Menu

Birth certificate

Night Elf

I would like to replace a lost social security card and need a birth certificate. I have two. One is just paper and is not notarized. The other is a laminated card saying it's from the New Orleans Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Records. I don't know if either of these would be considered official like the SSN office might require. So I'm looking into getting a copy of my birth certificate from Louisiana. I can pay $9 for for a short-form birth certification card or $15 for a long-form birth certificate. Which would you choose? Would the card be the same as the one I already have do you think?

• Like 1

if the card is certified (which is possible) it should be all you need.

I've used the short form for passports with no problem.  the long form is usually not needed, unless you need alot more information.

eta: whatever you use needs to be certified.

my short-forms were not cards.  they were certified computer print outs of the key information of the birth certificates on file at the dept of vital records.

Edited by gardenmom5

Usually you need a certified birth certificate.  Which usually means it has some kind of seal.  The ones here have an embossed seal, but I don't know if that's standard or if other states do some sort of stamped seal.

What she said.  

They vary depending on location and era. Mine has a nearly invisible embossed seal and dh's has a signature indicating it's a certified copy.  Our kids' birth certificates range from having a gold paper seal to an embossed seal to a signature. 

The paper copy you have *might* be the same thing you order. Does it have any kind of seal on it or say anything about a certified copy?

I'm not sure specifically for S.S., but I'd go with the certified long-form just to be sure. I needed to apply for a tribal membership card for one of my DC. I mailed in the certified, short form NC birth certificate and it was denied and returned. I had to then order the long form. Once again, I'm not sure about S.S., but it didn't work for my DC's tribal enrollment.

• Like 1

No, my paper one is handwritten without a seal. I think it's something the hospital did when I was born. Then the laminated card I have looks official but there is no seal on it. I think when my mom ordered my birth certificate, the card is what they sent her. I'll just request both and see what they look like. I also read on the social security site that a physical card isn't necessary by most places, only the number is important. So I don't know if I need a new one or not. I want to be able to do all of this by mail though. To get my birth certificate, they want a copy of my driver's license.

I would probably just order the long one. The short one *might* be enough but the long one would surely work. 

Even if you don't need to replace your SS card, having a certified copy of your birth certificate on hand is a good idea.  You never know...you might want a passport one day!

Make sure your name is spelled absolutely correctly, not even one letter off, while you are ordering.  In fact, triple check all pertinent info.  I just discovered on Monday that the DPS will not accept my certified birth certificate as ID proof because one letter of my maiden last name is different on the birth certificate than on my other documents, even though my dad's last name is also on there and spelled correctly.  

Order the long one.  DD's short one was rejected for her driver's license, and my short one was not enough for a passport.  Many places are not accepting the short one anymore.  It's worth it just to get the long one.  Order more than one.

Edited by goldberry

No, my paper one is handwritten without a seal. I think it's something the hospital did when I was born. Then the laminated card I have looks official but there is no seal on it. I think when my mom ordered my birth certificate, the card is what they sent her. I'll just request both and see what they look like. I also read on the social security site that a physical card isn't necessary by most places, only the number is important. So I don't know if I need a new one or not. I want to be able to do all of this by mail though. To get my birth certificate, they want a copy of my driver's license.

I wouldn't bother with the short form card since that's likely what you already have. I'd get the long form and definitely order a replacement SS card. You need an actual card to open a bank account, get a job, etc.

Edited by Word Nerd

If there is an SSA office in your city, call their local phone number. If not, call the toll free national number.  I doubt they would accept anything laminated in plastic, but ask them.  I believe usually they are looking at special things on the paper, which cannot be seen if the paper is laminated. Possibly they will accept what you have. If you have a valid U.S. Passport they might accept that?

the hospital one is considered a souvenier - and it won't do squat.

the card - is it possible when your mom ordered a BC, she ordered the card?  states will certifiy them (my dad had one - I don't remember if it had the seal but it was certifed. I've got it someplace.  I've seen the options for ordering certified cards from vital records)  some people would get the card because they could carry it in their wallet.

I used the short form for my and my kids passports - and ds just used his short form to get a new SS card.  (within the last three months.) he may have also taken his passport - but I don't think he used it.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

<snip>

I used the short form for my and my kids passports - and ds just used his short form to get a new SS card.  (within the last three months.) he may have also taken his passport - but I don't think he used it.

If you have a valid U.S. Passport, there is a possibility SSA might accept that. Call SSA and ask if your U.S. Passport is acceptable, along with the other documents you have available.