What would you do re employment

Melissa in Australia

what would you do re employment  

25 members have voted

1. 1. would you reapply?

• Yes
    • no
    • another option that I cannot think of

So for all this year I have been working one day a week teaching at a local primary school. I had a one year contract. 6 weeks ago the principal rang me and asked me if I would be interested in rolling over the contract and working 2 days next year. all the other teachers thought I was going to be working 2 days next year. Especially the teacher who I would be sharing the classroom in.  3 weeks ago the principal approached me and said he was a bit uncertain if my contract would be renewed as he  was negotiating for a specialized sports teacher and may need to offer 5 days a week work. fine. 2 weeks ago I asked him what had he decided would I be working next year or not ( I worded it nicer than that). He said he was still undecided but he had employed a sports teacher 3 days a week. Last Friday he told me that he had advertised my job.

I am a bit miffed that he kept me hanging for all those weeks as there were 2 other part time teaching jobs advertised at other local schools that I didn't apply for as I though I had a job for next year.

So what would you do? apply for the job? Take it that as he has advertised the job that he is dissatisfied with me and not apply? Job applications close in 2 days.

We are not desperate for the money and 2 days a week would have been very very tricky to manage with everything else.

I have made a poll and am hoping that it attaches

Does he have to advertise the job before offering it to you, or could he have simply renewed your contract? I was thinking that perhaps if the new job description includes more days/hours, it might have to be advertised.

If there is no such requirement, I would come right out and ask him what's going on.

• Like 1

I'd have to ask him why he asked me to extend my contract and then later advertised my position. What changed?  My method is to word it very simply and then just stop talking and look at the person.   Give him an opportunity to explain himself. When he does, you might decide he's not a person you want to work with. Or you might find out there's some sort of misunderstanding.  Either way, you want to know. 

Bummer- I'd be upset to go from 'they want me even more' to him posting the job opening. 

• Like 3

6 weeks ago: He said "would you be interested in 2 days next year?"  You said?

3 weeks ago: He said your contract may not be renewed, because it may go to 5 days.

2 weeks ago: You asked him about your job, he said it was undecided.

I don't really understand why you didn't apply for the other jobs if you were interested in them.  It doesn't sound like anything was set in stone about your position and even 3 weeks ago he told you that your position was up in the air.

I have worked for schools in the USA and honestly that is just the way it is with contracts.  You get what you signed up for.  Any heads-up about position changes are just a courtesy and aren't set in stone.  Every temporary employee I worked with always assumed their position was going to go away, and applied for every job they were interested in. 

Sorry this happened to you. I am guessing that there is a lot more in the discussions you two had that made you feel secure, but honestly, with temporary positions you have to always be ready to move on. 

Apply for the position.  If you want what they have to offer, then take it. But....also start applying for other jobs that interest you.  

• Like 1

It's hard to answer without knowing why they advertised the position without just offering it to you first.

I think you have previously said it would be difficult for you to go to 2 days.  It sounds like you are not excited about the position or the boss, and the money isn't a deciding factor.  I am leaning toward "don't apply."

I think the principal sounds too flaky to work for, to be honest. Sometimes flaky people are intimidated by high achievers. You are supermom, and I think you probably scare him a little. You should work for people that are your own level of functionality. This guy doesn't cut it in my book.

• Like 2

I'd have to ask him why he asked me to extend my contract and then later advertised my position. What changed? My method is to word it very simply and then just stop talking and look at the person. Give him an opportunity to explain himself. When he does, you might decide he's not a person you want to work with. Or you might find out there's some sort of misunderstanding. Either way, you want to know.

Bummer- I'd be upset to go from 'they want me even more' to him posting the job opening.

:iagree:

I see no reason why you shouldn't simply ask the principal for clarification. Don't apply for the new job until you speak with him and find out what's going on. His answer may be something you weren't expecting, but whatever he says will help you decide whether or not you want to continue working for him. But don't go in with a negative attitude, as you don't know what his response will be. :)

• Like 1

Schools are like that. If you are on contract, they can mess you about as much as they like.

My ex applied for a job teaching computer science at the Deaf school where he'd been working for over a year as the computer maintenance guy. He knew the students, the teachers, the company the maintenance was outsourced to and the language. Instead of hiring him, the powers that be hired another chick who couldn't sign and an interpreter.

When he was on contract work (different school,) his job went from full time to .4 over the summer holidays, then by the time the summer holidays were over backup to .8. Well, they paid him .8 but he worked full time.

Schools are like that. If you are on contract, they can mess you about as much as they like.

My ex applied for a job teaching computer science at the Deaf school where he'd been working for over a year as the computer maintenance guy. He knew the students, the teachers, the company the maintenance was outsourced to and the language. Instead of hiring him, the powers that be hired another chick who couldn't sign and an interpreter.

When he was on contract work (different school,) his job went from full time to .4 over the summer holidays, then by the time the summer holidays were over backup to .8. Well, they paid him .8 but he worked full time.

Wow, that seems so unfair. :(

sometimes offering grace is the best thing you can do.  pretend you think he listed the job because he needs someone @ 2 days a week, and he thought you weren't interested.  they did ask you if you wanted to do 2 days, but you were unsure.  and they do need to fill the position.

If I wanted/was able to do 2 days a week - I'd apply. (and let them know you have been able to give it the consideration the increased commitment deserves and have applied.)  If I really couldn't do 2 days (for whatever reason), I wouldn't.

sometimes offering grace is the best thing you can do. pretend you think he listed the job because he needs someone @ 2 days a week, and he thought you weren't interested. they did ask you if you wanted to do 2 days, but you were unsure. and they do need to fill the position.

If I wanted/was able to do 2 days a week - I'd apply. (and let them know you have been able to give it the consideration the increased commitment deserves and have applied.) If I really couldn't do 2 days (for whatever reason), I wouldn't.

I agree. Assume the best until you find out otherwise. Hopefully, this is just a misunderstanding and the principal still wants you for the job. For all you know, he may have misunderstood you and come to the conclusion that you weren't interested. Definitely ask for clarification before you decide not to apply.

there are no other contracts available now apart form this one. All the other jobs have been filled 6 weeks ago when I had said yes to his offer of rolling over my contract. the school year ends this week ( Schools in Aus go form Jan to Dec)

I have this contract as a graduate position . It has been advertised as a level 1 or 2 position. I can apply for those level jobs but it would be unlikely that I would be able to complete against a higher level teacher.

The principle is a new to the job principal and did basically the same thing to another teacher at the same school, except he told her to apply for the job (as sports teacher) as he wanted her ( she had been doing the job this year)- but hired someone else.

He definatly knew I was interested. I am guessing he doesn't want me.