommended on this board, too.

For stress, I highly recommend a yoga program. There's a 30 minute yoga program that comes on television every day: Namaste Yoga. Have her start with that. It's a great stress reliever.

By the way, what does OSU stand for? Is that Ohio State or Oklahoma State?

HTH.

More hugs coming your way, Jann.

I wish to second the comments on Vocab from Classical Roots and Spielvogel. An alternate western civ text to consider is Kagan's text The Western Heritage which my son uses in his CC class. It would be considered an AP text, but I think that, like Spielvogel, it is highly readable. Also, you can find both of these western civ texts cheaply in older editions. There are online activities (quizzes, suggested essay questions) that support the texts at the publishers' sites.

If you need additional support, you know where to find us!

Jane

Check with the school you are leaving to see if she can still continue with the band. Many public -- and private! -- schools not only permit homeschool students to participate in their music programs, but are eagerly looking to include additional students. If the school you are leaving does not allow that, check out other schools in your area.

Or, if that doesn't pan out, how about a citywide junior symphonic orchestra program? Or joining with several other students interested in creating a trio/quartet/sextet and practicing together and playing a concert at several venues throughout the year (nursing home, local shopping mall at Christmas time, for a wedding, at an weekend arts fair, etc.). I've seen/heard some *wonderful* high school string quartets and small jazz band groups playing for donations at our city's local street fair! : )

Also, if she's interested in piano/keyboard and in composing, check out the computer software Garage Band. Very reasonably priced (in fact, you may be able to download a simple version of it for free). It is a GREAT little program for composing music! It has many pre-recorded tracks you can mix and alter, plus you have an option for creating your own tracks. Here are links to learn more:

- Wikipedia = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GarageBand

- Garage Band for Mac = http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/

- Garage Band type software for PC = http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/maudios-session-garageband-for-the-pc-179175.php

Also, seconding the history ideas of Spielvogel's Human Odyssey and/or Teaching Company video/DVD course. Simple, thorough, secular. If you need quizzes/tests, you can use the short review questions within each chapter and the 2-page review at the end of each chapter as quizz/test sources.

BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Jann,

I don't have any advice to offer but want to encourage you anyway. I was taken aback by your mentioning that your daughter's bipolar symptoms are thyroid related. I'm actually dx'd bipolar but I KNOW it is thyroid related. I can tell when my thyroid is crashing (despite medication) just from symptoms. I'll spare you details. I'm sure you have dealt with similar.

Anyway, hope y'all can get dd stabilized and I know you can do a good job getting her educated :)

Jann,

Totally spinning off your original question here, but having a 16 yos that suffers from severe anxiety combined with extremely high intelligence that thinks he wants to major in pre-med (though we aren't encouraging him in this direction at all)........

Have you thought about how she will cope in college in such a competitive, high-demand major? I am concerned that if our ds could even get accepted into such a demanding major that it would push him beyond his coping abilities emotionally. I think he would be much better suited to research vs. high pressure on-demand crisis situations that he would endure in clinical rotations.

Just wondering where your thoughts might have travelled that we haven't considered.

Jann,

Totally spinning off your original question here, but having a 16 yos that suffers from severe anxiety combined with extremely high intelligence that thinks he wants to major in pre-med (though we aren't encouraging him in this direction at all)........

Have you thought about how she will cope in college in such a competitive, high-demand major? I am concerned that if our ds could even get accepted into such a demanding major that it would push him beyond his coping abilities emotionally. I think he would be much better suited to research vs. high pressure on-demand crisis situations that he would endure in clinical rotations.

Just wondering where your thoughts might have travelled that we haven't considered.

Actually, Jann, I was thinking some similar thoughts. I have been with my dh from biology degree through med/residency etc. Even though I don't think it is good to make any decisions about the future now, I think that finding stress outlets (someone mentioned yoga) is a number one priority no matter what your dd's future career. I think it is even more important than academics for your dd at this point.

My dh went to a relatively small med school, but the common theme among those that dropped out was stress. The stress that finished most of them off was not the clinical rotations, but the first two years of academics. I would suspect that the first 2 yrs weren't harder than clinicals. Those people wouldn't have made it through regardless. They just didn't make it to that point due to the order of med school madness.

You probably know more about what would help your dd through stressful times than I. I know that some of the things that helped my dh are an outside hobby, a sense of humor and a good work ethic.

I wish you the best in the upcoming school year.

Holly

This is the university level book, but dd (also in 10th) is a good reader and finds it fine. We are doing 1/4 of it each year. It's probably not what you want if you plan to do all of world history in one year. There are several different versions (based on the time period covered). We have the complete edition--pre-history to present. We add in DVD's from the library and do about 1 research/writing project per chapter.

My highly stressing son (but mom, I missed an answer on the biology test; I'm worthless--and off we go on my lectures about the "one perfect Person...") loves Trisms history--there's an ancients, middle ages/rennaissance, etc...and it combines quite a bit of research with historical readings (to say nothing of IEW for writing). Great fun for him.

We're just back from our first AAA hockey tournament in MN; his team made it to the championship game, but we lost (MN Blades 5; Firebirds 3). He works so hard as a hockey goalie that I like to find academic programs that are less stressful for him...

You might try working thru an SAT vocab book all year.

I second (third? fourth? :D) Spielvogel's Western Civ, or any of the AP history books (Glencoe is pretty strong, too). Spielvogel is not very strong in 20th cent history, tho, so I"d supplement with Martin Gilbert's 20th cent series. It's year by year, and has 3 volumes. Very good, from a British perspective, and secular.

Two little suggestions for World History (besides Spielvogel, which we also use): The Creators and The Discoverers by Daniel Boorstin, both of which treat history through significant individuals. Both very long but very enjoyable.

Also, Hewitt Homeschooling has two World Lit courses (each a semester). While I don't totally agree with some of their suggestions (their biography suggestions, in particular, could be a little stronger. I mean, I'd choose Gandhi over Jihan Sadat.) the material is pretty good and altho they're a "Christian" worldview company, and I look for strictly secular, I had no trouble with it.

I hope things go well for your daughter. Great challenges, great abilities.

Danielle