Menu

Wow, I actually had a score at Goodwill

stephanier.1765

This year I've had a lot of good luck buying nice looking clothes at Goodwill for the winter. I almost feel too dressed up. No out of this world savings but I'm really happy with my new look.

Today however I really did find a golden egg and if it hadn't been for this board I never would have bought it. I've been keeping an eye out for sling bags ever since so many mentioned loving them for purses and today I found this one. I thought I over spent at $6 but since it was from LL Bean and looked basically new I went ahead and got it. I honestly had no idea how much they really cost (I was guessing $50) until just a few moments ago. Wow. Just no idea!

• Like 28

Don't you just love moments like that!  Good job, you! 

I had a moment like that earlier this year.

I wanted a long coat...long enough to cover my ankles.  I planned on spending maybe $80-100 new on it.  I was hopeful that I could get a deal, maybe on one that wasn't too well made, but was still long.  But before buying new,  I tried Community Aid (a Goodwill-type place.)  I grabbed every long coat from the coat section and piled them in the cart and started trying them all on, one-by-one--about 20 of them.  Most of them had something wrong with them, but there were a few that might work.  I was getting sweaty trying on all those coats!  (And hogging the fitting room.  Bad.)

I got to the next to last one.  I tried it on and it fit like a glove.  It was the perfect length and good and heavy--really heavy--so it would be super warm (I need warm).  One of the pockets was still loosely sewed shut.  Huh. Interesting.  I thought only expensive suit pockets were sewn shut when you bought them.  Well, I wasn't complaining because it confirmed that this pristine coat had been hardly worn if the pocket wasn't even opened.

It was $30 normally, but since it was 1/2 off Wednesday, I got it for $15.

It was a Calvin Klein coat.  I looked up online what the going rate is for their ankle-length coats: $348.  Gasp!  Gulp! 

I got a $350 coat for $15, practically brand new. 

I looooove finds like that. 

Edited by Garga
  • Like 22

My best was my Zojirushi bread machine for $5.   Top of the line!  I already had a breadmaker, but I knew it was a really good one.  After I made a loaf in the new machine, dh told me to ditch the old one.  Still working many years later.

• Like 5

It wasn't until I read all the great Goodwill stories here that I realized what a hidden treasure thrift stores truly are. A couple of years ago I redid the master bedroom and found all the furniture and most of the accent pieces at thrift stores. I had to refinish the big pieces but that was half the fun. Then this year, I needed a whole new winter wardrobe because I had lost so much weight that my last winter clothes were falling off and Goodwill came through again. And of course, all the clothes that no longer fit went straight to Goodwill.

The whole idea of shopping thrift stores (saving money and recycling used items) and donating to them (helping others as I've been helped) makes me feel good. :)

• Like 4