Menu

DS can't write but supposedly he is English strong

It is exactly as odd as it sounds.  He always tests in the top 5% nationally in anything english/reading/or writing (mulitple choice) and he has incredible with reading comprehension, but if he has to write (physically) a paper, short answer questions, etc then it is horrible, awful, and unacceptable for a 9th grader.  It is like he knows what to do but he can't do it.  I wish I could explain more.  He, in general, does not like expressing thoughts, feeling, and opinions.  Words just don't come easy to him.  Yet, according to standardized testing, he knows what to do and he looks incredibly strong in English.  So what's a mom to do??

Thanks for any thoughts :)

Edited by Charleigh

In AP English, I was definitely stronger in the multiple choice section than with essays (I was very limited in my ability to analyze literature on my own - I couldn't usually come up with the answer myself, but I could recognize it when I saw it).  I think it is generally easier to recognize the right answer (as you do with multiple choice) than to generate the answer yourself, in your own words - there's a lot more thinking involved in sorting and organizing all the information in your head and then putting it all into logical, coherent sentences. 

How does he do with narration and dictation, and with summarizing and outlining? 

Edited by forty-two

Sounds like my son. Tested in top 1%, but couldn't get words from his brain to paper. He said he couldn't translate the idea/image into words. (He also tests dyslexic, dysgraphic with processing speed issues).

I would scribe everything and he'd be in tears trying to figure out what to say. What was fantastic for him was Brave Writer classes. It broke it down into pieces and the teachers were very good about hand-holding and being encouraging. I'm impressed with how far he has come in writing (all thanks to Brave Writer). He is still incredibly slow, but he has learned the process and the output is great.

Edited by Julie of KY
  • Like 1

ACT thought my dd#1 was "college ready" in English & Reading at 13. I laugh at them.  :smilielol5:

She has always been "allergic to the pencil." We'll be working on her writing skills until the day she graduates. She has to write short stuff, longer papers, and learn more skills about writing all the time. It is  :banghead:  and :ack2: for me. 

Someday, she'll have to write in one of her beloved foreign languages and she'll be happy to do so ... for someone other than me. I'm just prepping her for that day. Good luck!

• Like 3

I'm going to reiterate the question, how does he do with narration, dictation, or typing? Is it just physically writing, or is it as bad typing, or can he not express orally well either (in a more organized/formal way rather than just casual conversation).

You could try getting him Dragon and having him dictate rough drafts, then he just has to edit?

I'm going to reiterate the question, how does he do with narration, dictation, or typing? Is it just physically writing, or is it as bad typing, or can he not express orally well either (in a more organized/formal way rather than just casual conversation).

You could try getting him Dragon and having him dictate rough drafts, then he just has to edit?

I'm just not sure.  Something about how he writes makes it look physically painful, ha.  At the same time, his thoughts still aren't organized that great in typed essays either.  He is doing better now that a good bit of his work is ipad or typed.  There still seems (at least to me) some disconnect in what he knows and how he applies it.

Edited by Charleigh

meh, it depends.  He is capable of verbally expressing himself but he doesn't like to say much. He doesn't like to use too many words :toetap05:

Can he speak in ways that are grammatically correct and well-organized?  (Does he have a solid understanding of sentence structure, etc.?)  In some of my experience, I've learned that the brain works a little differently when it is reading a sentence and recognizing if it's grammatically correct, well-structured, etc., but can have a much more difficult time coming up with the correct structure themselves, from scratch.  Usually the oral ability to do this aligns pretty closely with the written ability.  So if he has trouble structuring his words verbally, then I'd probably back up a bit and work at sentence structure.  

Anyway, just a thought!

I haven't read all the replies, so maybe this is a repeat, but Writing Aids, the book/CD that is used with the Tapestry of Grace curriculum is wonderful.  It breaks down everything each week into small, manageable steps.  One of the things I love about them is their use and provision of "graphic organizers."  These are great for breaking down writing topics into smaller categories.  And it is inexpensive! Only $25 for the book/CD.  If you don't use Tapestry of Grace curriculum, you would need to come up with the topics (maybe to go along with what you are studying).  But the program can work with any curriculum.