Menu

wasted year of science?

So, I am afraid I have "wasted" my 9th grader's credit for science (and possibly social studies) this year. 

We moved to a new state and joined a co-op (that I felt I had done my homework on).  Being an academic co-op, the science class for this year (for ALL high school) was Human Anatomy.   The teacher chose Apologia's Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy & Physiology with (sparse) supplementing from the Kaplan coloring book.  I don't know that I would have chosen that book for high school credit, but I think there were students across a wide range of interest and ability in the class.  In addition to the book, they were doing what they called a "block schedule."  They "crammed" Anatomy into 2 hours a week in class and covered 2 weeks of material in 1 week at home.  Then they switched to Geography (I guess the social studies credit) for the second semester.  It's difficult to explain, but it was too much and not enough at the same time. 

Anyway, we are not going to continue this co-op (for several reasons), but I am left with what to do for science (and a social studies credit, really) for my 9th grader with half a year left.  He really didn't retain the information from that class (it was a very stressful, disorganized situation) despite what I think is a book meant for younger students.   

What would you do? 

I'd pick something for anatomy and physiology (or any other science) and continue at home at your own pace. In public school, kids still get credit for a bad teacher/bad situation so I'd do the same. I wouldn't try to cram a full year into the spring, but I would try to go ahead and supplement to round out a credit. Maybe get some Teaching Company videos on the subject or start another book on anatomy and physiology (can avoid a textbook if you want).

• Like 6

Are you talking about the elementary level Apologia book? I really like that book.

This is what I might do: Choose a biology text and skip all the human anatomy sections. At the end of the year, just call it Biology on your transcript. 

Apologia doesn't have any human anatomy in their biology. I wouldn't stress about retention or if you are unable to finish all of the biology text as long as you cover a good chunk and the important topics.

• Like 6

Just move forward. Get a new curriculum, start from the beginning, and work through the summer.

My 9th grade DD is only on week 6 of her biology curriculum because we changed curric in the first semester and then we had a family emergency that consumed 4 weeks of our school year with out-of-town travel. I explained to DD that we would have to work through the first week of August to finish the curriculum. She understood.

• Like 1

For social studies credit, you have a couple of options.

The first is a get er done program or basic textbook.

The second possibility is to consider something very high interest and have them read a lot and/or watch videos but limit the output required. It's easier to limit output for social studies. I had to do that for history with my oldest. She learned to love history, and limiting the work she had to do for it did not hurt her at all. It's good to have secondary goals. Your secondary goal for this class, in addition to learning history and getting the social studies credit, could be do increase reading level and stamina for reading. So put the emphasis on reading. This is just an example, but it's an option for something in their area of interest.

• Like 2

I'd use CK12 and pick and choose about 10-12 chapters. My choices (not necessarily YOUR choices) would be Chapters 2-12 and 16 and 17.

http://www.ck12.org/book/CK-12-Biology/

You'll want to register as a teacher so you can get the answer key to the workbook and tests.

Jenn from this board made a creationist version of the textbook and added in labs and other resources. Even if you want a secular course, most of her videos and labs are usable and helpful:

http://guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/biology/biology_home.html

Good luck!

• Like 5

Many colleges in our state require three science classes that include a lab.  Did the anatomy class include labs?  Was it supposed to have counted as a whole year course (done in one semester, like in college)?

If it had labs and was a full-year course, you could still call it a year of science, but just know that you need to have at least two other science courses with labs.  If it didn't have labs, then know that you would need to have at least three other sciences with labs.  (Of course I'm generalizing -- you can check around a bit with some colleges and see what their requirements are.)

If you didn't feel like it was solid enough to be a class on its own, or if it didn't have labs, you could always just consider it a unit in Biology.  Begin Biology now, leave out the anatomy, and just go forward.  You could continue the class in the summer, or even next fall if necessary.

I wouldn't stress about it.  I'd probably just begin Biology now though, either way.

• Like 3

you've got 8 months till Sept. Assuming you were willing to do science through the summer you could easily fit a whole year of 'regular' 9th grade bio in there and just skip the anatomy portions.  We're pretty happy w/ the M&L text.  If you skipped the human anatomy portions it'd be not too difficult to fit in the time you've got.

• Like 3

you've got 8 months till Sept. Assuming you were willing to do science through the summer you could easily fit a whole year of 'regular' 9th grade bio in there and just skip the anatomy portions.  We're pretty happy w/ the M&L text.  If you skipped the human anatomy portions it'd be not too difficult to fit in the time you've got.

I agree. I like the Human Anatomy text (although I used it for youngers) and don't think Bio texts cover too much more. It's pretty thorough. I would get a Bio. text (we used Miller Levine, but Apologia would be fine) and work through it. I would make sure that you do the cell chapter, though, (at least read through it) as the cell is pretty important and may be covered in more depth in a standard book.
  • Like 1

So, I am afraid I have "wasted" my 9th grader's credit for science (and possibly social studies) this year. 

We … joined a co-op… the science class …  was… Apologia's Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy & Physiology with (sparse) supplementing from the Kaplan coloring book… they were doing what they called a "block schedule."  They "crammed" Anatomy into 2 hours a week in class and covered 2 weeks of material in 1 week at home.  Then they switched to Geography (I guess the social studies credit) for the second semester.

...we are not going to continue this co-op… but I am left with what to do for science (and a social studies credit, really) for my 9th grader with half a year left… What would you do? 

:grouphug: Hugs and encouragement -- no work is wasted! Just determine how much the co-op work realistically can count towards 1.0 credit of Science and keep moving forward. :)

From your description, it sounds like you can count the co-op as 0.5 credit of Science -- either as a stand-alone Anatomy class, or as part of a Biology credit (if you use a Biology text this semester). Other posters have given you great ideas of how to adapt a Biology text and finish up this year. That puts you right on track with Science for still accomplishing 3-4 credits during high school, no problem. And as a previous poster mentioned, that will certainly meet any high school graduation requirements or college admission requirements as far as amount of Science credits.

Very similar with the Social Sciences credits -- usually 2-4 credits are required, with 1 credit being American History, and if there are requirements on the other credits it is usually 1 credit of World History (or, 1/2 World History 1/2 World Geography), and 0.5 credit each of Gov't and Econ.

For Social Sciences, did you do anything during the fall semester -- either with the co-op or at home? If not, then decide with your DS which you both like to do as a 0.5 credit of Social Sciences: Geography? Economics? Government? All of those tend to be 0.5 credit courses.

Or, maybe decide to do the first half of 1 credit of History this semester, and just be "a-synchronous" in completing History halfway through 10th grade. Or, if you feel you need to complete a full credit of Social Sciences before 10th grade, double up the lessons and jam through a full credit of History in one semester. Or, extend/complete over the summer.

In other words, what "big picture" plans did you have for high school Social Sciences -- and what 0.5 credit would work well to plug into this spring semester to start working towards that big picture?

BEST of luck in your mid-year switch! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

If it were me.....

I'd do 1 semester of Biology with about 10 labs then I'd do Adv. or AP Bio with Lab in 11th or 12th grade to make sure my kid learned what needed to be learned. 

For the Soc. Sci. Credit I'd either do Power Basics Government or Geography for 1/2- full credit (based on hours spent/material covered) I'd probably add in Documentaries or get The Great Courses Lectures (we have the Plus which is worth the $20/month) to round it out for the full credit.

• Like 2

We moved to a new state and joined a co-op (that I felt I had done my homework on).  Being an academic co-op, the science class for this year (for ALL high school) was Human Anatomy.   The teacher chose Apologia's Exploring Creation with Human Anatomy & Physiology with (sparse) supplementing from the Kaplan coloring book.  I don't know that I would have chosen that book for high school credit, but I think there were students across a wide range of interest and ability in the class.  In addition to the book, they were doing what they called a "block schedule."  They "crammed" Anatomy into 2 hours a week in class and covered 2 weeks of material in 1 week at home.  Then they switched to Geography (I guess the social studies credit) for the second semester.  It's difficult to explain, but it was too much and not enough at the same time. 

Anyway, we are not going to continue this co-op (for several reasons), but I am left with what to do for science (and a social studies credit, really) for my 9th grader with half a year left.  He really didn't retain the information from that class (it was a very stressful, disorganized situation) despite what I think is a book meant for younger students.   

What would you do? 

I don't know, but I do know that this is not teaching and no one can possibly learn.  I would complain heartedly about this person.  That I do know.  That's beyond ridiculous.  So sorry.   

I'd use CK12 and pick and choose about 10-12 chapters. My choices (not necessarily YOUR choices) would be Chapters 2-12 and 16 and 17.

http://www.ck12.org/book/CK-12-Biology/

You'll want to register as a teacher so you can get the answer key to the workbook and tests.

Jenn from this board made a creationist version of the textbook and added in labs and other resources. Even if you want a secular course, most of her videos and labs are usable and helpful:

http://guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/biology/biology_home.html

Good luck!

my son's B&M charter school uses the CK12 Biology text (currently taking) - they do not use any other CK12 texts