Menu

Help! Need your HIGHEST QUALITY movie suggestions-early elementary age!

I need help finding HIGH QUALITY movies for early elementary age.

I'm very careful about content. We don't watch TV, and dc have seen VERY FEW movies. But I've decided to try letting dc watch a movie on the weekend after we finish our school week. I'm still not sure I really want to start this, but I just feel the need to try it (I need the break) provided they are very high quality movies.

It would be embarrassing to say what we've not seen of mainstream movies (we still have no idea what sponge bob is for instance). I just don't know which are good quality, so we stay away from nearly all of it.

We have a couple DVDs that we purchased from a company called "Feature Films for Families" that are REALLY good quality stories that teach values and my dd really likes them, so I'm going to go back to them. Other than that I mostly go for the classics - Wiz of Oz, Mary Poppins, etc. I also really like documentaries, we saw the Emperor Penguins and also "Chops" at a film festival last year (outstanding).

I need help to expand my VERY short list! Thank you for any ideas :D

You might consider looking at screenit.com, which has a vast list of movies and DVD's. This site tells you exactly what is in a movie - probably more than you want to know. :D It will let you know of any violence, imitative behavior,

frightening scenes, s*x/nudity, profanity, etc. This website has helped me a lot in making good choices for my family. I will say, though, that sometimes reading about a certain scene makes it seem worse than it really is. I have avoided certain movies because of what I read, then viewed them maybe a couple of years later, and didn't think it was a big deal. Better to be safe than sorry, methinks. ;)

As far as movie recommendations, I will have to think about this. I was very extreme when my kids were younger (no regrets, though), but my kids are older than yours, and I've loosened up a little over time, so I don't want to suggest something that would be inappropriate for your littles. There are definitely high quality movies out there. What are your children interested in?

Here are a few:

Shirley Temple Classics

Disney Classic Movies (Pollyanna, Chittty Chitty Bang Bang, etc.)

Sound of Music

National Velvet

On the newer side... Finding Nemo, Toy Story 1/2, Curious George, Cars, The Lion King

NEST Videos make quite a few movies (animated, etc.) with Bible Stories and Heroes, Scientists, etc.

I like the Max Lucado series (Hermie), my children love Veggie Tales (although I find them annoying... something about singing and talking vegetables is a bit too imaginative for me).

I don't know the ages of your children, but if older, I could say things like Facing the Giants, and Amazing Grace

These are just a few of the movies out there (a very small few). The Dove Foundation also has a long list of reccomendations and reviews.

Good luck!

My kids used to watch 'Homeward Bound' over and over. We knew it off by heart and it made me cry every time. I don't think there is anything objectionable in it and it is a lovely, lovely movie.

'The Brave Little Toaster' was another favourite.

'Gordy - The Talking Pig Who Made it Big' I remember one of my sons being very devoted to this movie.

Adventures of Milo and Otis, National Velvet (original with Taylor and Rooney), Born Free, Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, My Neighbor Totoro, Iron Giant, Toy Story 1 and 2, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Meet Me In St. Louis, The Little Princess (both recent version, which is GREAT and the Temple version...in fact, Shirley in about anything is safe and fairly good), Danny Kaye in The Court Jester, Sabu in Jungle Book (not the Disney cartoon! but the 1940's film).

I also like The Black Stallion but it does start with the death of the dad and the boy and horse getting stuck alone on a desert island after a ship sinks.

Oh, yes - Homeward Bound and Brave Little Toaster, like bumbledeb said!!!!

My kids enjoy the Digging for the Truth series with Josh Bernstein. I think he is only the host for seasons 1 -3; there is a new host now and we don't care for him as much.

Into the Unknown with Josh Bernstein is a new series on Discovery Channel that we also like. You can probably watch episodes online.

My favorite movie is Disney's Remember the Titans.

Microcosmos - a documentary with almost no words about bugs. Sounds weird but it's beautiful and there's a similar one about birds but I've forgotten the title.

Brave Little Toaster scared ds at that age but I can't remember why.

Look for movies by Miyazaki in a few years. He has wonderful movies which are just a bit old for your kids now. My Neighbour Totoro should be suitable now.

Does your pbs station show Mr. Rogers Neighborhood that you can record? It's the one thing I let my dd watch without reservation. Little Bear is also good. And you're gonna laugh, but my dd (now 9) STILL likes Mr. Rogers and Little Bear!!! They talk nicely to each other, and I'll tell you it does carry over.

Disney made a ton of family-friendly movies that you'll enjoy. It depends on whether you want a serious point or just serious fun. Some that we like:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

The Happiest Millionaire

Follow Me Boys

There are tons others though (Shaggy Dog, Flubber, etc.), so once you hit that section on amazon or whatever, you'll find a ton. Your library will have them, and then you could just buy the ones you like best to watch again.

I notice your dd is 6, so she might be ready to start watching Jane Austen films with you. :)

Some others suggestions, although I don't know if your children would be interested:

Anne of Green Gables - 1 & 2

American Girl DVD's - Samantha, Felicity, etc.

Road to Avonlea (earlier seasons)

McGee & Me and Last Chance Detectives through Focus on the Family

Another website that reviews and rates movies, which includes some movies for kids: http://charitysplace.com

The Secret Garden

Madeline -- A really fantastic adaptation...

Nanny McPhee -- Really excellent. Includes some Mary Poppins-like magic. One of those few times when the movie is far better than the book that inspired it.

A Little Princess -- This is an excellent movie, but it represents a subtle yet significant change in theme from the book. I find that a shame, but taken as a movie on its own, it's really very good.

Fairy Tale

The Waterhorse -- Very much like an old-fashioned Disney movie...

The Secret of Roan Inish (In a flash back to the story of the selkie, it's apparent that the selkie woman coming out of her seal skin is naked. There's nothing explicit shown, but it was clear enough to make my kids giggle.)

Fly Away Home

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Matilda -- This is one of my favorites, but it's very much Roald Dahl... Fairy tale magic, some evil adults... Very uplifting in the end though.

We watched the short French (wordless) film "The Red Balloon" from 1956 this morning. I remember the impression this beautiful film had on me when I saw it as a child in the early 60s, and it was a joy to watch it again with my son.

To anyone with young children who has not seen the Red Balloon, I could not recommend a film more strongly.

Bill

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Balloon

My kids have enjoyed

• Babe
  • Cars
  • Curious George
  • Charlotte's Web (both the older cartoon version and the newer feature film with Dakota Fanning)
  • The Water Horse
  • Charlie & The Chocolate Factory (The older version)

My ds also loves National Geographic specials about animals and science, and the Planet Earth series. Have you considered trying to find some of the Little House on the Prairie episodes on dvd? I loved to watch that show when I was growing up.

Does your pbs station show Mr. Rogers Neighborhood that you can record? It's the one thing I let my dd watch without reservation. Little Bear is also good. And you're gonna laugh, but my dd (now 9) STILL likes Mr. Rogers and Little Bear!!! They talk nicely to each other, and I'll tell you it does carry over.

My dc love Little Bear, and so do I! I hope we never outgrow it! I saw an interview with some of the people responsible for making the Little Bear television series, and they said it was their intention to try to make it as quiet and calm as possible. It has very peaceful, pleasing music and animation, and the stories are so easy for a child to relate to. It is one of our favorites.

I am super picky too. Especially when my boys were younger. I did not like A lot of movies people would suggest to me becuase there was a lot of bickering humor. I hate that! But here is what I have enjoyed and I think your age children would enjoy:

Cars - This has a great moral to the story. There is one part where they refer to a piston and they infer pissed-on. Hate that part but my boys have never picked up on it.

Incredibles - This too has a decent moral to the story, but there is a lot of family bickering and not a lot of respect at the beginning between mom and dad. This is resolved however.

National Velvet - Great movie!

Lassie - the old TV show is so sweet and precious and Jimmy is always truly sorry when he does wrong.

Ratatouille - Can't believe nobody suggested this one yet. Again, good morals about friendship, honesty, being different etc. There is a bit of a love story to it, but nothing immoral.

Seargent York - this is an old black and white and might be bit above your kids age. But it sure teaches about convictions, bravery, humility. Love this movie!

I too suggest looking at screenit.com. I pretty much will not rent a movie without going to screenit.

HTH!

We are extremely particular about screen time here, too. When dc were 6, there weren't very movies or tv shows I approved, but we like these, too....

Mary Poppins

Little House on the Prairie series

Mr Rogers

Sound of Music (though our son was less-than-impressed with this one)

Barney movies, but your 6yo is probably too old for Barney now

I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember..agh!

Most movies I preview first. I listened to one review that I thought I could trust and the movie was horrid, imo.

Aggie

Do you mean quality film -making or titles that aren't about motherless kids, flying cars, witches, or busty mermaids? It's a difficult question. I would rather pluck out my eye balls than listen to vegetables or clocks singing.

October Sky

My Dog Skip

Fly Away Home

The Red Balloon

Babe (but not Babe II or Babe in the City or some such title)

Nanny McPhee is another movie we love, but it has magic in it, and as the children mature and learn to love, the nanny turns from ugly to beautiful. However, the "They're eating the baby!" line is worth the price of the library fines.

We also enjoyed Toy Story, Monsters Inc, & Finding Nemo. :D

For older kids, we love A League of Their Own, about the All-American Girls Basebal League during WWII. (You need to preview, however as there are a couple peeing scenes and a couple of sexual refereances some people might like to FF. It's a wonderful movie for all ages, otherwise, imo). A Knight's Tale, The Sandlot, and Wild America are also interesting and well done movies for older kids.

The original Incredible Journey (??1966>??) The one with the same narrator Charlie the Lonesome Cougar. Fantasia. Peter and the Wolf (animation, Disney, from the 50's I think). Bambi (the artwork is terrific). Nanook of the North (really....kids love this, at least mine and my nieces and nephews have). If you like Nanook, try Grass: A Nation's Struggle for Survival (about a 1920's semiannual trek over the Zagros Mnts. by 40,000 people and 100,000 animals....riveting, and my son did sound effects to the movie when he was 3).

The older David Attenborough stuff...like Trials of Life, which is a series and has all the reproductive stuff on one video, with an identifiable title.

Wallace and Gromit (clean claymation with exciting stories...and sweet) The Wrong Trousers, The Close Shave

HTH

I ditto the "classic" list.

Also:

Lassie

Little House

The Secret Garden

Homeward Bound

Balto

It's a Wonderul Life!!

Here are a few:

Shirley Temple Classics

Disney Classic Movies (Pollyanna, Chittty Chitty Bang Bang, etc.)

Sound of Music

National Velvet

On the newer side... Finding Nemo, Toy Story 1/2, Curious George, Cars, The Lion King

NEST Videos make quite a few movies (animated, etc.) with Bible Stories and Heroes, Scientists, etc.

I like the Max Lucado series (Hermie), my children love Veggie Tales (although I find them annoying... something about singing and talking vegetables is a bit too imaginative for me).

I don't know the ages of your children, but if older, I could say things like Facing the Giants, and Amazing Grace

These are just a few of the movies out there (a very small few). The Dove Foundation also has a long list of reccomendations and reviews.

Good luck!

Do you mean quality film -making or titles that aren't about motherless kids, flying cars, witches, or busty mermaids?

Yes, I was looking for "titles" (without the busty mermaids)!

Dd picked out Peter Pan recently at the video store - it was terrible (IMO) - especially the mermaids scene where they are in a full-on cat-fight over Peter and they then try to drown Wendy as she's very obviously viewed as competition to them - how awful is that for a children's movie! Dd loved the acrobatics of Petter, but IMO, it was t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. We went for an older (British) Lassie movie and that one was too scary with men chasing Lassie with guns.

I'm a big old classics fan - I love (for my viewing) old B&W movies with the movie legends. I just don't have the stomach for much of anything new - and I hope to pass on an appreciation for quality in movies, just as I try to with books.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT RESPONSES - I ordered 8 dvds tonight using this list and still have many here to research, so I suspect that should keep us going for a while! :lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::D :D:D